• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Dat Urk post.

Nice.
I'm at a loss for what was "nice" about it. He did not address anything we are discussing and did the worst things you possibly could as an game developer:

1) Boasted about other games they make
2) Mentioned your game was like a TV series

To me, no.2 means we will be nickel and dimed with DLC and not proper, hugely awesome expansions (does anyone even make them anymore or is it all just bullshit DLC now?)

There's a lot wrong with his post. Seeing budget, manpower talk, environment talk "if you see it..." All since its reveal - its seeeeeeems like its all just there to sell you a DLC jukebox.

Will wait for real, actual, honest to goodness developer clarification.

I'm a little bummed just because I was hoping to see more locations on Earth than just Old Russia, but I'm definitely not worried about content. Old Russia and the Moon definitely seem to be healthily sized, and we still have Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and some of the gas giants' moons at the very least. It'll be plenty sufficient in terms of content.

Trickster

Oh, hey, this thread still has legs.

You know we just spent the entire alpha and beta on (except for two hours) one planet, right? You know there are three more in the game at launch, right? You know this game is going to be barraged by additional content on a regular basis, right?

I'd only be concerned about this if I thought I'd finish the entire game's content in a week or two. I could still happily grind for gear and level skills in the beta for another week or two...

I give zero fucks that the game is supported post launch unless it free content, that's not to say I won't buy what ever post launch stuff they release if it's good. But if Destiny launches and the game feels light on content, then post launch dlc is not a valid excuse to make in regards to the actual retail game being content light.

Also, while you might have spend the entire time the alpha and beta was up, playing the game. I didn't. I did the strike, exploration and pvp in the alpha. Didn't feel compelled to explore the desolate and empty Old Russia a second time in the beta, it's simply not fun to explore as there is nothing to find. And I certainly don't want to farm the strike for loot in a temporary beta, that's just a waste of time imo. And I didn't bother with pvp because it was an imbalanced mess.

Destiny has amazing potential, but there's just a lot of problems with the game so far, without even counting the fact that there's only a handful of zones ( which urks evasive post pretty much confirms is the case ).

Marvel

could never
I'm at a loss for what was "nice" about it.

I'm not.

Sounds like a well supported game to me, both with the already in-game content and events and the obvious DLC. Fine with it, I never got to explore the entirety of the Beta anyway and I played it constantly.

I know I shall be happy with this games content. The first game since the Gears of War franchise I'll probably play solidly for years.

And why can't Bungie be proud of what they created with Halo? it's perfectly normal to talk about their previous success a little. They really did support Halo very well :/

The frequent DLC? you should be fucking used to it by now it's the way of our passion that is videogames and how these businesses operate now, but you're assuming the expansions shall be tiny which is a little silly.

They very well may be "Huge and awesome" just like you hope them to be, wait and see.

Now... if the DLC is overpriced for what they give, well we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But it's just too early to complain about an issue that isn't even on the table yet.

Trickster

I'm not.

Sounds like a well supported game to me, both with the already in-game content and events and the obvious DLC. Fine with it, I never got to explore the entirety of the Beta anyway and I played it constantly.

I know I shall be happy with this games content. The first game since the Gears of War franchise I'll probably play solidly for years.

And why can't Bungie be proud of what they created with Halo? it's perfectly normal to talk about their previous success a little. They really did support Halo very well :/

The frequent DLC? you should be fucking used to it by now it's the way of our passion that is videogames and how these businesses operate now, but you're assuming the expansions shall be tiny which is a little silly.

They very well may be "Huge and awesome" just like you hope them to be, wait and see.

Now... if the DLC is overpriced for what they give, well we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But it's just too early to complain about an issue that isn't even on the table yet.

The post was just an empty PR post where he doesn't even address the issue of the topic at all.

ReNeGaDe124

And the moon had so many closed doors... so many.

And some of them will be opened only if you buy the first expansion: http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-for-Collectors/en/News/News?aid=11642

In "The Dark Below," you'll discover an ancient tomb has been unsealed. Beneath the surface of the Moon, a dark god has answered centuries of prayer, and a dark army has risen. Explore the true depths of the Hellmouth. Stop the dark Hive ritual and survive.

wowlace

Look, I have the same concerns as a lot of gaffers and I do not want to re-tread old ground (keeping in mind i have only read a few pages...I mean who can read all this lol?).

