• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"'Destiny 2' Included a Legendary Gauntlet With a White Supremacist Logo"

wandering

Banned
This shit is not in dispute

PzmFrvx.png

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Never even knew that was a thing. Will all of our Internet acronyms become alt-right symbols at some point?

Never even knew that was a thing. Will all of our Internet acronyms become alt-right symbols at some point?

This is ultimately the game that 4chan loves to play. Take something innocuous and corrupt its meaning to the most vile perversion you can imagine. Cartoon frog? White supremacist mascot. Japanese bear emoji? Pedophilia mascot. Random photo of actual people? Time for some racist captions! It's all just innocent fun for the lulz to those psychopaths.

In my youth, I wrongly disparaged canadian bacon. I need those around me to know the depth of my regret. I understand now, better than I could have imagined in my earlier years, how my words might have affected those around me.

Canadian bacon, especially married with the sweet, complex flavor of pinapple, is a blessing in this world.

YES!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The coincidence is that white supremecists/nationalists are stealing symbols that are not inherently hateful to use in their hate speech. The removed art was over 2 years old, well before it trended as a hate symbol. If you found out there was a Pepe reference in CoD: World at War, would you accuse Treyarch of harboring white supremecists?

As far as I can tell, the flag didn't exist until after 1/30/2017, so actually the person might be in the clear as a coincidence if it was really done that long ago.

But we don't really know when the armor was made.

Dude, you really think the rise of another nazi empire will depend on whether people stop using the ok handsign? You tell people to take a step back, but maybe you should do so yourself.

This is about not giving the Nazis the power to co-opt any shit they want. They ok handsign is ingrained into culture.

Nice try at the strawman argument.

But history really is repeating itself. Look into how Hitler rose to power.

whipihguh

Banned
Also the kek cross comes from another awful source

vwVpITI.jpg

Oh, so it gets worse. Cool.

I mean, if people want to argue that the design is a coincidence, fine. I highly doubt it, but okay. But to act like this is a crusade against 'kek' or that the Kekistant flag wasn't desgined in mind is absurd. The basic design adopts white supremacist motifs and the earliest mentions of the concept and prototypes of the flag, as far as I can see, came from places like /int/ and /pol/, precisely as symbols of the alt-right, whose core ideology isn't in debate anymore.

Those treating it as an innocent coincidence are ignorant of the history of the flag, and are conflating criticism of the flag with the criticism of the term 'kek'. Then again, with some people that ignorance is intentional.

Perhaps in the case of Pepe (not at this point, though, maybe a year or so ago), but the Kekistan flag is a blatant recreation of the Nazi war flag. There's no "coincidence" here, it's hateful intentions were clear from the jump.
The point was that the Kek flag specifically could not have been an inspiration for the design of the iconography in Destiny 2 if the design in Destiny 2 came first.

Additionally, publishers and game developers like Bungie have staff to scour games for content which is offensive in a variety of different languages and cultures. Prior to release, the people responsible for weeding out possibly offensive content either missed this or thought it was different enough (2 Ks vs. 4 Ks, four bars vs. three bars, and the Destiny design has bordering pipe symbols) to not remove it. I don't know which it was.

As to whether the original Nazi iconography with the yin-yang was an inspiration for the design is another matter altogether, but it's worth noting it does have less similarity with this icon. I don't know for certain whether or not it was, but I do know the people at Bungie overwhelmingly condemn white supremecists and will not tolerate their influence on things they make in the least, nor any association whatsoever. Even if this was completely coincidental, it was squashed very quickly to avoid any possible doubt on that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Publishers and game developers like Bungie have staff to scour games for content which is offensive in a variety of different languages and cultures. Prior to release, the people responsible for weeding out possibly offensive content either missed it or thought it was different enough (2 Ks vs. 4 Ks, four bars vs. three bars, and the Destiny design has bordering pipe symbols) to not remove it. I don't know which it was.

I'm pretty sure they don't have anything like that. What would that be listed as under the credits? QA?

I'm sure the hierarchy of leads and directors overseeing the texture artist signed off on it, and testers and QA saw it, and possibly whoever worked on the game design and writing elements of it. The sheer number of people working on it usually are enough to catch something like that but I could see how they never knew about it. It wasn't a thing any non-alt right people would know unless about until like 2 months ago unless they have a vocal alt right friend on facebook, and most don't even know about it now. But it was something all the alt right 4chan posters knew about from about february. I don't know how late texture work would be done for something like this.

Delay the game a few months so a lot of the process happens after charlottesville, and it probably would have been noticed by someone.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm pretty sure they don't have anything like that. What would that be listed as under the credits? QA?

I'm sure the hierarchy of leads and directors overseeing the texture artist signed off on it, and testers and QA saw it, and possibly whoever worked on the game design and writing elements of it. The sheer number of people working on it usually are enough to catch something like that but I could see how they never knew about it. It wasn't a thing any non-alt right people would know unless about until like 2 months ago unless they have a vocal alt right friend on facebook, and most don't even know about it now. But it was something all the alt right 4chan posters knew about from about february. I don't know how late texture work would be done for something like this.

Delay the game a few months so a lot of the process happens after charlottesville, and it probably would have been noticed by someone.
Usually QA based on my experience
Qa are also required to check any content deemed offensive. It's a critical miss, but we don't know if qa found it or not.

and nobody took it seriously until it was too late.

Indeed, and it's not exactly the most recent example of that very thing happening.

Bonus: Michael Moore was one of the few that knew he would win.

That said...

Nice try at the strawman argument.

But history really is repeating itself. Look into how Hitler rose to power.

Allow me to join those saying that if you let white supremacists co-opt the OK hand sign, you're giving them infinitely more power than if you don't. For one, every time that the rest of the world does it (and you have to be very far up your ass to believe the rest of the world will stop using it), you're saying "they are doing a fascist sign", which is instantly a win for them.

Don't let them manipulate your own disgust against you like this.

Nairume

Banned
Can you source this? I checked the ADL's KKK symbols and failed at googling this.
The actual ADL thing they are sourcing from is here

I did a brief search and didn't find any older pictures of the original symbol, so it could be that the Nib is just reconstructing it based on what the ADL described due to pictures of the original symbol being harder to come by. Reading the full ADL description makes it sound like it was a short lived symbol and there aren't much records of it because most Klansmen never realized the difference as time went on.

That said, it's not a complicated symbol going by that description, so I doubt the Nib just made it up whole cloth to look like the Kekistan logo.

The actual ADL thing they are sourcing from is here

I did a brief search and didn't find any older pictures of the original symbol, so it could be that the Nib is just reconstructing it based on what the ADL described due to pictures of the original symbol being harder to come by. Reading the full ADL description makes it sound like it was a short lived symbol and there aren't much records of it because most Klansmen never realized the difference as time went on.

That said, it's not a complicated symbol going by that description, so I doubt the Nib just made it up whole cloth to look like the Kekistan logo.

Oh yea, they do describe it on the ADL site. Thanks pal

ShdwDrake

Banned
People is this thread is why people go "fuck white people" it's not about the word it's the symbol. White people always find ways to continue to be shitty. /s

So uh...they didn't actually fix the gauntlet? It doesn't display on my character when walking around the tower, but the design is the same when looking at your character in the inventory screen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So uh...they didn't actually fix the gauntlet? It doesn't display on my character when walking around the tower, but the design is the same when looking at your character in the inventory screen.

Probably because it requires a client side patch and a patch takes weeks to pass through certification. Maybe the change they did make was all they could do server side.

It'll be fixed with time.

Honestly, I have no clue anymore. For all I know, Citronella tiki torches are a symbol of white power now.

The people who make the tiki torches denounced the Nazis faster than the President of the United States did, and did so without saying there was "good people on both sides" or walking it back a day later.

Armaros

It's amazing how these threads bring out the 'didn't read but will driveby' and all the alts and hidden racists.

Without fail, even after many ban waves from older similar threads.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The ๖ۜBronx;248966808 said:
Where did you find this image?

I can't find it anywhere else on the internet – Tineye. Google Images. I saw the link above where it describes it but can't see a single page displaying that example of it?

It seems to be "fanart" made up by the description or something to better fit the Kekistan symbol, the actual thing looks like this
us%7Dkkk3.gif

The black lines are the "K"s. There's other variants with different "fonts", but this is how it looks.

edit: I don't have any doubt the original four K orientation is a main influence for the flag too, though.

tr4nce 26

Banned
I had no idea that the okay hand sign was considered racist. I use it all the time and will not stop using it. I'm sick and tired of every little thing being taken away from people just because someone used it the wrong way.

Head.spawn

I tracked down where some of the flag design evolved from, in december 2016. Unsurprisingly it was posters slowly modifying the nazi flag.

http://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/102858446/#q102869459

The kek logo came from this, starting with horizontal lines, but I don't know when it was added to the flag.

http://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/62634792/#62634792

vwVpITI.jpg

This is all *shocking* and surprising.

so when you examine the armor it still shows the old model. But on the actual character in game its gone; on ps4 at least because im looking at it right now.

Edit. i see they are removing it from inspections next week.

Fucking feels good to be so right. Everyone who called this a reference to the stupid kekistan flag, who called the artist a "white nationalist", who demanded for the artist to be publically shamed- eat fucking crow and bite me. Y'all shitty people, and I hope y'all feel righteous in your fight against coincidence .

I was right as per Bungie themselves. Fuck outta here.

Ooh fucking look, they even reference the chevron iconography that I fuckig brought up in emblems and class designs- and y'all argued me on that too. Fuck y'all.

Trike

vwVpITI.jpg

What is the source of the image? I found the ADL page but it did not feature that image. The excerpt is from an article in reference to the "Blood Drop Cross" stating that the description in the picture was the initial version that evolved over time. But I am not able to find any visuals for this other than the picture you posted.

I don't think there is another image, though if I'm wrong I am legitimately interested to see where the image came from. I feel like if there was a much more clear cut KKK connection this armor wouldn't have gotten close to passing Bungie's standards and wouldn't have been included in the game.

Fucking feels good to be so right. Everyone who called this a reference to the stupid kekistan flag, who called the artist a "white nationalist", who demanded for the artist to be publically shamed- eat fucking crow and bite me. Y'all shitty people, and I hope y'all feel righteous in your fight against coincidence .

Ooh fucking look, they even reference the chevron iconography that I fuckig brought up in emblems and class designs- and y'all argued me on that too. Fuck y'all.

Do you feel righteous in your fight against righteous coincidence?

Luckily it's just a coincidence this time.

The problem with this shit is that's the point. It's a dogwhistle. It's bait. It's stuff like the kekistan flag that lets people be pieces of shit and claim ignorance and coincidence when called out.

So forgive us if we get it wrong sometimes. Vigilance is required when people on the internet are increasingly attempting to push the envelope.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Your post is so incredibly embarrassing. Congrats on believing a statement from a corporation attempting to save face. Some of us adults aren't naive enough to dismiss criticism thanks to some PR speak and do believe it at the very least COULD be more than a simple coincidence. I dig Bungie as a whole and am having a good time with D2, but I can still think level-headed at the same time.

Your post is so incredibly embarrassing. Congrats on believing a statement from a corporation attempting to save face. Some of us adults aren't naive enough to dismiss criticism thanks to some PR speak and do believe it at the very least COULD be more than a simple coincidence. I dig Bungie as a whole and am having a good time with D2, but I can still think level-headed at the same time.

The post is written badly but the original poster has a point. There were a lot of people posting one liners that it couldn't be a coincidence, absolutely HAD to be done on purpose and the one rogue artist should be fired immediately.

I'm glad lots of people are against alt-right movements but over-reacting to stuff isn't going to help in the long term....its just crying wolf.

M0Eeg9E_d.jpg

Your post is as embarrassing and condescending as the reactions you hated in this thread. Do you want a pat on the back, too?

I'm glad their geopolitical consultant spotted it and flagged it, so they could act swiftly in removing it.
I'm glad lots of people are against alt-right movements but over-reacting to stuff isn't going to help in the long term....its just crying wolf.
Their own team spotted the connection to kek, so some of them were reacting the same but whether or not you're comfortable with that connection being shipped.

While I find their explanation totally believable... what the actual fuck, dude? Calm down. You're making yourself look like a complete ass and, as you're sure to notice very soon here, that statement's not actually going to change anyone's minds on the matter. People who don't think its a coincidence aren't suddenly going to believe it just because someone from Bungie tells them.

While I find their explanation totally believable... what the actual fuck, dude? Calm down. You're making yourself look like a complete ass and, as you're sure to notice very soon here, that statement's not actually going to change anyone's minds on the matter. People who don't think its a coincidence aren't suddenly going to believe it just because someone from Bungie tells them.
That's true. The rise of white supremecists is horrifying, but our community responding with witch hunts against each other is poisonous. The design could have an entirely innocent genesis which ended up an awful coincidence and people here still want to ruin the artist's career for it. We can't keep substituting feelings for facts and stay an honest community.

Audioboxer

Dylan, jeeez, take it easy man lol. I thought there was a chance it was a coincidence from the start but it's not a competition.

I'm glad they further expanded because this is quite a large topic calling for someone to be fired and inferring Bungie have hired white nationalists. I'm sure Bungie noticed it, or had it reported to them.

The kek flag was invented in 2017, or at least according to a poster in this topic that is the case. It was speculated pages ago that if the design was made pre-2017 it pre-dated the flag. That poster was asked how they would know the date of the graphics, well, Bungie are inferring as early as 2015.

Would you also say "It's just locker room talk" is an acceptable excuse for the Donald Trump shit from last year? Did you take that at face value too?

Are saying that Bungie is lying? If so than say it clearly, don't be wish washy about it.
Pretty sure they're making the best out of a bad situation here. It was flagged (and by their own admission rightly so) yet still made its way in knowing that this was a likely outcome.

Top Bottom