• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 comes out on PC in 1 month from today, how many are still excited?

Not very excited, I have three 300's on my PS4 version (yeah, I know, but it wasn't really that hard with no raiding at all) and not really that interested in doing it all over again on PC since there really isn't anything I am interested in doing at end game. Don't like the PVP, would rather play PUBG or Titanfall 2 or upcoming Battlefront 2. Don't like the raid, too many mechanics and stuff.

I currently have it on pre order from best buy since it would end up costing $40+tax ($48 - $10 pre order bonus) and I know a few friends who will play casually so might be fun to pop in every now and then. I'd be a 100% easy choice if Bungie would support cross platform so I wouldn't have to relevel my chars. They also haven't said anything about DLCs, will they release on all platforms at the same time or is PC going to lag behind two months again?

molnizzle

I'd be a 100% easy choice if Bungie would support cross platform so I wouldn't have to relevel my chars. They also haven't said anything about DLCs, will they release on all platforms at the same time or is PC going to lag behind two months again?

Yeah.

All character data is stored server side. There’s literally no reason they couldn’t let you switch between PC and PS4 using the same guardians.

Bungie is so goddamn infuriating sometimes.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I thought I was all in on the PC version. But after playing through the game on PS4, not sure I can do it again.

Strakt

Not very excited, I have three 300's on my PS4 version (yeah, I know, but it wasn't really that hard with no raiding at all) and not really that interested in doing it all over again on PC since there really isn't anything I am interested in doing at end game. Don't like the PVP, would rather play PUBG or Titanfall 2 or upcoming Battlefront 2. Don't like the raid, too many mechanics and stuff.

I currently have it on pre order from best buy since it would end up costing $40+tax ($48 - $10 pre order bonus) and I know a few friends who will play casually so might be fun to pop in every now and then. I'd be a 100% easy choice if Bungie would support cross platform so I wouldn't have to relevel my chars. They also haven't said anything about DLCs, will they release on all platforms at the same time or is PC going to lag behind two months again?

Source: https://twitter.com/juliotulho/status/875492984057450497

ViciousDS

Banned
Played destiny 2 casually on console to experience the story. Quit when the raid came out, haven't had it spoiled yet. Cannot wait to play it on PC. It was sooooooo much better than console in just feel.i wasn't going to ruin the best part of the game without playing the best version baby!

Jabronium

Was going to double dip but given that after about 30 hours I feel like there's nothing left to do on the PS4 version, will probably pass.

AXE

Bought it when it became available. I guess I will try to appreciate it for as long as it lasts - but again having very little end game content makes me wanna punch myself in the face. Last gorram time I will give Bungie my monies. Wasted potential. Sad.

VandalD

I was initially interested in Destiny 2, but it feels too slow for me. I was never really into Halo, and playing the beta just felt like playing Halo again. There are other things I'd have issues with that have come out since the console release, but it's not really relevant since I don't like how the game feels in the first place.
You realize Warframe has a far more egregious monetization scheme, right? It’s a literal f2p title that lets you spend money to speed up progression.
You can call it egregious if you want, but Warframe doesn't make you pay $60 up front to play it, doesn't have any season passes you have to pay for to get extra content later, and you can earn everything in the game through pure playtime, whether it's grinding out materials yourself, or selling things for the premium currency to then buy on the market.

Swarna

”Onfe you remove the thing that makes it better than everything else, it stops being better than everything else."

Strictly talking about controller play obviously. Only way I play video games these days.
Yes, but surely you can see why this can become a hindrance to Destiny 2's success on PC where the majority will be be experiencing bland FPS gameplay? You can't pull masses of controller-maining PC players out of thin air and double-dippers are a niche category. Pretty much every other game on B.net is unplayable (or inconvenient) on game pads so there'd be an even bigger KBM bias than usual on that platform. The hype for the game is over and we still have an entire month to go for its release. The thing that could've given it some longevity when content updates are slow is PVP to entice dedicated competitive populations, but we've got a very non-competitive environment for that with inconsistent 20-40 tick rate peer-to-peer connections (which PC players will notice and be turned off by) and aim assist enabled. Not to mention mandatory DLC costs over the $60 base game which is a model that correlates to low playerbases on the PC market.

I have no doubt D2 PC will carve out a niche player base as most games do but it's hard to see it do better than that.

molnizzle

Yes, but surely you can see why this can become a hindrance to Destiny 2's success on PC where the majority will be be experiencing bland FPS gameplay? You can't pull masses of controller-maining PC players out of thin air and double-dippers are a niche category. Pretty much every other game on B.net is unplayable (or inconvenient) on game pads so there'd be an even bigger KBM bias than usual on that platform. The hype for the game is over and we still have an entire month to go for its release. The thing that could've given it some longevity when content updates are slow is PVP to entice dedicated competitive populations, but we've got a very non-competitive environment for that with inconsistent 20-40 tick rate peer-to-peer connections (which PC players will notice and be turned off by) and aim assist enabled. Not to mention mandatory DLC costs over the $60 base game which is a model that correlates to low playerbases on the PC market.

I have no doubt D2 PC will carve out a niche player base as most games do but it's hard to see it do better than that.

This just strikes be as misguided PC elitism. The market on PC isn't quite as hardcore as you think it is. Those players might bounce off of D2 on the platform, but Bungie doesn't care much about them anyway. D2 is already incredibly casual friendly. It's for normal people.

If anything they're looking to attract new users to Battle.net, not poach them from Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. They'll be fairly successful in that.

Most of the competitive Destiny streamers are migrating to PC when that version hits. There will be a lot of Twitch coverage of the PC version. It'll grow organically over time, just like the console version of the first game.

You can call it egregious if you want, but Warframe doesn't make you pay $60 up front to play it, doesn't have any season passes you have to pay for to get extra content later, and you can earn everything in the game through pure playtime, whether it's grinding out materials yourself, or selling things for the premium currency to then buy on the market.

You can earn everything in Destiny by pure playtime as well. Game even gives you a buff to accelerate your first 3 Bright Engrams every week.

Only difference is you pay up front to play, and you pay for expansions. Far more palatable to me than free-to-play fuckery that has you constantly buying double XP tokens to level up your shit. Give me a flat rate purchase any day.

Only difference is you pay up front to play, and you pay for expansions. Far more palatable to me than free-to-play fuckery that has you constantly buying double XP tokens to level up your shit. Give me a flat rate purchase any day.

I highly suggest you do a little research before speaking about Warframes model. I get what your point is but it's also clear you have literally no idea how Warframe works.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Any date on the first DLC coming out? Because if it's day and date on PC, I feel like I'm going to feel pretty burnt when I've been playing for only a short while and they've already got something new for me to buy.

mid december for the first expansion i think. more time between PC release and expansion release than PS4 + PC release.

molnizzle

I highly suggest you do a little research before speaking about Warframes model. I get what your point is but it's also clear you have literally no idea how Warframe works.

The only game I've played nearly as much as Destiny is Warframe. 600+ hours. And a few hundred dollars.

LAA

If they let me use my PS4 characters on it I'll be in, But atm I'm slowing down on Destiny 2 already with 3 high power characters already and the thought of doing it again on PC, even at 60fps doesn't excite me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If they let me use my PS4 characters on it I'll be in, But atm I'm slowing down on Destiny 2 already with 3 high power characters already and the thought of doing it again on PC, even at 60fps doesn't excite me.

the way i see it is that i'll get to play the rest of Destiny 2, expansions included, at 60fps, better graphics, and controls. if you stick with PS4 then you're stuck with 30fps, 1080p, and crap graphics and playing on a controller.

it'll be a bit rough starting over again but once the first expansion drops then it'll all be a thing of the past.

The only game I've played nearly as much as Destiny is Warframe. 600+ hours. And a few hundred dollars.

Then why do you spend money on affinity boosters? (not tokens)

Progression without those is more than fine, they are not even close to being necessary to progress at a reasonable rate.

Strakt

I'm honestly glad they decided not to allow cross play saves due to the fact that I wanna be playing a brand new character just like everyone else at launch. I would hate to be level 1 and see a bunch of power level 300s+ running around. The best hype is launch hype IMO.

Hopefully they add some sort of system that allows to transfer characters between platforms at a later date!

molnizzle

Then why do you spend money on affinity boosters? (not tokens)

Progression without those is more than fine, they are not even close to being necessary to progress at a reasonable rate.

You're arguing semantics here? Boosters, tokens, whatever you want to call them. Fact is you can pay money to level stuff up at twice the normal rate. The normal rate feels painful slow after that. The fact that 200% progression is even an option is impossible to ignore. You're literally wasting time if you don't do it.

That's honestly what attracted me to Destiny in the first place. No double XP booster shit. Buy once, play forever. Warframe is not that at all. People just give it a pass because it's free to play. I'd much rather just pay $60 and not have to worry that I'm wasting my time.

The point I was making to the other poster was that if he finds Destiny 2's monetization distasteful then he's in for a rude awakening with Warframe. It's objectively worse.

SkylineRKR

I think its a worse game than the vanilla version of the original, despite sporting better QoL stuff. At least with the original, there was a myriad of VoG loot to chase. Not to mention weekly strikes, daily missions... and dare I say it, a better and broader PvP.

worse PvP with little choices on what to play, less maps than vanilla D1.
worse strikes, less than vanilla D1. No choice on what to play.
Big focus on primary weapons, weird choices for heavy weapons though understandable for PvP, it does limit PvE even further.
Everyone has the same weapon, down to the perks. Exotics are non-customizable.

Once I hit 275, I played the Raid and was pretty much done with the game. Haven't booted it up since.

Swarna

This just strikes be as misguided PC elitism. The market on PC isn't quite as hardcore as you think it is.

None of what I said is controversial. The hardcore will play your game during long stretches of content droughts when casuals will not be anywhere in sight. And the ones on PC do care and notice the underlying infrastructure more often and will have a different set of expectations for competitive integrity than the hardcore bases of the console versions. Overwatch of all games had to implement a competitive mode and implement 60hz update rates eventually. P2P gameplay in 2017 is unheard of.

I'll note that every single one of D2 PC's deterrents to success are addressable but Bungie's attitude towards keeping every aspect about the PC version uniform with the console version (gameplay, monetary model, underlying infrastructure, etc.) is going to ensure some damage being done even if they change their minds later (which seems doubtful). There's some merit to that approach but it really ignores how different the PC and console markets are.

Bold One

As far as the DLC is concerned, it needs to be big, I mean really big, TTK size otherwise those looking for an excuse to fly off the handle with the usual Destiny vitriol will wank themselves into a coma.

Will the PC OT thread be merged into the current one?

badblue

I never got a chance to play the first one, so I was pretty excited to play the beta. I really like the beta. I liked it enough to pre-order.

But, the more I see of Destiny 2, the less I want to play it. And I've gotten to the point where I don't really care any more, so I contacted b.net support and got a refund on my pre-order.

VandalD

I'm honestly glad they decided not to allow cross play saves due to the fact that I wanna be playing a brand new character just like everyone else at launch. I would hate to be level 1 and see a bunch of power level 300s+ running around. The best hype is launch hype IMO.

Hopefully they add some sort of system that allows to transfer characters between platforms at a later date!
Seems like they'd be better off allowing people to transfer their saves. The console veterans will get to continue what they're doing, and the newbies on PC get to see what powerful characters look like. Besides, console players could always start up a new class at level one, right?
The point I was making to the other poster was that if he finds Destiny 2's monetization distasteful then he's in for a rude awakening with Warframe. It's objectively worse.
I'd disagree with that, but I think it comes down to how much self control you have. You can play Warframe forever and not pay anything. Seeing boosters doesn't mean you have to have them, and they aren't at all necessary to make progress. You know that after 600+ hours of playing. I would say it's objectively better, but to each their own.

molnizzle

I'd disagree with that, but I think it comes down to how much self control you have. You can play Warframe forever and not pay anything. Seeing boosters doesn't mean you have to have them, and they aren't at all necessary to make progress. You know that after 600+ hours of playing. I would say it's objectively better, but to each their own.

These games are literally designed to take advantage of people with addictive personalities.

The difference between Destiny and Warframe is that Warframe monetizes that addiction. Destiny just wants to you have a good time with your friends. If you want to have more good times with your friends in the future, you can buy the expansion.

Warframe has the typical free-to-play model you see in nearly every mobile game. You progress slower if you don't pay. Shit is fucking gross.

There was an easy solution here. The PC client should have launched alongside the console versions. Problem solved.

I'm just talking about cross-save though, not cross-play.

It's not rocket science . Give me a FPS game with better end game . What don't you get ???

You don't get it. Winning the trophy of 'best FPS end game' is pyrrhic. There is no competition, thus nothing to beat: 'end-game' just isn't a 'thing' in most FPS at all. That's not to say it's not good (although, old argument, it's still limited and narrow and short, imo, I've 'finished' end-game other than the raid now. Did not take long, was not varied), but it's like pointing at a picture on a wall all by itself and saying 'that's the best picture on that wall!' as if that means anything significant to anyone. As for 'raids better than whatever dungeons' you're throwing around, whatever you like. Your comparisons are still off-base.

Strakt

These games are literally designed to take advantage of people with addictive personalities.

The difference between Destiny and Warframe is that Warframe monetizes that addiction. Destiny just wants to you have a good time with your friends. If you want to have more good times with your friends in the future, you can buy the expansion.

Warframe has the typical free-to-play model you see in nearly every mobile game. You progress slower if you don't pay. Shit is fucking gross.

There was an easy solution here. The PC client should have launched alongside the console versions. Problem solved.

I'm just talking about cross-save though, not cross-play.

Yea i was talking about cross saves as well from ps4/xbox to pc. I wanted the game to come out on launch day as well , but iirc there were still a lot of issues and bugs with the PC beta. While it ran, looked, and played amazing.. there were some options under AA weren't working properly, some graphic cards had issues, game crashed randomly, etc.. Hopefully the future for Destiny 2 on PC meets players expectations.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Lol you’re glad they don’t allow cross play saves. C’mon.

molnizzle

You don't get it. Winning the trophy of 'best FPS end game' is pyrrhic. There is no competition, thus nothing to beat: 'end-game' just isn't a 'thing' in most FPS at all. That's not to say it's not good (although, old argument, it's still limited and narrow and short, imo, I've 'finished' end-game other than the raid now. Did not take long, was not varied), but it's like pointing at a picture on a wall all by itself and saying 'that's the best picture on that wall!' as if that means anything significant to anyone. As for 'raids better than whatever dungeons' you're throwing around, whatever you like. Your comparisons are still off-base.

That's kind of the point. 3 years later and there's still nothing else quite like Destiny on the market.

I would be excited if I haven't played it first on my PS4P and realized how shallow it is :'(

Something like Warframe completely annihilates it in terms of depth, replayability, stuff to do, etc.

It was very fun going through the main campaign on my hunter and then doing public events/strikes get better loot. I got to like ~275 and stopped because I got bored. Didn't even bother doing the raid.

It's just too shallow. No matter what you do basically boils down to getting tokens to raise the specific faction level so you can get a random item. No variety.

In Warframe you have the foundry, void relics, sorties, alerts, etc etc. And 30 types of Warframes to try out with varying builds due to mods.