I honestly would like publishers/developers to straight up price their games at $150 (or whatever) and put it all in there if that is what they want from us. I know guys say stuff about development timing and rollout of staff bla bla; I will probably be told I know nothing about game development (it's true) but clearly anyone can see that content is being held back now in many games. It's a problem for me, I have a philosophical disagreement with this probably stemming from my views on capitalism.

According to my legend on bungie.net I played approximately 30 hours in the beta. Quite honestly that surprises me and I am a little ashamed. I put at least some of that down to uni holidays, whatever and a lot was PvP. I will say that there is no way in hell I put 30 hours into Old Russia had the other areas been available. I never played the moon because of timezones and sleeping in mmmmmm sleeping in. Right now I am glad I haven't played the moon because that means I would have seen ~ 3/8ths of the game by my estimates based on the information before me.

I was never gonna buy this game day one (I don't for anything these days). I am disappoint gaf and I can understand why some have had mild adverse reactions to recent information, but I still think this will be one of the best titles in years. Even if it will cost ~$150. So...... this post is an incoherent mess with no real structure or forethought, but I just wanted to express something. I guess a wait and see is in order and I better lift my game before I start my lit. review :-$

Also randomly, I think it will be hell weird if we have multiplayer maps of areas that are not represented in the PvE.

Chirotera

Banned
To me, concept art is more like "Hey, this is the look/tone that we are going for and might show up in some form eventually" and less "This exact location is in the game exactly like this". Would you be upset if some of that concept art was actually from locations in Destiny 2 and 3?

Yes. If they want to show concept art for a game, fine. Some of that art really is quite beautiful. But they have to understand that when they do so, people are going to expect that areas that resemble the concepts is actually going to be in the game. Showing that concept art before the game even releases and then not putting that content in until the sequels? That's just a very misguided marketing approach.

Their job should be to sell me on what the game is now. Not what the game will be in the future.

Also, to clarify, I love the game. I'm very much looking forward to playing it and will probably enjoy every bit of whatever there happens to be to enjoy. However, I'm still annoyed by this tactic - especially because some of the concept areas seemed really interesting (Old Chicago!).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Though I'm still really interested Destiny isn't looking as balls-out awesome as it first appeared to be. Maybe my expectations weren't in line with what Bungie is cooking up but in a way this feels a bit how Brink was first presented and what the final product was. Not saying Destiny's going to be the trainwreck Brink turned out to be, I'm still expecting to having an amazing time with the game, it just doesn't (anymore) appear to do what I initially expected it to do: extremely huge world, lots of freedom/exploration lots of (singleplayer or co-op) story mode/missions with optionally PvP PvE stuff thrown in. Can't really put it to words well :/ but I guess it seemed to me for a while this was going to be Borderland-esque but with (hopefully) more seamless world-exploring and an added layer of more cinematic storytelling. Who knows it'll still have that. Just isn't really clear to me.

Derpcrawler

And some of them will be opened only if you buy the first expansion: http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-for-Collectors/en/News/News?aid=11642

Lol, so people who claimed there is vast content behind the closed off areas just got proven wrong? To me it smells like lot of vanilla content was cut out of final game only to milk more cash from players and sold through DLC. Since someone actually wall glitched into those closed areas anyway.

Another thing - just one quest line for moon underground tomb sounds way too small for a 20 bucks expansion.

Again, my $0.02.

I'm not.

First, your opinions are yours, not everyone else's.

Second, talking about your experiences are fine but, as you've stated, this is our passion and we understand that any developer, no matter their past accomplishments, can fail. We've seen this too many times to think everything is as linear as you believe it to be.
Third, if the main "meat and potatoes" of the 60 dollar "full" release is as thin as it is, what is so "silly" to think cheaper DLC will be much thinner?
Fourth, our main concerns have not been addressed by his post.
Fifth, addressing things NOW is a great idea instead of doing it when it is cemented in gaming history. Or have we learned nothing about MSFTs XO debacle pre-launch?

Anything else?

Lol, so people who claimed there is vast content behind the closed off areas just got proven wrong? To me it smells like lot of vanilla content was cut out of final game only to milk more cash from players and sold through DLC. Since someone actually wall glitched into those closed areas anyway.

