• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Info Summary Thread: Trailers, Videos, Details, Screens, More

Kyoufu

What about changes in design Philosophy - has anything been mentioned on that front? I don't want to shit up this thread, but I'd be a lot more interested in this game (particularly as a sequel), if Bungie properly explained their vision for Destiny 2 and how it differs from the first, rather than just talking meta changes.

Skimming a few vids and articles, this seems to just be a polished version of the first's formula, rather than adding new hooks.

This follows the formula of the first game, but bigger and better so if you don't like what they were going for with Destiny then this probably won't be the game for you.

This follows the formula of the first game, but bigger and better so if you don't like what they were going for with Destiny then this probably won't be the game for you.

The better I can understand - polish, quality of life improvements, etc. - but bigger in what way? Just more areas, enemies, weapons? Or broader areas and sequences, with meatier quests and narrative, and more ways to approach content?

Kyoufu

The better I can understand - polish, quality of life improvements, etc. - but bigger in what way? Just more areas, enemies, weapons? Or broader areas and sequences, with meatier quests and narrative, and more ways to approach content?

Bigger areas with more things to do in said areas, like meeting NPCs who give you quests that delve into the narrative and story of the areas/worlds you're in, separate from the actual story campaign itself. The goal was to make the worlds feel more alive. The first game was really bad at that.

But still, at its core it's still Destiny.

Welp, I watched all the videos and pretty much came away with this...

It's warlock season. Warlock master race all day. And yeah, that's it. I have a feeling that the warlock will probably be nerfed in the future which will be some bullshit but it looks like I'm staying warlock. It was my fave in D1 and its even better in D2. Bungie please please don't nerf them.

The titan and hunter looked boring. Hunter looks especially boring without the cloak ability, unless that's in a different subclass.

Bigger areas with more things to do in said areas, like meeting NPCs who give you quests that delve into the narrative and story of the areas/worlds you're in, separate from the actual story campaign itself. The goal was to make the worlds feel more alive. The first game was really bad at that.

But still, at its core it's still Destiny.

Perfect. That's what I want, and something I can get excited about. Cheers fam x

Blunoise

It's warlock season. Warlock master race all day. And yeah, that's it. I have a feeling that the warlock will probably be nerfed in the future which will be some bullshit but it looks like I'm staying warlock. It was my fave in D1 and its even better in D2. Bungie please please don't nerf them.

The titan and hunter looked boring. Hunter looks especially boring without the cloak ability, unless that's in a different subclass.

and not to mention we got the best story planet to explore

The Arcstrider is replacing the Bladedancer subclass which was the cloaking based subclass. I don't think we've seen the entirety of what that new subclass will offer in terms invisibility (if any but I'd garner it does) and whatnot. The Nightstalker subclass also allowed invisibility but we've also yet to see how they tweaked it which leads me to my next point which is the base class abilities for both the Titan and Warlock seem to be potentially team oriented with the Barricade (Titan) and Empowerment (Warlock) while the Hunter's Dodge base ability seems to be simply for the player rather than the team (unless players in the vincinity also reap the benefits of reload/melee energy).

With the importance of the Hunter's Nightstalker subclass in Raids in general I'm keen to find out what the tweaks are for that setup.

My hope is that all subclasses for each class are viable/balanced setups for all game modes which I think is a seemingly underlying theme in what Bungie is attempting to do with character building/makeup.

With that, I think the Gunslinger class looks fun especially now with the change to the weapon setup which essentially allows for two primary slotted weapons as I always felt weird playing the Gunslinger subclass without using a Hand Cannon for the most part, now you can while also having a Scout or Assault Rifle just a click away.

Ryuuga

Banned
DATLe8jUwAEiTKl.jpg

Let the record show that this is and will be the only defining evidence of class superiority. All discussions regarding such matter can come to a close.

KJRS_1993

Let the record show that this is and will be the only defining evidence of class superiority. All discussions regarding such matter can come to a close.

Nickelback are also popular musicians - definitely doesn't make them the most superior.

Hunters are Destiny's version of Nickelback.

Toli08

The only thing I hope they bring back from Destiny 1 is my nightstalker. That's it just give me my bow shooting hunter. Man so pumped for this game.

I also hope they have a lot of secret exotic quests like the Black Spindle quest. Those types of quests I found the most intruiging and challanging to do.

I'm excited to see what the treasure maps will be. It just sounds like if done right could be so much fun to solve with the crew.

duhmetree

Warlocks look extremely OP. They now have a roaming Sunbreaker type super that can throw swords, they can dodge mid-air like twilight garrison and their ability gives them a Defender Titan buff,

Titan looks fine. Hunter seems boring, especially gunslinger.

jviggy43

Warlock was the only class I didn't play in destiny but now yeah, I dont see much of a reason to play anything else. Those abilities are going to be huge.

exYle

It's pretty obvious to me that energy weapons will be balanced around them being elemental and stronger against supers, without the sandbox forcing anti-super weapons to be either sniper rifles or shotguns. Gonna assume that the trade off to switching to your energy weapon when you hear a super go off would be that you now have a smaller clip, etc.

We can see from the gameplay this is not true. Energy weapons and kinetic weapons are functionally the exact same, with equivalent magazine sizes, other than there may not be kinetic SMGs or sidearms. There's no trade-off to switching to your energy weapon, it's just a coloured primary.

Warlocks look extremely OP. They now have a roaming Sunbreaker type super that can throw swords, they can dodge mid-air like twilight garrison and their ability gives them a Defender Titan buff,

Titan looks fine. Hunter seems boring, especially gunslinger.
My sentiment too.
I will chose Warlock first, Titan 2nd, Hunter last.

I do recognize that Hunters will still dominate PvP though. Especially with the removal of Titan skating

Seriously a whole week off for this game? I could understand one day but come on a week? That's just stupid esecpially the fact that the raid won't even be out for launch.

How about you let him do what ever the fuck he wants to do as a working adult.

I second this lol.

I will say though, revamped Gunslinger did look appealing with that 6-shot golden gun...

until the super drained in about three seconds. Jesus.

I'd rather keep the 3-shot version with ample time to actually find enemies and shoot them.

psyfi

Banned
I'm pretty bummed that the hunter's dodge ability looks so useless. The instant reload helps, but it's still nothing in comparison to the warlock AOE buff and titan barrier. I also really hate the animation on the dodges.

Defuser

I will say though, revamped Gunslinger did look appealing with that 6-shot golden gun...

I'd rather keep the 3-shot version with ample time to actually find enemies and shoot them.
Imo its most likely suited for when you want put some dmg into a boss or a yellow health enemy. Think of it as the celestial nighthawk spread over 6 shots. There will be uses for it.

I'm pretty bummed that the hunter's dodge ability looks so useless. The instant reload helps, but it's still nothing in comparison to the warlock AOE buff and titan barrier. I also really hate the animation on the dodges.
Shapestep is a powerful ability in PvP, alot of nightstalker vets in D1 abuses it because it's good.

Horp

destiny-2_2017_05-18-duli7.jpg

This is one -odd- PBR renderer, or they are using phong-textures in their PBR-renderer.
The concrete and some of the cloth look somewhat physically correct, but then we have things such as the weapon and the tree. Looks straight up Phong.

I honestly felt that the time it lasted in D1 was too short.

DeaDPo0L84

So I decided to try and get the plat for vanilla destiny. Im missing a couple tough ones, nobody die during a raid, and assist in capturing points in salvage which apparently isnt even possible cause the game mode is gone 😡

duhmetree

The animation changes depending on what your ability does.

The one that reloads looks like a spin. The one that buffs melee energy looks like the OG shadestep.

duhmetree

So each class has a new subclass while removing an old one right? Only three per class? RIP Bladedancer

From the looks of it, Strider is technically an improved bladedancer... Bladedancer had a glaring 'short stop' problem in PvP... giving them a bigger object to yield hopefully helps this issue.

Bold One

Anyone know if Bungie has released any of the music?

I must have the music playing during the Cabal attack on the tower cg.

Titans get so little respect!!! *shakes fist*

We carried y'all Warlocks and Hunters through raids. Like 90% of raiders would've not gotten through one without a defender titan or two!

I'm actually worried about Hunters for pve/raid. Hopefully the re-done nightstalker is really good otherwise unless they have like celestial nighthawk for golden gun. Hunters don't bring much to the party.

I'm actually worried about Hunters for pve/raid. Hopefully the re-done nightstalker is really good otherwise unless they have like celestial nighthawk for golden gun. Hunters don't bring much to the party.

DPS. And Hunter mains are forced to learn better survival habits since they don't have a built in respawn or emergency relief bubble.

Kyoufu

Having 6 shots on Golden Gun now is basically like having a built-in Nighthawk. Kinda.

duhmetree

They could be the DPS. The reload with shadestep will help. 6 rapid fire GG shots...

Titans pop their wall...

Warlocks pop their buff...

Two Words

It would be nice if they made Hunter into a full on DPS class. Something like having a class ability to drain health their own health to temporarily increase damage.

nOoblet16

Until Nightstalker Hunter always felt like a useless PvE class that did not bring anything to team and did not have any utility for their own self. Except for the invisibility whenever someone wanted to cheese some stuff. On the other hand Hunters were God damn amazing in PvP, until the bladedancer nerf but even after that their class was still excellent for PvP for a skilled player. Also post TTK they also started to get PvE utility outside of Nightstalker with the Nighthawks.

I have considerably more playtime as a Hunter so I really love everything about the class but Bubble bro was always amazing. Sunstinker can go fuck itself along with other locks though.

DrBo42

Into the idea of being a Titan Captain America but they really need to show how this game is improved from the first in terms of encounters, play spaces and activities. Having a competent campaign is great but always short lived.

Top Bottom