• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"'Destiny 2' Included a Legendary Gauntlet With a White Supremacist Logo"

Noaloha

I'm colour blind so I'm not 100% sure --- background's obvs green, but is that lettering a muted shade of purple? (As in the 'piccolo dick' green & purple rape joke meme?)

shamanick

To be fair I don't think this particular symbol is very mainstream known at all. I'm on GAF all day every day which is pretty in tune with this sort of thing and I'd never heard of it before today

it's pretty well-known in more neutral places like Twitter or Reddit (and all over pol of course)

DeviantBoi

I saw the gauntlet and thought that it was being removed because it had two KKs that could've maybe been a reference to the KKK.

I thought that it was ridiculous.

Then I saw the flag.

Oh, yeah, that shit was on purpose.

The ๖ۜBronx;248731931 said:
Good job on Bungie for getting on top of it and fixing it. Intentional or otherwise it's close enough to draw recognition and comparison and to that extent draw the same feelings for people that are targetted by it.

If it was intentional, then I have no idea how a designer expected it to go unnoticed in a game played by millions. It's not like its hidden in a belt buckle or something.

I think his intention was for it to be found

It was, originally. "Kekekeke" was the Korean version of "Hehehehe". That spread via online games, and I assume eventually turned into the shorthand "kek" like "lol". No idea how it got attached to white supremacy via 4chan though. (Aside from it being popular on 4chan, and there being white supremacists that visit 4chan)

That may be true, but Ive always heard kek came from World of WarCraft. In game Alliance players spoke Common and Horde players Orcish, making it impossible to communicate with words cross-faction. When a Horde player typed "lol" the Alliance player would see it as "kek"

TheFatMan

I think his intention was for it to be found

I mean I'm not positive myself. Those are after all just chevrons.

I'm sure Bungie is looking into it with due diligence but god damn....maybe people should know the details before they call for the ruination of someones job and possibly life.

I mean if the guy did it on purpose then sure, hang his ass out to dry. But leaping to conclusions is dangerous and uncalled for.

Cleve

I saw the gauntlet and thought that it was being removed because it had two KKs that could've maybe been a reference to the KKK.

I thought that it was ridiculous.

Then I saw the flag.

Oh, yeah, that shit was on purpose.

Same, I was confused by the design, but next to that flag with the color scheme, it's intentional. Good on Bungie for fixing it asap.

Mithos

It pisses me off that both Pepe and "kek" have become white supremacist shit, I liked early Pepe stuff when it was just idiotic memes, now it's been stolen by racists and white supremacists.

STOP RUINING EVERYTHING WHITE SUPREMACISTS.

Maybe we should stop allowing them to steal logos/symbols/phrases, and fight them instead of running the other way every time and letting them steal them.

I get so confused by these things. So this is an alt right symbol. Got it. What is the far left/antifa symbols I need to be aware of?

I need to get caught up on all the hate, lol. I am seriously oblivious to this.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The person who did this needs to be fired. This kind of crap shouldn't be tolerated in the industry.

I get so confused by these things. So this is an alt right symbol. Got it. What is the far left/antifa symbols I need to be aware of?

I need to get caught up on all the hate, lol. I am seriously oblivious to this.
Is this some kind of "both sides" post or what?

Tubobutts

That may be true, but Ive always heard kek came from World of WarCraft. In game Alliance players spoke Common and Horde players Orcish, making it impossible to communicate with words cross-faction. When a Horde player typed "lol" the Alliance player would see it as "kek"
It's in WoW as a reference to Starcraft which as you probably know was very popular in South Korea.

Marcel

I'm sure Bungie is looking into it with due diligence but god damn....maybe people should know the details before they call for the ruination of someones job and possibly life.

I mean if the guy did it on purpose then sure, hang his ass out to dry. But leaping to conclusions is dangerous and uncalled for.

Activision being caught in a public flap with ties to racism and white supremacy means someone's head is going to roll regardless of the unlikely possibility that it was an accident. Companies are more risk-averse to this stuff than ever as a result of the Youtube adpocalypse.

Alt righters arent going out of their way to hide themselves

Im sure once they check into the employee responsible he will check all the boxes of the internet trolls we have come to "know and love"

GhaleonEB

Yeah, this sounds like the kind of thing a contract worker with little to lose - short term contract - would do and hope it gets through the reviews. If not, the artist needs to be fired.

Bungie as a whole clearly didn't mean for this to go through, but there's no way the design itself was an accident. Glad they yanked it so fast.

The ๖ۜBronx;248733755 said:
I guess, just career suicide to that extent is mind boggling to me.

Some people in such a huge "political correctness is the devil" frenzy that they believe they are doing nothing wrong

And Im sure that will be his response when confronted about it

I mean the twitter comments are already dominating the conversation "oh its just a joke that not many people would get! Its harmless"

But the context they are missing is

It absolutely would be harmless internet jokery if bad people didnt conscript this shit and use it as a rallying cry to justify hurting people

Maybe if the creators of this content didnt ignore the bad elements of their communities they could go one making dumb internet memes without issue

The problem lies in their inability to accept that they function as enablers for complete assholes

matmanx1

Hmm, had no idea KEK was a hateful thing now. Yes, I've been living under a rock. It's very unfortunate that someone put that in to Destiny 2 but at least they are removing it now.

Cleve

How did they not catch this?

I'm around the internet a lot and I had no idea what this 'kekistan' or it's flag were until today. As far as racist douchebag symbols go, it seems relatively low profile. I imagine a lot of others in the thread, and possibly the people reviewing art at bungie are in the same boat.

FyreWulff

Hmm, had no idea KEK was a hateful thing now. Yes, I've been living under a rock. It's very unfortunate that someone put that in to Destiny 2 but at least they are removing it now.

It's not just the 'kek' part, but it's specifically referencing a flag made by right wingers.

Also, in general, Bungie tends to not have memes as armor/guns in any of their games. They ain't Gearbox or Epic. Outside of the newer dances, their injokes and references are internal to themselves or their own community.

I guess HAKKE manufactures are in trouble

images

maxresdefault.jpg

The internet does a poor job policing its communities

not surprised but some communities prefer the wild west "anything goes" mentality

I mean.. no one thought twice about the antics on reddit and 4chan until their communities started negatively impacting people in real life

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
uhh...wasn't 'kek" some stupid shit 4channers came up with, it became a white supremacist symbol?? holy shit

uhh...wasn't 'kek" some stupid shit 4channers came up with, it became a white supremacist symbol?? holy shit

have you frequented 4chan?

They dont police anyone

hence why anything created there can be copted by hate groups with little to no resistance

Im not sure why people are surprised.

Why is everything turned into a white supremacist thing? Wasn't kek translated lol in WoW when you were the other faction? How do we go from that to white supremacy? And who decides who owns something? Who makes the most memes?

It was.. and thats the only way I know of the word kek. I used it as a joke in many instances as well, kek this and all that.

Holy shit, damn alt right bastards :s

Huh, wonder if Blizzard had lol translated into kek because of the Korean laugh connection.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The internet does a poor job policing its communities

not surprised but some communities prefer the wild west "anything goes" mentality

I mean.. no one thought twice about the antics on reddit and 4chan until their communities started negatively impacting people in real life

You can't really police the Internet.
4chan mods even pushed out some of the most egregious stuff off their boards from time to time - communities like this just move to smaller platforms.

Explain how would you "accidentally" run into the Kekistan racist meme flag on the internet and then be so inspired that you would borrow the iconography for your gauntlet design.

Just google image flags? I found it and a million others.
I'm not an artist so I don't know where they get their insperation.

I'm hopeful that it's a design pattern instead of a direct reference. It's not exactly the same, so it might just be an unfortunate coincidence.

I'm not ruling it out, but I'm giving the hopeful benefit of the doubt.

You can't really police the Internet.
4chan mods even pushed out some of the most egregious stuff off their boards from time to time - communities like this just move to smaller platforms.

I know

Im glad Bungie is doing the right thing here

I just with the PC police understood why there is kickback instead of complaining about how people are too sensitive these days

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why is everything turned into a white supremacist thing? Wasn't kek translated lol in WoW when you were the other faction? How do we go from that to white supremacy? And who decides who owns something? Who makes the most memes?

I don't know if kek is now the property of white supremacists, but "kekistan" was outright created by them, which is what the item was referencing.

Tiops

Yeah, that definitely is a reference to Kekistan flag. I don't think we have to treat "kek" as a white supremacist symbol, but the Kekistan itself and the flag is a different story.

Top Bottom