• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

The vistas at the end of the second video and the start of the third are gorgeous!! I cant wait to see more places. This still looks like old russia.

fedexpeon

Banned
I know right, the reticule is right there not expanding and staying small, yet no one seems to take advantage of it.

Yup, he is playing this game like it a standard FPS.
Totally wrong playstyle for a FPS-MMO due to loots/time efficiency.
Why even cover when you aren't near dying. You have HP bar yo.

He needs to rush in, throws grenades, uses skills, and spray/pray until forced into recovering his shield/hp.
Or train a whole pack of mobs so he can maximize his AOE skills/explosion

Vire

At least the vistas are still beautiful:

9WB8nap.png

Nice draw distance too.

Arzehn

For raw footage of the alpha it looks pretty fun to me, Dinklage's VA seems kinda weak though, maybe not a good fit for the part.

Salex_

Okay, so I watched a little over 6 minutes of the footage.
1. The reticle is ridiculously small.
2. He uses ADS the entire time.

????

I'm not sure how he didn't think shooting without it just to test it out. I hope I don't have to use ADS.

Dinklage reminds me of kevin spaceys voice work in Moon. Seems without much personality but hes a frickin robot so its all good. I think it will be fine. A line or 2 did make me cringe a wee bit.

Maybe it reveals what's so special about it if you play it yourself, I'm still havin a hard time getting excited for this game having watched these videos. All i see at the moment is run of the mill ads shooting at mob-enemies without much personality. Let's see if E3 will turn this around for me.

Trickster

Didn't watch very much of it. Mainly just a quick skim through. No point in watching some leaked alpha gameplay when we're only 3 days from E3, where Bungie will have a proper blowout for the game.

That said, I love the part where he's out in the open area, then walk into a small crumbled building, and then there are stairs leading down into a basement area with mobs that he can't even touch. That's the kind of exploration and discovery I really wanted to see. Of course there needs to be something to actually discover in a place like that. Video footage from before the fall, something that begins a quest/questline, audilog, textlogs etc. Stuff like these needs to be littered across destiny while you're exploring the worlds. If they have that in the game, I'm so fucking sold.

Wonder what will happen to the leaker, because he sure did done fuck up bigtime

Bungie's Alpha has been out a little bit for friends and family.

Don't think an employee would disown someone over this but probably a 'friend' isn't going to be one very much longer.

WOW.. can't believe a friend or family member of an employee would jeopardize the bungie employee's job by doing a live stream just days before e3 when the game will inevitably shown anyway. dick move.

Dysun

Game looks great, but Tyrion sounds bored as hell out there

"It looks like Borderlands" is fine with me, I'll take Bungie 100 times out of 100 over Gearbox. Better art, gunplay, design, tone. Sign me up

Jblanks

Aim Down Sights, when you bring the sights up to the middle of the screen, slowing your character down and blocking most of the view with a giant gun model.

AKA Bad FPS

Wait , so if a FPS has ADS it's considered the bad type .. ? Alright.

ShinMaruku

You're right, they spent more. Good fucking god. The scale better be something else entirely.

I was trying to be generous. Also good chunk of that 500 million is going towards marketing.

Also it's not 500 million on this game, that's the franchise budget. This game probably has 50-70 million into it the rest is marketing and other things.

ryan299

I'm really not feeling this game. I don't know if its bc I played a ton of Borderlands 2 and just get the vibe that Destiny is the same but won't be as good.

The gameplay just looks bland to me. Maybe the beta will change my mind.

PaulloDEC

Aim down sights.

Ah. I thought it was a reference to the A, D and S keys on a keyboard, i.e. he strafes and retreats a lot without moving forward much. Funnily enough, that was also true here.

Dinklage reminds me of kevin spaceys voice work in Moon. Seems without much personality but hes a frickin robot so its all good. I think it will be fine.

I thought he was good, reminded me a lot of Tony Stark's AI in the Iron Man films.

Look like Activision put the kabosh on those videos.

They looked semi-interesting, but there just wasn't a lot going on. I'm still cautiously optimistic for it. Just can't wait for the Beta to start.

There's supposed to be multiple planets, a properly fleshed out single player campaign, a lot of dynamic co-op stuff, PvP, etc.

It's like judging World of Warcraft without seeing a major boss raid or the capital cities. The concern over the gameplay is fine, but this is obviously far, far, far from the whole game's content.

Jarmel

Banned
Also it's not 500 million on this game, that's the franchise budget. This game probably has 50-70 million into it the rest is marketing and other things.

Just the first game is by itself has a development cost around $200 million now. We know this from the leaked contract awhile ago(which was before the delays). It's not 50 million or anything that low. Marketing rule of thumb is double the development/production costs. So yea, the first game alone is at least in the 300 million range on up. Don't forget those DLC and expansion packs.

Was only able to see the last video. The environment was impressive enough, and the stab melee looked and sounded great, but enemies seemed like bullet-sponges and there was a real lack of personality or action.

Will be interesting to see exactly what is showcased at e3, because this still looks kindof like a Borderlands designed by committee to smooth out any and all edges.

There's supposed to be multiple planets, a properly fleshed out single player campaign, a lot of dynamic co-op stuff, PvP, etc.

It's like judging World of Warcraft without seeing a major boss raid or the capital cities. The concern over the gameplay is fine, but this is obviously far, far, far from the whole game's content.

Surely the gameplay is the only aspect that matters? It looks somewhat uninspired in the videos so far. Gunplay looks good though and they've nailed the atmosphere, but general gameplay doesn't really inspire much confidence at this point.

Enemy encounters aren't interested, the AI is awful, the less said about the voice acting the better and the music isn't exactly great either. Not sure if that's because it's still place-holder with what happened with Marty, but it's not what I expected...

Dolobill

Aim Down Sights, when you bring the sights up to the middle of the screen, slowing your character down and blocking most of the view with a giant gun model.

AKA Bad FPS

Given that Halo is the best controlling modern FPS series and doesn't have ADS, I would agree.

IMO of course.

Top Bottom