• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

nOoblet16

We want less DPS checks/bullet sponges and more interesting mechanics that require teamwork!

Bungie: Okay! Say no more!

What the flying fuck, Bungie! Only one boss?! You fucking half ass everything!

Bungie just can't win.
No not really. WoTM exists and it proves that there is a middle ground to be found in terms of mechanics, teamwork, player flexibility and bosses. I mean Aksis fight is the most technically fight out of any raid boss in D1, yet it allows for player flexibility within that ore defined mechanics. Unlike King's Fall where you have no flexibility, you can't dictate the pace and you simply have to wait for the game to catch up to you. The argument you are making now is exactly what people said when King's Fall came out, in response to everyone saying that it's too strict and that there's no way to reach a middle ground. Then WoTM came out.

As I've said multiple times before the counter to "we want less DPS" is not "Have a raid full of strict mechanics".

I'm too sexy for my Alpha Lupi, too sexy for my Alpha Lupi. So sexy.

oJRDcBa.jpg

EuxjtOe.jpg

CFppWya.jpg

Chasing a new armour loadout (the feathered Crucible chest) but conflicted as I love this one.

I 100% agree.

I'm one of those who values what my Guardian looks like.
But the argument is silly in destiny 2 considering you can upgrade your equipment so you keep the armor you want.

I have been upgrading my current armor because nothing short of the bright engram unique legendary armor or possibly Raid gear looks better than the legendary/exotic chest that I have.

Any spoiler free raid impressions? Where does it rank? I assume it's the same kind of thing as before, nothing really groundbreaking that feels like a true sequel.

The ๖ۜBronx;248948178 said:

Chasing a new armour loadout (the feathered Crucible chest) but conflicted as I love this one.

Nice! What shoulders are those?! I'm using the Devestation Complex shoulders for the knight effect but those look way better.

The ๖ۜBronx;248948178 said:

Jesus, that's a good looking Titan. What shader is that?

Any spoiler free raid impressions? Where does it rank? I assume it's the same kind of thing as before, nothing really groundbreaking that feels like a true sequel.
I feel like whatever anyone says won't change that if you felt the need to state it before finding the answer. It's probably the most difficult one yet, far more mechanical than prior ones and more reliant on teamwork. Setting is great. Lack of
boss fights
is disappointing for me personally, would have preferred
the mechanics and the bosses over swapping one for them other

nOoblet16

If anything it's too different from what we had before and strays too far in the wrong direction. It doesn't uses its premise to its benefits. I'll rank it lower than even King's Fall because King's Fall atleast had a nice atmosphere.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Raid has a few frustrating things about it that make me question whether Bungie has learned anything in the last 3 years. Feels like a giant step backward. The only good thing about it is that I had fun with my raid peoples. I used to always run the raid three times each week. That will not be happening with this one.

ocean

Banned
Wait a week or two until there’s optimized strats and people aren’t burning out running it. Impressions change fairly significantly over time.

WotM was a sleeper hit, being seen as “ok” at first but later recognized as a damn solid top tier raid. While KF initially was praised a ton as a team-mechanic driven encounter until later people just said eh this isn’t fun to repeat.

nOoblet16

The ๖ۜBronx;248948430 said:
I feel like whatever anyone says won't change that if you felt the need to state it before finding the answer. It's probably the most difficult one yet, far more mechanical than prior ones and more reliant on teamwork. Setting is great.
I'll add that it's not really necessary for a raid to be too reliant on strict mechanics in order to force an incredible amount of teamwork and communication. WoTM proves this.

There's two kinds of ways teamwork is forced the good kind like WoTM and the bad kind like King's Fall and this.

The ๖ۜBronx;248948538 said:
Unfortunately the ones from Tess. Got them from a level up engram.

Ah, I have some weird boots from her that look like a transmog set of some kind. Thanks for the info tho'!

The ๖ۜBronx;248948430 said:
I feel like whatever anyone says won't change that if you felt the need to state it before finding the answer. It's probably the most difficult one yet, far more mechanical than prior ones and more reliant on teamwork. Setting is great. Lack of boss fights is disappointing for me personally, would have preferred the mechanics and the bosses over swapping one for them other.

Wait what?!?!? I almost feel that should be on spoiler tags, how is that possible.

And it's a valid question, this is destiny 2 I expect leaps forward in the way the game is designed and I would hope the raid is a milestone level. If it feels like just another expansion raid then it's a disappointment.

Quoting from the OT1. No wonder nobody responded last night.

Spoilers for secret areas of raid.
So we've been exploring the secret areas of the ship blindly for a while and we've figures some stuff out. We found multiple chests or doors which we can hear chests, but we don't know the combination to get to some. Does anyone know what the Engine Key chest lever combination is? Also it's cool that the checkpoint system is based on knowledge of the environment. Instead of just loading in. But could get annoying.

lightus

Help me guys. I was almost late to work this morning because I dreamed I got exotic armor that lets me hit snooze once per day.

It's officially infiltrated my subconscious.

Wait a week or two until there’s optimized strats and people aren’t burning out running it. Impressions change fairly significantly over time.

WotM was a sleeper hit, being seen as “ok” at first but later recognized as a damn solid top tier raid. While KF initially was praised a ton as a team-mechanic driven encounter until later people just said eh this isn’t fun to repeat.

This is generally where I'm at as well. Though there are some genuine tweaks that Bungie could make that wouldn't change the base experience of the Raid while making it less frustrating for many people.

Soft spoilers follow:
Adjust the ammo drops to be a bit more generous. Allow the raid vendor to be accessed without having to clear the entire raid first. And of course, fix bugs that seem to be happening in certain encounters.

Address those things and I think initial impressions will trend upwards. The other things I've seen complained about seem... subjective. So it's still too early to say which, if any, of those things need actual adjustment.

I'll add that it's not really necessary for a raid to be too reliant on strict mechanics in order to force an incredible amount of teamwork and communication. WoTM proves this.

There's two kinds of ways teamwork is forced the good kind like WoTM and the bad kind like King's Fall and this.
You seem quite dogged in your insistence that this is a 'bad raid'. I never even suggested that my points were positive, just that I feel it's more mechanically complex and reliant on communication than any Destiny raid before it.

Any raid teams running today? Got halfway last time before the team called it a night so I have like half of it figured. 281 Warlock if there's any openings.

Navid

Any spoiler free raid impressions?
I liked what I played last night (didn't finish it), enjoyed how it felt larger and provided more paths between encounters (potential secrets?) rather than a straight A to B path... The encounters themselves focused more on teamwork/mechanics rather than just kill waves and waves of enemies.

Only real downside is the drops, it's not fun going through over half a Raid and and coming out with 0 drops (other than tokens) between 6 people. Even VoG at launch wasn't that bad, yes you would get duplicates but at least you got drops.

Freeman76

You have an odd definition of 'gushing' when nearly half the thread is people bitching about the raid 🤷🏻*♂️.

I dont know (I blocked this glam guy months ago) but I assume that post you quoted was in response to mine

Its clear that anybody who sees a flaw in this game is shot down most of the time. I really question the longevity of this game and none of those things in the list are going to help.

Soft spoilers follow:
Adjust the ammo drops to be a bit more generous. Allow the raid vendor to be accessed without having to clear the entire raid first. And of course, fix bugs that seem to be happening in certain encounters.

Do you have to clear the raid in order to use the tokens? :(

E92 M3

WotM was an evolution of the VoG model and I hoped that this raid would have been the same. Also, I expected something completely different from the Cabal aesthetic.

Cornbread78

Any raid teams running today? Got halfway last time before the team called it a night so I have like half of it figured. 281 Warlock if there's any openings.

Today 4pm.GMT Raid PS4
Members:
Me
Tommycronin
Akira619 (still not sure if he will be able to attend)

3 slots available so far

Expect 3 to 4 hours of raiding.

I don't intend to go blind,so I will watch some videos and learn some mechanics. The more who know what we will be doing,the better.

My psn is Ruben-Paharou, hit me up there with a message or a friend request stating you are from gaf, and I can start assembling the group for later today.

Cheers

cheers

Do you have to clear the raid in order to use the tokens? :(

That's what's been reported so far. Which is, I feel, the one clear cut design mistake. Tokens are a pretty good way to allow players to progress towards something even when they can't clear everything and removes the rng of getting absolutely nothing... but that's worthless if players can't access the vendor until a full clear.

br3wnor

Sitting at 264. Was 249 yesterday but after turning in all my tokens, got to 260 and then after doing some of the ‘powerful gear’ quests I got to 264. One hitch I’ve run into is that I dismantled a lot of my blue gear once I realized you could turn them into the weapon smith, and after infusing my Exotic chest to 262, I figured I was good. Of course I get a 274 exotic helm drop this morning and now I don’t have any chest higher than 225 (kept all my legendaries) so the only option would be infusing my legendary chest w/ the Exotic, but I think I’ll just farm until I get a new chest. Only allowing 1 exotic was annoying to me at first but now I like it since it forces you to make tough decisions.

Still haven’t even dipped my toe into non solo stuff, ran 2 strikes but other than that have not grouped for anything. Need to pick a mic up and give Nightfall a shot this weekend. I really love this game.

DeviantBoi

Disappointed so far.

Made it to
the baths
but couldn't get our shit together to take down all of the
incense thingies

But seriously,
bathers
?!?!

So far, doesn't feel like I'm raiding anything.

Wait what?!?!? I almost feel that should be on spoiler tags, how is that possible.

And it's a valid question, this is destiny 2 I expect leaps forward in the way the game is designed and I would hope the raid is a milestone level. If it feels like just another expansion raid then it's a disappointment.

Sorry man, edited them in in case. Was just trying to give you a bit of a sense of the difference. Oh the question is fine, I just thought that if you were expecting a negative result you might find it hard to see anything short of perfect as a disappointment. I think opinion of the raid will get better over time as people understand the mechanics better and optimal strats are figured out.

I remember thinking the Gorgon Maze was a piece of shit when we did it blind, and now you spend all of fifteen seconds in it. Obviously the mechanics are more complex in Leviathan but I still feel a lot of the frustrations will be burnt away.

Cruxist

Watched the World First stream yesterday, can't wait to get into the raid once I'm a higher light level.

I do wish that Bungie would try and tackle single bosses without ads though. Obviously, as a FPS, you need something to do so it's not boring. So I'm not entirely sure what the solution is.

neoism

ok im probably just to high right now or did they "fix" the icons? because I only see two flashing right now and I have six crucible tokens but shaxx's icon isnt flashing.. The two icons that are flashing I can get an engram from? Before like yesterday/launch they all flashed if i could give them rep!
😐🤔

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
272 now and feeling raid ish ready, just need a scout rifle to infuse my Skyburner with as I have a +5 mod to put in it straight away, and set!

Top Bottom