It kinda reminds of me the difference between Diablo 3 and PoE. The former is flashier, built by a bigger team with a better marketing campaign, and the gameplay is more refined. But the latter is infinitely more deep.

edit: Forgot to mention the actual Warfames themselves are more fun to play because they have more abilities, and because they make you feel more like a god with the way you can dash through the level, shoot in slow mo, wall run, etc.

SkylineRKR

I like Warframe more as well but it is very slow if you don't throw cash at it (its quite a grind, and then building takes days). If WF was a retail game with faster progression, I might've not played anything else.

Kade

I'm still pretty hyped but mostly because I've avoided reading up on the game or looking at pictures or videos aside from any untagged posts that appear on my Twitter feed.

People are so good at leveling already, you're gonna be seeing raid ready characters on day one on PC. All character transfers would do is save people hours of errand running, and make a more enticing package for people on the fence of double dipping.

After hearing about the amount of content at launch + the microtransaction stuff, I think I'm just going to wait for them to release a version that's bundled with all of the expansions

Bold One

I would be excited if I haven't played it first on my PS4P and realized how shallow it is :'(

Something like Warframe completely annihilates it in terms of depth, replayability, stuff to do, etc.

It was very fun going through the main campaign on my hunter and then doing public events/strikes get better loot. I got to like ~275 and stopped because I got bored. Didn't even bother doing the raid.

It's just too shallow. No matter what you do basically boils down to getting tokens to raise the specific faction level so you can get a random item. No variety.

In Warframe you have the foundry, void relics, sorties, alerts, etc etc. And 30 types of Warframes to try out with varying builds due to mods.

It kinda reminds of me the difference between Diablo 3 and PoE. The former is flashier, built by a bigger team with a better marketing campaign, and the gameplay is more refined. But the latter is infinitely more deep.

edit: Forgot to mention the actual Warfames themselves are more fun to play because they have more abilities, and because they make you feel more like a god with the way you can dash through the level, shoot in slow mo, wall run, etc.

Warframe is great, but the more I play it, the more it seems they just threw in everything they thought would be cool.

As far as in its depth goes....eh - after a while it becomes a baffling ordeal - and archwing missions can go fuck themselves. Content for the sake of content makes the game a chore.

As for the warframes? they suffer from a teenage edge syndrome - I stick with Excalibur because it seems they just lumped in a ton of over-designed shite they think looks cool.

The one thing that warframe does unequivocally better than Destiny is movement (although one is first person and the other is 3rd person), Bungie could learn so much from DE on this one. Although WF is almost impenetrable in its systems, D2's systems have the depth of a teaspoon, there is almost nothing to play with in the subclass abilities.

But as far as loot goes, Destiny wins by several margins, having to wait days for the foundry to build a weapon or armour is the height of controller-snapping tedium, you don't get the rush of decrypting a thing or have drops from an enemy.

I see people bring up warframe all the time in destiny threads thinking they're being smart or in the know - but underneath all the great work DE have done, WF is a rather cynical game with a lot of complexity and depth but little respect for the player's time. It gets a pass because, well, its free.

At the end of the day, they are very different games looking to achieve very different things.

Definitely, as 60+ FPS, general performance improvements, better visuals, and the option of another input device is all I need.

Love Destiny, however, it's not without it's warts either but there is literally nothing else like it.

thumb

Banned
I see people bring up warframe all the time in destiny threads thinking they're being smart or in the know - but underneath all the great work DE have done, WF is a rather cynical game with a lot of complexity and depth but little respect for the player's time. It gets a pass because, well, its free.

At the end of the day, they are very different games looking to achieve very different things.

People bring it up all the time because Warframe is the closest to Destiny of any other game currently on the market. They are only "very different games looking to achieve very different things" to people who are deep into the mechanics. Both games are competing for the same audience, and they largely scratch the same itch.

jryeje29

I'm super hyped for the release, that and assassin's Creed origins we're my most anticipated for this time of the year so that week is gonna be great for me.

Top Bottom