• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

Trickster

If you love Destiny 2 so far, shouldn't you just be happy that it's not getting perfect scores? Just gives Bungie more incentive to try even harder in the future.

Jimmy_liv

Surely you know all the mechanics within 3/5 hours... So surely levels 1-20 literally are not the tutorial.

No, you absolutely have no idea what the mechanics of the game are if you have only played 3-5 hours. That's my point exactly.

And it's bile like that which is what I refer to when people are saying "it's shit" when you have played next to none of it.

SomTervo

No, you absolutely have no idea what the mechanics of the game are if you have only played 3-5 hours. That's my point exactly.

And it's bile like that which is what I refer to when people are saying "it's shit" when you have played next to none of it.

"bile"? Yeesh. You mean there are more mechanics than moving, shooting (incl using powers) and driving vehicles? I mean, those are literally the mechanics. And surely you know those within a few hours? Ie they're tutorialed within a few hours. The design and content will continue, but new mechanics?

I understand the Raids are the game's BEST content and they're essentially end game, but best content with best design != "new mechanics".

And gating the best content to 20-30+ hours in does not mean everything before hand is a tutorial.

PS if there genuinely are new mechanics and Destiny 2 mixes stuff up a lot in the end game then I'm happy to be wrong. I would be very surprised though.

jviggy43

"Destiny 1.5" is a pejorative - we all know that
dwgirIQ.png

the term has been thrown around since the reveal to discredit the notion that D2 is a proper sequel.
I mean it's both but plenty of very serious game journalists have referred to it as such. The weird thing is emwhen the reveal came out and everyone was saying they expected more, fans immediately jumped up and claimed it shouldn't change anything it should just give you more of the same, but then got mad when everyone started calling it destiny 1.5.

It is a very by the numbers sequel. I'm loving my time with it but I don't see the issue with calling it that.

DxD

Banned
This late PC release is BS.

I really hope Ys will hold me off for another month =/.
Don't really want to double dip.

Jimmy_liv

"bile"? Yeesh. You mean there are more mechanics than moving, shooting (incl using powers) and driving vehicles? I mean, those are literally the mechanics. And surely you know those within a few hours? Ie they're tutorialed within a few hours. The design and content will continue, but new mechanics?

I understand the Raids are the game's BEST content and they're essentially end game, but best content with best design != "new mechanics".

And gating the best content to 20-30+ hours in does not mean everything before hand is a tutorial.

PS if there genuinely are new mechanics and Destiny 2 mixes stuff up a lot in the end game then I'm happy to be wrong. I would be very surprised though.

No, youre wrong.

You'll have dealt with the timing of the swords when taking down crota.
You'll have even made your own energy sword.
You'll k ow all about timing your Hunters invisiblity when defusing the bombs in the prison of elders and the final fight with Skolas.
Or how about the platforming sections on the disappearing ships during the kings fall.
Manoeuvring your way through the dark and lighting the lamps in Croatas end.

Just a few of the different mechanics which aren't shooting but after a few hours you'll know nothing about any of them or any of the others.

So no, the campaign is there as a means to unlock the areas. It's once you have done that and start exploring the world that the turotial ends.

SomTervo

No, youre wrong.

You'll have dealt with the timing of the swords when taking down crota.
You'll have even made your own energy sword.
You'll k ow all about timing your Hunters invisiblity when defusing the bombs in the prison of elders and the final fight with Skolas.
Or how about the platforming sections on the disappearing ships during the kings fall.
Manoeuvring your way through the dark and lighting the lamps in Croatas end.

Just a few of the different mechanics which aren't shooting but after a few hours you'll know nothing about any of them or any of the others.

So no, the campaign is there as a means to unlock the areas. It's once you have done that and start exploring the world that the turotial ends.

Um. Unfortunately none of those things are new mechanics. Not beyond moving, shooting, driving, and i guess pressing in game buttons. Those core mechanics are established within the first hours of play.

I do appreciate that the Raid/endgame content is the BEST content - you're talking about platforming and encounter design - but that begs the question... Why not make the entire game like that and cut out the grinding and "20+ hour tutorial" you keep harping on about?

Also lol:

I didn't?
DJV7kyrVYAAs5Ou

Jimmy_liv

Um. Unfortunately none of those things are new mechanics. Not beyond moving, shooting, driving, and i guess pressing in game buttons. Those core mechanics are established within the first hours of play.

I do appreciate that the Raid/endgame content is the BEST content - you're talking about platforming and encounter design - but that begs the question... Why not make the entire game like that and cut out the grinding and "20+ hour tutorial" you keep harping on about?

Also lol:

Hahaha! Because using a sword and crafting is the same as shooting.
And platforming that's the same too.

Hahaha!

Free copy of pacman in the post for you.. I mean, after all it's exactly the same as battlefield 1 because it's just moving and pressing buttons!

Liamc723

Also lol:

Haha wow, you're serious?

You have clearly never done a Destiny raid. There's mechanics contained within them you never see in any other activity.

Come back when you know what you're talking about.

"Pressing in-game buttons" Yeah let's condense any mechanic in any game ever into this stupid statement.

Juan

Hahaha!

Free copy of pacman in the post for you.. I mean, after all it's exactly the same as battlefield 1 because it's just moving and pressing buttons!

Platforming isn't a mechanic, it's level design. Jumping is the mechanic.

You need to differentiate the verb, the action and how both are combined.

I would suggest you to read The Art of computer game design by Chris Crawford if you're curious: https://www.amazon.fr/Computer-Game-Design-Chris-Crawford/dp/0881341177

This makes your "it's just new cutscenes and D1 was better" comment even more bizarre, not less.
I did make that comment before the final story segments, which honestly was a massive improvement.
That felt like some decent Halo level stuff I expected from Bungie.

So yes the story a huge improvement.

My issue is that if you were already burned from 1(be it initial disappointment, just getting tired of it, etc) it does feel like a lot of "more of the same"

However 2 feels more like its just trying to get you to the endgame vs 1 which really felt interesting and that it was going to go somewhere(especially from Bungie) so you were into it ready for stuff to kick off.
(which sadly didn't happen in 1's story)

Juan

Hahahahaha!
Wahoo... I think I got a live one here!!!!

Wahoo hahahaha

If you think platforming is a mechanic, then you are misunderstanding the use of platforming and you may confound it with a genre of game.

And if you're still laughing, then you may not be mature enough to take some step back and admit you may have make a mistake. :)

ShdwDrake

Banned
I think the guy thats arguing for Warframe is talking like gameplay mechanics that you do?

I'm loving D2 but them giving you interesting things to do with the game mechanics isnt the same as having alot of game mechanics. D2 is very simple compared to WF.

BuddDwyer

Neo Member
I love the game, but at the same time I feel like they just hand out a lot of stuff too fast. Fully upgrading all 3 subclasses as Titan took me around 20 hours which is too fast for my liking. Also, it felt almost too easy to get the Mida Multi Tool scout rifle.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Any scored review that drops before the raid kind of feels off to me: the Raid (if it's good) can easily bring the score up a full 10% I reckon (not to mention Trials/FactionRally/etc).

Gxgear

Almost done with my first class playthrough; still feels like Destiny in all its glory/warts, for better or worse.

SomTervo

Haha wow, you're serious?

You have clearly never done a Destiny raid. There's mechanics contained within them you never see in any other activity.

Come back when you know what you're talking about.

"Pressing in-game buttons" Yeah let's condense any mechanic in any game ever into this stupid statement.

I'd like to but the grind at vanilla Destiny turned me off ever trying to do so. I know it's different now, but I'm not a fan of grind based progression anyway and it doesn't sound like D2 changes that much.

And that person's comment didn't make it clear these were done through actual unique actions. 3/4s of their examples were based around moving or using combat abilities. Timing invisibility, platforming, moving in darkness, etc. Like there's a crafting menu and shit?

Hahaha!

Uh no you didn't quite make it clear how unique those actions were. Especially crafting - that has a menu and customisability?

i used a sword in Destiny a couple of times and it seemed like a tiny throwaway part of the experience, fair enough if it's used better in raids. That's absolutely another mechanic but it never struck me as important. Everything else you mentioned seemed to be movement mechanics or timing combat powers?

Anyway, besides all this is the point that having 10-20+ hours of mundane gameplay, a "tutorial", before you get to the good stuff, seems awful.

KC Denton

Where in my post did I say innovation equals polish?

You seem to disqualify Warframe as a suggestion via this quote:
lol I love warframe but not even close. Nothing beats destiny raids. Warframe excels at ability and player variety as well as movement. I'd take destiny on all other fronts especially polish.
Also this post:
Good game but nowhere near as fun and polished as destiny

Is the iron expansion from the first game worth jumping into at this point? I got the collection for free a while back and didn't bother to jump in after doing everything I wanted with taken king.

If you already own the collection, I think running through the story would be worth it. You don't need it for D2, but it's a fun lot of missions to go through(and it wouldn't take you long).

