• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta Thread: Moon wizards make Pet Sounds with space magic in a bottle

What is your favorite class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BokehKing

Banned
Nothing more heart pounding then searching for glimmer, finally finding some, maneuvering deep with in a cave, come around the corner and BAM.. Bunch of...??? Wizards! You turn and run like hell, running I to walls, Tripping over your feet, they're shrieking and cackling, crazy

Sojgat

PvPers.

Do you ads more than hip fire?
Do you go full auto with auto rifle or burst?
Which weapons do you use and why?
What would be the one tip you would give a new player?

ADS at range and when going for headshots, but hip fire works well up close. I'd say I use them both equally.
Full auto.
Auto rifle, sniper, and rocket launcher. Pretty much deals with everything.
Learn the maps, and know when and where to use your powers. You can get a LOT of kills with smart use of your super ability.

this game is the best shit of the fucking ever. had a blast yesterday and i think the pvp is great stuff

i hope there's lot of SP too, really wanna know what happens next!

MrS

Banned
ADS at range and when going for headshots, but hip fire works well up close.
Full auto.
Auto rifle, sniper, and rocket launcher. Pretty much deals with everything.
Learn the maps, and know when and where to use your powers. You can get a LOT of kills with smart use of your super ability.
Exactly the same.

Where do you guys go to, to get some decent loot? Do you preferably play Strike or PvP, or just explore?

Level 8 Strike if I want guaranteed level 8 greens.

Old Russia explore mode if I want encrypted green items (some of which have ended up being blue after visiting the Tower NPC) and gilmmer. There are three caves close to each other in the starting area, and a chest spawns in one at random. You can do a short circuit running from cave to cave, killing enemies on the way hunting for green drops (combined with the Ether Seed consumable will make them all drop glimmer when they die for ten minutes), opening a chest for glimmer and a possible item every 2-3 minutes.

I have more glimmer than I know what to do with =P

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really hope we don't get a character wipe though I have a feeling it will be inevitable.
I was talking about this with my bro while playing last night.

He seems to think we'll get to keep our characters, I tend to think we'll just get a special emblem or some shit.

Nonetheless, we're stockpiling gear that's too high level to equip just in case.

Bah, I think Bungie is on to me. The loot chests I've been farming for glimmer along the Forgotten Shore shoreline seem to have stopped spawning. :(

Edit: nevermind, finally found another one. Guess it was just bad luck

QaaQer

I don't see why new locations have to be built around levelling. Destiny is clearly designed to treat levelling as a tutorial, getting everyone to max level quickly to ensure a level playing field in PVP and a robust number of players queuing for Strikes.

Not really because the good PvP gear is separate from the stuff you find elsewhere. And if you don't have the good PvP gear (bought with crucible rep points), you will get 1 shotted every time. PvP balance is hateful to new players, even if you've maxed your level in co-op.

I was talking about this with my bro while playing last night.

He seems to think we'll get to keep our characters, I tend to think we'll just get a special emblem or some shit.

Nonetheless, we're stockpiling gear that's too high level to equip just in case.

Log in on the 26th and we'll get special items to take with us into the full release. Characters are likely to wipe though.

I've been holding onto all my level 10 blue items on the off-chance they raise the level cap towards the end of the beta.

Not really because the good PvP gear is separate from the stuff you find elsewhere. And if you don't have the good PvP gear (bought with crucible rep points), you will get 1 shotted every time. PvP balance is hateful to new players.

Yep, but a lot better than a level 100 cap and the higher level players dominating even easier.

For the record, I agree with you. I strongly dislike PVP in Destiny. The objective-based play isn't objective based at all. Kills are the best way to earn points, and the final scoreboard doesn't show points at all - only K/D/A. Far too CoD-like for my preferences. Supers in PVP also feel terrible to me. Not even remotely skill based. Luckily, the PVE is so damn good in this game that I don't care! I'm just glad to see the PVP is still hugely popular, proving this game appeals to such a wide variety of players =)

G0DLIKE

This is one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely brilliant.

That being said, if there's no region filter in the final game, or significantly better matchmaking, I won't even consider buying it.

I keep getting put in laggy games. Fuck it does my head in.

Really enjoying single player and co-op with friends but boy I'm one of the few who think the pvp is garbage. Feels like it was an after thought to me and I can't believe I'm saying this because this is Bungie God damn it. Think I had more fun with the Bionic Commando MP before each games final release.
Is there an option to not be shooting at huge health meters?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Log in on the 26th and we'll get special items to take with us into the full release. Characters are likely to wipe though.

I've been holding onto all my level 10 blue items on the off-chance they raise the level cap towards the end of the beta.
Excellent news, thanks!

I just don't know whether to go Warlock or Hunter in retail. I've enjoyed them both so much.

AHA-Lambda

I don't see why new locations have to be built around levelling. Destiny is clearly designed to treat levelling as a tutorial, getting everyone to max level quickly to ensure a level playing field in PVP and a robust number of players queuing for Strikes.

Seen the lower level areas of Old Russia? The tunnels, cave systems, and subways? They're packed with ?? level enemies. Pretty sure the game is designed to encourage a lot of exploration for players of any level, and to get that levelling experience out of the way as soon as possible.

I see what you are saying but that still seems like a hell of an assumption. If that were the case then why bother putting a levelling system in to the game in the first place?

Altima

Am I the only one who confuse when people talk about place in this game ?

I hope they will add map to this game. At this moment I do not know how can I go to the place people talking about. :(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
People keep saying 'just level 8' when they still got nearly a dozen skills left that they're nowhere close to opening up.
PvPers.

Do you ads more than hip fire?
Do you go full auto with auto rifle or burst?
Which weapons do you use and why?
What would be the one tip you would give a new player?

for some weapons you can 'get away with' not aiming down sights to finish someone off at low health. its more of a feel thing than anything else though.

the burst rifles work great for some people, but i'm seeing more and more people lean towards the semi or auto - the one thing i'm starting to fall in love with is the hand cannon while playing hunter. when you ads with the hand cannon, it doesn't shrink your field of view so much that you have to readjust drastically to get your throwing knife off in a fight. just my opinion there though. auto rifles aren't that overpowered imo either. if you're getting eaten up by an AR, then you probably goofed long before the fight started and during.

^I like my handcannon for the time being but that's due to change. Some semi's are better than others. ARs are typically reliable though. Fusion Rifles are great if you get the jump on people but they are NOT defensive at all. Sniper rifles are perfect as they as are imo because they're only 1 hit kills on headshot. You can't really use them that well up close either. Heavy Weapons though.... I wish they were more easily recognizable but I guess I'll just have to learn slow.

New players - always expect someone to come from above or straight at you with a superpower. The lanes are almost always the same so just don't be there staring straight up at the sky when the Warlock nukes you from above or when the Titan runs straight through the door to A and pounds you.

Strafe while people sprint. They can't turn.

If you're a Hunter, use your double jump. Its great. Especially upgraded.

Headshots.

Don't sprint everywhere. You'll light up the motion trackers and you can't do really be all that mobile out of it outside of a jump.

You can summon your own sparrow on the Moon map to get around faster.

I'm sure people can add more.

pieface

I love the PVP! When you get put on a half decent team anyway.

My biggest problem is that it seems the vehicles are way too overpowered. That tank thing is just impossible to take down when on foot. In Halo you'd always have a couple of grenades to chuck at the Ghosts/Warthogs but in this you dont. What are you supposed to do?

Lakitu

st5fu
So why did they block off the cosmodrome section? I know it doesn't serve any purpose in exploration (no loot/enemies) and it's in the first story mission, but I actually like to go there sometimes. I know I'm weird.

JB1981

I don't like using the AR personally but it does seem a little overpowered in PVP. I prefer the Scout Rifle, just wish I could strafe with less bloom. I do feel that ADS does negatively effect the style of play they are going for here. The game begs me to play it like Halo but then forces ADS on me. There is something incongruous about that

pieface

Don't sprint everywhere. You'll light up the motion trackers and you can't do really be all that mobile out of it outside of a jump.

