• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: Seven minutes of Survival gameplay on Altar of Flame - IGN First

Blind Watch, Exodus Blue, Rusted Lands, Firebase Delphi, Bastion, Twilight Gap, Bannerfall, Floating Gardens, and Widow's Court have more verticality and/or height variation than Midtown. Midtown is evenly displaced 3 levels, and there isn't really a point where all 3 interact.

IMHO Vertigo too

Ramirez

Firefight sounds cool on paper for Destiny, but then you remember how much Reach's version sucked compared to ODST. Plus, you just know it'd be filled with nothing but yellow bar enemies after a certain wave count. ZzzZzZz

Firefight sounds cool on paper for Destiny, but then you remember how much Reach's version sucked compared to ODST. Plus, you just know it'd be filled with nothing but yellow bar enemies after a certain wave count. ZzzZzZz

Yea, Destiny doesnt have the right enemies for horde mode. Everything in Destiny tanks bullets until their healthbar goes down. In Halo, you had limited resources and the enemies were more of a threat.

Jblanks

Can't believe they had one video (yesterday) showing off PvE stuff and was the best video by far, but this is like the 3rd or 4th PvP video they've shown, and they've all been quite boring. Half the video was shooting in and out of cover.

GhaleonEB

But as WesleyShark pointed out, that's what PoE is. It just lacks being Endless. And the top tier doesn't have matchmaking.

Bungie has tried it a few times now - I'd argue Archon's Forge was a better attempt at it than PoE, despite the single arena. I'm guessing we do get a new iteration of the idea in a public space on one ore more of the new destinations.

Even then, the Forge is less about survival and more about hanging out with people and blowing up enemies. Though it sounds like some of the new public events will pose more of a threat.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hm.

So I didn't really realize this before but is Destiny 2 now going to work like Overwatch where you can't pick the PvP mode? Instead, there's two separate playlists, one with Control and (I assume) Clash, the other with Countdown and Survival?

Ramirez

Hm.

So I didn't really realize this before but is Destiny 2 now going to work like Overwatch where you can't pick the PvP mode? Instead, there's two separate playlists, one with Control and (I assume) Clash, the other with Countdown and Survival?

Honestly, it helps the game's population doing it this way. Gives them a huge pool to pull from for connection and skill. I mean is there really a huge difference between Control, Clash, & Supremacy to the point they need their own playlists? Not really.

Trials will probably be Countdown or Survival from week to week, so it makes sense to put both modes together so people can practice both.

Tawpgun

The point of the analogy is that people who aren't either

A] Good at something
B] Don't understand how it works
C] Don't even like what it was before
D] All of the above

Don't have much weight to their opinions when it changes. It's a good way to gauge reception for potential adopters, but not much more.

These discussions always end up at the same point - the need to balance from the top down. The most accessible Halo game/Bungie game was the first, and it still the most competitively viable. There's a very simple reason for that.

I used to be like this. Was no MLG pro but in the Onyx range in Halo. Lamented the casual nature of Halo 4. But after the friends I played Reach and 3 with told me they think Halo 5 was too hardcore the message was clear. The design decisions around Arena were clear in that regard. They had a top down approach there. They were pushing HCS and their internal "Pro Team" hard.

It was all design decisions I agreed with. It made the game better at a high level. But not for every day players who were frustrated.

All I'm saying is its a shitty mindset to have and often times you are explaining game mechanics that most players don't ever think about. You may be right, but it doesn't mean that are important enough changes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Honestly, it helps the game's population doing it this way. Gives them a huge pool to pull from for connection and skill. I mean is there really a huge difference between Control, Clash, & Supremacy to the point they need their own playlists? Not really.

Trials will probably be Countdown or Survival from week to week, so it makes sense to put both modes together so people can practice both.

I'm not against it. I think it's a better way to do things, as it keeps things fresh from match to match.

And yeah, I forgot about Supremacy. I wish Bungie would actually let us know what old modes are returning. Survival is replacing Skirmish and we know Rumble won't be in at launch -- likely due to this new playlist format.

