• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

TsuWave

this close to deleting my hunter and making another one for the guaranteed exotic engram at the end and the milestones again for a chance at Orpheus Rig like someone suggested earlier in the thread....

but playing through those first missions where your character lost the light and is just dragging himself is so painful i don't ever want to do that again. one of my worst gaming experiences in recent times. fuck.

void666

Banned
this close to deleting my hunter and making another one for the guaranteed exotic engram at the end and the milestones again for a chance at Orpheus Rig like someone suggested earlier in the thread....

but playing through those first missions where your character lost the light and is just dragging himself is so painful i don't ever want to do that again. one of my worst gaming experiences in recent times. fuck.

This is insane. Just keep playing. You'll eventually have everything. Orpheus rig is cool, but far from game changing.

Why would you ever do this just for an Exotic Engram?

Just go do 10 Public Events and you'll be very likely to get an Exotic Engram for a small chance at the Orpheus Rigs.

What's different (mechanics or otherwise) during the Calus encounter in Prestige mode?

Person slapping the psion in the throne room gets teleported to the shadow realm, and one person from the shadow realm randomly gets teleported back to the throne room.

Calus' shield has more health, adds are harder to kill (obviously).

Person slapping the psion in the throne room gets teleported to the shadow realm, and one person from the shadow realm randomly gets teleported back to the throne room.

What was your method of keeping callouts and psion killing organized in the shadow realm?

Played with a pick up group last night and it felt like a wild scramble every time through.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question about exotic stuff.

Early on in the story, you get a choice of an exotic. Obviously it's low level, so it gets replaced pretty quickly. I went over to my collection and see the same exotic there at a higher level for 10 legendary shards. Does that mean that, once I obtain an exotic, I can get a higher level version of it at anytime if I have the shards? So I don't have to worry about dismantling a low level exotic?

What was your method of keeping callouts and psion killing organized in the shadow realm?

Played with a pick up group last night and it felt like a wild scramble every time through.

Person who gets teleported back to throne room calls out the order of their callout - first, second or third. That becomes the symbol callout for the person getting teleported to the shadow realm.

The two already in the shadow realm need to be more vigilant about killing all the 3 red bar psions in case the teleported player spawns all the way at the back.

Best to assign one player to always punch a psion so that minimizes the teleport pool to 4 instead of 6.

Early on in the story, you get a choice of an exotic. Obviously it's low level, so it gets replaced pretty quickly. I went over to my collection and see the same exotic there at a higher level for 10 legendary shards. Does that mean that, once I obtain an exotic, I can get a higher level version of it at anytime if I have the shards? So I don't have to worry about dismantling a low level exotic?

True, but the exotics in the collection are locked to that Power level. So, yes it can be an upgrade till that PL.

Toe-Knee

I think they max out at 205 in the vault but yes.

TsuWave

Why would you ever do this just for an Exotic Engram?

Just go do 10 Public Events and you'll be very likely to get an Exotic Engram for a small chance at the Orpheus Rigs.

its not just the 1 exotic engram. you get a chance at exotics through the milestones plus i think i wanna redo my character's look. i just don't think i have it in me to grind to 20 again.

besides i feel like the exotic engram drop rate from PE's has been stealth nerfed. i used to get one or two every 15 heroic ones. now i can be doing them for hours without seeing one. i dunno.

This is insane. Just keep playing. You'll eventually have everything. Orpheus rig is cool, but far from game changing.

yeah its a crazy investment of both energy and time. i was told orpheus was game changing and a true call back to D1 powerful exotics so i kinda became obsessed but tbh i don't think i have the energy to play through the story a 4th time and grind to level 20 again

its not just the 1 exotic engram. you get a chance at exotics through the milestones plus i think i wanna redo my character's look. i just don't think i have it in me to grind to 20 again.

besides i feel like the exotic engram drop rate from PE's has been stealth nerfed. i used to get one or two every 15 heroic ones. now i can be doing them for hours without seeing one. i dunno.

You get a shot at Exotics every week from doing the Milestones. You even have a shot at getting an Exotic from running the regular Strikes each time. It just seems what you are suggesting to be rather pointless in the grand scheme of things ( not worth it to delete/start a new character for just that one guaranteed Exotic Engram).

I got both the Orpheus Rigs and Celestial Nighthawk during the first week of Destiny 2 and just feel like the Nightstalker subclass feels vastly different than it did in Destiny 1 for whatever reasons so I mostly play as a Gunslinger now.

Regarding Exotic Engram drops from Public Events, you're just going through a bad stretch, if you continue to play them you'll start getting Exotic drops every 6-10 events again.

Sometimes I feel like a crazy person for thinking the PVP is largely fine

I win about as often as I lose, I die to all kinds of weapons, classes and abilities, I enjoy every mode except the bomb one, I rarely feel like the game is fucking me over

It doesn't have the progression hooks of a CoD or intensity of a TLOU to keep me playing outside of the challenges/milestones, but still. Maybe its much worse in Competetive, I play Quickplay exclusively outside of Trials/Iron Banner.

It's way more balanced but at the same time way more boring than D1. That's probably a result of a combination of factors including being too scared to make OP exotics, the move to 4v4 only, the extreme nerf to abilities and grenades, and the two primary system. That's all before you factor in how terrible the spawn system is right now and some really unbalanced maps for certain modes.

yeah its a crazy investment of both energy and time. i was told orpheus was game changing and a true call back to D1 powerful exotics so i kinda became obsessed but tbh i don't think i have the energy to play through the story a 4th time and grind to level 20 again
Orpheus Rig is cool, but not that cool. Just like most of the better exotics in D2, it's very situational (though admittedly it's a situation that pops up a lot in PvE).

Cornbread78

Friday night (PS4) Newb Raid (10pm EST) is Full

Sherpa:
- CarbonFire
- sephi22

Newbs:
- Griffy-
- DeadlyCyclone
- Mairu
- Wolffen

Thanks for the organization Cornbread. Looking forward to getting these guys their first completion. After hitting our heads against the Prestige Raid yesterday with El Cuco and the gang, the normal one should be a breath of fresh air lol
No bueno. I'm helping sherpa a newbie raid.
Down during Sat/Sun for sure

Thanks guys for stepping up and leading some future raiders to the promise land! Sephi, this time, 3 of the newbs are actually your clan mates, so you can invite them directly from the clan list! (Grif, Mair, Wolf)

At this point they should just create a Milestone that gives a guaranteed Exotic for completing all five Strikes during a given week (probably make this per account rather than per character). It would be nice to have to do each of the Strikes but I'm not sure matchmaking would allow that for some players or how that would work in the end.

I mean it's not like Strikes are hard or anything but the weekly Flashpoint Milestone is really nothing more than going through the motions so time spent playing the Strikes is really what would be the rewarding factor of the getting an Exotic. Using "Heroic" versions of the Strikes would be better but anything "Heroic" in Destiny is seemingly dead.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So it’s casual because it’s designed for people who enjoy challenge for the sake of challenge? 👀

?

The game is casual because you don't have to complete the hardest encounters to get all the loot. This isn't rocket science. It's been discussed to death the last month. Having no meaningful rewards tied to the hardest content in the game just supports this idea.

?

The game is casual because you don't have to complete the hardest encounters to get all the loot. This isn't rocket science. It's been discussed to death the last month. Having no meaningful rewards tied to the hardest content in the game just supports this idea.

It doubles down on the idea.

?

A lot of games offer nothing but cosmetic stuff for the hardest content in their game. Bungle is trying to do the same.

Would you call Overwatch casual?

sephi22

A lot of games offer nothing but cosmetic stuff for the hardest content in their game. Bungle is trying to do the same.

Is that a trick question?
Dota 2 would be a better example. Hardcore game. Balancing revolved around competitive scene. All rewards and unlocks are cosmetic.

However, OW and Dota 2 are different because the hardest content isn't any different than the easiest content. It's all the same. Better comparisons would be other RPGs or Action games.

Deku Tree

Today reminds me that Bungie had a great exotic in Transversive Steps in D1.