Really? What's the difference between walking/running in regards to the motion sensor?

Also, when you crouch and move does it take you off the mini-map?

I see what you are saying but that still seems like a hell of an assumption. If that were the case then why bother putting a levelling system in to the game in the first place?

It works as a tutorial of sorts (learning skills one by one). Guild Wars did something very similar, with a level 20 cap. After that progression is marked by gear, skills, and environments - just like Destiny seems to be.

Yes, it's an assumption. But I highly doubt Bungie is going to release a $500 million MMO that can be completed in a week.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm just rotating characters right now, either doing low-level titan missions when they pad your wallet or exploring, I need that Cape today and that shader, then I'll be happy

Funny how, ever since I rolled a hunter, things just clicked more than they did with any other class

Pop

My biggest problem is that it seems the vehicles are way too overpowered. That tank thing is just impossible to take down when on foot. In Halo you'd always have a couple of grenades to chuck at the Ghosts/Warthogs but in this you dont. What are you supposed to do?

Well Bungie confirmed Beta will be last time you see two Interceptors on The Moon.

Level 8 Strike if I want guaranteed level 8 greens.

Old Russia explore mode if I want encrypted green items (some of which have ended up being blue after visiting the Tower NPC) and gilmmer. There are three caves close to each other in the starting area, and a chest spawns in one at random. You can do a short circuit running from cave to cave, killing enemies on the way hunting for green drops (combined with the Ether Seed consumable will make them all drop glimmer when they die for ten minutes), opening a chest for glimmer and a possible item every 2-3 minutes.

I have more glimmer than I know what to do with =P

Thanks, haven't tried the level 8 strike yet, will give it a shot :)

JB1981

Turrets, supers, heavy ammo should do the trick.

AHA-Lambda

It works as a tutorial of sorts (learning skills one by one). Guild Wars did something very similar, with a level 20 cap. After that progression is marked by gear, skills, and environments - just like Destiny seems to be.

Yes, it's an assumption. But I highly doubt Bungie is going to release a $500 million MMO that can be completed in a week.

Guild wars has done similar? Kl, fair enough, didn't know that. Seems fair then if that's the case.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Supers > Vehicles. By far.

And guys get sniped out of those vehicles all the time. Hell, I've seen a throwing knife finish off a guy in an interceptor. As long as you aren't just fucking around looking at moonrocks in the open for no reason, you can usually 'plan around' vehicles on the moon.
Really? What's the difference between walking/running in regards to the motion sensor?

Also, when you crouch and move does it take you off the mini-map?

I'd love to hear someone actually school me on it. I know for a fact that sprinting, jumping, and gunfire will immediately light up on the motion tracker. I can't tell a single difference between a crouch walk and a normal walk as I've approached people though.

QaaQer

I am going to be bad forever then.

Not forever, but it would take a long time.

I said fuck it after 3 hours. I hate dragging my teams down, and I'm not going to farm against players whose weapons do literally ten times the damage of my best weapon. It's enough to turn me off the game.

For me I find PvE to be much more appealing that PvP. I'm sure I would enjoy the latter much more if I didn't feel like cannon fodder to all the other people running things. It seems like 9 times out of 10 I'm put in the team that gets spanked.

I feel like hip firing is a lot less effective than in the alpha, but that may just be because I'm using different weapons. With the scout rifle I'm using there are rarely any situations where aiming down the sights isn't the preferable option sadly.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I was defending ads after the beta, saying that hip fire was fine, and ads was like zooming in with the br in halo. Now in the beta, I can't kill anyone without ads. It's like going from pellets to real bullets.

It also feels like the amount of people complaining about pvp has increased. Wonder if that had anything to do with it? I'll hold my judgement until I get a hunter leveled up and can compare apples to apples, but right now I'm leaning toward liking the beta pvp less thanthe alpha.

Damn for real? Did not know the class had those types of abilities
Yus, looks to be much more close range and stealth oriented, and perhaps better for PvP as I think the arc blade super is more of an AoE attack. All assumptions, but I like what I read when I was looking at it in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom