• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"'Destiny 2' Included a Legendary Gauntlet With a White Supremacist Logo"

Holding Bungie responsible for this is baffling. Most people didn`t even noticed before they did and took it away.

Let`s boycott the company actually doing something to stop hate speech from spreading. That will send a good message all around

Bungie is responsible. It's their product at the end of the day. That's the reason they are even addressing it isn't it?

Does that mean we should like condemn the entire company and their work? Nope. Context is important. Their response has been appropriate. No need for us to freak out.

forrest

formerly nacire
Lots of game artists pull reference material from google image searches and photo libraries without knowing the meaning or context of every given piece. This is the first time I've ever heard of or seen the image of this particular flag or been educated on it's association with hate groups.

I personally wouldn't be so quick to witch hunt the individual artist, but if this does turn out to be some sort of intentional act to smuggle a racial hate message, then by all means I hope the responsible party is dealt with accordingly.

People are entitled to their opinions. Bungie should have known about this ahead of time and not let this through QA

Pretty sure the vast majority of people had no idea this was a white supremacist symbol. I spend all day on the internet and this is the first I've heard of it. It's not exactly as identifiable as a nazi logo. They acknowledged it, they made a statement and they are removing it.

HMD

I had no idea kek was a white supremacist thing, I used to actually use it ironically a lot. I always thought it was an LOL misspelling.

1505236438863-Screen-Shot-2017-09-12-at-114336-AM.png

ARWeXnn.png

To be fair, It's not really identical. It could just be close enough looking but not intentional. Bungie has said they'd remove this and that's commendable

Keinning

People are entitled to their opinions. Bungie should have known about this ahead of time and not let this through QA

Yeah, Bungie should have staff browsing every corner of the internet 24h to know what new meme is being used by bigots and go back in time and remove it before it gets added (because removing it as soon as they found out isnt fast enough apparently). Or just read the future entirely. Cant buy games from anyone so short sighted that they cant be psychics i guess.

This is absurd. You know who gets the last laugh? The ones who did this and now are seeing bungie lose sales because they removed it. But keep fighting the good fight against bungie, i guess. As you said, people are entitled to their own opinions.

Cranster

Banned
Holding Bungie responsible for this is baffling. Most people didn`t even noticed before they did and took it away.

Let`s boycott the company actually doing something to stop hate speech from spreading. That will send a good message all around
This opinion is baffling. Last I checked it is Bungie who made the game therefore it is their responsibility to make sure this crap doesn't make it into the game in the first place!

Dalek

Imagine getting a big shot with a job at one of the largest game developers in the world and you torpedo your career by doing this. This reminds me of that X-Men artist who got his big shot to draw X-Men Gold #1 and he had to throw in anti-semitic messages and symbols in the background.

eliochip

Pretty sure the vast majority of people had no idea this was a white supremacist symbol. I spend all day on the internet and this is the first I've heard of it. It's not exactly as identifiable as a nazi logo. They acknowledged it, they made a statement and they are removing it.

Good on Bungie heads for removing it but the idea that someone who works at Bungie (and still does) made this is disturbing to me.

Tovarisc

I had no idea kek was a white supremacist thing, I used to actually use it ironically a lot. I always thought it was an LOL misspelling.
I thought kek was just another way of saying "lol."

It's lol in Orcish in WoW. Far RIght bullshit ruining yet another thing.
Kek literally translates to lol on World of Warcraft. When someone from the Horde side types lol in /say, members of the alliance side see kek instead. Not specific to Orcs.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kek

void666

Banned
So what's the meaning of that logo on the armor? Is it related to one of the forges? Could be a coincidence.

Anyway it's better to get rid of it.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Why? Do you have to google image search every little logo? Because I never seen that until now.

Same. Plenty of white supremecist stuff can fly under the radar easily. I wasn't aware of the flag design, or the adoption of "kek" as something specifically white supremecist. I thought they used kek so much because of so many of them also being internet message board nerds.

Whompa02

Marvel let their artist go for anti-semetic easter eggs in their comic book.

I would hope Bungie would do the same.

Good on Bungie heads for removing it but the idea that someone who works at Bungie (and still does) made this is disturbing to me.

As was said before could have been a short term contract kinda thing. Seems like a stupid move for a longtime employee to pull and I'm sure they are investigating it.

wandering

Banned

I mean, while I agree that this seems like a blatant underhanded reference, I don't think one can entirely condemn Bungie for missing it. It's great that they've responded swiftly and appropriately, and hopefully they'll be more cognizant of such designs in the future. Maybe someone in QA caught the reference and let it pass, but it's just as likely that most people who saw the design had no idea what it was. You can't expect everyone at Bungie to be hyperaware of obscure racist imagery like that. They're already taking responsibility for the mistake and owning up to it.

SeanTSC

Bungie is in Bellvue, WA. Unfortunately, despite how liberal the PNW is and how much we greatly outnumber the shitty people, there's still a ton of White Supremacists in this area. Don't be surprised if more than a few of them have made it into gaming and tech companies up here.

Hopefully the artist who snuck it in gets fired.

NastyBook

Why is everything turned into a white supremacist thing? Wasn't kek translated lol in WoW when you were the other faction? How do we go from that to white supremacy? And who decides who owns something? Who makes the most memes?
Every question asked except for "Where can I go to shout down a racist?" or "What other symbols/gestures that White Supremacists use that I should be aware of?

smh
I guess HAKKE manufactures are in trouble
Are you fucking serious, right now? That's blue and neon green. Those are the colors the Seattle Seahawks wear on their jerseys. Bungie studios is located in Washington, literally an interstate away from Seattle.

This is either a bad joke post, or deflection.
And suddenly everything was a white supremacy symbol
LMFAO @ people who get flustered by racist symbols that probably never suffered from racism a day in their life.

*DolanEverythingWasWhiteSupremacist.jpg*?
Another one.
Nice. Kekistan Army in Space.
Another one.

943p9qd.png

Inb4 Atlus removes this
Another one.

EDIT: Not doing this point these posts out to mods, just highlighting them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The logo itself is just different enough (and generic enough) that I think it could be a coincidence, but combined with the similar color schemes it does raise an eyebrow about its intention.

I don't think it goes much beyond that, though. I don't buy that the flavor text on the item is supposed to reference white power or anything, and I would actually be very surprised to find out that the person who designed the pattern on the item was also responsible for that text.

Imagine getting a big shot with a job at one of the largest game developers in the world and you torpedo your career by doing this. This reminds me of that X-Men artist who got his big shot to draw X-Men Gold #1 and he had to throw in anti-semitic messages and symbols in the background.
Thank you. I was trying to remember what this reminded me of. Both are cases where you can't fault the publisher for that stuff slipping through, but you have every right to expect them to react accordingly.

Yeah, Bungie should have staff browsing every corner of the internet 24h to know what new meme is being used by bigots and go back in time and remove it before it gets added (because removing it as soon as they found out isnt fast enough apparently). Or just read the future entirely. Cant buy games from anyone so short sighted that they cant be psychics i guess.

This is absurd. You know who gets the last laugh? The ones who did this and now are seeing bungie lose sales because they removed it. But keep fighting the good fight against bungie, i guess. As you said, people are entitled to their own opinions.

Managers should indeed be aware of what their employees do with company resources yes

And if you manage properly you have the right ratio of management to employees to catch warning signs

But this is assuming the artist in question did this with poor intent

It's hard to assume otherwise

wandering

Banned
Bungie is in Bellvue, WA. Unfortunately, despite how liberal the PNW is and how much we greatly outnumber the shitty people, there's still a ton of White Supremacists in this area. Don't be surprised if more than a few of them have made it into gaming and tech companies up here.

Hopefully the artist who snuck it in gets fired.

Not to mention the the Puget Sound area is already in many ways a mirror of Silicon Valley, and we all know how wonderful the culture is there.

Wonder if the person was an actual Bungie employee. I'm sure they farmed out tons of asset creation to make Activision's release deadline. Hard to imagine how it wasn't caught before release though.

Tovarisc

Wonder if the person was an actual Bungie employee. I'm sure they farmed out tons of asset creation to make Activision's release deadline. Hard to imagine how it wasn't caught before release though.

By not landing in front of that one employee who knows all the latest Far Right and 4chan bullshit?

Hope Bungie finds the artist who did this and fires him/her pronto. Don't need gamergate, alt-right, or nazis in developer teams any more than there are already (Kingdom Come Deliverance).

Keinning

Managers should indeed be aware of what their employees do with company resources yes

And if you manage properly you have the right ratio of management to employees to catch warning signs

But this is assuming the artist in question did this with poor intent

It's hard to assume otherwise

You're talking about an obscure internet meme that most people here didn't knew what it meant. And i believe most people in gaf are more internet-savvy than your average destiny player. This isn't bungie missing a swatiska or a or a slur in their writing. Is it still their responsability to fix it? Of course, and they did just that. But of course if you think they had bad intentions all along and want to boycott all their products from now on, that's on you.

Noticed this yesterday and sent the info to people in higher positions. Was hoping that it wouldn't draw media attention because now the game's probably going to get DDoS'd "until they bring back the kek gloves" or some shit. Oh well.

I will say that there was definitely a willingness to change it before the spotlight, if that helps.

gai_shain

Who is suggesting that?

By not landing in front of that one employee who knows all the latest Far Right and 4chan bullshit?

Lol it is not solely up to Bungie to police what makes it into their shipping game. If not internally, they have teams dedicated to combing through the game looking for copyrighted or otherwise problematic material to show to lawyers or other experts such as ones specializing in hate groups.

Noticed this yesterday and sent the info to people in higher positions. Was hoping that it wouldn't draw media attention because now the game's probably going to get DDoS'd "until they bring back the kek gloves" or some shit. Oh well.

I will say that there was definitely a willingness to change it before the spotlight, if that helps.

Ugh I didn't consider this

Alt right army about to crash our weekend..

Crosseyes

Banned
Man I've never seen that flag before but the resemblance and colors is disturbing.

I could see that getting past QA if it went by someone who had no idea about the flag so glad they responded quickly soon as it was found out.

If there is an artist or group of artists responsible for conciously doing that then hopefully they get doxed and purged out of the industry entirely. Too much white supremecy infesting gaming lately.

To be clear, the iconography on the Road Complex AA1 gauntlets is not identical, but its green coloration, and the shape of the KEK lettering are obvious signals.
I'm pretty sure that legendary clothing sometimes come with a random shader applied, because my gauntlets weren't green so...

Maybe we should stop allowing them to steal logos/symbols/phrases, and fight them instead of running the other way every time and letting them steal them.

I'm not really sure how you would fight something like this. Like, the moment kekistan flag stuff started popping up, we all go to rallies waving the same flag, claiming it's ours? Or draw lots of pictures of Pepe embracing the LGBT community and post them constantly?

Wouldn't you have to go to their haunts constantly to see the plans coalescing so you can counter them? "Ok some guy there is making 100 kekistan flags to hand out, I'm making 100 of my own to hand out for the good guys." I mean they'd probably just look at that as a victory, that they fooled their enemies into waving their flag.

If you want to look at it as a war of symbols and memes, what could you possibly even take from the supremacists that they consider theirs? What could you ruin for them that would make them angry or distressed in the same way that you would care about specific logos/symbols/phrases being co-opted?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Wait, since when is "Kek" white supremacist? I thought it was a chuckle onomatopoeia that was used to signify understanding of the punchline of a troll post. That flag in itself looks like a troll post. It's just a Nazi flag with everything replaced with 4Chan references. Is this for real being used as an actual supremacist symbol now?

Edit: So it's literally just lol in orcish. So yeah. A troll laugh.

Cynar

It used to be lol in orcish in world of Warcraft but it seems to have gone beyond that. I didn't even know until this thread. The similarity is intentional it looks like and someone should be responsible for this.

Top Bottom