• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Concept Art Analysis - IGN [360/PS3/"Future Gen", No Port Whining]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eideka

Banned
Activision must be mad if it does not put this out on PC. This deserves to be on PC....
Time will tell but that's not a big deal to me, my main concern was the multiplayer focus of the game. I'm not into MMOs at all and I hate the F2P model with a passion.
One time fee + no subscription sounds good to me.

jett

D-Member
Well hopefully we do see in-game stuff today.

The world they got here looks like an interesting mix of Mass Effect, Killzone and obviously Halo. I'm not very interested in the always connected multiplayer aspect, I hope for a beefy and content-rich single-player campaign.

Ushae

Banned
This looks utterly amazing. I personally own an Xbox, and will be getting Durango when it releases. Fuck exclusives, the gamer in me wants as many platforms to enjoy this as possible if it's good. Good games deserve great success. It's going to be very interesting to see the difference between current gen and next gen versions.

Possible cross gen play? Xbox <---> Nextbox? PS3 <---> PS4?

What's the point of giving up the halo franchise if all you're gonna do is remake it?

gckaaph5ounl.gif

Raide

All that amazing art-work and I cannot help but feel it will be wasted on a 360/PS3 release. I am sure Bungie will make it look awesome but I am also sure that the 720 version they are working on looks damn stunning.

Drencrom

Looks fairly interesting artwise and in concept going by the keyfeatures, hopefully they'll show some in-game footage today.

Edit: nvm

Cake Boss

Banned
I am going to guess there will be some cross platform play, not 360 to PS3 but 360 to 720 and PS3to PS4, a game this focused on online I dont see it having 4 different install bases especially on new consoles with a low install base.

Sojgat

There's no way they built up a full-on ARG to culminate in a few pieces of concept art and tenuous game details. There will be in-engine footage.

Yeah I have to believe this. Who's gonna officially reveal their new franchise 3 days before a next gen console reveal, with all this build up, and not show anything? I doubt there will be any First-person perspective stuff with a full HUD, but leaving it at just some concepts will only incite internet rage.

So did IGN leak the whole thing or are we supposed to get actual details?

I don't think IGN leaked or broke the embargo (may have, idk). They may have gotten exclusive rights to release some of the info early. We're supposed to get a ViDoc at 10am PST though.

Jarmel

Banned
That may just be the dev's talking about the game while showing of this set of concept art that got posted early. I dont think there is a guarantee there will be gameplay footage.

Alright this is irritating. I'm going to be annoyed if we don't get atleast a solid couple of screenshots out of this. Concept art is pointless if we don't see how it actually looks in-game.

Violater

I don't think IGN leaked or broke the embargo (may have, idk). They may have gotten exclusive rights to release some of the info early. We're supposed to get a ViDoc at 10am PST though.

Ok thanks, because I had to close the IGN video when it became clear that it was all speculation based on the concept art.

Cartman86

Banned

Giantbomb guys said IGN gets a half hour head start to post their thing. IGN website confirms this (9:30 AM).

derFeef

They will start their coverage half an hour earlier than anyone else (as heard on Giantbomb live show). Maybe that's part of this "early" coverage.

edit: dammit Cartman ;)

MarkusRJR

Looks awesome but I'll make an opinion once I see actual gameplay. Some interesting games look completely different from their concept art (eg. Epic Mickey). Not saying this will be a similar situation but I'll wait and see.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The court documents always showed 360/PS3, but next gen exclusive on the 720 for the first game afaik.

The court docs said it would be timed exclusive for 360 (and Durango, I guess). The PS3 version shipping a year later.

Sounds like maybe that's changed if they're announcing both 360 and PS3 versions simultaneously.

The art work is beautiful. Until Reach however, Bungie had serious problems modeling humans. So we'll have to see what this looks like.

GavinGT

Banned
I doubt IGN would break an important embargo like this. This sounds like information IGN has obtained separately from what's being announced in a few hours.

Jeff Gerstmann specifically said IGN had some sort of brief exclusive on the Destiny unveiling. I'm not sure if this is their exclusive, or if IGN gets to run the upcoming story early, or what.

meta4

I doubt IGN would break an important embargo like this. This sounds like information IGN has obtained separately from what's being announced in a few hours.

