• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

So whats the deal with WEAPONS

From how the weekly update reads it almost seems like the Prestige raid and Iron banner are only offering cosmetics and Armor

No new weapons at all?

Vanadium

Well you can call it Toxic, but the posts like this have come and gone since D1 first released and it played a big part in how bungie actually fixed big portions of the game they thought were just fantastic and everybody else hated.

There's substance in the sub right now, it's just the internet and nobody on the internet can articulate themselves like Winston Churchill.

and people wonder why game developers don't reach out to the community.

I agree.

its not a small task to hit 305 and do all the content. Destiny doesn't ask for a sub. Move on. Play with friends when you can, have fun. Do the stuff when it comes out.

why is that problem for people?

this is what I am talking about, the post above mine talking about portions that need fixing is totally ok, the community should have feedback into what we want to play, especially if Bungie is asking.

jviggy43

I agree.

its not a small task to hit 305 and do all the content. Destiny doesn't ask for a sub. Move on. Play with friends when you can, have fun. Do the stuff when it comes out.

Because people want Destiny to be more than that. At a minimum, most people expect this content to be on par with destiny 1 but like a lot of things with D2, theyre scaling back things that would give them more things to do in end game. Why is wanting that a problem for some people? If you don't have a problem with it, great. But why are you concerned about other people not being happy with it? Move on.

Raven117

All in all, I do think Destiny 2 is in a good place for the vast amount of players. Right smack dab in the average playtime a week.

What they screwed up IMO was the middle ground most of all.

They nailed the casual crowd. There is plenty to keep them busy when they log on a few times a week for an hour or two.

The raid...well, raids have always been huge time commitments but they took out a little incentive to actually play it. There is nothing special there. Its not the most "fun" of the raids either...so it really does feel like a chore. Regardless, its there for the hardcore if they want it. Running a raid three times a week would take HOURS of playtime.

But really, the issue is that middle grind. That reason to kick back in the strike playlist, shoot some aliens and get some loot (maybe different rolls).

I think the game would be in a better position if they re-worked the reward system with respect to the strike playlist. D1 had this...especially in year 1 with the weeklies, but also with the strike specific gear. It wasn't the best way to handle it, but you at least had something to work towards.

I know alot of us want them to rework the endgame for the hardcore, but I think the game would be helped tremendously if they reworked that middle impact (log on shoot aliens, get a little something, and log off) part of the curve.

Obviously they need help with raid rewards, but I just dont see that happening anytime soon. They just want too tight of a grip on the sandbox for pve. (And truly, for pve...the fatebringer, Ghorn, Blackhammer combo wasn't prevelant in pvp...it was just pve..)

Man, i'll never understand the mentality that the chase is better than having what you chase.

Look at my crucible rank by the end of Destiny 1:

n7Dd41W.png

There might be one or two gaffers that were higher than me from what i know.

Up until rank 450 ish you know the only thing i wanted to get from the rank up package? A good rolled Longbow. Thats it, thats all i wanted. You know when i got it? At rank 525. Amazing right? Anyone here would probably bet that that moment had me extremely excited and jumping up and down right? Not really, i wanted it until rank 450 ish as i said because after that was the sniper nerf and special ammo nerf. Snipers that were not Icebreaker were completely and utterly useless to be worth using in Trials. I used the Longbow i got probably one time and then never again.

Even if that nerf scenario didnt exist, only getting that gun after 525 rank ups, which took probably 800+ hours of pvp to get is not what made me kept playing the game. I played the game because of the friends i made and because it was fun. /shrug

GazzaGSi

Same here. Works great and it's easy to use. Now, if I didn't have to keep fast tracking over and over again to get people to do the PEs with, but that's another story, lol.

I hear ya lol but it is a relief when you fast travel again to find 4+ players all waiting for it to kick off!

I agree.

Because people weren't expecting to hit that point less than (or now 1) month into launch. All the items that were discussed to extend longevity have really no meaning. What's the point of running lost sectors when I don't get anything usable? Same with strikes? There are really no more mini goals for many people to keep going. I have two mini goals and one is dependent on weekly reset so I don't have much of a carrot to keep playing, which is what others have stated. I mean my clan started with 6 folks who raided hardcore in AoT and have expanded out to friends in D2. Less and less of that expanded clan is on and one of the founders has quit raiding because of the shit loot system in the raid and rampant bugs deleting her keys. Most folks seem to log on weekly for the reset stuff and move on, which is not what was experienced in D1.

The big drawback for me is the lack of being able to set goals for myself to keep me engaged. D1 drops scaled better than here due to the silly mod system. Randomized perks kept me going to get specific rolls of whatever I was looking for (which honestly I don't see why they don't do that at least for armor and it's base stats so fashiondestiny is a thing). I wanted to build out my ship kiosk and emblem kiosk and would log in when rares were there and grind glimmer for them. I wanted that NM AR with PB, CB and HCR that had a chance to drop on rank ups and so ran content to rank up.

The friendship thing: I enjoy raiding and playing with my clan, but we all also want to get something gear wise. Getting tokens and non stop duplicates is a constant kick to the junk.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Intensity aside, maybe if there's a certain quantifiable number of complaints, it's an issue??
I see this misguided logic applied often, look at all the people yelling, surely indicative of a massive failure! If they don't correct x, they'll be sorry, just look at all the people complaining about it.

I've yet to be convinced, in terms of launch design without really any knowledge of where the game will go, they made the wrong call.

In this industry, if your game has a playerbase of a certain size, any decision, even those that seem inconsequential (or universally positive) are going to be resented by some percentage of that playerbase. What's more is that the number of people resenting it isn't likely to appreciably change from event to event, just which subset of the total playerbase is upset by it. Sometimes this resentment is invisible, as when decisions are made that screw over the lowest common denominator, a player who does not and will not ever have a NeoGAF account nor post on a forum of any kind about videogames. Sometimes the resentment is mild, as when the decision is made that impacts the median player but does not impact the fringes. Sometimes the resentment is at a fever pitch, as when the decision primarily impacts the vocal minority at the far high end of the spectrum.

Any of these can be "an issue" of course, And live software development is ever an unwinnable game of triage and prioritization to try and fix things that are showstoppers, improve systems for the greatest number of users with the resources available, and add new things to an existing framework, all without breaking anything in the process. Sometimes you're more successful than others.

But for these games, failure is not contingent on any number of complaints. Failure is silence. History strongly indicates that those complaining the loudest also have a high likelihood of playing for another few hundred hours regardless. Meanwhile by design the game attempts to cater to people who may very well not be 100% happy with the product, but are also less likely to ever even experience the problems being described most vocally.

I can guarantee you for example that Bungie considers the posts about people hitting 265 and feeling roadblocked by poor conveyance of the path ahead to be a higher priority issue than the much more fervent and frequent posts by regulars about having "nothing to do." This was a soft cap they attempted to smooth over during initial progression with some success, but I would wager they are unhappy with anyone feeling frustrated at this point in the journey- especially because they simply may not know all of the avenues of progression available.

It makes both good business sense and design sense to prioritize that issue and its potential reappearance going forward- even if a lot of us at the high end of the spectrum never had that issue, rocketing easily past 265 in the first few days, and couldn't care less about it now. Probably many would consider it dumb to allocate any resources to it that could be spent improving things for the most devoted players of the game instead.

But that's a perspective problem and nothing more.

There's a very simple binary at play either: either you enjoy actually playing the game or you don't.
If you do, then your vertical progression is not the source of this enjoyment but merely the way you unlock all the options. It's just how you ensure that you can do whatever you want to do.
If you don't, but would be compelled to play anyway by the introduction of "more to do" in a checklist sense, that's a problem. It's not a failing of the game that it does not encourage people who aren't having fun to continue playing anyway.

The version of the game that simultaneously pleases all types of players in equal measure does not and cannot exist. I've talked about this exact thing so many times, for many different games. I can find big-ass posts I made from five years ago about the same topic, back when I actually enjoyed the arguments themselves. Now having seen exactly how cyclical it is it's just boring.

I don't care at all how casual or hardcore you are. What matters to me is whether or not you're having fun. That's the basis of every attempt I make to help others; it's fun for me, hopefully it makes things more fun for them. If you aren't having fun there is literally nothing for you here that would make this worthwhile and never will be.

For my part, it does feel a little weird to see some of the hand-wringing, since I'm around 150 hours and I'm not "done" even in the more traditional progression/stuff to do sense:

-In collection terms, I don't have all the exotic weapons, let alone all exotic armor pieces, let alone all of the legendary weapons I want that are currently in the game, let alone all legendary armor and weapons.
-I don't have the two fully optimized armor/mod sets I want on my main character, let alone my other 2
-Only two of my characters are at 305/base level 300
-I don't have 305 versions of many of the weapons and armor pieces I use regularly
-I haven't done all the Adventures
-I haven't done the Prestige Raid (obviously), which I am interested in for the challenge itself
-I would love to go Flawless in Trials, at least once

One interpretation might be that it is my own "fault" that I have played so much and haven't accomplished all/more of these things yet. I suppose that is fair. I could have played more efficiently and focused solely on the most completion/progression possible over time. But would I have enjoyed myself more under those circumstances? Or is it more likely I would simply have more to complain about right now?

Then there's the stuff I don't have to check off a list but keeps me playing anyway. I also generally enjoy the PvP and I'm better at it than I was in D1. I find rolling with a competent team very satisfying and I've always enjoyed Iron Banner, and vastly prefer the Control gametype in D2 to its D1 incarnation, so I'm excited. I am also looking forward to running weekly newbie raids which is its own challenge and reward. Even if playing with DGAF wasn't the most compelling reason to keep playing regardless of content for me- which it is- there's legitimately still plenty for me to do even as an "almost hardcore" player.

But therein lies the rub... Destiny 2 isn't the only game I play. There's a massive new GW2 expansion I've barely been able to sink my teeth into. Cuphead is fantastic and scratches a completely different itch than anything I've played recently. Nioh, which I scrambled to beat in advance of this coming out, has multiple DLCs I haven't touched including one that came out last goddamn week. Despite over 90 hours in Hyrule I still haven't beaten Ganon in BotW, And I heard there's some game coming out this month with a plumber in it or something, I think it's a new IP.

There's no reason that someone with the free time I have available should expect any single game to indefinitely hold my interest for both hours per session and months per year. Even if it could do a better job of it, there's no way I could be convinced that it would be better for Destiny 2 to occupy literally all of my gaming time. I don't want it to. I understand that many people feel differently, and for the moment all I can do is be happy that the game's intrinsic design favors my approach.

The people who benefit from making D2 the only game they play? I play all the time with husbands, wives, parents, people with jobs with whack schedules, people in timezones that put them at all offpeak hours. People who have a dedicated night or two to do some gaming and make it count. People who want to play more and have plenty to do, but can't. All of the progression/grind aspects of D1 that are gone had a tangible effect of making players like this feel like they would get rapidly left behind. I'm not the least bit sad to see them go. For me, bringing them back would really just make the game worse.

Do these changes mean that there is less to occupy the hours of the hardcore day-in and day-out? Of course. But if you aren't having fun it doesn't matter either way. Take a moment to really ask yourself whether or not you are and you should know what to do.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'll just take a Destiny drought as an opportunity to play more Warframe. Hell, maybe i'll finally get Nekros prime.
I'm never gonna get the goddamn system bp to drop

Strider

One thing I'd wish they'd add to this game is weapon archetype burns.

You know how fast I'd jump into a prestige raid if there was a sidearm burn? WHEW

I'd enjoy the game more in general, if modifiers were more plentiful and utilized more often. I love that type of "random" mechanics in my game... I can run rifts in D3 for hours and hours as an example.

Just drop "The Mad" gear that's gotten exclusively through grinding, looks super cool, and has exclusive perks--give that part of the community something to chase for a while. Shouldn't be too difficult to put in via update.

E92 M3

I ran out and got a PS4 when I saw destiny alpha was coming on E3. I think there was a lot that was broken in the original especially just respecting peoples time(the forever level 29, having to worry about being maxed to even have a chance to play things like IB etc) and the mindless grinding to which people love now because that’s what they had to do back then. ( I remember people crying about how they “earned” xyz exotic when they had NO control over drops lol)

I’ve realized some people for whatever reason feel like they have to be elite in the game or have to feel like they have to pour hours and hours into the game etc and it drives them nuts that the whole playing field is pretty damn balanced, you don’t have to play so much and less X Y Z gun/class is OP.

Now are there some things that should come back definitely but all the changes they made imo are for the better. I want to see what they do with expansions, mods etc before I totally write it off. I’m enjoying myself and is great I really don’t have to mindlessly grind anymore. Game should be pick up and play etc vs a constant fear of missing out.

Honestly I feel like this is what they wanted destiny to be vs what we had previously. But they kind of created a monster based on them making tons of changes etc and then having to totally revamp everything from scratch because of how the old engine was etc. we’ll see but I’m sure people will still be playing either way.

Me too. I dubbed it the Melting Snowflake Syndrome lol.

So now it'll be 4v0?

Probably not. Participation rewards are in as even as a loss you get tokens. I am wondering you also get crucible tokens and it counts toward call to arms? I never completed call to arms in D1 and can't remember if I got crucible xp per match (I think certain bounties did work).

Raven117

I see this misguided logic applied often, look at all the people yelling, surely indicative of a massive failure! If they don't correct x, they'll be sorry, just look at all the people complaining about it.

I've yet to be convinced, in terms of launch design without really any knowledge of where the game will go, they made the wrong call.

In this industry, if your game has a playerbase of a certain size, any decision, even those that seem inconsequential (or universally positive) are going to be resented by some percentage of that playerbase. What's more is that the number of people resenting it isn't likely to appreciably change from event to event, just which subset of the total playerbase is upset by it. Sometimes this resentment is invisible, as when decisions are made that screw over the lowest common denominator, a player who does not and will not ever have a NeoGAF account nor post on a forum of any kind about videogames. Sometimes the resentment is mild, as when the decision is made that impacts the median player but does not impact the fringes. Sometimes the resentment is at a fever pitch, as when the decision primarily impacts the vocal minority at the far high end of the spectrum.

Any of these can be "an issue" of course, And live software development is ever an unwinnable game of triage and prioritization to try and fix things that are showstoppers, improve systems for the greatest number of users with the resources available, and add new things to an existing framework, all without breaking anything in the process. Sometimes you're more successful than others.

But for these games, failure is not contingent on any number of complaints. Failure is silence. History strongly indicates that those complaining the loudest also have a high likelihood of playing for another few hundred hours regardless. Meanwhile by design the game attempts to cater to people who may very well not be 100% happy with the product, but are also less likely to ever even experience the problems being described most vocally.

I can guarantee you for example that Bungie considers the posts about people hitting 265 and feeling roadblocked by poor conveyance of the path ahead to be a higher priority issue than the much more fervent and frequent posts by regulars about having "nothing to do." This was a soft cap they attempted to smooth over during initial progression with some success, but I would wager they are unhappy with anyone feeling frustrated at this point in the journey- especially because they simply may not know all of the avenues of progression available.

It makes both good business sense and design sense to prioritize that issue and its potential reappearance going forward- even if a lot of us at the high end of the spectrum never had that issue, rocketing easily past 265 in the first few days, and couldn't care less about it now. Probably many would consider it dumb to allocate any resources to it that could be spent improving things for the most devoted players of the game instead.

But that's a perspective problem and nothing more.

There's a very simple binary at play either: either you enjoy actually playing the game or you don't.
If you do, then your vertical progression is not the source of this enjoyment but merely the way you unlock all the options. It's just how you ensure that you can do whatever you want to do.
If you don't, but would be compelled to play anyway by the introduction of "more to do" in a checklist sense, that's a problem. It's not a failing of the game that it does not encourage people who aren't having fun to continue playing anyway.

The version of the game that simultaneously pleases all types of players in equal measure does not and cannot exist. I've talked about this exact thing so many times, for many different games. I can find big-ass posts I made from five years ago about the same topic, back when I actually enjoyed the arguments themselves. Now having seen exactly how cyclical it is it's just boring.

I don't care at all how casual or hardcore you are. What matters to me is whether or not you're having fun. That's the basis of every attempt I make to help others; it's fun for me, hopefully it makes things more fun for them. If you aren't having fun there is literally nothing for you here that would make this worthwhile and never will be.

For my part, it does feel a little weird to see some of the hand-wringing, since I'm around 150 hours and I'm not "done" even in the more traditional progression/stuff to do sense:

-In collection terms, I don't have all the exotic weapons, let alone all exotic armor pieces, let alone all of the legendary weapons I want that are currently in the game, let alone all legendary armor and weapons.
-I don't have the two fully optimized armor/mod sets I want on my main character, let alone my other 2
-Only two of my characters are at 305/base level 300
-I don't have 305 versions of many of the weapons and armor pieces I use regularly
-I haven't done all the Adventures
-I haven't done the Prestige Raid (obviously), which I am interested in for the challenge itself
-I would love to go Flawless in Trials, at least once

One interpretation might be that it is my own "fault" that I have played so much and haven't accomplished all/more of these things yet. I suppose that is fair. I could have played more efficiently and focused solely on the most completion/progression possible over time. But would I have enjoyed myself more under those circumstances? Or is it more likely I would simply have more to complain about right now?

Then there's the stuff I don't have to check off a list but keeps me playing anyway. I also generally enjoy the PvP and I'm better at it than I was in D1. I find rolling with a competent team very satisfying and I've always enjoyed Iron Banner, and vastly prefer the Control gametype in D2 to its D1 incarnation, so I'm excited. I am also looking forward to running weekly newbie raids which is its own challenge and reward. Even if playing with DGAF wasn't the most compelling reason to keep playing regardless of content for me- which it is- there's legitimately still plenty for me to do even as an "almost hardcore" player.

But therein lies the rub... Destiny 2 isn't the only game I play. There's a massive new GW2 expansion I've barely been able to sink my teeth into. Cuphead is fantastic and scratches a completely different itch than anything I've played recently. Nioh, which I scrambled to beat in advance of this coming out, has multiple DLCs I haven't touched including one that came out last goddamn week. Despite over 90 hours in Hyrule I still haven't beaten Ganon in BotW, And I heard there's some game coming out this month with a plumber in it or something, I think it's a new IP.

There's no reason that someone with the free time I have available should expect any single game to indefinitely hold my interest for both hours per session and months per year. Even if it could do a better job of it, there's no way I could be convinced that it would be better for Destiny 2 to occupy literally all of my gaming time. I don't want it to. I understand that many people feel differently, and for the moment all I can do is be happy that the game's intrinsic design favors my approach.

The people who benefit from making D2 the only game they play? I play all the time with husbands, wives, parents, people with jobs with whack schedules, people in timezones that put them at all offpeak hours. People who have a dedicated night or two to do some gaming and make it count. People who want to play more and have plenty to do, but can't. All of the progression/grind aspects of D1 that are gone had a tangible effect of making players like this feel like they would get rapidly left behind. I'm not the least bit sad to see them go. For me, bringing them back would really just make the game worse.

Do these changes mean that there is less to occupy the hours of the hardcore day-in and day-out? Of course. But if you aren't having fun it doesn't matter either way. Take a moment to really ask yourself whether or not you are and you should know what to do.

Holy wall of truth Hawkman! (yes, Like batman).

I’ve realized some people for whatever reason feel like they have to be elite in the game or have to feel like they have to pour hours and hours into the game etc and it drives them nuts that the whole playing field is pretty damn balanced, you don’t have to play so much and less X Y Z gun/class is OP.

Well said.

Of course Xur has Vigilance Wing today since I got it in a Hawthorne engram last night. Of course.

It's a lot of fun to use but I don't see it dethroning Mida except for maybe on smaller maps. I'm a pulse rifle guy so I'll probably run with it for a while.

void666

Banned
The medal system from D1 IB could be brutal sometimes. I'll never forget my 27 losing streak in that first supremacy IB. Lost 27 times and all i had was 5 medals to show for it.

I'm glad it's gone.

Raven117

I know everyone is running Mida on trials. But for quickplay, its usually not a problem if you pick your lanes right. You can flank and gun them down with an Auto Rifle no problem.

ch4fx_

I just want to say that I love this game & it's community. As long as there are people to play with & people to help, I'll be here supporting whatever
"terrible"
decisions Bungie will make.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

lt519

I'd enjoy the game more in general, if modifiers were more plentiful and utilized more often. I love that type of "random" mechanics in my game... I can run rifts in D3 for hours and hours as an example.

That's exactly it. I'd love to have Prestige Patrols where the goal is clear out the entire planet but random mobs have random modifiers, or different sectors have different modifiers every time I jump in. Occasionally you get some hellish ones that present a fun challenge, and sometimes you get ones that allow you to just stomp all over everything. Disable fast travel and make the Lost Sectors within these have the best loot droops and the best challenge. Instead of trading in tokens in the EDZ why not have these chests drop the planet specific gear.

Why not have a PvE "paragon" level where you can go past 305 but it doesn't apply to the raid or PvP (doesn't matter anyway since they disabled level advantage) and then allow players to keep cranking up the difficulty (even if its just doing more/less damage or adding more/less modifiers).

There's a wonderful sandbox, but just not much reason to revisit it when the content has become trivial. It's worth discussing and not shooing off these complaints and suggestions. I'm not saying the game stinks, I'm not attacking anything, I love it, just want to see it to its full potential.

f@luS

More than a member.
Holy shit. Just tried that Calus glitch
Took down in one round ....
it will be fixed soon I guess

Kaiken

Banned
Just picked up Sweet Business. Going to try a new loadout on my Titan for Calus.

Kinetic - Sweet Business
Energy - Uriel's Gift
Power - Man of War

The old loadout:

Kinetic - Origin Story/Nameless Midnight
Energy - Coldheart
Power - Man of War

Sorely lacking in the Power department.

Deku Tree

Just picked up Sweet Business. Going to try a new loadout on my Titan for Calus.

Kinetic - Sweet Business
Energy - Uriel's Gift
Power - Man of War

The old loadout:

Kinetic - Origin Story/Nameless Midnight
Energy - Coldheart
Power - Man of War

Sorely lacking in the Power department.

Do you have a rocket launcher with cluster bombs?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The casual vs hardcore player wars is bullshit. Bungie can make Destiny a great game for every type of player and I hope they do.

Yeah, seriously. Some people are acting like Bungie has to choose one or the other, when that's clearly not the case.

Holy shit. Just tried that Calus glitch
Took down in one round ....
it will be fixed soon I guess

I joined a group lastnight at Calus and one of the guys asked if we wanted to try the glitch. I said no, glitch probably takes longer to execute than the fight itself. So we went into the fight, beat calus on first try with 2 cycles. It was awesome, fastest/best random group I've joined on Calus so far.

Top Bottom