• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Best auto/pulse/scout rifles... my thinking with loads of PvE and limited Crucible time so far in D2:

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

Am I overlooking anything? Any others i should give more of a shot?

Better Devils is easily my favorite gun in the game at this moment but i should bust out Nameless Midnight

Cornbread78

Best auto/pulse/scout rifles... my thinking with loads of PvE and limited Crucible time so far in D2:

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

Hard Light.

Skatterd

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

I love the Conspirator, but I haven't seen many people talking about it so maybe it's just me.

jviggy43

Yes, and MIDA is probably best in PVP. I didn't think I'd hear anyone questioning scouts in D2 because of how great the best ones are.

Yeah thats a weird complaint to me. I can see if weapons in general feel a bit worse but I think scouts are the best of the bunch right now.

Dthomp

Gotta say after playing a bunch of PVP and watching some streamers and tubers I gotta agree that if this stays 4x4 this game will not last in the PVP realm. Quickplay is sweaty, Comp is sweaty and trials is super sweaty. They need to adapt and quick with so many multiplayer games on the horizon it would be nice for bungie to actually communicate with the playerbase on ideas and whats to come before there isn't a playerbase to care

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

Most of your list appears on here, but there are a number I have enjoyed you can try out if you're just looking for some new stuff http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249240464&postcount=6152

There's a way to kill the boss in 1 shot if you can find him invisible on a wall, but it's really just blind luck
The Hunter exotic Foetracer can marker targeted enemies while aiming down sights, even when invisible.

Jblanks

Is it any surprise the games being/been nerfed out of existence when you have captain no fun in charge of the carnage that is the crucible

https://twitter.com/_mantis_/status/910516844808740865

https://twitter.com/_mantis_/status/910519773343055872

Must be a bundle of laughs in his house

As an outsider reading peoples thoughts on the game (and having played enough of D1 to know how these things go) the whole thing looks like a RoI type expansion, just enough to keep peoples interest for a month then it will slowly die off, next expansion will change some of the nerfs then the second will open the floodgates, rinse and repeat

Yea, unfortunately, this is probably true. I was hoping we would get past that crap, as I literally played D1 and the 2 big expansions for 1-2 months after release than stopped, so was hoping D2 would last longer for me but I don't think that's going to be the case. Shame because I really like D2 more than anything in D1 (TTK being very close), the foundation is there but the execution isn't/wasn't. Now I'm on the fence with buying the DLC..

Yeah thats a weird complaint to me. I can see if weapons in general feel a bit worse but I think scouts are the best of the bunch right now.

I dunno

maybe in PVP but man scouts were my most used weapon in D1 and im not feeling em in D2

i need to figure this out

Even when I ran around with MIDA i ended up liking the mini tool more for PvE and PVP dps

Maybe i should be using them different than i used to

JWiLL

Banned
I can't believe that they force you to redo the campaign with each character. And then to know that I'll have to do it again on PC...Jesus.

I'm actually really looking forward to doing it again on PC. Everything is going to look so damn good...plus there's essentially no loading times with an SSD. All fighting encounters at 100+ FPS with G Sync...what's not to love?

MastAndo

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

I find Vigilance Wing to work really well in PvP. I mean, I dominated a good 10 games in quick play last night, basically killing everything in sight, and I'm at best a mediocre PvP guy. Between the 5-round burst and the perks you get for fireteam deaths, I think the weapon had a lot to do with my playing well. Granted, I think the SBMM kicked in or something and I get stomped the next few games, but still...

Hawkmoon was highly coveted by most of the community from Day 1 due to its amazing visual/sound design and perks...I'm not talking about just the community here. I wasn't around for D1 but Hawkian sounds like a smart lad.

Nobody is excited about a MIDA anymore, let's be real.

Wanting more interesting loot in a game based around grinding for loot is perfectly reasonable.

Hell - there's only 1 new exotic helmet and gauntlets for both Hunters and Titans.

There was no special Hawkmoon hype outside of the fact it was an exotic. The moment people played with it, they wrote it off because it was hard to use. "Day 1" Destiny was all AR's all the time. Suros was the coveted gun. And I'm not talking about "the community here," I'm talking the community in general. Especially since there are no walled garden communities when it comes to what gear is good.

And people love the hell out of the MIDA in D2. Which is what's leading to others hating it. lol.

"More interesting" is subjective. So far I'm still intrigued by the gear available and I'm especially curious about what I builds I can make with once I start messing with mods.

But if you're looking for Borderlands but made by Bungie, you're going to be disappointed. Just like the folks looking for Warframe but made by Bungie. This isn't those games and it shouldn't necessarily be more like those games.