Jimmy_liv

Anyway, besides all this is the point that having 10-20+ hours of mundane gameplay, a "tutorial", before you get to the good stuff, seems awful.

And in that I can't debate. You can only blame bungee because so many people had the same perception and switched off.

As for crafting your energy sword - you could make three different types. It took me many hours to do this and was a decent feeling g of achievement once I'd done it.

It's about the same progression format as an MMO, where you grind up until the late game and most of the interesting stuff is piled up there. I think people are getting you confused with all the talk of crafting and mechanics. The game is still not an RPG. It's just a shooter with RPG elements.

Strakt

I mean.. glad they didn't go all out and change every single aspect of the game. There was a reason Destiny 1 had 30 million registered players.. no need to change something that isn't broken but instead.. improve upon it. You're in the minority with your posts

Alright, a few days have passed... Is the honeymoon phase over? Any Destiny 1 dislikers loving this?

I personally cant trust the media reviews, it just never really resonates with me.

HMD

Alright, a few days have passed... Is the honeymoon phase over? Any Destiny 1 dislikers loving this?

I personally cant trust the media reviews, it just never really resonates with me.

Wait for the raid/trials to drop before asking, I'd say give it a week.

Loris146

It' still Destiny. If you are looking for something different don't buy D2. They added a real campaign , filled the world with a lot of things to do and of course fixed 90/95% of the issues of the first one ( map , public event , drop system , matchmaking and so on ).

It' still Destiny. If you are looking for something different don't buy D2. They added a real campaign , filled the world with a lot of things to do and of course fixed 90/95% of the issues of the first one ( map , public event , drop system , matchmaking and so on ).

I mean, all of that does sound good. But Im pretty floored that people loved Destiny 1 since it sounded incredibly repetitive grinding. Playing the same areas for better items to do it again sounds as fun as watching paint dry.

But if Im to understand, this is also how games like Diablo are.

Yet it seems even the first run of Destiny 1 was bad. So if someone like me buys it, do I enjoy the first runthrough for the story/experience, play a bit of the raids and whatever to get some better items, and then ultimately retire it?

Ive never completely grasped destiny's design.

Wait, that's not at launch? How can people review the game then? Seems like a schemey thing to do

Gator86

D2 is very good. It addresses most of the big criticisms of D1 while retaining the good things that D1 brought to the table. D1 is a top 5 disappointing game of all time for me and I think D2 is absolutely worth a purchase for most people. I'm having a ton of fun with it. There's definitely some flaws, but they're forgivable.

Bungie is still pretty lazy with their enemy design. Mostly enemies from D1 with a few new tweaks. Bosses are still big lumbering bullet sponges with melee domes and big mortar effects mostly.

Customization is mostly gone thanks to the set perk sets. Once you have the subclass you prefer, you're probably not entering that screen again.

The raid is one mission. It doesn't change the overall product unless you're one of those people who plans to run it 45 times. There's probably nothing more overrated in gaming than Destiny raids.

I mean.. glad they didn't go all out and change every single aspect of the game. There was a reason Destiny 1 had 30 million registered players.. no need to change something that isn't broken but instead.. improve upon it. You're in the minority with your posts

'Destiny 1.5' doesn't mean they had to change everything in the sequel. It's also a critic to the lack of new content. Re-used areas. Re-used assets. Most enemies are the same! Classes? The same 3 (reworked, yeah, but other sequels have done it better in offering even more).

benzopil

GamingBolt -- 7/10
On the one hand, Destiny 2 will feel like old times, an adventure that begins with the words "Be brave" and culminates in epic shenanigans. On the other hand, Destiny's soul doesn't feel any more defined in this sequel and it's prone to many of the pitfalls of the original while introducing some new mistakes. Highly recommended for Destiny fans and new players but those who didn't like the original might want to think twice.

Paste Magazine -- 8/10
While new content will drip in over the next couple years, right now you really have to take seriously that Destiny 2 is like a microwave: you know exactly what it does, and it does it well, but you can't expect it to do more than that. It's very hard for me to look at the past five or six years of console and PC games, and then the things that are announced for the next six months, and think that I want to fully integrate Destiny 2 into my life as my primary entertainment appliance. It would be so easy to do so, but the cost of committing to this thing over any other thing seems so high.

Hardcore Gamer -- 3.5/5
Destiny 2 is what Destiny should have been, but it’s not what a sequel should have been. That isn’t to say it isn’t fun; in fact, the world of Destiny has never been more entertaining.

Top Bottom