• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think they said it comes out one year after consoles

Oh wow, was it that long?

That makes me feel better as someone who desperately wants to play on PC but only has a ps4 currently. I know that's a bit selfish, but I would have felt like I had a somewhat lesser experience at 30fps and no KB&M.

Of course, if I manage to build a PC sooner my perception might change...

Found by Everyday Math:

Bungie's World Director On 'Destiny 2' Patrols, Adventures, and Dungeons

Before, you had Patrols to do – you could do some encounters and public events, but you didn't know where the public events were going to happen. You didn't know when they were going to happen. In order to make all that feel better, we wanted to give you a map that actually meant something, that you could use to find stuff. We've done that.

In addition to patrols, we've added Adventures, which I talked about onstage. I don't think I did them enough justice, though. They're 10-to-15-minute-long missions with narrative and dialogue and they take you to new places and they do new things – new mechanics.

Then there's Lost Sectors, which are like dungeons where, occasionally, as you're wandering around the world, you see a symbol etched on some wall and you know you're close to an entrance of some kind. Then you get to go – no matter what activity you're on – you can just go into this Lost Sector and go find a boss, kill it, and get some sweet treasure.

Zakalwe

Banned

See, this is what I meant when I say "let's wait to hear about all the new stuff they listed", because honestly this sounds pretty damn good

Surely you can all see how content like this could make the game feel like a fully justified sequel?

I mean, stuff like this

What's your favorite of the new worlds in Destiny 2?
I like Nessus the best. You're not going to get to it until later in the campaign, but it's probably my favorite. European Dead Zone is really good. It has more to do. It's the biggest by far. It's got lots of Lost Sectors, lots of dungeons, lots of just hidden little nooks and things to find. Nessus is going to take you into places a lot more – like what you were talking about with the Vault of Glass. They're all very different.

sounds very promising.

svbarnard

Banned
I hate that voice acting so so so much. Plus the dialogue itself is just terrible. And then there's the annoying sound effects that play before and after he talks. I haaaaate it. Makes replaying strikes in Destiny significantly less fun for me. I know that sounds stupid, but he's that annoying.

I disagree I like it a lot to be honest so you need to quite being a big baby

Yeah totally made up...I doubt very much indeed the delay would be that long, they may as well not bother.

An awful lot of people enjoy finding and discovering new things in the game - you can avoid spoilers for a few days if you try hard...but a year..no way!

For PC release.... mostly they've just said "sometime after consoles" or "as soon as we can but not the same day as consoles." There's been a few comments from people at the event that stated they heard "around Christmas time."

But as far as I know, there's been no direct quote from anyone of high standing (Luke, Mark, DeeJ, Urk, etc...) at Bungie giving a direct time frame.

See, this is what I meant when I say "let's wait to hear about all the new stuff they listed", because honestly this sounds pretty damn good

Surely you can all see how content like this could make the game feel like a fully justified sequel?

The thing for me is how replayable these things are, and then the release cadence after launch.

Modifiers, altered spawns, random enemy sets, etc are almost as important as raw content, especially in a franchise that so far has relied on repeating the same chunks of content over and over again.

atr0cious

I feel like people are forgetting Guild Wars exists. Destiny is pretty much a GW clone with guns. GW was advanced by expansion packs three times, each with bigger additions then the last, with a new story per class as they were going for being a true story despite being an MMO-like. When Guild wars 2 came out, they took what was great and worked that into a full MMO. Yes, you could argue the PVP took a hit depending on who you talk to, but they've still preserved the spirit of the game. I think many were going Destiny would be similar, especially with how they're talking of severing from the original.

I feel like people are forgetting Guild Wars exists. Destiny is pretty much a GW clone with guns. GW was advanced by expansion packs three times, each with bigger additions then the last, with a new story per class as they were going for being a true story despite being an MMO-like. When Guild wars 2 came out, they took what was great and worked that into a full MMO. Yes, you could argue the PVP took a hit depending on who you talk to, but they've still preserved the spirit of the game. I think many were going Destiny would be similar, especially with how they're talking of severing from the original.

There was 10 years between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. They absolutely needed to completely revamp everything to have a chance in the MMO space in 2015.

atr0cious

There was 10 years between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. They absolutely needed to completely revamp everything to have a chance in the MMO space in 2015.
Yes, like I said, they put out big expansions, leading up to that. I've seen posts in this thread insinuating that a destiny 2 couldn't have been overhauled to do that, because of the typr of game Destiny is, when GW is virtually the same and arguably had more work to do because it was narrative based as well as the complete rebalance of all of the unique classes and second classes. But the realities of Bungie's contract are really what's stopping it from happening. They either get a "sequel" out or not.

Yes, like I said, they put out big expansions, leading up to that. I've seen posts in this thread insinuating that a destiny 2 couldn't have been overhauled to do that, because of the typr of game Destiny is, when GW is virtually the same and arguably had more work to do because it was narrative based as well as the complete rebalance of all of the unique classes and second classes. But the realities of Bungie's contract are really what's stopping it from happening. They either get a "sequel" out or not.

GW is not at all virtually the same game. The systems are intrinsically different. Having played GW, I honestly don't see the parallels and I have never heard anyone actually mention GW in comparison to Destiny at all before. Not a single time.

Outside of both of them being essentially MMO-lite, they're completely different games. So could you, perhaps, expand on what it is that makes you think they're essentially the same game?

atr0cious

GW is not at all virtually the same game. The systems are intrinsically different. Having played GW, I honestly don't see the parallels and I have never heard anyone actually mention GW in comparison to Destiny at all before. Not a single time.

Outside of both of them being essentially MMO-lite, they're completely different games. So could you, perhaps, expand on what it is that makes you think they're essentially the same game?
They're both about going to instances after hanging out in cosmetic lobbies or towns. Even narratively they're similar, where you're a part of a last stand against invaders, the char or moon wizards, and you hop from "last" out post to the next. You could take that character to the arena or make a character just for the arena and fight in multiple types of battles. Your progression was based on armor and skills you unlocked by playing the different pve modes. They're very very similar games, with Destiny being shallower inherently, since there's very different standards between a fantasy story game and a shooter one.

psyfi

Banned
I really hope Lost Sectors are as cool as the sound. I was really disappointed at the total lack of exploration in Destiny 1. All that world, and they just have us zip from waypoint to waypoint with no incentive to explore.

They're both about going to instances after hanging out in cosmetic lobbies or towns. Even narratively they're similar, where you're a part of a last stand against invaders, the char or moon wizards, and you hop from "last" out post to the next. You could take that character to the arena or make a character just for the arena and fight in multiple types of battles. Your progression was based on armor and skills you unlocked by playing the different pve modes. They're very very similar games, with Destiny being shallower inherently, since there's very different standards between a fantasy story game and a shooter one.

So then outside of being Hub based, all the comparisons you're making are narrative/thematic. Outside of that they have different systems, engines, entirely different backend, and a different monetization scheme until the more recent introduction of cosmetic RMT into Destiny.

I'm not seeing how the things you point out as being similar effectively make it possible for Bungie to create more content. Especially given that it's very commonly known, thanks to an article from Jason at Kotaku that the Destiny engine was extremely inflexible (having to load a map literally overnight to edit even something as small as adjusting a small piece of geometry and taking just as long to render the changes back into the game). Bungie had to overhaul a lot of the systems and tools in making this sequel. I suspect it took quite a bit of time to do this as it took years to build the engine for the first game. And they allegedly had pretty strict time limits on which to work on this stuff to as they have contractual obligations to deliver per the Activision deal.

So it's not so simple as to say "Well X Developer did this so Bungie should have been able to as well." There's way too many differing factors for such a comparison to be viable.

I'm tentatively excited for more Destiny, but I'm not sure about the huge changes to the guns. The primary, special, heavy thing is a fundamental aspect of Destiny and encouraged you to make load-outs based on engagement distance (ie scout in primary for long range+shotty for close+rocket for crowds). On top of that, you had elemental considerations because (theoretically) you could cover each of the three elemental damage types and "be ready for anything". Having one primary slot dedicated to just kinetic weapons seems like you're losing a big part of what made the game interesting.

Also, making fusions, snipers, and shottys reliant on heavy weapon ammo seems odd in a game where those special weapons were what made it unique.

As a side note, are swords just gone now? I've seen no mention of them just far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom