• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny has its first level 30 character - 107hrs over 3 characters

ironcreed

Banned
cf2eb.jpg

Congrats for making it that far.

cad-20140915-bcc17.png

No low level has that white shader though. The cloak too.

Nah, new events launched today, and everything is refreshed so he may level new classes or stock up on materials and keep upgrading/searching for loot. You are a Diablo player, you know how it is. Efficiency, and there's also a great pvp mode.

Didn't we come to a consensus that IT IS a mediocre game? (Is not a bad thing and is perfectly fine that some people love it)

Ploid 3.0

Diablo 3 has come a long way.

The middle reminds me of loot splosion in Marvel Heroes.

Didn't we come to a consensus that IT IS a mediocre game? (Is not a bad thing and is perfectly fine that some people love it)

I saw some people express that opinion. Some people obviously like the game if they are still playing it. It seem the most complaints are about the story of the game. Those people may have expected something epic like CoD's campaign or Halo, but instead they got the multiplayer story bits that are kinda like a multiplayer rpg like Diablo (cutscene then go kill stuff).

For such a high level character, he looks pretty boring and not all that different from how you look at the lower levels. I guess I just expected a bit more... awesomeness.

foXqylN.png

Is there only one Raid Gear Set per class? If so, this is pretty lackluster and disappointing considering it is the only way to get level 30 gear currently.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
cad-20140915-bcc17.png

Who is "we". There is an entire thread (on it's fourth iteration) of people who would disagree.

Also the loot comparisons are so silly (and a bit dishonest).

Who is "we". There is an entire thread (on it's fourth iteration) of people who would disagree.

when I said WE I was talking about the majority. Like you said, the Review thread is a perfect example of that. A lot of people would disagree, a lot of people would say that is pure shit. That happen with all the games. But the majority will say that it is just average, and it's ok.

Also the loot comparisons are so silly (and a bit dishonest).

It's just a joke. But all those games are loot based games. Why is "dishonest" comparing that?
D3 gives you a lot of loot, but maybe none of them are useful. At least you can sell it or salvage it for crafting materials or enchants.
The same with BD: Money, a lot.

I think the only wall you face to reach 30 is the ascendant material if not everyone stuck in 27 would reach that level pretty easy

nib95

Banned

More like…

xdt0ttxycgzpgxylwzvj.gif

Assuming farming in Diablo doesn't mean a super rare item every few minutes…Main problem with Destiny regarding loot is that most Legendary engrams don't even turn in to Legendary items, but by the same token it means Legendary and Exotic gear is a lot rarer and more sought after than normal. But Destiny doesn't need to be farmed. There are lots of things in place to make Legendary items viable through normal play (marks and reputation).

Is there really any argument here? Titans got all of the cool looking armor. Warlocks and Hunters get garbage. At least capes look cool. Warlocks get to choose between jackets with one strap or two. I chose one strap.

Speak for yourself, I love the look of my Warlock.

Pkqmd2zl.png

and that's an old pic before I got my exotic gauntlets.

Diablo III RoS is a joke, lots of legendaries and yellow stuff always so you can get spoiled of always get shiny loot in other games

Orayn

More like…

xdt0ttxycgzpgxylwzvj.gif

Assuming farming in Diablo doesn't mean a super rare item every few minutes…Main problem with Destiny regarding loot is that most Legendary engrams don't even turn in to Legendary items, but by the same token it means Legendary and Exotic gear is a lot rarer and more sought after than normal. But Destiny doesn't need to be farmed. There are lots of things in place to make Legendary items viable through normal play (marks and reputation).

Huge loot piles like that don't really happen in Destiny outside of intentional farming, though. My experience with level 20 strikes and heroic story missions has generally been along the lines of 8-10 green items that'll get instantly disassembled if they're armor or put in a maybe-pile if they're weapons with interesting affixes, and about 3-4 blue engrams that will probably wind up giving me one usable weapon or possibly a single slight armor upgrade.

For reference, my most played character is a level 23 Hunter with about 25 hours, and I've never acquired a single legendary or exotic item from loot or Cryptarch rewards. I've got one of the 65-mark armor pieces from my Vanguard, but that's it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
when I said WE I was talking about the majority. Like you said, the Review thread is a perfect example of that. A lot of people would disagree, a lot of people would say that is pure shit. That happen with all the games. But the majority will say that it is just average, and it's ok.

The review thread ended. The thread with people actually playing the game is still going. Not sure what this majority is or how you've calculated it.

Orayn said:
Huge loot piles like that don't really happen in Destiny outside of intentional farming, though.

Which is exactly what D3 Rifts are. I can jump on D3 right now for an hour and farm rifts and have the exact same luck (meaning none at all) of getting the gear I need to progress as someone in Destiny. People keep acting like if you just fire up D3 you're going to get the gear/mats you need to progress to next tier of torments, which is nonsense.

lyrick

More like…

xdt0ttxycgzpgxylwzvj.gif

as long as you don't mind not playing until the caps reset next week...

The review thread ended. The thread with people actually playing the game is still going. Not sure what this majority is or how you've calculated it.

Which is exactly what D3 Rifts are. I can jump on D3 right now for an hour and farm rifts and have the exact same luck (meaning none at all) of getting the gear I need to progress as someone in Destiny. People keep acting like if you just fire up D3 you're going to get the gear/mats you need to progress to next tier of torments, which is nonsense.

If you jump into a greater rift you will get something that can be applied to progression, even if it is a lowly forgotten soul (which you could get from normal rifts most the time anyway). In Diablo 3 you are always progressing due to the paragon system. If you actually play for rifts or what have you you will always be progressing due to the ability to reroll or craft.

Destiny doesn't have anything comparable, you can get legitimately stuck and screwed by Destiny RNG for large chunks of time due to the design.

Maybe because there is no new reviews? Anyway, I never said that people isn't playing it. I am playing it, a lot. That doesn't mean that is not a average game. Almost all the reviewers, almost everyone in the review thread, and almost every Destiny thread that is not the Vault Of Glass or the OT said the same. Maybe we looked at different threads. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

Why people need to argue that? I found Resident Evil 5 an amazing game and better than RE4 and I don't care what others says.

Orayn

If you jump into a greater rift you will get something that can be applied to progression, even if it is a lowly forgotten soul (which you could get from normal rifts most the time anyway). In Diablo 3 you are always progressing due to the paragon system. If you actually play for rifts or what have you you will always be progressing due to the ability to reroll or craft.

Destiny doesn't have anything comparable, you can get legitimately stuck and screwed by Destiny RNG for large chunks of time due to the design.

Technically you're always gaining motes of light, which you can turn into exotic engrams when Xur is available, but yeah, Destiny's progression is still pretty uneven and RNG-dependent. Their decision to apply personalized "smart loot" to the random green and white items but not the engrams or strike rewards is especially baffling, since it introduces an increasing chance of disappointment on the loot that should matter the most.

Xenon

Am I the only person that thinks there should be a happy medium. Too much loot is just as bad as not enough. D3 showers you will drops to the point where I don't even want to bother looking through it all. Then you have the fact that each item can have so many different stat bonuses, I end up feeling like an accountant every time I go through my inventory. The whole system seems contrived to keep tickling people's needs to strike a "jackpot!" I have a L14 Legendary boots. There is nothing legendary about something that is level 14.

Orayn

Nope.

Its objevtively medicore

Tell me more of your objective opinions.

Am I the only person that thinks there should be a happy medium. Too much loot is just as bad as not enough. D3 showers you will drops to the point where I don't even want to bother looking through it all. Then you have the fact that each item can have so many different stat bonuses, I end up feeling like an accountant every time I go through my inventory. The whole system seems contrived to keep tickling people's needs to strike a "jackpot!" I have a L14 Legendary boots. There is nothing legendary about something that is level 14.

It's always a very hard thing to balance. I can't really speak to the spreadsheet aspect since that's part of the appeal of endgame Diablo for some people, but the overall idea is to provide players with lots of opportunities for new and interesting upgrades that could improve or change the way they play, without making it feel like a tiresome grind or constantly bombarding them with information that's hard to sort through.

Different games attempt to achieve that balance in different ways. For Diablo III, the crafting system ensures that even a useless item can contribute to making a new useful one or re-rolling the stats on another item that's good but not great. In Destiny, they tried to make loot drops more relevant by limiting the range of upgrades that can appear, but they made some critical missteps in the overall drop rate and the difficulty of actually getting something that's better than your current gear.

Xenon

It's always a very hard thing to balance. I can't really speak to the spreadsheet aspect since that's part of the appeal of endgame Diablo for some people, but the overall idea is to provide players with lots of opportunities for new and interesting upgrades that could improve or change the way they play, without making it feel like a tiresome grind or constantly bombarding them with information that's hard to sort through.

Different games attempt to achieve that balance in different ways. For Diablo III, the crafting system ensures that even a useless item can contribute to making a new useful one or re-rolling the stats on another item that's good but not great. In Destiny, they tried to make loot drops more relevant by limiting the range of upgrades that can appear, but they made some critical missteps in the overall drop rate and the difficulty of actually getting something that's better than your current gear.

I agree it's a fine line. But I feel like people's expectations are a bit out of whack expecting a guarantee of epic loot every time they play. I feel like pulling the old man line out. "Back in the PSO days you grinded for weeks for a Meteor Cannon and liked it, Dag nabbit!"

Top Bottom