• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

69 motes of light / 3 exotic helmet engrams / 3 titan helmets..........

I'm a Warlock

:(

Bought 6 engrams. Got 4 hunter helms, 1 Titan helm, and the A-Veil Warlock helm. Bahhhh. But! This was one of the hunter helms... One of my alts was somewhat happy (that stat roll ugh) with my warlock's woes lol.

6OC6Ban.jpg

fur people

c7tRzep.jpg

Mockerre

This is just a side effect of this genre of game. Doesn't matter if it's Bungie or Blizzard or whoever.

See my post above where I talk about this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164599455&postcount=519

Genres were not given to us by God on stone tablets ;) The publishers go were the money and, to a lesser degree, where mass critical reception is. Nobody thought about the MMO genre until it was here. It's 2015, we can move forward to better solutions ;)

There is matchimaking for the level 28 Prison which is more than enough in my eyes but not everyone feels the same way. Getting 2 other people together is much easier than 5 IMO.

I'm 31. Not a lot of my mates play games anymore; and those who do, don't have the dedication to reach the max levels. I mean, who does matchmaking harm exactly? How could it exactly worsen the game? Those who play with friends will play with friends; those who can't, would opt for matchaking, even it it's not 'the full experience'.

who does matchmaking harm exactly? How could it exactly worsen the game? Those who play with friends will play with friends; those who can't, would opt for matchaking, even it it's not 'the full experience'.

It doesn't let godly players try and solo high end activities. :p

I am not one of these players btw

Mockerre

Yep, completely agree. Random MM would be a mess with the high level content in Destiny. I'm sure Bungie has some LFG type system in the works, it's just a matter of whether or not they'll implement it in Comet or wait until Destiny 2.

It doesn't let godly players try and solo high end activities. :p

I am not one of these players btw

It would be an OPTION. Why are people against it? It's like right-wing politics - "we know better than you what is good for you". No you don't :D I'd rather have 3 people disconnect on me during the raid than not play the raid at all. Is it so difficult to grasp? ;)

It's not like it's a challenging task from a technical perspective to implement. Give the players an option to MM content or to choose fixed party. Make the fixed party the default if you want.

It would be an OPTION. Why are people against it? It's like right-wing politics - "we know better than you what is good for you". No you don't :D I'd rather have 3 people disconnect on me during the raid than not play the raid at all. Is it so difficult to grasp? ;)

It's not like it's a challenging task from a technical perspective to implement. Give the players an option to MM content or to choose fixed party. Make the fixed party the default if you want.

They don't need to add matchmaking when destinylfg works so well, though.

Meneses

Doesn't seem hard to just have two options:

Activity X, Y and Z with Matchmaking.
Activity X, Y and Z without Matchmaking.

Add some kind of warning about the content being hard and best tackled by a well organized group.

People know what they're getting into and will adapt their expectations accordingly.

Mockerre

They don't need to add matchmaking when destinylfg works so well, though.

Maybe for the US... Anyways, I (and probably more people), don't want to look for a group OUTSIDE of the environment of the game. I don't want to look at all. It's like online dating for gamers :D Just busywork. I just want to pop the game in and play all the content. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to do that. Especially when someone really good can solo the conent, making the argument of teamwork/need of communication invalid.

Zakalwe

Banned
I dont understand how LFG gives you a different "class" of player than MM...

You are just as likely to get people with no mics, no clue, etc.

Have MM which requires an active mic be connected perhaps.

Many people click on MM in a whim without considering the commitment required.

A LFG system requires a little extra effort that would weed out leant of those not really commited. It wouldn't be perfect, but generally people who use these systems are much more likely to be willing to complete the entire run.

If you've had any kind of experience with MM and LFG systems for endgame or difficult content it should be incredibly apparent.

Doesn't seem hard to just have two options:

Activity X, Y and Z with Matchmaking.
Activity X, Y and Z without Matchmaking.

Add some kind of warning about the content being hard and best tackled by a well organized group.

People know what they're getting into and will adapt their expectations accordingly.

Again, it's not as simple as just being an option. MM brings many inherent flaws, just because it can be used doesn't mean it should.

It's a great option for more casual content, sure.

The issues matchmaking brings to hard content could cause more harm than good. Many players who use it for their first experience would have their experience soured by mute/un cooperative players, leavers, trolls, people who have no idea what they're doing. If pvp and strikes are anything to go by, matchmade raids and horde would be a total clusterfuck.

An in game LFG system would not take long. A game as popular as Destiny, I would take minutes. Make a party and advertise with a brief message such as "experienced and commited players only" or "newbies welcome".

Then list. Let players browse the list and join a group that suits their preference

Done. Much better than random MM and with Destiny's active player base there will always be enough players online at any time that it will take minutes at most to find a group.

There are better solutions than random MM.

I agree that an in game LFG system would be ideal over matchmaking, but I also think the bolded excuse for not having matchmaking is bullshit. If anything, that experience would have the opposite effect where they'd be more likely to seek out pre-made groups in the future.

The problem with matchmaking is that some people will go in there and expect to be carried. There were 27s trying to do the 30 weekly heroics. They were basically useless and I had to carry them through.

Then you will get those who are the appropriate level but will AFK or hang back and do nothing of use.

I honestly would not want to touch any of the raids with an in game match made team. I have had some nightmare LFG encounters. However the option should still be there for people to use if they want. As long as there is an option to matchmake or not it doesn't hurt anyone. It may be a massively horrendous experience for those that use it, but that's the individuals choice

The problem with matchmaking is that some people will go in there and expect to be carried. There were 27s trying to do the 30 weekly heroics. They were basically useless and I had to carry them through.

Then you will get those who are the appropriate level but will AFK or hang back and do nothing of use.

I honestly would not want to touch any of the raids with an in game match made team. I have had some nightmare LFG encounters. However the option should still be there for people to use if they want. As long as there is an option to matchmake or not it doesn't hurt anyone. It may be a massively horrendous experience for those that use it, but that's the individuals choice

Agreed.

I'd be more than willing to go through 5 or even 10 attempts to get a good matchmake group together to run some content I haven't seen. Might get our asses kicked but who cares.

Don't see why so many would be against the option, unless it truly is because some high level people like to run these things solo.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok so just woke up and realized it's Xur Day! Let's see what we got this week....

1. No Backup Plans? Meh.

2. Radiant Dance Machines? Already have a pair that I never actually worn because I like my Symbiote helm too much.

3. Starfire Protocol? Bleh.

Man this Xur Day is looking pretty crappy so far. Not seeing anything goo...

4. FREAKING THE LAST WORD

:O :O :O :O :O

I know what I'm about to buy. Also, HoW stuff is dropping from the Exotic Engram? I want to try for some HoW stuff, but I'm scared it's going to be like Saint-14 and I don't even have Titan character lol.

hiryu

I bought two helm engrams this morning and got the ram, which is the only helm I wanted so I'm pretty happy about that. I have pretty good luck in this game involving anything except the Ghallahorn.

For those who struggle to find groups I really recommend www.destinylfg.net

I've had tons of good groups from doing nightfalls to raids and now PoE using it.

Laughlin

So it sounds like you can just skip Crota and go straight to this if you want? As someone who hasn't bought either expansions.

I bought two helm engrams this morning and got the ram, which is the only helm I wanted so I'm pretty happy about that. I have pretty good luck in this game involving anything except the Ghallahorn.

I've had tons of good groups from doing nightfalls to raids and now PoE using it.

In addition to LFG I'd recommend joining the100.io - basically you enter what times you usually play and what kind of player you are and it puts you into a group based on that criteria with 99 other guardians. I've been on there since day one as a moderator for Charlie Company 764 (the100.io/groups/89) and have a fantastic group who I play with every week. You can schedule games in advance, everyone gets to know each other - it's really great.