I don't think they've said anything else other than Control, Countdown and now Survival but I think we can safely assume Clash is in it.

Is Salvage gone? Will Rift and Supremacy be in the game at launch?

(Please let Rift be in at launch.)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah I don't understand why quick play can't be 6v6 and Comp can be 4 v 4.

it sucks because at least with 6v6 entire teams can go together, now two have to drop off. Or your fireteam of 3 after a nightfall needs +1

lol.

This is why fireteams should allow four players. There's no consistency in group sizes. Three player groups for PVE that aren't raids, four people for PVP, and six people for raids. That isn't good.

Dynasty8

This is why fireteams should allow four players. There's no consistency in group sizes. Three player groups for PVE that aren't raids, four people for PVP, and six people for raids. That isn't good.

Agreed, except I'd just make it 4 and 6 ONLY.

Story, Strikes, Patrol, and Competitive PvP should allow 4 in a fireteam.

Quickplay PvP and Raids should allow 6 in a fireteam.

Ramirez

I'm not against it. I think it's a better way to do things, as it keeps things fresh from match to match.

And yeah, I forgot about Supremacy. I wish Bungie would actually let us know what old modes are returning. Survival is replacing Skirmish and we know Rumble won't be in at launch -- likely due to this new playlist format.

I don't think they've said anything else other than Control, Countdown and now Survival but I think we can safely assume Clash is in it.

Is Salvage gone? Will Rift and Supremacy be in the game at launch?

(Please let Rift be in at launch.)

There was a leaked promo piece that said 5 modes, educated guess below...

-Control
-Countdown
-Survival
-Supremacy
-Clash

Kill Confirmed sucks, no idea why they're bringing that over instead of Rift or a CTF mode.

Stillmatic

Yeah this doesn't make sense to me either. When there was a rumor floating around that raids could be 8 players, it made a bit more sense. But I don't think that's going to be the case in the end.

Because of raiding in D1 you have a good regular group of 6 and could evenly divide 6/3 for other activities. Being able to do something similar for D2 would've been perfect, instead of fracturing squads into 6/4/3 depending on what you want to do.

Frenden

Banned
They're using the most basic of guns in demos.
They're using legendaries. Ever since the D1 Y1 HC nerf, legendaries have been the dominant class of guns in Destiny pvp. That's the last two years. These guns are probably a very fair indicator of how pvp will play.

ZeoVGM

Banned
They're using legendaries. Ever since the D1 Y1 HC nerf, legendaries have been the dominant class of guns in Destiny pvp. That's the last two years. These guns are probably a very fair indicator of how pvp will play.

Huh? Why wouldn't legendaries be the dominant type?

Did you expect everyone to be exotics as primaries?

Kyoufu

No but they look and feel like the same boring junk since The Taken King came out. For a Sci-Fi game with loot, there's nothing exciting about this and when they do add new guns that are unique and thrilling to use they're just nerfed not long after.

Frenden

Banned

I didn't. You claimed the guns were basic. They're not. They're the dominant weapon class. This is as complex as primaries will be short of exotics. You wholly missed the point.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I didn't. You claimed the guns were basic. They're not. They're the dominant weapon class. This is as complex as primaries will be short of exotics. You wholly missed the point.

No, you said, "Ever since the D1 Y1 HC nerf, legendaries have been the dominant class of guns in Destiny pvp."

Legendaries have always been the dominant class. Since day one. You're saying a nerf to HCs is what caused that? Huh?

ZeoVGM

Banned
No but they look and feel like the same boring junk since The Taken King came out. For a Sci-Fi game with loot, there's nothing exciting about this and when they do add new guns that are unique and thrilling to use they're just nerfed not long after.

Well, opinions and all that. There are plenty of legendary weapons I think look cool and play great.

If you're looking for a complete redesign to how guns look and feel, I'm thinking the game just isn't for you.

Frenden

Banned
No, you said, "Ever since the D1 Y1 HC nerf, legendaries have been the dominant class of guns in Destiny pvp."

Legendaries have always been the dominant class. Since day one. You're saying a nerf to HCs is what caused that? Huh?

