• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Spoo

Good point, I was only half paying attention - intend to watch it again properly layer.

We don't have any confirmation on subclass numbers or anything do we? Just the new ones and striker/gunslinger returning confirmed? Mind you, if levelling the fucking things takes as long as in D1 I don't want any more than three...

We basically have confirmation that all old subclasses minus Defender, Bladedancer and Sunsinger are returning, albeit their subclasses are going to be "mixed" up.

It's basically confirmed now that Warlock's sunsinger replacement class is the new Defender. They have AOE buffs -- WoL and Heal over time stuff. Titan's new class is more about structural support -- shields, etc. So those two together are going to be PvE playmakers.

I would really like to know more about the Bladedancer replacement, but it seems like people weren't allowed to play as that class even though it was demo'd in the vids? They only get Gunslinger in PvP and PvE demos it looked like. I wonder why.

Spoo

Not going back to the gaming side.

How is the tone in here?

People are disappointed. PC delay, lack of dedicated servers, no 60 fps on console are all things that effect people equally and are generally upsetting.

That said, it's only their first demonstration, and they didn't get to go into much depth into anything. Peoples reactions will probably perk up as they get to see more and more of what they will actually be doing in the game.

edit: Shit, I misread your post -- thought you said "in there." Things are more positive here, but I am sure there's probably a few people here that want to see more before getting annoyed with the changes. