• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

Mindlog

Prestige Nightfall was pretty easy this week. Don't know why everyone is saying it's hard.
hehe
I'm going to have to see if anybody soloed it. There's a big puzzle element to getting through each encounter as efficiently as possible. I like the challenge. My Hunter is wearing that stupid crown of light with chin raised.
Just broke down a bunch of legendary mods and then created some. I got 3 kinetic legendary mods
How many did it take. My RNG luck is way less than 1 in 3 right now. Like way less.

KaKaRi

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like Leviathan and it's my 2nd fave now after KF.

Dont like Leviathan raid that much. You work on the mechanics (which are cool) but than done and here are your tokens. next to that, what do these so called pre Calus stages mean? How are they linked to the boss? It really feels like random stuff im doing And not working towards the objective (killing the final Boss).

For this reason KF is my #1 Raid in the Destiny series.

Raiden

Banned
Tried to do NF 3-4 times with my buddy and a random i am lv 284 he is 286 and the randoms were about 295.

We only made it to the boss once.

Are we just sucking at this? I mean i feel like im kinda sucking at this.

Maybe i should look more stuff up on how to play or equip myself i dunno...

Vanadium

Tried to do NF 3-4 times with my buddy and a random i am lv 284 he is 286 and the randoms were about 295.

We cleared it without much problem. Best advice I can offer:

1. Take in an Arc rocket launcher for the knights and kill them quickly.
2. Use supers and rockets as soon as you have them.
3. Kill everything. Each room is basically gated anyway.
4. Make sure to get as many, if not all, the Anomalies possible.
5. As the boss's health drops below half, if you're struggling to avoid the boss, you can just hide from the void streams behind the stair divider on the far right of the area.

Foxxsoxx

Level matters for sure, you want to be as close to 300 as possible obviously. Besides that it's just speed running everything you can and ignoring anything you can. Bring rockets and such to kill everything ASAP. They aren't supposed to be easy that's for sure. Love the challenge they bring.

Wait, are you talking about the regular NF? I was talking about prestige my bad.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Tried the Nightfall twice with some very competent Gaffers and I just have to say...

Fuck that noise. I’m just going to skip Nightfalls when they’re absurd like this one... there’s really no point anymore — it’s literally to the point where it’s not fun, at all. And the rewards aren’t good enough to justify the effort, is really the main point. Maybe if there were Nightfall exclusive exotics or Legendaries, I may consider it.

But really, who play tests and balances these things? Last weeks Nightfall may have been a tad too easy, but at least I had fun playing it.

Endo Punk

Got up to power level 293 overall and now getting 283 engrams and drops. If I dip my overall level down a bit for other weapons, will I still get 283 drops or will they go back down to 281?

Curious about this as well, I wanna play with different Gear and weapons but not have it effect the engram drops. Can anyone answer?

daedalius

Wrath of the Machine = Vault of Glass > Leviathan > Crota >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kings Fall

I think I preferred most other raids to leviathan at this point. Calus seems like the only high point in leviathan, and the other "encounters" (NOT bosses) are pretty lackluster imo.

Gauntlet is my absolute least favorite. Jumping through hoops isn't what guardians should be doing. Baths is quick and forgettable, whoever thought purple bells would be a boss? Garden is interesting but marred with bugs and weird detection issues. Doing the castellum 4 times isn't my idea of a good time.

I kinda feel like their direction with raids is flawed, id rather have a bigger, longer, more epic strike with a few more mechanics than these plodding puzzle bosses/encounters; which I feel started with kingsfall (but notably absent in WoTM)

I'd like to want to run the raid again, rather than feel "well at least that's out of the way now"

I look forward to their next raid, hopefully less leviathan/kingsfall and more VoG/WoTM.

raindoc

290something Titan and I‘d love to finally tackle the Raid. Tomorrow’s my birthday, the gf’s asleep, I don’t have to work and I‘ve got a sixpack of cans containing too sugary liquids to keep me wake - the motivation is high. Does anyone have a free slot in his group?

Quoting for a new day.

Can I interest you in a proto-newbie-raid tomorrow night EST?

That sounds great, but around what time will you start? Because I live six hours in the future.

Sayad

5. As the boss's health drops below half, if you're struggling to avoid the boss, you can just hide from the void streams behind the stair divider on the far right of the area.
Think it's better to just keep running across the map until you recover/regroup, the boss tracking and most the ads that spawn there have a hard time dealing with moving target.

