• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"'Destiny 2' Included a Legendary Gauntlet With a White Supremacist Logo"

Man it sucks that that kek is a bad thing now. I remember original WoW, maybe even still in modern WoW for all I know, you couldn't understand the enemy faction because the game hashed what they were saying, so "lol" got translated to "kek" and people basically used it as horde laughing at alliance etc. Just a silly WoW reference.
Interesting, prob grew on 4chan and eventually became a racist symbol like Pepe the frog. I never knew this till now.

Marcel

Not surprised some asshole was able to slip this in. Before this I had never even heard of that flag so it was probably really easy to go unnoticed.

Hope Bungie find the person and fire them

Bungie's capacity to do anything would very limited if it was determined to be from an outside studio brought on as temporary. All they could do is hand over the name of the person involved and hope the right decision would be made.

I mean, I'm not surprised that some racist prankster on the Bungie art team got this through considering I didn't even know that this Kekistan racist meme had a flag at all. This is why you have your high-ups double and triple check things though.

Yeah same here, is never heard of this until today.

SgtCobra

I can't read the full flavor text but this had to be intentional.

....so few possess it. Own it. Enjoy it. - The Speaker

Must be referring to White privilege. Didn't the Speaker wear all white as well...
I doubt (outsourced) armor designers have anything to say about that flavor text which sometimes contains essential lore. In this case it doesn't but this seems a bit far fetched.
I don't understand that last part about the speaker wearing white though.

Bungie's capacity to do anything would very limited if it was determined to be from an outside studio brought on as temporary. All they could do is hand over the name of the person involved and hope the right decision would be made.

Bungie/Activision have a lot more leverage than that.

Definitely intentional by the team member that made it

Went under the radar though for everyone else in charge

Damn son

Well I hope they make an example out if that asshole

Marcel

Bungie/Activision have a lot more leverage than that.

The contract work would be considered finished though. I'm sure the outside studio would be pressed to terminate the employee to maintain a future working relationship with Bungie and Activision obviously. They've been made to look foolish so I'm sure they want the prankster to pay and not work in the industry anymore.

v1lla21

I can't read the full flavor text but this had to be intentional.

....so few possess it. Own it. Enjoy it. - The Speaker

Must be referring to White privilege. Didn't the Speaker wear all white as well...
First thing that popped into my mind as well.

Deku Tree

The contract work would be considered finished though. I'm sure the outside studio would be pressed to terminate the employee to maintain a future working relationship with Bungie and Activision obviously.

In this hypothetical scenario they may already be terminated simply because the contract expired and they were no longer needed.

Marcel

Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if this was seen as a gross breach of contract to the point where they'd get quite a bit of money refunded from the 3rd party.

Like, this is kind of a big deal.

We don't know the terms of the contract and this gauntlet design also passed inspection from Bungie themselves. I'm not exactly sure if they have a leg to stand on without knowing if this was definitely outside design work and the terms of their agreement.

Marcel

In this hypothetical scenario they may already be terminated simply because the contract expired and they were no longer needed.

I suppose this could be true as well. They could have just been a temporary hire who was given their papers regardless and not an employee of an outside contracted studio.

Great that they removed it, I had no idea it was even a thing to be honest. This could be a case of an artist googled flags and didn't realize what it was either.

Didn't a similar thing happen with uncharted and assassins creed?

Cornbread78

We don't know the terms of the contract and this gauntlet design also passed inspection from Bungie themselves. I'm not exactly sure if they have a leg to stand on without knowing if this was definitely outside design work and the terms of their agreement.

TBF from a Bungie standpoint. I'm in no way sheltered, but I had no idea what any of that meant from Kek to Pepe the frog, lol.

I could easily see it passing through QA because they do not pay attention to the alternate political scene...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think this is a litmus test for gaf. Would you still wear these guantlets knowing its a KKK logo or dismantle this 300 light piece that will push your light level down by 10 levels?

This needs to be a poll.

Ghazi

Great that they removed it, I had no idea it was even a thing to be honest. This could be a case of an artist googled flags and didn't realize what it was either.

Didn't a similar thing happen with uncharted and assassins creed?
I doubt it.

Marcel

I think this is a litmus test for gaf. Would you still wear these guantlets knowing its a KKK logo or dismantle this 300 light piece that will push your light level down by 10 levels?

This needs to be a poll.

Is infusion still a thing in Destiny 2? You could always trash this gear and keep the same Light level with the new infused gear.

eliochip

Was a fan of Destiny 1 and held off on this. Definitely not buying this now

Fucking bullshit man, this shit must be everywhere in games, just hidden

Yeah, there's no way that this was just a low key coincidence. It's way too similar.

I can definitely see how it flew under the radar at Bungie, though. I've never heard of any of this "Kekistani Flag" fuckery until today.

Anne

Huh, that's interesting. What turned it into such a thing?

It's been a thing used on chans and other various internet places since WoW. It became associated with memes via 4Chan, especially Pepe. Once they got Pepe, they took kek with it. That's the basic gist, I'm sure some dude with a dissertation in memeology or whatever can point to something more definite.

So you're going to skip the game because they removed this the second they were aware of it? Strange message to send.

Good on Bungie for removing it.

Trace

Banned

They literally already said they were removing it, it's not like Bungie is out there standing for white supremacy, they've stated the opposite many times. Some fuckwit artist probably put it in there and no one noticed where it was actually from until now.

Why would you not buy a game that no one had any idea had something like this in it but the person that made it?

Like there were 1000 people involved with the development of this game, and most people don't even know this flag is a white supremacy thing. Seems awfully weird to skip a game entirely due to something that is being removed and was never intended to be in their from the dev team if they knew what it was

I always thought kek was another onomatopoeia for a type of laugh, like "hurfdurf" or "pfft"
It was, originally. "Kekekeke" was the Korean version of "Hehehehe". That spread via online games, and I assume eventually turned into the shorthand "kek" like "lol". No idea how it got attached to white supremacy via 4chan though. (Aside from it being popular on 4chan, and there being white supremacists that visit 4chan)

Alienous

This needs to be a poll.

That ignores option 3, wait for Bungie to change the design in a patch, which is the sensible option.

If you dont buy the game even though you want it they win man. The point is they dont want you to share in their hobby. They want you to feel unwelcome. They want you to leave. They want you to feel like you don't belong. They are patching it out.

I am not into Destiny but the point of these things is to make minorities want to leave. Keep that on mind.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Huh, that's interesting. What turned it into such a thing?

The article in the OP gives a brief overview:

Without going into the long lineage of bullshit memes that are the signs and sigils of modern white supremacy's public face, the "Kekistan flag" combines a popular internet shorthand that became a symbol of white supremacist sympathies with the German military flag of Hitler's Third Reich. Drawing an explicit connection to Nazi violence was of course the point of the flag, allowing white supremacists to reskin the classic symbols of Nazism in a way that would fly under many people's radars, providing a bit of camouflage to their efforts to reassert themselves into public spaces and modern political discourse.

Which is why the flag was so prominently on display at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, where a white supremacist aimed a car into a crowd of protesters and murdered one of them and injured dozens of others.

After those events, the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit advocacy organization which monitors hate groups in America, offered analysis about the flag's purpose in these groups:

The "national flag of Kekistan" mimics a German Nazi war flag, with the Kek logo replacing the swastika and the green replacing the infamous German red. A 4chan logo is emblazoned in the upper left hand corner. Alt-righters are particularly fond of the way the banner trolls liberals who recognize its origins.

To be clear, the iconography on the Road Complex AA1 gauntlets is not identical, but its green coloration, and the shape of the KEK lettering are obvious signals. Doubtless there will be people who refuse to acknowledge the very clear symbolism here, much in the same way that the Kekistan flag itself was designed to give overt symbols of Nazi allegiance an ironic cover story. The entire cartoonish nature of modern white supremacist symbolism is to make clear, sincere statements of belief that believers can then turn around and masquerade as an edgy joke.

But that's a shell game where in the name of fairness someone can be asked to provide endless proof of what is evident to the naked eye. It's a way to make victims and targets seem ridiculous while their abusers and assailants are portrayed as mere jesters from the court of internet dadaism, with no connection to real-world harassment and violence.

Teletraan1

Banned
Why is everything turned into a white supremacist thing? Wasn't kek translated lol in WoW when you were the other faction? How do we go from that to white supremacy? And who decides who owns something? Who makes the most memes?

Top Bottom