Not necessarily, we don't know if the expansion pack will actually change the current map layout or stuff like that. Does "House of Wolves" even exist in the current map of Destiny atm like the House of Devils/House of Kings?

Another thing - just one quest line for moon underground tomb sounds way too small for a 20 bucks expansion.

Again, my $0.02.

The expansion adds content for every mode, so there'll be story, strike, PvP maps, and gear.

Marvel

could never
First, your opinions are yours, not everyone else's

Never said, nor presented it as such.

Anything else?

Not really... thought my personal view on this subject was posted fairly and clearly, certainly better than some of the drive-bys I've seen in this thread. I've also not given a 'tude so do not know why I'm copping one.

I understand I have a Destiny avatar and all that jazz but come on some of what I said and how I feel was relevant (if to you only a little, but you know gloss over it, whatevs) I'll get my coat.

Yes. If they want to show concept art for a game, fine. Some of that art really is quite beautiful. But they have to understand that when they do so, people are going to expect that areas that resemble the concepts is actually going to be in the game. Showing that concept art before the game even releases and then not putting that content in until the sequels? That's just a very misguided marketing approach.

Their job should be to sell me on what the game is now. Not what the game will be in the future.

I don't know what to say, I'm not sure the average person is looking at concept art as an unspoken promise of specific content. Personally, I'm use to seeing concept art for movies, and lots of great scenes don't make it into the final film/gets used later in a sequel. I honestly can't say that I'm upset that the mine cart sequence from "Temple of Doom" was actually supposed to be in Raiders.

RobRSG

If they make big enough areas, then what's the problems?

The people complaints are nonsensical since the game wasn't even launched yet.

If they make big enough areas, then what's the problems?

The people complaints are nonsensical since the game wasn't even launched yet.
One area was playable and it was kinda small for an open environment. Chance that the other 3 are bigger is unlikely.

They announced environments like Chicago, Mumbai, etc and just cut them or moved them to DLC. You dont have to pay money to see when a developer is secretly making cuts (or moving things to paid dlcs).

Pikma

Banned
I'm hurrying up to save and get a XB1 for this one game, If it doesn't live up to the expectations in terms of content and they hold it back (as it seems already) I don't know what the fuck I'll do, but I'm sure of one thing, I won't let myself get ripped off, I don't buy EA games for a reason.

They announced environments like Chicago, Mumbai, etc and just cut them or moved them to DLC. You dont have to pay money to see when a developer is secretly making cuts (or moving things to paid dlcs).

Where was the specific press release or Bungie update that stated specifically we get to play in Old Chicago or Mumbai? I remember brief mentions and then lots of fan speculation...

POPEGTR

Neo Member
They could create any other place but not Russia! C'mon! NY, London, Paris.. so many nice places we could visit but no.... they chose Russia.... WTF!

Jabba

Banned
Really don't see why they can't just confirm a few things for consumers as far as content. This industry can be so weird at times. Many industry participants give an impression like, they're holding national security secrets for a given country. It's ridiculous.

Bioware said the same thing as Turk about Dragon Age: Inquisition and it's size and content. Then proceeded to give people an idea of how big the game is and what players might expect from the game. A dev/pub saying "It's the biggest game we've made" isn't specific enough. People want to know what they're spending money on.

I'm not even weighing in on whether I believe Destiny will/won't have enough content. I just think they need to be slightly better with revealing how much content is in game from a consumer perspective, like Bioware has been. Amongst many things including this, it reeks of, We are soooo awesome, but we can't tell you how awesome. DA: Inq. looks to be awesome. Why do I have that opinion? I've been told enough about the game to form that opinion. That's what some in this thread are asking for and I don't blame them.

p3tran

Banned
its not surprising that quite many players can connect the dots and see where this is heading.

I mean, I've been a customer for activision since the pitfall days, but I can still smell the dlc odor.

bungie dudes, watch out, I think it could go wrong for you if you do not take (good) care.

Never said, nor presented it as such.

Not really... thought my personal view on this subject was posted fairly and clearly, certainly better than some of the drive-bys I've seen in this thread. I've also not given a 'tude so do not know why I'm copping one.

I understand I have a Destiny avatar and all that jazz but come on some of what I said and how I feel was relevant (if to you only a little, but you know gloss over it, whatevs) I'll get my coat.
"You should be fucking used to it by now" isn't your way of saying "this is what I think and you should think it, too"? Weird. Sounds to me like you are berating people for not sharing in your opinions.

And I glossed over your post when I made several counter points, numerically, to things you've said... jlawwhat.gif?? So let me get this right. You quote one sentence of mine then post a long rant. I counter, with multiple points of yours, you come back with nothing to debate them... And I glossed over your post. We're all friends here, man. No need to BS your way into or out of anything. We all have opinions but I like to keep things clean.

Myggen

So basically, the launch game is like the first few episodes of a long running TV show. Stick around and you can buy more episode sized DLC for years to come...

It seems like the vanilla game wont be massive but will have enough to keep you going for a few months until they release more content, which they are evidently already working on but held back for further release.

The price of this DLC is going to make or break this game for sure, imo this kind of strategy is a big risk and I can understand why they are trying to keep the content side of destiny under wraps for now, the 500 mil is there to execute the marketing of this content perfectly, they're not gunna let much screw that up.

I was always under the impression that the game was going to be extremely DLC heavy; that's how they're gonna add more content to a game that's supposed to be a MMO, and thus need a ton of content and updates. I'm sure we won't get "expansions" like with WoW, but more regular DLC updates with added areas, dungeons, planets etc.

I'm on the fence about the game right now. I really like how it plays and looks, but I don't think we know enough about the size and scope of the game at launch, and the business model going forward with updates.

Urk's post was a whole lot of nothing (we're making a big game, like a TV show...), so that didn't help much with the unknowns.

Dante316

Wasn't this obvious? They already have 2 expansions planned. The full destiny experience requires them. I am guessing they went tbe route because that's $40 meaning possibly 2 new open exploration areas or even planets, leveling and gear.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
They could create any other place but not Russia! C'mon! NY, London, Paris.. so many nice places we could visit but no.... they chose Russia.... WTF!

Maybe there is a reason behind it

Unless you have played through the whole story, you can't really say why Old Russia is there as a starter for us

I mean the 3 areas literally blocked off from players have weird undertones of something being kept there and secrets to unravel
I mean one area of Old Russia is named Seraphim Vault (It's within the Bunker RAS-2 area)
Look at this map:
z6WGZkZl.jpg

Look at the legend of the map and see areas you can't visit or areas cockblocked by higher level mobs that can eradicate in you 3 seconds

Relique

Sorry, but all evidence tells me the amount of content is going to be fine.

Old Russia and The Moon were large, and both areas had multiple areas closed off meaning they were even larger.

Then we have strikes, raids, and missions.

Then we have crafting and upgrades and subclasses, things we've only begun to explore.

Then we have pvp.

This is not going to be a dense world sandbox. It's an fps with shared online parts. The explorable world is not going to be filled with NPCs and interactions. That doesn't make it light on content.

There is more evidence so far that this game will have plenty of content than not enough, but either way we can't tell it sure exactly what we'll be getting.

I have seen this argument many times in Destiny threads. The size of the zone =/= amount of content. The moon can be the size of the actual moon and it would still lack content if you had nothing to do in it but kill the same 3 enemies over and over.

Jito

Banned
So the Destiny release is just a taster of things to come, the real game will be DLC and content packs? Sounds expensive.

Marvel

could never
"You should be fucking used to it by now" isn't your way of saying "this is what I think and you should think it, too"?

No? it's what has been done for years now, since mid last gen as a game developer yourself you should know that. It is fact. We all should be used to DLC running wild it's not new anymore. However... I will apologize to you if I have offended. Me swearing was in no way at you believe me. It's a bad habit I have in dropping the F bomb in posts here on GAF and in party chat.

You haven't been here long enough to know that of me yet or played games with me and that's not on you at all but me. So sorry for that. We are all friends here, I was in no way trying to ram my views on anyone but like others before me here, merely state how I personally felt in my experience with the Beta and what I think is yet to come as it's a little too early to make some of the OTT assumptions I have seen here.

I'm not shutting anyone's valid concerns down at all, just saying... wait and see.

I glossed over some of your points because a lot of what you have said was already covered in my first post. I truly do not feel the need for a debate as I really was clear in what I said the first time.

No hard feelings man, but I'll leave it there.

