• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Concept Art Analysis - IGN [360/PS3/"Future Gen", No Port Whining]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
For the 600 time, MMO like features doesnt mean its an MMO.

It's just as bad though as there are very few MMO features worth copying in traditional SP or MP games. Really the only thing MMO should mean for MP are very large battles, that's it. Progression systems or loot or anything else from a MMO should stay in that creatively bankrupt genre.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So is Bungie not releasing any actual footage / in game shots today?

Thats disappointing. Hopefully the Vid-doc has some more info though.

not sure why people think that. i'd imagine ign released this video as a preview of content we'll get soon. this is what they are allowed to talk about. the vidoc will most certainly have gameplay or at least in engine footage

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Keep in mind those were very generic labels used to describe them on a basic level to the press. You could break down the enemies in Halo in a similar way if you really wanted to. I'm sure there will be more to the enemies then just being time traveling robots and space zombies.
This is true. I guess I shouldn't take them so literally, but I'm not a fan of those tropes in general. Never liked the Flood as space zombies either.

Some of the art is incredible, others are not. I love the artwork of Mars and that "garden". I hope Bungie will accomplish to catch that tune in-game.

Furthermore I am worried about the Story or how the story is implemented in the game. A game like this, I wish a story implementation like Halo. I mean a real story with cutscenes etc. But one thing I am pretty sure it will be in the game is the fictional background information. I hope we will get Terminals like in Halo 3. :)

Another thing I fear is the netcode. The game is coop-heavy. Reach's coop netcode wasn't great. So I still have the fear, it won't be that great either. On the other hand, co-op is a much bigger thing in Destiny, then it was in Halo: Reach.

I like that Bungie is using our solar system.
Yes. I like it too.

peraudaciaadmabel.gif

Wow! Fantastic, mysterious environments. The "Citadel" and "Hellmaw" are probably my favorite two pieces of concept art.

Different alien factions is something I didn't think about, just the (unmentioned) factions that we all know of already. Should've known there'd be different types of aliens, with Marathon and Halo. I guess I thought fighting one collective was assumed after the Pfhor and Covenant.

Classes seem cool, and I love stealth games, so I'm leaning towards Hunter... but can't really say anything until more abilities and any weapon restrictions are revealed.

Take all of my money/day zero/etc.
ZAYNE! ZAYNE! YOU ARE BACK! ZAYNE! :D

I am worried how the different class will influence the level design. I mean, you need paths for the Hunter class so she can sneak etc.

No PC? No PS4? "MMOish"? I'll pass, thanks.
Someone did not read the OP... IGN stated it will come out on future technology consoles...

I can't wait to see in engine footage. Could this be our first look ever at next gen power? One would assume we're going to be seeing either Durango or Orbis footage here.

ElRenoRaven

This is true. I guess I shouldn't take them so literally, but I'm not a fan of those tropes in general. Never liked the Flood as space zombies either.

I'm a freak. I actually really liked the flood except pure ranged forms in Halo 3. They really kind of gave me a space zombie vibe too. Maybe these will be extremely slow space Zombies this time? lol

bj00rn_

Banned
As always Bungie-originated concept art is beautiful.

But is it really necessary to ruin everything with wasting this aura on some useless garbage MMO-thingy? F that. I'd rather buy another soul-less Halo game from 343..

But ok, let's see what it is before I kill myself :)

Izayoi

Banned
not sure why people think that. i'd imagine ign released this video as a preview of content we'll get soon. this is what they are allowed to talk about. the vidoc will most certainly have gameplay or at least in engine footage
Yup. We will definitely see some kind of in-engine footage, even if it's just a glimpse.

But is it really necessary to ruin everything with wasting this aura on a fucking some useless garbage MMO-thingy?
Do you know what "MMO" means? An MMO doesn't have to be like WoW.

pants

Please no borderlands. Let's have PSO meets Demon's Souls.

I've played PSO for 10+ years and have finished Borderlands 1 and 2 more that two times per character. Curious what you think the major differences between PSO and Borderlands are?

lucius

The aliens look cool not much else I can tell so far, Halo:CE & Halo3 are still my favorite games from them, I use to play Marathon on a Mac before they hit the big times with Halo franchise, hope Destiny is ace.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yup. We will definitely see some kind of in-engine footage, even if it's just a glimpse.

Do you know what "MMO" means? An MMO doesn't have to be like WoW.

Yeah.., I played through and finished Dark Souls (AMAZING SP game btw) without being connected (other than the first and second time someone "invaded" me and ruined my SP-session that is..) :)

I cannot stand mandatory PVP in any shape or form in a SP-type-heavy environment. I'm somewhat open-minded, but nothing has convinced me yet, included Dark Souls.

