• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

nynt9

Did you notice how many areas were blocked of for us?

It is obvious to anyone paying attention that we've not seen the full size of Old Russia or the Moon.

I'm not saying stuff isn't blocked off, that's normal. I'm saying expecting "many things to be different in the final version" from a beta is in general not a reasonable expectation.

Nah, you can go back and redo the missions if you want.

I know. I was saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility that the story takes you from planet to moon and back to planet.

He was acting like there were no more missions on earth because the moon mission picked up after the the last playable mission on earth.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not saying stuff isn't blocked off, that's normal. I'm saying expecting "many things to be different in the final version" from a beta is in general not a reasonable expectation.

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

You acknowledge we have no idea how much the areas will open up, yet you downplay it and say "not much will change".

I guess it's cool to be cynical or something...

Let's all just wait till retail before we make a fuss, that's all I'm suggesting.

Tobor

I can't believe people are complaining about will very obviously be a 100+ hour game.

I'm all for complaining about 5 hour games being sold for $60 dollars, but 100+? WTF?

On topic, yeah I'm a bit disappointed by the amount of content. This would be my main game to last until The Order/BloodBorne next year, but since I didn't got a PS4 I was a little sad that I couldn't play it. Seems that I shouldn't be feeling that way anymore.

Nipo

I can't believe people are complaining about will very obviously be a 100+ hour game.

I'm all for complaining about 5 hour games being sold for $60 dollars, but 100+? WTF?

What are you basing this on? People's desire to farm gear? I am curious how long the game will be for people who want to do the story and each strike once or twice.

Bungie has built a ton of good will with this beta. I think it is time for an actual info drop and let people know exactly what is in the game, average length to play through the campaign (yes I know end game gear farming is limited only by your own desire), number of PVP maps, how many strikes there are in total, and other pieces of information responsible consumers want before buying a game.

I said exactly that in my post before the one you quoted :p

Simply put we don't have anywhere near enough information to say the game will be light on content. If you are unhappy that there will simply be only 4 or 5 areas possibly then okay fine but assuming that we've seen like 25% of the full game or everything we saw in the beta will not change in the final version is just not realistic. We have no idea how old the build we've been playing is and if you go back and watch the E3 gameplay trailer someone linked awhile ago theres a lot we still haven't seen, even on Earth.

MMaRsu

Banned
Now that's bullshit. I would expect at least 2 strikes per planet. Low level and high level, unless the second strike ends up being like a full blown 6 man raid and thus isn't called a strike.

But there is only one raid in the game.

Extremely disappointing. I wasn't even high on Destiny until the beta and I already did the digital preorder on my PS4. I just hope the DLC is substantial and doesn't take forever to come out. I've gotten burned my Infamous and Titanfall due to lack of content, I went digital for both. Sigh...

nynt9

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

You acknowledge we have no idea how much the areas will open up, yet you downplay it and say "not much will change".

I guess it's cool to be cynical or something...

Let's all just wait till retail before we make a fuss, that's all I'm suggesting.

Opening up a blocked off area isn't a major feature or content change. I'm talking about the developers creating new content or features.

murgo

I highly doubt it'll be a 100+ hour game if you only want to play PvE (which I don't, but for many people it's the only aspect they're interested in).

Crosseyes

Banned
So youve got 4 maps all at least the size of old russia, whatever the reef will be, the rest of pvp and the tower...

Game still looks great to me

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Welcome to Titanfall length backlash, It irked me back then it urks me now, but I understand it.

There was no information given about what to expect when it comes to the amount of area's on a planet.
If that's the case, why are some people surprised by this revelation and others aren't?
This is a thread about exactly that. What were you talking about then? By hours I mean it can be converted to number of planets or whatever have you the points the same. Interpretations comes in many shapes and sizes.
Well, number of hours for a person isn't an objective point. Some people can go through certain areas faster or slower than others, and that's not even counting replayability factors. One thing having more hours than something else doesn't necessarily correlate to having more content than that something else.

David___

Banned
What are you basing this on? People's desire to farm gear? I am curious how long the game will be for people who want to do the story and each strike once or twice.

People who are in it for the story shouldn't be surprised their playtime is nothing compared to the people who constantly go for the gear.

Didn't you hear bro? Missions are 5 minutes each!

5x7 = 35 mins x 5 planets = 3 hours to complete all missions in PVE.

Pre order canceled. Can't wait for Call Of Duty

Tobor

I highly doubt it'll be a 100+ hour game if you only want to play PvE (which I don't, but for many people it's the only aspect they're interested in).

I'm only going to play PVE and from what I played in the Alpha and Beta, it should easily be 100+ hours with the zones we know about.

Who buys a loot game when they aren't interested in loot? Do you buy Diablo for the story? Borderlands? Fuck no, you buy them for loot.

i dont around the same time it took to beat Diablo 3, Cod or the titanfall's story mode.

GlamFM

Banned
I think it's safe to say that sometime in the past 14 months huge chunks of content were cut.

It might have been too ambitious, but I think it's a conscious decision to be able to sell us more DLC.

Activision probably sees Destiny as a storefront.

Very sad. Poor way to establish a new franciss.

Con_Smith

Banned
Game is still fun in my eyes and still has me convinced to pick up the white PS4 bundle but I'd be lying if I said this some ol' bullshit. Swear I just read they would have more than one location per planet a few days ago.

iamjohn

Didn't you hear bro? Missions are 5 minutes each!

5x7 = 35 mins x 5 planets = 3 hours to compete all missions in PVE.

Pre order canceled. Can't wait for Call Of Duty

Me neither. I know it's an unpopular opinion around here but I really think Sledgehammer could be coming out with a solid game this time around.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If that's the case, why are some people surprised by this revelation and others aren't?

Well, number of hours for a person isn't an objective point. Some people can go through certain areas faster or slower than others, and that's not even counting replayability factors. More hours doesn't necessarily correlate to more content than something else.

Perceived playtime which is the point of main of the issues discussed in this thread. Either way the arguments remains exactly the same so I'm not sure why we're still talking about that specific point.

I think it's safe to say that sometime in the past 14 months huge chunks of content were cut.

It might have been too ambitious, but I think it's a conscious decision to be able to sell us more DLC.

Activision probably sees Destiny as a storefront.

Very sad. Poor way to establish a new franciss.

You are basing this on what?

Concept art from years ago?

The comment about "all of this being explorable" you might have an argument about but Bungie has never said what the content ei be.

FtHTiny

It´s beginning to sound like the length of a halo campaign. Which is kinda underwhelming for me.
Hard to say how much max level content will be avaliable at this point.

Trickster

What did you expect though?

The single areas you're so disappointed about are huge, and we hadn't even seen all they have to offer yet.

You see "one area per planet" and take that to mean "lack of content".

We haven't seen how much they'll open up. There's nothing to be disappointed about until retail hits and we know for sure.

I expected Destiny to be about discovering, exploring and recapturing old and lost human civilization across the solar system from our enemies, because that's what Bungie pitched it as. How the hell can we do that by visiting one place on each planet/moon? The last city on Earth, is supposedly the only save place on the entirety of Earth. Implying Earth is crawling with enemies. So how are we gonna discover and reclaim Earth by only going to a single location? I guess maybe whatever is in Old Russia is a "space magic destroy all the evil darkness on earth" bomb. That'd certainly be very handy huh.

Just like an MMO I'm sure Bungie expects players to replay content for better gear the majority of their game time.

Most MMO's don't have 4-5 zones on release though

The Destiny Grimoire shows the following high level places: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and The City (The Tower).

We've also seen a multiplayer map on Mars in the Iron Banner match which suggests that there is Mars content as well. Also one of the intro cut scenes in the beta was set on Mars.

We know Mars, Venus, The Moon and Earth are in the game, don't expect things like Jupiter or Saturn.

That's killed a great deal of my enthusiasm :/ Seems like a pretty small game compared to what the vision seemed

What's even worse is that the missions are pretty shit already and really repetitive

Marco1

If this was like world of warcraft and the game environment would be built on top of the existing game then I wouldn't have a problem but it appears to be a COD style plan for the future.
I have cancelled my limited edition and will be the cheapest I get can it for now.

Ah what ya do.

It's still worth my $40 E3 pre-order but its not worth $100 for any type of limited edition.

Destiny 2 should be much more fleshed out. This one really reminds me of Resistance.

That's killed a great deal of my enthusiasm :/ Seems like a pretty small game compared to what the vision seemed

What's even worse is that the missions are pretty shit already and really repetitive

then dont buy it... its a "pretty small game" and has shit missions...

ok. You saved $60. Good for you :)

Definitley. But I still won't likely binge play as much as I did in the alpha and beta as I won't be trying all the classes, replaying the same missions over and over with different friends etc. which I did due to the limited time and content.

Not that it wasn't fun, but the main game will just be like Borderlands for me. I'll take my time going through the story and DLC, maybe chip away at some high level strikes/raids as I get better gear, but probably not finish all of those. And that's fine by me, I don't have time for some 200+ hour MMO experience.

You'll be doing that a ton more in the actual game. In the actual game you will be running missions over and over for materials, faction points, etc. to get that mod or to buy that next item.

If a single planet provides 25-30 hours of gameplay. That is 100+ hours of gameplay on the PvE alone.

For me it really isn't all about how long a game lasts but how enjoyable the game was for however long it lasted. One of my favorite experiences last gen was Journey, which was all of 90-120 minutes long.

I enjoyed what I played from Destiny. So will enjoy the final product even more. I was just hoping for multiple explore zones for each planet. Change in scenary.

jaaz

Either it's an MMO or it isn't. If it is an MMO there is no monthly subscription, so you can't expect them to give you the universe in content for just $60. The DLC is just the usual "pay to play" model, if you want to play further into the world and other open up other areas, you pay. Your choice.

If it isn't an MMO, then its content shouldn't be compared with MMOs, but with regular games. And in that area, most people are quite happy to pay $60 for a 15 hour game. They do it everyday. Destiny will undoubtedly be much longer than 15 hours.

So what's the problem?

Zakalwe

Banned
Opening up a blocked off area isn't a major feature or content change. I'm talking about the developers creating new content or features.

There are plenty of things that we don't have access to yet: special mission NPC, crafting, upgrading, other hubs that we can only speculate on the contents, the mail system that could hint at many things...

There is a lot of potential here for much more depth.

I understand we're a cynical lot, but this thread is really something else.

I expected Destiny to be about discovering, exploring and recapturing old and lost human civilization across the solar system from our enemies, because that's what Bungie pitched it as. How the hell can we do that by visiting one place on each planet/moon? The last city on Earth, is supposedly the only save place on the entirety of Earth. Implying Earth is crawling with enemies. So how are we gonna discover and reclaim Earth by only going to a single location? I guess maybe whatever is in Old Russia is a "space magic destroy all the evil darkness on earth" bomb. That'd certainly be very handy huh.

Most MMO's don't have 4-5 zones on release though

We know Mars, Venus, The Moon and Earth are in the game, don't expect things like Jupiter or Saturn.

You're making far too many assumptions about how the entire thing comes together.

Far too many.

Top Bottom