I think it needs more work in terms of building lore. Right now it feels like Diablo-FPS, which is sorta good but i think it could get repetitive in the long run.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have seen this argument many times in Destiny threads. The size of the zone =/= amount of content. The moon can be the size of the actual moon and it would still lack content if you had nothing to do in it but kill the same 3 enemies over and over.

This is a fps in a shared world, not a fully blown rpg or mmo. We've already seen enemy variety. Old Russia has the basic Hive and Fallen, the moon introduces Ogres and Shrieks into the mix, I'm sure we'll see more as we progress.

There is currently a very good amount of enemies for an fps, and we've only seen partial sections of two of the game's areas.

I can sense where this is heading. Bungie has decided to cut out portions of the game and sell them as DLC. The same happened when they sold the expansion pack Halo ODST, as a full priced game.

Concepts do not mean they were always intended for the first retail build.

It doesn't matter if they sell us all other areas as DLC if the main game justifies itself with its content.

So this argument is ridiculous until we see the final release.

BokehKing

Banned
Pre-ordering is always a poor decision for any game unless you can get it cheap. So you are ahead of the game, good on ya.
Isn't that a matter of opinion though?
If I pay for a game I - know- I'm going to buy
Or put $5-$20 on it, that's $5-$20 I don't have to pay day of release. .

I understand the people 'concerned' for the industry don't like pre-orders and dlc, and everything should just come on the disc, yadda yadda.

But if someone put over 25 hours into an alpha and over 50 hours into a beta, isn't that a sign that I will enjoy the game? . Everyone is soooo concerned over the amount of content but are only thinking of 'story missions' and not all the other things you can do in game. . Things I've seen hinted at in the beta... That to me is worth pre-ordering.

I knew my decision after the alpha, I mean I actually find old russia huge and entertaining. . I climb up 'mountains in the distance' but I'm reasonable in that expectation and know what mountains I can climb, I don't believe the shaky word of a guy presenting a game on stage, obviously super nervous and probably filling in his own blanks. .

I can see people tearing apart and revolting against Witcher 3 next, and that will be another sad day.

I'm fine with this. To be honest I have Sunset Overdrive, Smash 3DS, then Halo and then Smash again on Wii U. This game could only last os long for me anyway. The beta was fun though, have zero interest in the PvP.

murgo

I'm fine with this. To be honest I have Sunset Overdrive, Smash 3DS, then Halo and then Smash again on Wii U. This game could only last os long for me anyway. The beta was fun though, have zero interest in the PvP.

You must be the real Henry Gale. The fake one had a lot of fun playing against other "players" :)

Isn't that a matter of opinion though?
If I pay for a game I - know- I'm going to buy
Or put $5-$20 on it, that's $5-$20 I don't have to pay day of release. .

I understand the people 'concerned' for the industry don't like pre-orders and dlc, and everything should just come on the disc, yadda yadda.

But if someone put over 25 hours into an alpha and over 50 hours into a beta, isn't that a sign that I will enjoy the game? . Everyone is soooo concerned over the amount of content but are only thinking of 'story missions' and not all the other things you can do in game. . Things I've seen hinted at in the beta... That to me is worth pre-ordering.

I knew my decision after the alpha, I mean I actually find old russia huge and entertaining. . I climb up 'mountains in the distance' but I'm reasonable in that expectation and know what mountains I can climb, I don't believe the shaky word of a guy presenting a game on stage, obviously super nervous and probably filling in his own blanks. .

I can see people tearing apart and revolting against Witcher 3 next, and that will be another sad day.

Witcher 3 looks great but if their promises of tons of exploration and you can go touch everything off in the distance falls threw then you bet people will be pissed they touted that in the first place. Just like people here are pissed that bungie stated "you can go touch those mountains" and "each planet is the size of halo reach" when it wasn't true. Sure we can say PR speak, don't trust developers, etc but If we can't trust them when it comes to providing us information about their game then we need to start calling them out on their BS so this cycle doesn't continue.

EmpReb

Banned
Too tell you the truth I am temped to sell my PS4 back and switch back to Xbone just because of MCC, Sunset Overdrive and density would all be possable. While my PS4 still get less use than my gaming PC or EVEN my PS3(Ace Combat Infinity) .

Top Bottom