But yeah, we'll see what happens, I haven't completely lost faith in this title - yet.

Stark

Banned
Amazing concept art and gameplay sounds really interesting right now. I'm really liking that we have other planets as visit-able locations.

ElRenoRaven

Except this might actually deliver on the promise of the concept because of the competence of the developer and the financial backing of the publisher.

Hell did Huxley ever even release? I remember looking at that game and being interested but it just disappeared.

Kev Kev

I really hope they go all out with the space travel in this game.

I want to actually enter my ship, fire it up, take off into space (a la Long Night of Solace in Halo: Reach), kick it into warp speed and be able to fuck around on my ship while traveling to my next destination (as opposed to just hitting a loading screen when I want to travel to another planet).

I know that probably won't happen and in reality might be terrible for game play but little things like that really make me feel like I'm in the game world (in this case galaxy). Bungie has never let me down and I'm sure they're going to hit a home run with this one. I just really hope they put some time into creating a sci-fi universe that you can explore instead of one that just makes you blow shit up and get head shots before you move onto the next mission/planet.

It's just as bad though as there are very few MMO features worth copying in traditional SP or MP games. Really the only thing MMO should mean for MP are very large battles, that's it. Progression systems or loot or anything else from a MMO should stay in that creatively bankrupt genre.

Progression systems and loot didn't start in MMOs. You know that. They are both powerful motivators for a large percentage of players, and next-gen there is going to be a pretty big focus on keeping the players attention in your product. To that end, these type of systems coupled with steady released of new content will become somewhat normal among AAA releases.

I understand that not everyone is tempted by carrot on a stick stuff, but it's a pretty easy thing to put in that is based on some pretty basic human psychology that a majority of gamers seem to be drawn to (see the numbers for CoD multiplayer.)

Dirtbag

Progression systems and loot didn't start in MMOs. You know that. They are both powerful motivators for a large percentage of players, and next-gen there is going to be a pretty big focus on keeping the players attention in your product. To that end, these type of systems coupled with steady released of new content will become somewhat normal among AAA releases.

I understand that not everyone is tempted by carrot on a stick stuff, but it's a pretty easy thing to put in that is based on some pretty basic human psychology that a majority of gamers seem to be drawn to (see the numbers for CoD multiplayer.)

I've got no problems with carrot on a stick gaming in campaigns... for me it just really bothers me with MP unlocks that aren't purely aesthetic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Last negative nancy comment, I SWEAR:

Kinda disappointed there are no OMGWTFBBQ cool guns, they all look standard fare and issue across all races in the game. Hopefully the ViDoc shows otherwise. I'd at least want to see one cool weapon in the initial reveal rather than an abundance of future assault rifles.

titan looks very awesome. Like the next masterchief. I hope they have swords for quick kills. Some Character customization would be nice too and this game would be perfect.

Dahbomb

Kinda disappointed there are no OMGWTFBBQ cool guns, they all look standard fare and issue across all races in the game. Hopefully the ViDoc shows otherwise. I'd at least want to see one cool weapon in the initial reveal rather than an abundance of future assault rifles.
Son plz

Just wait until the trailer, it will blow your socks off. No point in trying to extrapolate quality of game from concept arts, in 2 hours you will see the real shit.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I predict a game that will be coop masterpiece with bosses/dungeons that will test the mettle of many, frustrate more, and continue on in circulation after new consoles are released. It will be an homage to those games such as World of Warcraft and Battlefield where online bonds were formed with epic shared experiences of gaming bliss.

Stark

Banned

Dude, it's concept art. They aren't going to have just those weapons and the only weapons set in stone.

I've got no problems with carrot on a stick gaming in campaigns... for me it just really bothers me with MP unlocks that aren't purely aesthetic.

I can understand that in competitive MP, for sure. Even though it didn't ship this way because I left and changes were made, I was doing the unlocks for GR:FS MP and made it a point to keep it balanced across the board. You weren't unlocking power so much as you were unlocking utility. By the end of your first MP match, win or lose, you were supposed to have received your classes "major differentiater" equipment, because I understood there was an inherent frustration associated with losing multiple times and not feeling as though you had any chance to succeed due to people having invested more time than you. As I said though, I left and that all got switched around.

Sojgat

112813.jpg

This is the one I love. The Warlock is just wasting those predator zombie things with space magic. Fuck guns. This looks awesome.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Son plz

Just wait until the trailer, it will blow your socks off. No point in trying to extrapolate quality of game from concept arts, in 2 hours you will see the real shit.

So you've seen it already?

*facepalm*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom