• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta will be available in early 2014 (PS4, PS3, XONE, 360)

broony

I had the chance to have quite a discussion with Deej at Destiny's Gamescom party (i won an Activision contest and was invited). Aside from the fact that he is one of the greatest and passionnate PR i ever met, something he told surprised me a little : They could have set up a few rigs, polished a MP map and let people have deathmatch on it, but they wouldn't because they felt it would give a wrong impression on what the game is really about, and he added they wanted to present Destiny to the Europeans. And then something like, "i don't know if Halo is a big deal were you are". I couldn't give you the exact words, but it felt like we were an uninformed tier2 country that didn't watch E3 footages.

That's why we didn't get something different at Gamescom, and that's why i fear for the European Beta.

It will be just the same as the Halo 3 and Reach Beta. No different in Europe.

Plus this:

It isn't US only, there was a leak last week relating to Canadian and UK websites.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...inythegamecom_has_a_beta_link_up_currently_a/

hwalker84

I wonder if you'll be able to preorder from the xbone's marketplace? I plan on being completely digital this round.

But do they want to compete with their own little game called COD?
That has been my big question also but I can not see after giving that big of a team 4/5 years of money and not having the best window to release the game in.

COD will release on the 2nd Tuesday of Nov that is always been the case and that will als be in 2014, but Destiny will get more attenting
Maybe releasing it late October but still its not going to be a May game.

And if its a May game I would be VERY VERY surprised :O

Very happy to see a beta, although I'll probably wait for release. It shows they're still serious about the multiplayer side of things, and they're confident with how fans will react.

Caayn

Great to see that the "beta" (most likely glorified demo) will be available on all destiny platforms. But please don't be limited to amazon and the US. As I don't live in the US and there's no amazon in my country.

Atsumi

Finally decided I couldn't decide and ordered on both PS4 and ONE. Let's light this candle, Bungie because I'm ready for my glorified demo.

I had the chance to have quite a discussion with Deej at Destiny's Gamescom party (i won an Activision contest and was invited). Aside from the fact that he is one of the greatest and passionnate PR i ever met, something he told surprised me a little : They could have set up a few rigs, polished a MP map and let people have deathmatch on it, but they wouldn't because they felt it would give a wrong impression on what the game is really about, and he added they wanted to present Destiny to the Europeans. And then something like, "i don't know if Halo is a big deal were you are". I couldn't give you the exact words, but it felt like we were an uninformed tier2 country that didn't watch E3 footages.

That's why we didn't get something different at Gamescom, and that's why i fear for the European Beta.
Well. You are saying that everyone watches the E3 closely like hardcore gamers do, but that isn't the case. The majority of German video gamer saw the E3 presentation for Destiny the first time at GamesCom. Furthermore a live-presented gameplay is much different than just a captured footage. And believe me, I saw the Destiny presentation 5 times at GamesCom. Another point is that "deathmatch" does not showcase the vision, Bungie's aiming at. And creating a exclusive demo for an event will mean some people will have to stop working on Destiny, just for a new demo. A lot of decision have to be made and you should not fear that Bungie regards European countries at second tier countries. They were at GamesCom, but they didn't have any official presence at PAX Prime which is in the front door of their studio.

Finally decided I couldn't decide and ordered on both PS4 and ONE. Let's light this candle, Bungie because I'm ready for my glorified demo.
*cough* beta *cough*

Nice! Hopefully, they'll announce the limited editions, and possibly the console package today as well. That way, I can just pre-order the Destiny Xbox One, instead of having to pre-order a game, and then cancel it again when the console gets announced.

skdoo

Banned
PS4 the lead version... that may be the first time I have ever seen PS4 listed before XB1 in one of these statements. Interesting at least. I'm so in for the PS4 version - Halo was awesome when Bungie was still making it.

foxbeldin

Well. You are saying that everyone watches the E3 closely like hardcore gamers do, but that isn't the case. The majority of German video gamer saw the E3 presentation for Destiny the first time at GamesCom. Furthermore a live-presented gameplay is much different than just a captured footage. And believe me, I saw the Destiny presentation 5 times at GamesCom. Another point is that "deathmatch" does not showcase the vision, Bungie's aiming at. And creating a exclusive demo for an event will mean some people will have to stop working on Destiny, just for a new demo. A lot of decision have to be made and you should not fear that Bungie regards European countries at second tier countries. They were at GamesCom, but they didn't have any official presence at PAX Prime which is in the front door of their studio.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of people who paid the entrance at Gamescom have followed the E3.
I saw the presentation just once, the first one with a bunch of press people, as an invited "vip" guest, and it was almost the same, except Deej jumped on a different car than the one from the E3 conf at the beginning. It was very scripted gameplay (not computer scripted of course), same progression, same walk speed, same dialogues... I don't understand why you would want to go back five times honestly ^^

broony

I'm guessing this is for competitive multiplayer since the other part of the game is a story.

My guess would be like the reach beta where they also had co-op stuff. So, a bit of competitive, a single strike mission, a single raid mission and an area linking it all together.

That has been my big question also but I can not see after giving that big of a team 4/5 years of money and not having the best window to release the game in.

COD will release on the 2nd Tuesday of Nov that is always been the case and that will als be in 2014, but Destiny will get more attenting
Maybe releasing it late October but still its not going to be a May game.

And if its a May game I would be VERY VERY surprised :O

I think they could launch between E3 and August without loosing momentum into the holiday season, especially if they save their marketing blitz for early fall.

skdoo

Banned
Hopefully I'll be able to preorder on PSN, as I am going all digital this time. No video game boxes lying around for the wife to gripe about.

Gaza

Is this only for amazon? I pre ordered destiny during E3 on futureshop and got it for 40$ so it wouldn't really be worth it for me to switch.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm going to buy it on PSN, and I don't want to fuck Amazon around.

A Bungie staffer should deliver me a PS4 code, preferably in person on a velvet pillow, but I'll take a PM if that's inconvenient.

Top Bottom