Then they brought it back in D2 but for some reason they needed to made it really bad and almost not even worth wearing.

commish

Destiny isn't a loot game, never was. But no, I'm not comparing it to OW.

I'm not going to get bogged down into arguing about what's a "loot game" - we all did that in 2014. My point is that they should have provided better rewards for completing the prestige mode raid in order to reward players for completing the hardest challenge in the game. If you think it's better to receive no rewards for prestige mode (the minor cosmetic crap does not count), then that's fine.

Out 1

That's a good way to put it.

I've been defending Bungie's design decisions, but I agree that there should be a meaningful endgame activity for PVE players. Like what Trials is for PVP people. Shrinking player base is going to hurt us too, you know.

sense

Isn’t there some sort of twitch event supposed to happen with more details regarding the immediate future of destiny 2.

Out 1

Then they brought it back in D2 but for some reason they needed to made it really bad and almost not even worth wearing.

What are you talking about? My warlock wears it 99% of the time. I'd take faster sprint (and longer slide distance) over slightly shorter cooldowns, especially in Trials.

My point is that they should have provided better rewards for completing the prestige mode raid in order to reward players for completing the hardest challenge in the game. If you think it's better to receive no rewards for prestige mode (the minor cosmetic crap does not count), then that's fine.

TBF I'm not arguing with you that D2 is not a more casual game - it totally is.

Cosmetic stuff is irrelevant to me. I will never buy or pay for micro transactions. The charm (or illusion thereof) of having a cosmetic aura or emblem to show off your completion is lost in a day or two.

Zereta

I'm running my first alt character and I seem to recall learning that Loot Sector chests, when looted, give a guaranteed upgrade point. Is that true? Want to get my Hunter maxed out as quickly as possible to add it to my weekly ritual. But wasn't sure about that. Didn't knowingly do that for my Warlock when I was playing.

commish

Cosmetic stuff is irrelevant to me. I will never buy or pay for micro transactions. The charm (or illusion thereof) of having a cosmetic aura or emblem to show off your completion is lost in a day or two.

I would pay for a ghost skin that turned my ghost into Yoda.

I'm running my first alt character and I seem to recall learning that Loot Sector chests, when looted, give a guaranteed upgrade point. Is that true? Want to get my Hunter maxed out as quickly as possible to add it to my weekly ritual. But wasn't sure about that. Didn't knowingly do that for my Warlock when I was playing.

I think it was some of the Adventures that gives the upgrade points. You can hover over them on the map and it will tell you what the rewards are.

Kaibutsu

What are you talking about? My warlock wears it 99% of the time. I'd take faster sprint (and longer slide distance) over slightly shorter cooldowns, especially in Trials.

Well to be fair the Transversive Steps in Destiny 1 allowed you move just as fast crouch walking as you would normally upright, silently. Plus picking up ammo automatically reloaded that weapon type. It was one of the best exotics in Destiny 1. Taking that into consideration, Bungie seriously nerfed them.

Then you're not the core audience for Bungie. They now cater to people who'll spend money on their stupid emotes and ornaments and will leave after a few weeks. Then those same people will come back for the dlc and any new cosmetic shit they add in with it, play a few more weeks and go away again. Rinse repeat ad infinitum.

void666

Banned

"So this will reload my energy weapon if i just run around? Cool. Run run run run... 9 bullets? Wat?"

That titan legs reload my smg and all i have to do is switch weapons for a second. With transversive steps i need to run a marathon. Why?

Zereta

Then you're not the core audience for Bungie. They now cater to people who'll spend money on their stupid emotes and ornaments and will leave after a few weeks. Then those same people will come back for the dlc and any new cosmetic shit they add in with it, play a few more weeks and go away again. Rinse repeat ad infinitum.

This is unfair because you know its an exaggeration. Destiny 2's philosophy is that no matter what you do, you'll get to max level anyway. I think the miscalculation that they made is that as a "collection game" and not a "loot game", they thought their player base would be chill if stuff was just cosmetic and people would run events for funsies to collect sets and stuff.

They were wrong and awfully misguided.

commish

I would agree with you if the cosmetic stuff wasn't so limited. As I mentioned above, where are the ghost skins? Where are the skins that turn me into a pirate? If you are going to go the cosmetic route, then you really need to go all out with it. Allowing me to change the color of my helmet from black to a shiny blue to camo is not really going to get the cosmetic market.

Out 1

Well to be fair the Transversive Steps in Destiny 1 allowed you move just as fast crouch walking as you would normally upright, silently. Plus picking up ammo automatically reloaded that weapon type. It was one of the best exotics in Destiny 1. Taking that into consideration, Bungie seriously nerfed them.

Then I’m glad it’s not a thing in D2. Reload perk sounds neat tho.

Cornbread78

I switch exotics between Eye of Another World and Transversive Steps, but recently just the helmet because I haven't gotten any drops to level up my Transversive Steps to 305.

Kaibutsu

I switch exotics between Eye of Another World and Transversive Steps, but recently just the helmet because I haven't gotten any drops to level up my Transversive Steps to 305.

The Karnstein Armlets are pretty much my go to 90% of the time. Plus they look really cool!

sephi22

Missing exotics:

Hunter: Ahamgara Gauntlets (Arms)

Titan: Synthocepts (Arm), Crest of Alpha Lupi (Chest), Dunemarchers (Legs)

Warlock: Eye of Another World (Head)

Weapons: 0

I'm close to beating Destiny 2 the collection game.

"So this will reload my energy weapon if i just run around? Cool. Run run run run... 9 bullets? Wat?"

That titan legs reload my smg and all i have to do is switch weapons for a second. With transversive steps i need to run a marathon. Why?

You could pair them with Trials guns and slide a bit while running, thus reloading 2 extra bullets.

OP slide-run warlock fast reload build. Should make a YouTube video about it and get rich.

Kaibutsu

Missing exotics:

Hunter: Ahamgara Gauntlets (Arms)

Titan: Synthocepts (Arm), Crest of Alpha Lupi (Chest), Dunemarchers (Legs)

Warlock: Eye of Another World (Head)

Weapons: 0

I'm close to beating Destiny 2 the collection game.

Yeah, looking back I think that's one of the things that made Destiny 1 feel so special. It was hard to get all the exotics so they felt really special when you got one. Here I'm just checking off easily obtainable items off a list. Even the Arcius which seemed like something that I would never get when that first group figured out the on the comms quest, was pretty trivial to obtain and max out.

Cornbread78

The Karnstein Armlets are pretty much my go to 90% of the time. Plus they look really cool!

I think I broker those down and kept the Winter's Guile and Sunbracers.

I got Nezarec's Sin as a Milestone reward last night, but I haven't used it yet to see if it is helpful.

Kaibutsu

I think I broker those down and kept the Winter's Guile and Sunbracers.

the karnstein's are cool because you get back 10% of health and ability energy for every person you punch

I got Nezarec's Sin as a Milestone reward last night, but I haven't used it yet to see if it is helpful.

That is the best looking exotic armor imo but really not useful unless you are playing a voidwalker and even then i think Eye of Another is better for that

edit: eye of another world doesn't recharge super energy any faster though

I would agree with you if the cosmetic stuff wasn't so limited. As I mentioned above, where are the ghost skins? Where are the skins that turn me into a pirate? If you are going to go the cosmetic route, then you really need to go all out with it. Allowing me to change the color of my helmet from black to a shiny blue to camo is not really going to get the cosmetic market.
When has Bungie NOT half-assed the implementation of one of their concepts? I might be exaggerating, but I'm not off by a lot. And, I guess, I'm not particularly angry. It's business. They're making money, hand over fist through this stuff so it makes sense for them to double down on the cosmetic microtransaction stuff. They just need to be ready to face the consequences of their actions. If they keep making money then their bet pays off and if the casual nature alongwith the incessant microtransactions (for example, the best shaders) piss off the players, they'll have bet wrong. Either way, my days of preordering Bungie games are over.

Top Bottom