• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

Might be like duh, but for peeps using the Nighthawk, drop Combustion imo. Its mostly a boss killer and combustion is useless then anyway. Go for the shorter GG cooldown.

I like this helmet, i mean I was stoked when I got Arachnid on launch day... but then... the fucking horror. Nighthawk is actually good.

Will be fun with Solar burn bosses. I also wonder how much damage it does on Atheon.

REALLY hoping to magically pick that up from an engram today. I'd kill for those Peregrine Boots too.

And read the thread. Plenty of people have stated they've had bad experiences with mm on PoE. And again: if you've ever plaued any kind of game with mm for harder content for an extended period of time, you'll have run into the kinds of players that make mm for that type of content a bad idea.

I've had nothing but great experiences with matchmade games in Destiny. I've had one or two strikes where someone was AFK. But whatever, I still have another person to help, and it's better than the alternative. I even had one game where two people were AFK. I simply quit and started a new game and had two awesome teammates.

Matchmaking should be opt-in for every game type in Destiny. If people don't like it, then don't use it. But don't remove the option for people who genuinely appreciate it. I have a more than full time job and play games to relax. I shouldn't have to organize my own party of teammates when I just want to blow off steam and shoot space aliens.

I received this one as well. Looking forward to trying out the golden gun perk, specially on atheon.

And holy crap the RNG has been tweaked for the HoW, I now have too many legendaries and exotics. Not a bad thing, but 12+ in a few days.

Yeah it's been a literal loot bonanza all week!

And read the thread. Plenty of people have stated they've had bad experiences with mm on PoE. And again: if you've ever plaued any kind of game with mm for harder content for an extended period of time, you'll have run into the kinds of players that make mm for that type of content a bad idea.

Okay, and other people would be okay with having some bad experiences to get to a good one. Options. They're good to have.

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay, and other people would be okay with having some bad experiences to get to a good one. Options. They're good to have.

A much better option would be a proper LFG system. And MM would be a bad idea alongside it as it would dilute the players from the LFG pool making it less effective.

I've had nothing but great experiences with matchmade games in Destiny. I've had one or two strikes where someone was AFK. But whatever, I still have another person to help, and it's better than the alternative. I even had one game where two people were AFK. I simply quit and started a new game and had two awesome teammates.

Matchmaking should be opt-in for every game type in Destiny. If people don't like it, then don't use it. But don't remove the option for people who genuinely appreciate it. I have a more than full time job and play games to relax. I shouldn't have to organize my own party of teammates when I just want to blow off steam and shoot space aliens.

I and others have had plenty of poor experiences with MM. Read this thread, lots of people giving examples.

I've seen AFK, had leavers, players who had no sea what they were doing and weren't us of the mic so couldn't be guided. And it's happened enough to sour the experience.

Matchmaking should only ever be an option for casual and easy content that doesn't require experience or time commitment.

They need a proper, superior, LFG system that would give you exactly what you would get from MM (groups found quickly in game) PLUS the ability to actively choose your group based on your personal preference.

I have no idea why anyone would want MM over a proper LFG system, reading a list of groups and scrolling through to choose one that suits you would take minutes at most and hardly any effort and would improve your experience greatly. It would remove many of the issues that many of us have found with MM. And it's obvious why the two wouldn't work together (as explained above).

MM has many negative aspects too. It's not a perfect solition. It's not always the best answer.

Saying "it would be ok because it would be optional" doesn't change this.

I had a terrible experience with MM earlier today on the weekly Strike. I had two people 34, and 33. So you know that they're not new people.

But we got all the way to the Archon Priest area and they just kept getting killed by extremely reckless. So we wiped 4 times before even getting by the archon priest to spawn. I left after the 4th time. I got the medic thing so many times.

Also if anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free. It's Hoffelcopter. I'm usually down to do anything.

I got 'The Ram' helmet today from an engram. That is the sweetest looking helmet in the game if you ask me. That and the crota Warlock helm are my favorite two armor pieces in the game.

A much better option would be a proper LFG system. And MM would be a bad idea alongside it as it would dilute the players from the LFG pool making it less effective.

I and others have had plenty of poor experiences with MM. Read this thread, lots of people giving examples.

I've seen AFK, had leavers, players who had no sea what they were doing and weren't us of the mic so couldn't be guided. And it's happened enough to sour the experience.

I understand that sucks. But, the alternative for me is not being able to play. I would rather have the OPTION to matchmake than not have the option. You can continue using LFG to basically manually do matchmaking, and everyone else can enjoy matchmaking.

BTW when you report people for being AFK it often causes them to be kicked in my experience (or maybe they just coincidentally quit). And if you have people who leave, just wait a minute and someone will be joined in.

I basically solo'ed most of the nightfall yesterday because I couldn't find anyone to play with. It was an extremely miserable experience, and I would have killed to have even terrible players if they could just revive me when I die occasionally instead of being sent to orbit.

Zakalwe

Banned
I understand that sucks. But, the alternative for me is not being able to play. I would rather have the OPTION to matchmake than not have the option. You can continue using LFG to basically manually do matchmaking, and everyone else can enjoy matchmaking.

BTW when you report people for being AFK it often causes them to be kicked in my experience (or maybe they just coincidentally quit). And if you have people who leave, just wait a minute and someone will be joined in.

I basically solo'ed most of the nightfall yesterday because I couldn't find anyone to play with. It was an extremely miserable experience, and I would have killed to have even terrible players if they could just revive me when I die occasionally instead of being sent to orbit.

I'm talking about a LFG system /in game/.

This would be a superior system and something they should work on instead of just lazily adding MM for endgame content which would add as many problems as it solves.

-

Also the alternative for you is not be in unable to play.

Add friends from the OT. Build up a list of active players. Get to know them over time. Use the OT ahead of time to book people in for when you'll be home.

I guarantee you, 100%, your experiences in raids and PoE and all more difficult content will be superior this way to those found via MM.

Oh sure, in game LFG would be great. However it would require development time, and it has always seemed like Bungie was very limited on how much time they spent on that in the past (like the heavy ammo bug going without a fix for a very long time). It's much more likely for them just to enable a feature that already exists, which they have already done for the weekly heroic.

I would support turning on matchmaking first (opt-in) and then adding an LFG system as that would most likely take more time.

And regarding your edit, yes I have added people and do play with people. I probably have over a hundred people that I don't know that I played with once or twice in my friends list. It's hard to even find my actual friends in there now (had to mark them as favorites). It takes a lot of time to build up relationships with these people to where they will trust you and want to play with you. And then they frequently quit playing. It's a lot of wasted time for something the game could easily do for me. I have 50+ raid completions and almost all of them have been with different groups of people.

Oh sure, in game LFG would be great. However it would require development time, and it has always seemed like Bungie was very limited on how much time they spent on that in the past (like the heavy ammo bug going without a fix for a very long time). It's much more likely for them just to enable a feature that already exists, which they have already done for the weekly heroic.

I would support turning on matchmaking first (opt-in) and then adding an LFG system as that would most likely take more time.

And regarding your edit, yes I have added people and do play with people. I probably have over a hundred people that I don't know that I played with once or twice in my friends list. It's hard to even find my actual friends in there now (had to mark them as favorites). It takes a lot of time to build up relationships with these people to where they will trust you and want to play with you. And then they frequently quit playing. It's a lot of wasted time for something the game could easily do for me. I have 50+ raid completions and almost all of them have been with different groups of people.

You should really venture over to the Destiny GAF Community board. You will never have problems finding people to play with and most of these guys and girls in that community are still playing from launch. It's honestly the best time I have had with this game and probably in all my time playing co-op games, destiny plus the DGAF community make it such a great game to be part of. Especially now since HOW just came out.

I have posted in there several times. I've ever only got one person to join. Probably because I'm Xbox One and most posters are on PS4.

Yah most users are ps4 on that board BUT the xb1 community is growing on there. There is a official list of xb1 users you should sign up for.

BTW sorry for derailing, I'm just very passionate about wanting matchmaking or a way to find players in the game.

Back on topic is this not the most awesome scout rifle?

kGEUbS5.png

It also has explosive rounds and small bore (more range + stability, slower reload) in the middle perk.

BTW sorry for derailing, I'm just very passionate about wanting matchmaking or a way to find players in the game.

kGEUbS5.png

It also has explosive rounds and small bore (more range + stability, slower reload) in the middle perk.

Omg firefly is in the reroll tables?! And I thought mine was great... Congrats!

EloquentM

aka Mannny

kGEUbS5.png

It's beautiful.

cakely

kGEUbS5.png

Very nice, though I honestly like the slower firing, higher impact SRs better.

Badger CCL was the best one so far, but Hygiea Noblesse I got is a decent substitute. I re-rolled it until I got firefly, high caliber rounds and luck in the chamber. Full auto isn't my style. :)

Zakalwe

Banned

kGEUbS5.png

Mine has

"Rapidly landing precision hits will return one bullet to the magazine"
And
"This weapon gains better target acquisition".

Not unlocked them yet but it sounds quite promising.

Mine has

And

I really would have liked to try hidden hand, and if I rolled it with firefly before I got this one I probably would have kept it. Yours sounds pretty awesome.

hiryu

In addition to LFG I'd recommend joining the100.io - basically you enter what times you usually play and what kind of player you are and it puts you into a group based on that criteria with 99 other guardians. I've been on there since day one as a moderator for Charlie Company 764 (the100.io/groups/89) and have a fantastic group who I play with every week. You can schedule games in advance, everyone gets to know each other - it's really great.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It sounds great. Also, the game should have opt-in matchmaking for all activities but the community does have some good work arounds.

Zakalwe

Banned
I really would have liked to try hidden hand, and if I rolled it with firefly before I got this one I probably would have kept it. Yours sounds pretty awesome.

It sounds good on paper, will report back when I've tested it.

One thing that really bothers me about re-rolling is the sight RNG. My first roll had an amazing mid range sprightly with a green holo reticle. I forget what it was called. I lost it when I rolled. :(

Luckily i managed to score Ranged Lens RLS3 which probably suits this set up more, but I do wish sights were something you could choose independently.

sh1fty

I got a similar scout rifle from a dead orbit package :) It currently has the Smallbore perk as well which increases Range and Stability with a penalty to Mag Size and Reload.

iG9hME.jpg

cakely

Mine has

And

If you don't like the perks on your gun, reroll them at the gunsmith before you start leveling the gun up. It costs glimmer, a mote of light, and gun parts. You got "hidden hand", which sounds pretty great. :)

Zakalwe

Banned
If you don't like the perks on your gun, reroll them at the gunsmith before you start leveling the gun up. It costs glimmer, a mote of light, and gun parts. You got "hidden hand", which sounds pretty great. :)

I'm aware, evident from my posts above discussing the re-roll system :p

BokehKing

Banned

kGEUbS5.png

Got the same perks on another scout rifle with a higher rate of fire, it does major damage in PoE and the Crucible

Deadman

Did trials with my friend + a random from lfg and we went 9-1 (9-2 but the buff took a loss away). Got my warlock up to 34. I think its definitely the best pvp mode in destiny so far.

Thorn is broken as fuck.

Harlock

I stoped playing at level 22. Never did any raid. Never played any expansion. Never did anything high level related in Destiny.

Would be worth get only this expansion or wait for Destiny 2?

dubq

Wait, there is no matchmaking for the other three levels of the Prison of Elders? Come the fuck on with this shit, Bungie.

robo

My lotp has full auto, with hidden hand, middle tear is armour piercing or explosive rounds or casket mag.

Demon Ice

Banned
Best day ever. Bought 5 engrams from Xur. First 3 turn into the new Exotic helms, 4th turns into the Mask of the Third Man that I've been wanting for my Hunter. My Warlock looks freaking sick with the Ram helm. And my team did three full Trials of Osiris passages undefeated.

Loving this new expansion.

Coming back to this game after stopping just before TDB. Wonder how long it'll take for me to catch up... I have 3 level 29 characters.

Looking forward to it.

FyreWulff

my review of this dlc.

They're definitely listening to the feedback. House of Wolves' cadence is much better than the shipping game, and the story missions are starting to feel more like classic Bungie.

Story Missions

- a lot more interesting this time, and a lot more logical progression instead of just "go here, now go here, over there now". Developer wise the 'training' is a lot more apparent. If people are jumping into Destiny now, they also get more direct training towards the Vault of Glass mechanics. lol at interrupting the Fallen raiding the Vault, I liked that moment. Making a story mission part of a Patrol after getting your sidearm was pretty clever as well. Much more cohesive.

Cadence

- Was running the story missions with a friend. We started on the one near the Forgotten Shores (sorry, can't recall mission name offhand, been a long day). As we progressed through the story, a wolf pack showed up and we were tackling that with pubbies. Then halfway through that, a public event with the mining nodes showed up, and we all ran over and completed at the same time. Once that was finished, we continued on with the story. That was pretty cool and a lot closer to their original pitch to the public about Destiny, about doing your thing and then suddenly interacting with the public and then going back to your own thing. Patrol areas feel alive now, and that's the cadence of activity I prefer. Practically every story mission run we did, we want into a Wolves or Public Event. I only wish the Blades of Crota still had a chance to show up to make it feel like factions are moving against each other, and make the world feel completely alive.

- misc

Was cool to see a Fallen speak. Also dat new music

- Developer feedback

From what I can tell they let people that haven't paid yet feel more of a taste of the DLC than with Crota, which gives people a better impression over the events and makes them more likely to actually want the DLC.

- Criticisms

Prison of Elders is the return to Firefight I've been wanting (and it just so happens we're almost to ODST re-releasing on the One WITHOUT Firefight :( ). However, I wish it was more fast paced. Having to return to the airlock and wait for the speech each time is great for story immersion, but if you're re-running this it's going to get annoying. speed up the wait time between waves kthnx.

Also, the Fallen announcer needs more lines. Get the actor back in and record some more, he repeats himself a lot.

The amount of materials is getting insane and there's not enough slots to manage them all. Bungie, please start using the Mission tab for the Story and Wanted bounties to free up our bounty slots for the other bounties. Right now the Mission tab is basically unused. Or give mats their own special category and slot (world mats, raid mats,etc) or just count them like marks/currency. It's getting to be a bit of work to deal with them.

Your ghost is completely silent again. To the point I almost jumped when he said something during a public event. I understand if this is a timing issue with bringing Dinklage in for lines, but if you get him in the studio again.. have him do some lines for Crota and HoW and patch those in.

I felt there could have been at least 3-4 more story missions for what was paid. Bungie is getting better at doing the story missions, so I want more of them. And then it feels like it's over as soon as you start. Next DLC should have twice the missions of this DLC for the 20$. Or start putting out like, a new story mission per month for free to everyone to advance the story along. -something-.

People should be able to get DLC1 and vanilla armor from the Vendors after they own the DLC. I don't know why they haven't fixed this yet, it's really annoying that the more money you pay for DLC, the less armor selection you have to buy. I know you getting a wider selection of RNG drops but... c'mon son.

neutral:

The new Fallen classes would be cool to see integrated into vanilla/crota DLC missions. I actually got surprised by the new sniper and suicide Shanks, would like to see them sprinkled throughout the game now.

extremely positive:

The new Ascending system for armor and guns should let us see a LOT more variety of max level armor on characters. Wanna be 34 and wear your Vault armor? sure. Mix and match armor from Vanilla/Crota/Wolves? Go right ahead. Old armor and weapons are no longer obsolete. However, people should be able to ascend ANY armor so they can go full custom, even if the armor has crap stats otherwise.

Salvage appears to be a permanent playlist now. THANK YOU.

get LFG functionality inside of Destiny and some small but regular free story additions and the like and Destiny could have enough content to make it near impossible to daily cycle it anymore without killing yourself. They're on the path now, they just need to execute on it firmly.

I'm not having as much luck with loot like most people seem to be having. I went through 16 engrams and only 1 Eternal Warrior to show for it. Ran the 32 PoE and both of my friends got their second gjallarhorns and I don't even have one yet.

Woo! After two failed attempts I made it to 9 wins. Not a perfect run, but it sure as hell was fun anyway. I lucked out and got the fusion rifle in the tier 8 package. :3

jZ4JIbU.jpg

p6eazSX.jpg

hM6RUxO.jpg

Compsiox

Banned
Fuck Bungie and their cheap attempts at getting me to play longer. I haven't been able to get through one chamber in Prison 32 today mainly because I can't get teams. Give us the choice to play with randoms. Stop fucking limiting my content.

I'm done.

Fuck Bungie and their content blockades

Quick question about leveling post HOW:

I'm currently at Level 31 and I have maxed out armor from TDB. Does it make sense for me to use vanguard marks to buy new HOW armor from the Warlock vanguard because of the higher light level?

I understand that I can ascend the old stuff but I have no Etheric Light. I do have the Vanguard marks sitting in the bank. None of the vanguard weapons currently on sale look that great.

Quick question about leveling post HOW:

I'm currently at Level 31 and I have maxed out armor from TDB. Does it make sense for me to use vanguard marks to buy new HOW armor from the Warlock vanguard because of the higher light level?

I understand that I can ascend the old stuff but I have no Etheric Light. I do have the Vanguard marks sitting in the bank. None of the vanguard weapons currently on sale look that great.

If you have the marks then I say go ahead and get the new vanguard gear to accompany your ascended exotic gear and weapons just to get you to 33. You'll find that the level 28 and 32 PoE can be very challenging even if you're at light level 32 so every little bit helps.

Fuck Bungie and their cheap attempts at getting me to play longer. I haven't been able to get through one chamber in Prison 32 today mainly because I can't get teams. Give us the choice to play with randoms. Stop fucking limiting my content.

I'm done.

Fuck Bungie and their content blockades

Are you on Xbox One?

Top Bottom