GlamFM

Banned
Things I don´t like about the new Iron Banner:

-Power Level does not matter
-No post match rewards
-Token system
-Getting tokens for losing
-Just armor, no guns(?)

Overall I´m really disappointed.

Post match rewards are way more exciting than turning in tokens - especially because you can keep playing without having to go to a vendor to see what you got.

I also feel like it´s again too rewarding. It took me 3 Iron Banners to complete my Armor set in D1. When I finally got it I FELT AMAZING! By the looks of it you can get your full set pretty quickly this time around, because the entire set can drop.

I want them to stop giving out loot like candy. "The journey is the reward".

And where are the guns?

The Loot really lets the Raid down. The high of finally working together and beating Calus is great, a real rush and something uniquely Destiny.

Too bad the chest doesn't provide much incentive. You'd think a big golden challenge would provide better and more unique weapons, but they're pretty dry and insubstantial.

Just got the raid sword (from the Clan Engram no less) which is undoubtly a cool model but simply a combination of existing perks. It adds to the feeling the current D2 is more a holding pattern until more exciting and unique gear in future additions. Feels like they held back on the raid gear.

Foxxsoxx

-No post match rewards
-Token system
-Just armor, no guns(?)

Post match rewards are way more exciting than turning in tokens - especially because you can keep playing without having to go to a vendor to see what you got.

I also feel like it´s again too rewarding. It took me 3 Iron Banners to complete my Armor set in D1. When I finally got it I FELT AMAZING! By the looks of it you can get your full set pretty quickly this time around, because the entire set can drop.

And where are the guns?

Yeah they're really doubling down on the whole showering with loot thing. It's great short term, but long term? Unless they overhaul the systems they have the games playerbase is going to drop like a rock, until the expansions hit. Maybe they're okay with that though.

Sayad

-No post match rewards
-Token system
-Just armor, no guns(?)

And where are the guns?
I see where you're coming from, but honestly, being able to keep up while playing 4 to 6 hours a week is my favorite improvement over D1.

Floody

Damn, I kinda love those Iron Banner armour sets. Will definitely be way more active trying to get each set compared to the Faction ones, which I stopped caring about once I get a bunch of shaders.

Seemingly no guns is disappointing though.

Fuck it being only control though, I hate that mode so much in D2.

sinkfla87

Shame about Iron Banner. I loved it in D1, don't care to really put time in it with these changes. And what this I'm hearing about no IB weapons?!

bosseye

I see where you're coming from, but honestly, being able to keep up while playing 4 to 6 hours a week is my favorite improvement over D1.

Same. D1 always filled me with that nagging sensation that if I'm not playing I'm falling behind which meant I played it a lot to the detriment of other stuff just to try and stay relevant.

In D2, my fireteam and I, all with busy lives, can all maintain a similar level with a few hours a week gametime leaving time for other stuff and other games.

GlamFM

Banned

Same. D1 always filled me with that nagging sensation that if I'm not playing I'm falling behind which meant I played it a lot to the detriment of other stuff just to try and stay relevant.

In D2, my fireteam and I, all with busy lives, can all maintain a similar level with a few hours a week gametime leaving time for other stuff and other games.

I have no problem with reaching high light pretty quickly so people who have less time don´t fall behind, but that does not mean that all gear should be attainable with minimal time investment.

Make me work for it - increases the perceived value.

Sayad

I have no problem with reaching high light pretty quickly so people who have less time don´t fall behind, but that does not mean that all gear should be attainable with minimal time investment.

Make me work for it - increases the perceived value.
Don't think it's that bad, I have two level ~300 characters(same class so it's not that much of a time investment) and still no Better Devils even though I've been doing every week's crucible milestone with both since launch!

GlamFM

Banned
On a more positive note - I really like the look of my Iron Man Titan.

Good stats, too.

Mobility 2
Resilience 6
Recovery 7

9Ud5aNf.jpg

Silav101

Can I interest you in a proto-newbie-raid tomorrow night EST?

It isn't possible to solo the raid; it also doesn't suck :p

Hawkian, if you still need another noobie, I'm completely up for it, I've only ever seen the dogs section. What time do you expect this proto-newbie-raid to occur? I hope I can make it, seeing the time difference.

I think it's fine to keep it casual like it is if there was also something for more hardcore players to earn as well.

As a band aid fix for now I think it's really simple to keep people playing. Something as simple as selling an exotic for 500 shards. Give a good legendary at the 100 crucible win mark. Just as examples.

As an aside, there soooo better be weapons to earn in IB. If not I'm just going to point it out as yet another example of purposely content starving the base game.

-No post match rewards
-Token system
-Just armor, no guns(?)

Agreed on the others but I don't see the above being too different from getting the medallions for losing. I know you needed a win to cash them in but you still ended up with gains from losses as you'd inevitably get on a team that could carry even if you sucked.

This trend toward tokens > loot at the end of an activity needs to stop though. They got the chest-bursting-full-of-loot thing from Diablo nailed with strikes and then you pick them up and it's just 12 tokens and some blues. Diablo you're seeing the loot shower and then have the chance of an immediate reward.

There's definite psychology at work with separating the reward from the activity, that I've seen referenced in some article or video recently on – I think – microtransactions and that definitely seems to be the methodology they have with D2.

A shame because it's probably my largest criticism of the game; I much prefer getting the reward from the activity directly.

GlamFM

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;251117627 said:
Agreed on the others but I don't see the above being too different from getting the medallions for losing. I know you needed a win to cash them in but you still ended up with gains from losses as you'd inevitably get on a team that could carry even if you sucked.

This trend toward tokens > loot at the end of an activity needs to stop though. They got the chest-bursting-full-of-loot thing from Diablo nailed with strikes and then you pick them up and it's just 12 tokens and some blues. Diablo you're seeing the loot shower and then have the chance of an immediate reward.

There's definite psychology at work with separating the reward from the activity, that I've seen referenced in some article or video recently on – I think – microtransactions and that definitely seems to be the methodology they have with D2.

A shame because it's probably my largest criticism of the game; I much prefer getting the reward from the activity directly.

Yep. As I always say, search for "Gjallarhorn reaction" on youtube to see what´s missing in D2 right now.

xuchu

No iron banner weapons...and iron banner is just control crucible with different tokens. What is this?!

That immediate reward vs tokens for a reward psychology sounds pretty interesting.

Without putting any thought into it, I'm baffled why they'd do tokens to go and purchase something as opposed to the excitement of getting the immediate reward.

_Legacy_

I don't think this NF was bad at all, it was challenging at times but certainly doable. I think people were spoiled from the GG EZ mode of the NF last week.

All you need is rocket launchers and use supers to clear hordes, my group got to the boss with 10 minutes from shooting the hidden anomalies. We were all 290+ but I think 280's can do it as well. Just use rocket launchers on the ogres and wizards whenever you have ammo.

Haven't tried the prestige yet.

GlamFM

Banned
That immediate reward vs tokens for a reward psychology sounds pretty interesting.

Without putting any thought into it, I'm baffled why they'd do tokens to go and purchase something as opposed to the excitement of getting the immediate reward.

If I put on my tinfoil hat I´d say that they are at least open to the idea of selling tokens (for real money) at some point and maybe try to ease us into the concept of buying stuff in game with an in game currency.

deadduck

Almost no point playing IB if theres no new guns.

The armour looks bad and I don't need more armour to waste glimmer on.

How do I discord?

Vigilance Wing, pulse rifle.

Hunter - Foetracer
Titan - Skullfort
Warlock - Nezarec's Sin

Hunters get shafted again. Just delete the class at this point bungle.
They got the shaft in D2 for sure but if you like PVP foe tracer is great in my book. It's a really noobish book mind you, but it's mine. That plus Mida probably got me 75 percent of my kills. It wasn't due to skill I know that much.

anothertech

Uhh thats a good point. I'm going to be upset if there's no weps. I figured they just weren't showing them yet. And they better not be tree branches either.

Obviously it's not happening but it would be awesome if the hunter got a bow & arrow and the others got a Samurai sword.
Bow and arrow, crossbow, and magic wand.

They got the shaft in D2 for sure but if you like PVP foe tracer is great in my book. It's a really noobish book mind you, but it's mine. That plus Mida probably got me 75 percent of my kills. It wasn't due to skill I know that much.

Point was that Xur already sold Foetracer 2 weeks ago.

Also I have like a million of them.

Top Bottom