• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

DSN2K

looks great, I presume those who dislike it were fans of Halo 4 ? since it moved away from the Halo formula.

Zakalwe

Banned
The only problem I had with the VA was Peter's voice is too familiar. I kept picturing Tyrion. Aside from that, I like his performance.

The game looks fun. Open world Halo would always be good. Still, it does just look like Halolands and the moment. Wouldn't be terrible if that was all we got, but it wouldn't be what I hoped for.

Still excited.

Just the first game is by itself has a development cost around $200 million now. We know this from the leaked contract awhile ago(which was before the delays). It's not 50 million or anything that low. Marketing rule of thumb is double the development/production costs. So yea, the first game alone is at least in the 300 million range on up. Don't forget those DLC and expansion packs.

Another thing to take note is the structural changes that had to clearly happen within Bungie to support their production pipeline.

To basically be able to release a major release every two years, while still having a substantial expansion pack release in-between means that they practically has to have two almost independent development teams within Bungie themselves to support that kind of production pace.

In other words, they already need to hire and put into place all the scheduled release timelines for everything post-Destiny, even before the first game is close to being done.

This isn't like CoD where Acti can just throw the project on another studio. Everything is clearly done in-house for Bungie, and that means they need to grow and build that structure.

Get_crazy

Banned
What's wrong with using ADS? You can be way more accurate using it.

Also, dafuq with people saying that FPS with ADS = bad FPS?!

Sojgat

Was only able to see the last video. The environment was impressive enough, and the stab melee looked and sounded great, but enemies seemed like bullet-sponges and there was a real lack of personality or action.

Will be interesting to see exactly what is showcased at e3, because this still looks kindof like a Borderlands designed by committee to smooth out any and all edges.

Lack of personality is right. Enemies look like they're just standing around until they see the player. They don't seem to be patrolling or interacting with each other.

Peter Dinklage sounds not very motivated.
Is he new to voice acting?

On the other hand game looks ok.
Nice graphics and audio and I bet it's more fun when played with others.

KeRaSh

The videos showed exactly what I'm expecting from the game and I'm loving it. This will be fun with two friends and with tougher enemies. The packs here were Lv 2 if I saw correctly vs a Lv 5/6 player. It's also nice to know that the game is definitely playable solo like the guy here.
Beta can't come soon enough!

Crosseyes

Banned
I think the numbers showing may be critical when it comes to the PvP reveal at E3.

I mean think about it. The character is persistent that means the armor and all its upgrades and elements are going up against any other person's armor's upgrades and elements.

The same gun with say a fire element fired at one guy could do 60 damage to one guy and 30 damage to the other and without some feedback of that it would lead to a whole lot of "WTF I shot that guy like 10 times and he's not dead!? How was I supposed to know he had armor resistant to my fire damage!?"

jgminto

Everything I've seen of the game so far has been extremely disappointing. The gameplay just looks so lifeless and uninspired. I hope my opinion will change if I actually get my hands on the game but as a former Halo fan it's hard to get excited knowing this is meant to be the big new Bungie project.

Also Dinklage VO is really weird. He just sounds like...him. Needs some filtering though maybe that hasn't been added yet. I don't remember how it was in the last demo.

scoobs

The problem with the videos they've shown, and its present in these leaked alpha gameplay videos too, is the lack of any hint of a story and the game doesn't seem to have any "life".. the only person talking is the little robot and his voice is very serious and quite frankly does not seem like a good casting choice. Seems to me they should have went w/ a comic relief robot to give the game some damn personality. Its just run around and shoot shit. This is why it seems boring to people.

Game is in desperate need of character. The reason borderlands works is the humor and art style fit perfectly with the gameplay. Here we have a case of trying to mix a coop loot shooter w/ a serious tone and it just doesn't mesh well. It might just seem this way because we've been given so little story that we don't realize why we're at these locales shooting shit up, but that's Bungie's fault for marketing it poorly.

They'd really do themselves a huge favor by showing off the campaign stuff. Let us get to know the story and characters and perhaps it won't seem so damn lifeless

Dysun

"All they show is shooting in corridors, I want to see some more open areas and exploring"

*sees an open area with some wondering around*

"It looks so lifeless and boring, where are all the enemies?"

im kidding around

Don't forget to complain about the AI of level 3 enemies. Out of who knows how many levels, because you know noob creeps are representative of those you will find later on

Leb

Looks pretty anemic, but then so has most of the footage released so far. Here's hoping they release the beta at E3 so we can finally discover for ourselves just what Destiny actually is.

Refresh me on ADS, is that like Aim assist?

Thought that was pretty standard for controller based FPS since it can't keep up with the precision of a Mouse.

Surely the gameplay is the only aspect that matters? It looks somewhat uninspired in the videos so far. Gunplay looks good though and they've nailed the atmosphere, but general gameplay doesn't really inspire much confidence at this point.

Enemy encounters aren't interested, the AI is awful, the less said about the voice acting the better and the music isn't exactly great either. Not sure if that's because it's still place-holder with what happened with Marty, but it's not what I expected...

Of course gameplay matters. It matters a whole, whole lot.

But the whole 'this game cost X amount of money!?' post is irrespective of gameplay. GTA5 could have had shit-gameplay and it would still be ridiculously expensive because it's the content that cost that much. There's clearly a whole lot of content that we haven't seen from Destiny.

To put it clearly, I was responding mostly to the whole 'eh, money?' comments.

ThankeeSai

Looks good to me, but please bungie...Add some opacity options to the hud or some sway or something. The current one will disagree with my plasma something terrible :(

PaulloDEC

Peter Dinklage sounds not very motivated.
Is he new to voice acting?

I'm about 95% certain he's been directed to keep an even tone. He's playing an AI, so it's not altogether surprising.

Everything I've seen of the game so far has been extremely disappointing. The gameplay just looks so lifeless and uninspired. I hope my opinion will change if I actually get my hands on the game. As a former Halo fan it's hard to get excited knowing this is meant to be the big new Bungie project.

I know this is kinda unfair, but I'm currently playing the original Halo for the first time, and there's a huge amount of sameyness going on. Rescuing a bloke on a spaceship has just had me running through a bunch of identical corridors into a bunch of very-similar hangers for the best part of an hour.

Donos

Doesn't look earth shattering but i'm sure it will be still fun.

Thing is, when they showed more and more Watchdogs gameplay, people went "meh GTA with a bit of hacking" besides the downgrade/graphics discussion and then it still sold pretty well.

I guess it's going to be the same for Destiny. Solid gameplay + know studio + nice SciFi design + huge PR/ad campaign = success.

In one sentence:
Reading Destiny threads is very reminiscent of reading a Watchdogs thread.

jamsy

Yeah, honestly doesn't look all that amazing. Visuals are nice and I'm sure all the shooting will feel good and all but..

...all this focus on multiplayer and missions kinda made me lose interest in this. Wish it had a more narrative-focused single player experience instead.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
? It turned out to actually be an alright game and the hate was really for nothing, at least not the levels it experienced.

For nothing? The graphics downgrade was real. The gameplay was another ubi filler fest. The story, voice acting, and characters were incredibly weak.

Alright is not the word I'd use. Mediocre, bland, etc are the words I would use.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm watching the beginning og mega vid1, and all I can think is....... this game will feel so much better with the Wolfenstein lean system. :)

fedexpeon

Banned

This isn't a standard FPS ie: COD/BF.

This is a loot based FPSMMO with HP bar. Just run up and spray+throw explosion at everything.
Nobody got time for aiming like a scrub, and KILLING one enemy.
People have loots to collect.

But yeah, ADS slows you down too much for loot/time ratio.
And the problem with watching someone using ADS all the time makes the whole gameplay looks boring.

_hekk05

Banned
I see, and why would folks have a problem with this?

Some people seem to think that aiming down sights make for bad gameplay, which boggles the minds of any person who understands how aiming down sights work.

Also, its almost as if whatever is shown is alpha footage and does not represent the final product.

Though voicework is terrible and that's unlikely to change.

Booshka

Also, dafuq with people saying that FPS with ADS = bad FPS?!

Trolling right?

Quake, Tribes, Counter-Strike, etc

For consoles, aim assist, aim adhesion, and other tricks to create fine control out of imprecise controls of thumbsticks can help to make a player be very accurate, so long as they perfect it.

ADS is a crutch, slows down gameplay and marginalizes the skill of shooting and moving.

I see, and why would folks have a problem with this?

Traditional ADS slows the player down to increase the accuracy of shooting, which is wildly imprecise when hip-fired. So virtually every battle with a player is through sights at a decreased movement.

I personally don't find it interesting in PvP games.

This is a loot based FPSMMO with HP bar. Just run up and spray+throw explosion at everything.
At least it can be played like a standard FPS. It seems to suit both play styles. Albeit your way is better.

Get_crazy

Banned

Maybe that's why Bungie keep telling it's not an MMO. Also, there is ADS in Borderlands too, is it a big deal for it too?

I'm a console guy (sorry PC Master Race), so to me, ADS is kind of a standard for an FPS. It would be okay not having ADS with a TPS, for me at least.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't know what is going on in this thread, but I thought it looked pretty damn good. Way more immersive looking than Boderlands and gave me that little twinge of awe in parts like the early Halo's gave me, especially the end of the second and most of the last video.

Some people seem to think that aiming down sights make for bad gameplay, which boggles the minds of any person who understands how aiming down sights work.

Traditional ADS slows the player down to increase the accuracy of shooting, which is wildly imprecise when hip-fired. So virtually every battle with a player is through sights at a decreased movement.

I personally don't find it interesting in PvP games.

Yeah, I totally get the tradeoff and why people would use it. It seems to try to mimic the cost/benefit of a real life situation. I prefer to use it myself in shooters. I guess I just don't see why people would be upset by it if it's completely optional.

Booshka

Maybe that's why Bungie keep telling it's not an MMO. Also, there is ADS in Borderlands too, is it a big deal for it too?

I'm a console guy (sorry PC Master Race), so to me, ADS is kind of a standard for an FPS. It would be okay not having ADS with a TPS, for me at least.

Console shooters were better when they weren't plagued by ADS as well. I played a ton of Counter-Strike on original Xbox, never felt the need for ADS. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune 2, Unreal Championship, Shadowrun, Halo games (for now lol), none of them need ADS, and I played them all fine on Console.

The entire FPS genre has regressed because of how prevalent ADS is now. Personally, I hate it.

rac

Banned
Yeah, I totally get the tradeoff and why people would use it. It seems to try to mimic the cost/benefit of a real life situation. I prefer to use it myself in shooters. I guess I just don't see why people would be upset by it if it's completely optional.

They just want to see gameplay of someone not using ads.

looked decent

I'm gonna wait on some higher level content. Low level shit looks boring in just about everything. Also watching people reload every 3 bullets frustrates me

Peter Dinklage sounds a bit too animated for an AI. Don't know what you guys are talking about. For a person though, he sounds like he doesn't give a fuck lol

Top Bottom