Yeah MIDA... and scout rifles in general feel.... so off in Destiny 2

Like... They dont hit hard, range and recoil is wonky. I have yet to find a scout rifle that even comes close to the scouts I used in Destiny 1

Does anyone else notice this?

Call to Serve, Does Not Compute, Tone Patrol, and though I haven't used it, Nameless Midnight are all solid feeling and damaging Scouts. Mida doesn't hit too hard but it's steady, fast firing and has HCR so it staggers enemies.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Raid and PvE (Tether) (top tree) I've been using Knucklehead as it came w/ a +Resiliance mod which is rare, but the boots that give Class Ability Energy seems ok?

PvE stuff Arcstrider (top tree) Raiden Flux helps you stun lock bosses and clear rooms with "RB/R2"

So, tether is the go to for the raid? I have the pants that work with that, and do dig invisibility.

So weirded out by lucky pants and the half second of auto aim they give you

There was no special Hawkmoon hype outside of the fact it was an exotic. The moment people played with it, they wrote it off because it was hard to use. "Day 1" Destiny was all AR's all the time. Suros was the coveted gun. And I'm not talking about "the community here," I'm talking the community in general. Especially since there are no walled garden communities when it comes to what gear is good.

And people love the hell out of the MIDA in D2. Which is what's leading to others hating it. lol.

"More interesting" is subjective. So far I'm still intrigued by the gear available and I'm especially curious about what I builds I can make with once I start messing with mods.

But if you're looking for Borderlands but made by Bungie, you're going to be disappointed. Just like the folks looking for Warframe but made by Bungie. This isn't those games and it shouldn't necessarily be more like those games.

Call to Serve, Does Not Compute, Tone Patrol, and though I haven't used it, Nameless Midnight are all solid feeling and damaging Scouts. Mida doesn't hit too hard but it's steady, fast firing and has HCR so it staggers enemies.

I must be going crazy cuz i was using scouts till i scored better devils and my gameplay experience improved immediately

I find Vigilance Wing to work really well in PvP. I mean, I dominated a good 10 games in quick play last night, basically killing everything in sight, and I'm at best a mediocre PvP guy. Between the 5-burst shot and the perks you get for fireteam deaths, I think the weapon had a lot to do with my playing well. Granted, I think the SBMM kicked in or something and I get stomped the next few games, but still...

Havent been lucky enough for a VW roll yet. Def have my eye on it though! I do love GL... but it needs a buff.

jviggy43

I dunno

maybe in PVP but man scouts were my most used weapon in D1 and im not feeling em in D2

i need to figure this out

Even when I ran around with MIDA i ended up liking the mini tool more for PvE and PVP dps

Maybe i should be using them different than i used to

But Namless midnight is currently the best weapon in PVE too. So in both PvE and PvP scout's dominate.

I have Nameless Midnight and I can't stand how slow it fires. The explosive rounds were cool, but then I have to use DPS in my energy slot and I don't feel like wasting that on an auto rifle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, tether is the go to for the raid? I have the pants that work with that, and do dig invisibility.

Either Tether, and Nighthawk Golden Gun with Way of the Sharpshooter are both excellent in the raid.

I have Nameless Midnight and I can't stand how slow it fires. The explosive rounds were cool, but then I have to use DPS in my energy slot and I don't feel like wasting that on an auto rifle.

See i knew i wasnt the only one

Something is off with scouts man im telling ya

im gonna do some comparisons tonight

R0ckman

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

Frontier Justice

I must be going crazy cuz i was using scouts till i scored better devils and my gameplay experience improved immediately

You're not crazy. Better Devils is seriously that good. Bad News is pretty solid too. As someone that had the Y2 "Godroll" Hung Jury and used it all throughout D1... There are good scouts in this game. They don't quite have the same explosiveness (pun intended) but they're good.

Jblanks

Proposal: add lots of fun armor perks, but only have them apply to PvE since they're break Crucible.

Similar to how some perks in D1 were only active when killing/hitting "minions of the Darkness", etc. "You are a flaming ball of lightening, when fighting minions of the Darkness".

Problem solved.

The amount of problems they could solve by balancing PvE and PvP separate is crazy, and actually, makes me mad to even think about it because they'll never do it..

JWiLL

Banned

I think you're forgetting that Suros was sold by Xur fairly early...while Hawkmoon wasn't in his loot table due to being a console exclusive.

Suros was at the top early, for sure, but for many of the more PVP oriented players (like myself) they saw early how great exotic HCs could be due to TLW outperforming Suros in close quarters and being a shotgun counter. Then people found out about Hawkmoon's 2 tap potential and it was pretty highly coveted.

I've never heard of anyone claiming that Hawkmoon was "hard to use", but again I spent more time on the Crucible Playbook sub than DTG like most folks. That being said - people "writing off"" Hawkmoon is not something I've ever read anywhere.

I see most of your posts here are in defense of the game, which is fine (I'm enjoying it too), but as many others have commented on thus far - it seems like Destiny is a loot based game that's going to have a loot problem pretty damn early after it's release.

See i knew i wasnt the only one

Something is off with scouts man im telling ya

im gonna do some comparisons tonight

Well the thing I don't like about most of Destiny's weapons, especially Scout Rifles, is that the reticles aren't static. If someone shoots you to the side, or with high caliber rounds, all of a sudden you can't aim straight anymore. It makes scout combat in particular obnoxious. Like, Hand Cannon duels were sick (unless the other person had a stupid luck in the chamber perk on it) because you could strafe in between aiming, shoot from the hip, or jump around. But you get in a Mida vs Mida duel and it's a crapshoot because your bullets aren't even going in the center of the gun anymore, and you have to stay on the ground and ADS.

That's not really a thing in PvE, but I'm just not a fan of the cadence of the slow firing archetype. All of the Hakke weapons just don't feel natural to use.

You're not crazy. Better Devils is seriously that good. Bad News is pretty solid too. As someone that had the Y2 "Godroll" Hung Jury and used it all throughout D1... There are good scouts in this game. They don't quite have the same explosiveness (pun intended) but they're good.

Take tone patrol

Solid energy scout with a good sight and good fire rate... that I cant take advantage of

The recoil is so bad that the reticule bounces like crazy. So i cant fire consecutively like I used to with Suros scouts meaning that i have to pepper shots slow and deliberately as if i was using Call to Serve. I might as well use that since it fires slow enough anyways and hits harder

I used to be able to use scouts like bread and butter high tension weapons but maybe thats the big change from D1 to D2

You have to hang back and suedo snipe. While with better devils i can straight up brawl at multiple ranges.

But ill be fair and bust out nameless midnight and see how it compares

The amount of problems they could solve by balancing PvE and PvP separate is crazy, and actually, makes me mad to even think about it because they'll never do it..

I really dont understand this. Why is this still a thing... balancing PvE&PvP together? They MUST do this eventually or make only certain weapons playable/usable in the crucible and give us some crazy, cool shit for PvE only. It really zaps the fun out of PvE.

LiK

• Cuboid Aru
  • Scathelock
  • Origin Story
  • Lincoln Green
  • Nameless Midnight
  • Jiangshi/Uriel's
  • Nightshade
  • MIDA *yawn*
  • Call to Serve

Prosecutor

lionelhutz

What's the verdict on Handcannons in general? Probably horrible in PVP, how about PvE?

Not a fan of HC in PVP or PVE in D2. They were my favorite weapon in D1 so it's a bit of a bummer. They're definitely missing something.

I'm finding the SR/AR combo to work well just about everywhere.

FinKL

For me it is

raid spoilers:
Dogs, you'll usually be solo'ing your dog. Tether + Voidwall/Vortex grenades is almost a one shot on your dog at 48x stacks. I guess you could do Golden Gun here too.

Baths, tether helps the team w/ dpsing the purple chain when dps phase start

Gauntlet, only 1 hard enemy here, tether helps make orbs for team

Last Boss - Tether increases everyone's dps for a few seconds. I can see an arguement for 3x Golden Gun shot here, as you'll do lots of dmg and produce 6 orbs if you hit all crits

jadedm17

I just spent 20 minutes killing enemies with a sword that had no ammo; I can't figure out how so many people decided to power-level through a game so full of random things to do.

To each their own I guess.

Not a fan of HC in PVP or PVE in D2. They were my favorite weapon in D1 so it's a bit of a bummer. They're definitely missing something.

I'm finding the SR/AR combo to work well just about everywhere.

Sunshot has done me well pve but targets explode in solar energy is what makes it. Generally I've found them lackluster in pvp and pve which is dissapointing.

I just spent 20 minutes killing enemies with a sword that had no ammo; I can't figure out how so many people decided to power-level through a game so full of random things to do.

To each their own I guess.

i reckon not many people appreciably play destiny for the little things. i sat in the trostland fighting the cabal vs fallen war for hours last week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Quickfang, Stomp-EE5s, Way of the Trapper is basically my favorite playstyle so far, and you can indeed continue to hold your own with no ammo. Swapping quickly out of sword for the wombo combo and back takes some practice and is stupid fun too.

Picked up Dune Marchers (Titan Exotic legs) last night, but haven't had the chance to play with them yet.

Should I sacrifice my Actium to wear those, or just keep firing auto rifles non-stop?

Top Bottom