Jeff Gerstmann specifically said IGN had some sort of brief exclusive on the Destiny unveiling. I'm not sure if this is their exclusive, or if IGN gets to run the upcoming story early, or what.

It's not showing up in their site so obviously that IGN vid did break embargo.

That would suck a fter all they hype they build up - and Bungie vidocs usually contain some form of ingame moments.

Yeah. I hope I am wrong.

Time will tell but that's not a big deal to me, my main concern was the multiplayer focus of the game. I'm not into MMOs at all and I hate the F2P model with a passion.
One time fee + no subscription sounds good to me.

I am kind of concerned as well. The always connected thing makes me worry that the story will be throw away material. I hope I am wrong but all this world building without proper story telling would be disappointing. We will know soon enough I suppose.

Cartman86

Banned
IGN's reveal is a live show with two editors. Who knows if they are just talking about what they saw or if they got the video too.

Lol, didn't IGN also accidently leak five Halo 4 maps as well?

Oh well, our win, their loss. You can't even trust these guys when you hand them concept art.

i-Lo

Star Wars meets Dark Souls meets Mass Effect.

Concepts look beautiful and makes me wonder if they debut the game on "future generation technology" today.

Hope it does launch on PS4 from the get-go. I'll be much more likely to give it a look in as Sony platforms are my 'main' console.

Art looks good.

That art is something else.

Glad there is at least going to be a next gen version.

Would love to see some cross platform play (probably not though)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Perhaps they obtained the information from other sources and thought it was safe to post, but then Bungie/Activision requested them to pull it.

They know too much

I know some of Bungie-GAF here chews threw ARG info or any info relegated tossed out by Bungie, that IGN dude knew too much

He knew very specific locales, terms, species (enemies)

I wouldn't be surprised if that IGN thing is like 4 minutes of the 6-8 minute Viddoc
2 minutes will be in gameplay in 15 second burst (Glorious Gifs)
2 minutes of developers looking at camera telling you what is taking place that IGN already blubbered

Dreaver

The information sounds good and the art style is pretty dope. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm glad that Bungie left the Halo franchise, so they can use their skills to develop a new ip. They're such a talented studio.

meta4

They know too much

I know some of Bungie-GAF here chews threw ARG info or any info relegated tossed out by Bungie, that IGN dude knew too much

He knew very specific locales, terms, species (enemies)

I wouldn't be surprised if that IGN thing is like 4 minutes of the 6-8 minute Viddoc
2 minutes will be in gameplay in 15 second burst (Glorious Gifs)
2 minutes of developers looking at camera telling you what is taking place that IGN already blubbered

I hope its not 2 minutes of 360/PS3 footage. If the idiots at Activision had atleast confirmed it for PC they could have shown PC footage and amazed everyone without having to answer any next gen console questions if the footage looked good.

Cartman86

Banned
Perhaps they obtained the information from other sources and thought it was safe to post, but then Bungie/Activision requested them to pull it.

Nah it's totally a fuck up leak. The guy says in the video to visit IGN right now and in the future for more details. Plus through the entire thing he gives concrete information such as saying it's both co-op and competitive. All while pointing out that he asked Bungie people about certain things in the concept art. Don't think he would be able to talk about his Bungie visit if it was from other sources.

Derrick01

Banned
The concept art looks pretty cool but it's a shame it's being wasted on yet another multiplayer/MMO-ish shooter. Such wasted potential.

Nah it's totally a fuck up leak. The guy says in the video to visit IGN right now and in the future for more details. Plus through the entire thing he gives concrete information such as saying it's both co-op and competitive. All while pointing out that he asked Bungie people about certain things in the concept art. Don't think he would be able to talk about his Bungie visit if it was from other sources.

Doesn't necessarily pertain to all the info we will get tomorrow today. Polygon visited Bungie back in January. I'm sure other sites did the same. I believe some of this stuff was embargoed from then on. There's no way they had a bunch of press fly out to their studios on Tuesday/Wednesday for a handful of concept art. That's just madness. McCaffrey (the guy in the video) posted on twitter that he just got done doing a 2400 word article on Destiny. From 10 concept art images? Highly doubt that.

Bungie always have gameplay (however rough around the edges) in their ViDocs. I expect more meat in the hours to come, this is just a taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom