• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"'Destiny 2' Included a Legendary Gauntlet With a White Supremacist Logo"

Lime

Remember, there are actual white supremacists working in the games industry and possibly for your favorite game developer

Yeah, that definitely is a reference to Kekistan flag. I don't think we have to treat "kek" as a white supremacist symbol, but the Kekistan itself and the flag is a different story.

Best to retire old memes altogether

They certainly seem more important to assholes than the general populance

We dont need this old internet shit. We can leave it buried and move on

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Well....there it is.
I know I learned a lot by reading this, but I can't help but feel less intelligent somehow. This has GOT to be the stupidest thing I've heard of. How in the world did people get this ridiculously dumb and cruel??

Thanks for this.

For the ppl in the thread:

At some point, someone at 4chan happened to seize on a coincidence: There was, in fact, an Egyptian god named Kek. An androgynous god who could take either male or female form, Kek originally was depicted in female form as possessing the head of a frog or a cat and a serpent when male; but during the Greco-Roman period, the male form was depicted as a frog-headed man.

More importantly, Kek was portrayed as a bringer of chaos and darkness, which happened to fit perfectly with the alt-right’s self-image as being primarily devoted to destroying the existing world order.

There you go. How an innocent word become an anthem for hate speech and white nationalism.

TsuWave

oh man that's fucked up. that's the gauntlets i have on my hunter. i had no idea and didn't make the connection. fuck this shit, im changing that soon as i get home

i hope bungie makes a statement/fires the person responsible. that's not a coincidence

edit - they already made the statement on their twitter apparently

I know I learned a lot by reading this, but I can't help but feel less intelligent somehow. This has GOT to be the stupidest thing I've heard of. How in the world did people get this ridiculously dumb and cruel??

They feel victimized by being called out on having shitty outlook on various topics

Whats wrong with being a little racist and hateful? I have anecdotes that prove these people are shitty and whiny but not ME!!!!

"I just want to keep doing what Im doing and stop being annoyed by the grievances of people that arent amazing and intellectual like me!!!

Why am I so depressed, lonely and why do girls not like me? Just cuz I think they suck at games and should be ok with my sexist funny jokes"

These are the calibur of people that get the enable treatment from the internet

Yes I know im being broad and facetious but the fringe elements have gone out of their way to create trouble regardless of their background and Im sick of it

Raven117

Yeah, that definitely is a reference to Kekistan flag. I don't think we have to treat "kek" as a white supremacist symbol, but the Kekistan itself and the flag is a different story.

Too close for comfort.

Yup, no way that is a coincidence. Bungie and Activision have taken the proper steps and now should identify how this got in the game.

Tiops

Best to retire old memes altogether

They certainly seem more important to assholes than the general populance

We dont need this old internet shit. We can leave it buried and move on

Well, I think this gives them power to turn basically anything into a hate symbol. Suddenly we have to be careful of using any harmless picture or character on social media as it may have been turned into a meme on 4chan. As people said, WoW changes horde "lol" as "kek" for Alliance members. Should they change it now?

Aaanyway, different discussion. Bungie should remove it as they said and it's pretty easy to find who did it, as they surely use version control for their development process.

Zampano

Wait is this Kek thing actually white supremacist? I can't keep up with all this meme nonsense. My friend was posting stuff a while back about Kekistan and I didn't really get it - seemed like weird 4chan memelord stuff. Has it become full on alt right? Was it always? Is my friend a white supremacist?

Ferr986

I hope Bungie finds the guy that did this, fires him from his job, and annouce that he was fired (of course, not saying his identity). Devs need to show that this attitude is not tolerated in gaming, and has consequences.

Noaloha

oh cmon, those aren't even close...

If a Kekistan flag has been inserted into game assets by someone on staff, I think there's every reason to also be wary of any assets that have blatant green/purple colouring. Just wary. Its non-innocent inclusion would be absolutely unsurprising given the Kek-flag inclusion.

BTHR Zero X

So a Vertical Line, backwards K, 4 Horizontal Lines, a K and a Vertical Line is the same as a backwards K, 3 Horizontal Lines with a K on top and underneath the Horizontal Lines and a K....

I mean there is enough to see a difference between the two.

and KEK = LOL has been for years Star Craft > WoW then most the web.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks like a pretty generic assortment of shapes, especially considering "K" shapes are used quite a bit across Destiny's banners and sigils and whatnot.

Should obviously be removed though.

Tagyhag

I don't understand, how can you be smart enough to get a job at Bungie, but stupid enough to not realize that A) People are going to know exactly what this is considering it's barely changed and B) It can easily be traced back to you?

If a Kekistan flag has been inserted into game assets by someone on staff, I think there's every reason to also be wary of any assets that have blatant green/purple colouring. Just wary. Its non-innocent inclusion would be absolutely unsurprising given the Kek-flag inclusion.

those guns are from D1 sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well, I think this gives them power to turn basically anything into a hate symbol. Suddenly we have to be careful of using any harmless picture or character on social media as it may have been turned into a meme on 4chan. As people said, WoW changes horde "lol" as "kek" for Alliance members. Should they change it now?

Aaanyway, different discussion. Bungie should remove it as they said and it's pretty easy to find who did it, as they surely use version control for their development process.

well we just have to lean on context and intent i guess

But even then will the responsible person play the ignorance card here?

"I didn't know they flew the kek flag at hate rallies? You know I just love all the jokes from my WOW days ya know?"

shamanick

not sure if you're trolling but if not this is way overboard

Why is everything turned into a white supremacist thing? Wasn't kek translated lol in WoW when you were the other faction? How do we go from that to white supremacy? And who decides who owns something? Who makes the most memes?

Because that's what they do. Assholes from the slums of 4chan, Reddit, Voat, Twitter, etc. take whatever the fuck is not theirs whether its three letters from a WoW reference, a flag, a carton of milk, or a cartoon frog and turn it into a symbol that can be expressed with hate and racism in mind. The "liberals" call them out on using those items as hate so the deplorables response is "why are you reacting so negative about a carton of milk, flag, or a cartoon frog... you're delusional."

They are the truest snowflakes with an expertise in gaslighting.

Mit-

Good response I thought. Why are so many people flaming them for saying it was unintentional?

Yes some artist snuck this in there and is a real piece of shit, but that one lowly artist does not speak for Activision or Bungie, and I doubt QA or any people who actually do speak for them, knew about this gauntlet or what it was resembling.

Glad they identified it and are removing it quickly.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So a Vertical Line, backwards K, 4 Horizontal Lines, a K and a Vertical Line is the same as a backwards K, 3 Horizontal Lines with a K on top and underneath the Horizontal Lines and a K....

Imagine being this dense

I have to imagine that people that are creating KEK content now are accutely aware of how its used these days

I mean... yeah most of use posting here didnt know or knew the OLD context

But the guy that made this? Who knows

Read the thread dude...

Oh very mature, straight with an insult and no content. Grow up.

The idea is that the imagery is evoking a recent use of the Kekistan flag posted in the OP

That flag was indeed flown at hate rallies cuz racist assholes love them some internet memes

Whether the creator was aware of this? ehhh... I have to think he was but will he be honest when confronted I wonder

I don't really get what you're trying to say with this.

My bad, that would how the design slipped throught since that weapon line up was green in on the DLCs, that or Bungie didnt really checkup up all gear design with the exception of exotics which they design personally

My bad, that would how the design slipped throught since that weapon line up was green in on the DLCs, that or Bungie didnt really checkup up all gear design with the exception of exotics which they design personally

I mean...

Its relatively obscure regardless. They had huge teams working on this and those who are ingrained in fringe internet hate lore are probably in the minority

I have a hard time faulting them for missing this and Im happy with the rapid response

Regardless of how you feel about the impact of kek imagery the fact is that we shouldn't give fringe elements ANYTHING to rally around

And retiring kek is a small price to pay to push back against these people IMHO

Who gives a shit what the history of the meme was.

I have read the thread and you can see clear differences. While there is no denying there is some similarities there is a still gap between the two.

Maybe Kek would still be a funny reference if the community that created it didnt let their worst members run wild

bad apples spoil the bunch man

And Yes I know enforcement of this sort of thing is fucking impossible to the compromise is to push back and be ready to let these memes and memories go

They come and go like the wind anyways so letting it go should come easy

Thank god i didn't support this game, this should have been taken care of before release

I mean...

Cmon man... these clowns live to be subversive about this shit

This is honestly the best case scenario for any company that employs a bunch of people. Im not trying to be all defense force here but I have a hard time finding poor intent on Bungie's end

This was a rogue individual and it remains to be seen what the person responsible will say in his defense

Keinning

Holding Bungie responsible for this is baffling. Most people didn`t even noticed before they did and took it away.

Let`s boycott the company actually doing something to stop hate speech from spreading. That will send a good message all around

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Holding Bungie responsible for this is baffling. Most people didn`t even noticed before they did and took it away.

Let`s boycott the company actually doing something to stop hate speech from spreading. That will send a good message all around

People are entitled to their opinions. Bungie should have known about this ahead of time and not let this through QA

bosh

Is the armor normally that color or did someone change it to that color with a shader?

Anyways good on them for not only removing it but announcing the change instead of trying to silently do it.

vkrili

Wait is this Kek thing actually white supremacist? I can't keep up with all this meme nonsense. My friend was posting stuff a while back about Kekistan and I didn't really get it - seemed like weird 4chan memelord stuff. Has it become full on alt right? Was it always? Is my friend a white supremacist?
You might wanna bring it up subtly in a conversation. "Yo dude, I remembered that green flag thing you posted and I've seen it on the internet a couple of times, what's it about?" If he denounces it, then he's probably cool, if not, well, he might just be doing it because it's "fun to troll the leftists".

People are entitled to their opinions. Bungie should have known about this ahead of time and not let this through QA

I empathize with this even though I think it's harsh

Hopefully they learn from this and have managers that can check on shit like this and maybe even have a better idea what their employees are up to on company time

Top Bottom