No. Cripes. Before the HC nerf, three exotic HCs ruled the crucible. Before that, the Suros. That wasn't my point.

My point was, THESE ARE NOT BASIC GUNS. THESE ARE LIKELY THE DOMINANT CLASS OF GUNS FOR CRUCIBLE PLAY. IT IS FAIR TO JUDGE THE GAME BASED ON THEIR USE.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No. Cripes. Before the HC nerf, three exotic HCs ruled the crucible. Before that, the Suros. That wasn't my point.

Sounds like they fixed a problem then.

My point was, THESE ARE NOT BASIC GUNS. THESE ARE LIKELY THE DOMINANT CLASS OF GUNS FOR CRUCIBLE PLAY. IT IS FAIR TO JUDGE THE GAME BASED ON THEIR USE.

Yes, legendary guns are likely to be the dominant rarity.

Not seeing the issue.

Might wanna not get so heated over a video game though.

Frenden

Banned
You claimed the guns used were basic.

I provided evidence to show they were both not basic and likely to be the exact class of guns pvp hinges upon.

You have since ignored your original statement several times or are completely incapable of seeing my point.

Not even the ever persuasive, attention grabbing, classic use of caps lock seems capable of making you remember your original point.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nah, there will be more and better guns. They're simply not going to be showing them off in demos.

I take it you won't be getting the game though?

Sounds like they fixed a problem then.

Yes, legendary guns are likely to be the dominant rarity.

Not seeing the issue.

Might wanna not get so heated over a video game though.

Nah, there will be more and better guns. They're simply not going to be showing them off in demos.

I take it you won't be getting the game though?

This is the most nonsensical exchange i have ever read. ZeoVGM nothing that you have said makes a lick of sense. And i just felt the need to point this out, don't expect another post from me because you would probably drag me in an equally nonsensical argument.

Trakan

You're in for a rude awakening come launch man. Sure, you'll get better/worse guns but it's pretty clear this is how the guns are going to feel. These are legendaries, not greens like in D1. Ironically the greens in D1 felt better to use.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is the most nonsensical exchange i have ever read. ZeoVGM nothing that you have said makes a lick of sense. And i just felt the need to point this out, don't expect another post from me because you would probably drag me in an equally nonsensical argument.

There was nothing wrong with what I said, mate.

I believe they're using basic legendary guns. I think there will be better and more unique ones to get.

Not quite sure why this is such a difficult idea to grasp.

You're in for a rude awakening come launch man. Sure, you'll get better/worse guns but it's pretty clear this is how the guns are going to feel. These are legendaries, not greens like in D1. Ironically the greens in D1 felt better to use.

Well, then it all comes down to opinions then. I have no problem with how the guns feel in this beta -- especially believing there will be guns that feel better in the final game that they're not going to show off in a demo -- and I think saying the greens in D1 felt better to use is legit insane.

Kyoufu

Well, then it all comes down to opinions then. I have no problem with how the guns feel in this beta and I think saying the greens in D1 felt better to use is legit insane.

But it's the truth. D2 beta guns feel boring and weak. Everything was strong and effective in the D1 alpha/beta and that's because it was before Bungie nerfed everything.

In Bungie's search for "balance" they've ended up with "boring" instead.

Trace

Banned
There was nothing wrong with what I said, mate.

I believe they're using basic legendary guns. I think there will be better and more unique ones to get.

Not quite sure why this is such a difficult idea to grasp.

Well, then it all comes down to opinions then. I have no problem with how the guns feel in this beta -- especially believing there will be guns that feel better in the final game that they're not going to show off in a demo -- and I think saying the greens in D1 felt better to use is legit insane.

I can guarantee you the guns in the D1 alpha/beta felt better than the guns in the D2 beta. Even if we are comparing greens vs legendaries, they felt stronger, had more auto-aim and did more damage comparatively. Literally the only class of weapon that feels better in D2 is handcannons because they were literally useless in the D1 alpha/beta.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Are we seriously going back to the D1 alpha/beta? That's never coming back, even if you do really somehow remember exactly how those guns felt after three years of playing non-alpha/beta Destiny.

Seems like a silly comparison and not one I'm personally interested in. I care about how guns feel in this beta compared to the last year+ of D1 and I'm happy with how they feel.

Siege.exe

The only weapon class I genuinely feared for coming out of the beta was the grenade launcher, because assuming that you were able to get a rocket or a fusion rifle, I don't see why you use it. Maybe there are other grenade launchers that aren't as wimpy or allow you to bounce your shots, but the one in the beta was really unimpressive.

Are we seriously going back to the D1 alpha/beta? That's never coming back, even if you do really somehow remember exactly how those guns felt after three years of playing non-alpha/beta Destiny.

Seems like a silly comparison and not one I'm personally interested in. I care about how guns feel in this beta compared to the last year+ of D1 and I'm happy with how they feel.

The guns in this beta feel like water guns with disappearing bullets and insanely high recoil.

Anyways, you are so wrong about legendaries in a previous post being always the best. Exotics are literally the highest tier and should be above legendaries and that clearly hasn't been the case in the last 2 years.

Everything weapon wise has been nerfed to the ground while adding insanely high bloom, recoil and flinch.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The guns in this beta feel like water guns with disappearing bullets and insanely high recoil.

Anyways, you are so wrong about legendaries in a previous post being always the best.

That isn't something I ever said.

I said that they're used more. I didn't say they were better than exotics. Clearly, that's wrong.

He said that legendaries are the "dominant" rarity in the Crucible. I think that's obvious because you can only equip one. Not everyone wants to use an exotic as their primary.

Exotics are literally the highest tier and should be above legendaries and that clearly hasn't been the case in the last 2 years.

I see people use exotic primaries often enough. But you can only equip one. I personally would rather use a great legendary that I know I can shred people with and then save an exotic for the heavy slot. I'm certainly not along on that either.

I used a rare sniper rifle for the first half of year one and a common sniper rifle (literally the first one that drops from the chest) for the second half. Sometime after all the nerfs, they basically made it so you had to use a Legendary to stay competitive.

There was a time The Crucible was the place you went in and used whatever you wanted. That time is long gone.

Okay, feels like then I didn't miss out on trying the PVP. Not a huge fan of competitive modes in RPGs where item stats matter, just makes it unfair in my opinion. Prefer more when doing it like Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and recently FFXIV that just has a standard set of equipment for everyone depending on class.

I can understand however why, in Destiny 2 it wouldn't be as much fun considering the vast amount of different weapons with different characteristics and in PvP I guess you wanna use those specific weapons. And they would be a living hell to balance.

those guys are misleading you. perks and stuff matter in pvp, but the damage is normalized. actual levels of your gear don't give you an advantage in normal modes.

Blueblur1

Wow, that has got to be the worst Destiny map ever made. It's literally just a paintball field. And the game type is boring and safe as fuck. What the hell happened to their competitive MP team after D1? This shit reeks of Halo 5's Pro Team focus.

Bizazedo

I hate these modes, just give me Clash

too team dependant, not fun for solo players

I am going to rage so hard in this game due to people seeing their side is losing and leaving, making it 3 on 4 or 2 on 4.

Leavers were an issue in D1, but it's going to be magnified here, especially with all these try harder modes.

Karamsoul

Gee...look - more 4v4 primary bullshit. Jesus Christ these guys don't have a clue. Stop putting e-sports in my multiplayer!

I am going to rage so hard in this game due to people seeing their side is losing and leaving, making it 3 on 4 or 2 on 4.

Leavers were an issue in D1, but it's going to be magnified here, especially with all these try harder modes.

this is why 6v6 was better, you could still win with 1 man out
So play the casual modes.

go play any other shooter on the maket, leave our Space Magic alone

ZeoVGM

Banned
this is why 6v6 was better, you could still win with 1 man out

go play any other shooter on the maket, leave our Space Magic alone

Our space magic is still there. They do need to speed up ability cool downs though.

There's a casual playlist and a competitive playlist. The whole "omg e-sports" thing is nonsense.

Top Bottom