Zakalwe

Banned
I agree that an in game LFG system would be ideal over matchmaking, but I also think the bolded excuse for not having matchmaking is bullshit. If anything, that experience would have the opposite effect where they'd be more likely to seek out pre-made groups in the future.

Well, in my experience it isn't bullshit. I know players in MMOs such as Guild Wars, WoW, FFXIV, etc... Who gave up on certain content because of MM woe.

It happens, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums who would attest to it too.

purg3

slept with Malkin

I normally had good luck using it too, don't have much of a choice since I'm on xbox one, but I had a hard time getting in a group last night to do some nightfalls

Carl

Yeah fuck matchmaking. I was reading in the OT about people being matchmade on PoE and refusing to do the objectives. Useless.

Well, in my experience it isn't bullshit. I know players in MMOs such as Guild Wars, WoW, FFXIV, etc... Who gave up on certain content because of MM woe.

It happens, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums who would attest to it too.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that someone would completely refuse to do an activity in the future given the chance of grouping up, just because they had bad experiences with random groups. I almost never hear this excuse with any other game. I never hear "Screw X. It sucks because no one knows what they're doing." in the OT. I hear "Screw doing X with randoms". I mean I'm sure some exist, but that mentality is irrational and I think putting kid gloves on to cater to people like that is a terrible idea that holds the game back for the rest of us.

Zakalwe

Banned
It just doesn't make any sense to me that someone would completely refuse to do an activity in the future given the chance of grouping up, just because they had bad experiences with random groups. I almost never hear this excuse with any other game. I never hear "Screw X. It sucks because no one knows what they're doing." in the OT. I hear "Screw doing X with randoms". I mean I'm sure some exist, but that mentality is irrational and I think putting kid gloves on to cater to people like that is a terrible idea that holds the game back for the rest of us.

It doesn't hold it back at all. A LFG system would be the same thing minus the issues Mm brings.

MM = get a group almost instantly but lots of inherent problems. PoE 28 MM is evidence enough it's a bad idea.

LFG in a game with Destiny's active player base = get a group in minutes and reduces the issues with MM considerably.

If MM were there as an option alongside LFG it would reduce the amount of people using the LFG system, so having both would be detrimental.

MM is just a bad idea for anything but casual/easy modes.

Dunlop

What content remains challenging for the userbase 2 weeks after release?

Again don't use it, but why block others who want it?

You mentioned PoE,I had no issues with using a pug on 28, it was quite fun

Z3M0G

It's a different class of player because you're teaming up with someone dedicated to finishing the mission and you can communicate with. Random are horrible.

Besides these are 3 man events, which means the chance of you getting a full party increased tremendously because usually raids are 6

See I still don't get the difference.

As someone who begs for "matchmaking", getting a LFG tool is the exact same thing to me. It's a tool which will match me with other players who want to do the same activity as me and then launch us into the activity together.

Matchmaking = LFG

Everyone begging for Matchmaking are begging for either Matmaking or LFG, because they don't know the difference, or there is no difference.

Many people click on MM in a whim without considering the commitment required.

A LFG system requires a little extra effort that would weed out leant of those not really commited. It wouldn't be perfect, but generally people who use these systems are much more likely to be willing to complete the entire run.

If you've had any kind of experience with MM and LFG systems for endgame or difficult content it should be incredibly apparent.

Perhaps I don't because I can't visualize the difference... in FFXIV I use the Duty Finder to do dungeons with groups, which feels like LFG to me. If that is actually MM, then I don't understand what LFG would be.

But that's getting too far beyond my original point. I feel that if an activity had no MM, but had a LFG option, the people who normally depend on MM would just shift to using the LFG option when it is the only option. I don't see them holding back saying "Oh, that is too much work for me", because really it isn't.

I'd need to understand what the standard requirements would be for someone to be Accepted and/or Rejected from a group through LFG.

If it's a system where a leader puts up some kind of a flag, indicating that he's forming a group for an activity, and someone shows up (through whatever mechanism), what makes that person different than the next guy who steps in? Or the next guy? etc.

My logic depends on common sense of the user, I admit. I won't use MM for a 2 hour activity if I don't expect to be available beyond the first 15 minutes. That's me using common sense. But someone else may be a dick and do just that. But they could also be a dick and do the same thing with LFG.

Bought 6 engrams. Got 4 hunter helms, 1 Titan helm, and the A-Veil Warlock helm. Bahhhh. But! This was one of the hunter helms... One of my alts was somewhat happy (that stat roll ugh) with my warlock's woes lol.

6OC6Ban.jpg

c7tRzep.jpg

I received this one as well. Looking forward to trying out the golden gun perk, specially on atheon.

And holy crap the RNG has been tweaked for the HoW, I now have too many legendaries and exotics. Not a bad thing, but 12+ in a few days.

Z3M0G

And holy crap the RNG has been tweaked for the HoW, I now have too many legendaries and exotics. Not a bad thing, but 12+ in a few days.

The top 5-10% of players will 100% HoW within days/weeks and complain that they have nothing else to do already until September.

The rest of us will enjoy Destiny a whole lot more for the months to come.

It doesn't hold it back at all.
The "Mommy knows best" mentality does. It's the same mentality that leads to Splatoon not having voice chat even with friends. It's the same reason Bungie screwed up and made voice chat in Destiny so limited before patching it in (too late). It's the same reason they didn't have matchmaking for the Weekly even though it is perfectly doable with randoms.

A LFG system would be the same thing minus the issues Mm brings.

Agreed. Not arguing that.

If MM were there as an option alongside LFG it would reduce the amount of people using the LFG system, so having both would be detrimental.

If we had LFG, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think a better description than "bad" would be "not ideal". But, outside of modes that require tight communication ala the raids, how about they let the individual players decide what's too hardcore to bother with vanilla matchmaking.

flkraven

playing devil's advocate: isn't jumping on a destiny lfg site, grabbing two randoms, and running content effectively just matchmaking but I have to do all the work?

SkylineRKR

Might be like duh, but for peeps using the Nighthawk, drop Combustion imo. Its mostly a boss killer and combustion is useless then anyway. Go for the shorter GG cooldown.

I like this helmet, i mean I was stoked when I got Arachnid on launch day... but then... the fucking horror. Nighthawk is actually good.

Will be fun with Solar burn bosses. I also wonder how much damage it does on Atheon.

playing devil's advocate: isn't jumping on a destiny lfg site, grabbing two randoms, and running content effectively just matchmaking but I have to do all the work?
That's exactly what it is.

PoE 28 MM is evidence enough it's a bad idea.
And I've had no problems with PoE pickup groups. Sometimes you need to pull more of the weight to help another player but that happens regardless.

Wynnebeck

Banned
RNGesus why you do this to me? I had to jinx myself.

Also, HoW stuff is dropping from the Exotic Engram? I want to try for some HoW stuff, but I'm scared it's going to be like Saint-14 and I don't even have Titan character lol.

Just bought two Exotic engrams. Mask of the Third Man and Saint-14. I damn near almost twisted my DS4 and broke it from rage.

Zakalwe

Banned
Again don't use it, but why block others who want it?

You mentioned PoE,I had no issues with using a pug on 28, it was quite fun

Firstly, I've already explained why.

A LFG system would be superior. It would take minutes to find a group instead of seconds, but it would allow you to choose your group based on preferences which would vastly improve your experience and roce many of the issues that MM brings.

A LFG system works best when every player is using it so there's a large pool of players to choose from. Having MM alongside it would remove players from the pool, hence it would be a bad idea.

And read the thread. Plenty of people have stated they've had bad experiences with mm on PoE. And again: if you've ever plaued any kind of game with mm for harder content for an extended period of time, you'll have run into the kinds of players that make mm for that type of content a bad idea.

Top Bottom