• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

Many of the areas of Warframe rival the size of Destiny. "Open world" isn't some parameter you put on a game that suddenly impacts the performance. What matters is the scope of the game that is being rendered at any given time. And with that in mind, Warframe has huge environments.

This is especially true since Destiny is not running a lot of simulated systems locally that are taxing. Everything is running server-side. The local cllient is simply rendering the game, with minimal game logic taking place at the client-level.

Lasty95

Or I disagree with their premise entirely because it's little more than but "things are different!" Every game is different. It all depends on the priorities Bungie has. I'm just saying 60fps should be one of those like it is for every other dev making a 1st person shooter these days.

No dude.

The kind of game Destiny is simply isn't compatible with 60fps.

Edit: I also highly doubt dedicated servers.

I really wish something other than a logo and a preorder bonus was shown. It makes me wonder if this is a hastily put together response to the leaks. Its not doing the game any favors by being announced like this. I want to be excited for this game, and I want to be a part of the destiny community. However, a lack of new info makes me think thats its going to just be more of the same. Thats really disappointing to me. Hopefully Im wrong though

Trace

Banned
I really wish something other than a logo and a preorder bonus was shown. It makes me wonder if this is a hastily put together response to the leaks. Its not doing the game any favors by being announced like this. I want to be excited for this game, and I want to be a part of the destiny community. However, a lack of new info makes me think thats its going to just be more of the same. Thats really disappointing to me. Hopefully Im wrong though

Give them more than a few hours. I'd be surprised if we didn't see anything tomorrow honestly.

I think a lot of that hate comes from the fact that they're simply the most difficult race to fight.

The three other races are more straight forward. Shoot for the head, they die. And to be fair, that's still the case for non-shield Cabal.

Cabal aren't even hard though. Everything about them is boring.

Vex are cool looking space robot time lords. Fallen are multi limbed weird vocal patterns with an interesting society. Hive are freakie looking space insect death worshiping zombie things. And the the Cabal are...uh big dudes with armor and tanks?

They are just reaaaaally boring

Kyoufu

Cabal aren't even hard though. Everything about them is boring.

Vex are cool looking space robot time lords. Fallen are multi limbed weird vocal patterns with an interesting society. Hive are freakie looking space insect death worshiping zombie things. And the the Cabal are...uh big dudes with armor and tanks?

They are just reaaaaally boring

Cabal have great music though so they can't be boring.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Or I disagree with their premise entirely because it's little more than but "things are different!" Every game is different. It all depends on the priorities Bungie has. I'm just saying 60fps should be one of those like it is for every other dev making a 1st person shooter these days.

I specifically mentioned more than that. The fact that Destiny was not built around PS4/XB1.

Destiny 2 will be. And it will likely look far better than Destiny 1. If D2 has little to no graphical boost, then you're right, it needs to be 60fps.

It's doubtful that they will be doing that and the games you mentioned in absolutely no way are a counterpoint to that. D2 will have an even larger open world, with much better graphics. Thinking 60fps is absolutely doable in that case just because Titanfall 2's campaign is 60fps is silly.

Many of the areas of Warframe rival the size of Destiny. "Open world" isn't some parameter you put on a game that suddenly impacts the performance. What matters is the scope of the game that is being rendered at any given time. And with that in mind, Warframe has huge environments.

This is especially true since Destiny is not running a lot of simulated systems locally that are taxing. Everything is running server-side. The local cllient is simply rendering the game, with minimal game logic taking place at the client-level.

I haven't played Warframe in a fierce while, but I don't remember it's environments being near the size of Destiny's. I could be completely wrong though.

I am really looking forward to a fresh start, I loved aspects of Destiny and tried a couple times to get back into it buy purchasing additional content but it never really recaptured me or even captured me to begin with. Hopefully D2 helps and is able to.

Two Words

I thought Warframe was largely level-based bite-sized missions, without any kind of giant hub. But then I've never played it.

MGSV is the only game approaching an open-world style that I can think runs at 60FPS on current consoles.

It is level-based. But that doesn't really matter with Destiny. Destiny is not an open-world game that is maintaining complex simulations. Everything like that is server-side. Your client isn't controlling the AI of the enemies. It's not controlling the spawning of enemies or scripting. It isn't controlling the networking of players. It isn't really doing any of that. All of that is managed by the server. The client is mainly rendering the game and handling player input.

I haven't played Warframe in a fierce while, but I don't remember it's environments being near the size of Destiny's. I could be completely wrong though.

There are many outdoor areas that are very large.

Also, Warframe has far, FAR, more enemies on screen at a given time. It is a much more densely populated game.

Holiday

Banned
I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a significant amount of posts in Destiny OTs were LFG. That doesn't take anything away from what in my (limited) experience has been a great, friendly community.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a significant amount of posts in Destiny OTs were LFG. That doesn't take anything away from what in my (limited) experience has been a great, friendly community.

Definitely not. It would still be one of the (if not the) biggest game community thread on GAF. But LFG was a big part of it as well.

a harpy

Yeah, I think WoW has proven that an in-game, manual LFG tool is a great asset, even if it's used to just fill out a party of friends with the extra pub or so.

Akhe

oZGdR.gif

I don't know what to feel...

border

It is level-based. But that doesn't really matter with Destiny. Destiny is not an open-world game that is maintaining complex simulations. Everything like that is server-side. Your client isn't controlling the AI of the enemies. It's not controlling the spawning of enemies or scripting. It isn't controlling the networking of players. It isn't really doing any of that. All of that is managed by the server. The client is mainly rendering the game and handling player input.

By that rationale though, why isn't every MMO or online co-op game on running at 60fps on PS4? Clearly at some point the rendering overhead becomes too much to maintain that level of performance even without AI/scripting/physics calculations.

Two Words

By that rationale though, why isn't every MMO or online co-op game on running at 60fps on PS4? Clearly at some point the rendering overhead becomes too much to maintain that level of performance even without AI/scripting/physics calculations.

More game should be 60 FPS. Many games aren't, even as single player games. Why rationalize excuses? Why make it so that Destiny 2 can only be judged for not being 60 FPS if all other games are 60 FPS?

DocSeuss

Warframe's spaces are considerably less detailed, significantly smaller, and built so that players can just bullet jump through them and ignore them completely.

Its enemies are a lot less detailed/complext/taxing as well.

Zocano

Also, Warframe has far, FAR, more enemies on screen at a given time. It is a much more densely populated game.

And not one is as well animated or impresses upon a better feel to fight than even the basic dregs from Destiny.

I've forgotten their names at this point but thr basic enemies you fight of each faction basically feel the exact same and are all just kinda generic dudes that have as much personality as the grubs from gears of war. Warframe feels flacid to play despite its movement capabilities. Sword attacks feel like nothing, enemy hit feedback is flat, and enemies don't really have an identity between the factions.

I say this with like 100 ish hours of time into warframe a couple years back.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
1380 hours for me.
400 Titan Exo Male 1107h
400 Warlock Exo Male 143h
400 Hunter Exo Male 128h

Best bang for your buck videogame since SOCOM II.
1542hrs-38hrs
Characters
400 Titan Exo Male 929h
400 Hunter Exo Male 574h

This isn't including my sub account lol

Also tried to do Warlok 5 times but hated its jump lol

Two Words

Warframe's spaces are considerably less detailed, significantly smaller, and built so that players can just bullet jump through them and ignore them completely.

Warframe has some very large areas. It isn't just a game where you run through corridor after corridor. I disagree on it being less detailed if you mean in fidelity. The assets are more generic since it is randomly generated. Having faster movement just means that the game has more to render the same amount of time, making maintaining 60 fps even harder.

And not one is as well animated or impresses upon a better feel to fight than even the basic dregs from Destiny.

I've forgotten their names at this point but thr basic enemies you fight of each faction basically feel the exact same and are all just kinda generic dudes that have as much personality as the grubs from gears of war. Warframe feels flacid to play despite its movement capabilities. Sword attacks feel like nothing, enemy hit feedback is flat, and enemies don't really have an identity between the factions.

I say this with like 100 ish hours of time into warframe a couple years back.
I would agree with you that Warframe's enemies are pretty trash in their design. It is a big weakness of the game. The enemies are designed to be fodder. But that doesn't change the fact that it has to render much more than Destiny does.

ZERO fucks given at this time.

Why? Because I was a day one supporter of the original Destiny and all it did was get more irritating with each "update". The DLC plans were bad. The content in most of them were bad. No more asset flips to "create content" which was kind of/sort of already on the disc. No more dumb ass pricing plans for long term users and new content (like when TTK first showed up). No more "cosmetic" horseshit while the actual game content suffers.

And if you complained, you were told to suck it up and throw money at the screen.

Seriously, just no more.

Luke Smith still being at the helm of this dumpster fire of a game is a kiss of death for me. I learned from his "decisions" about the original, and because of that I will wait for a demo or "free trial" before "throwing my money around" this time. Bungie as it is now gets a vote of NO CONFIDENCE from me because of all that.

Zocano

I would agree with you that Warframe's enemies are pretty trash in their design. It is a big weakness of the game. The enemies are designed to be fodder. But that doesn't change the fact that it has to render much more than Destiny does.
To be fair, I was just criticizing the main part that i hated about warframe. But it being 60 fps is cool and I wish Destiny would bother with it but AAA games these days kinda just don't, which is a real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom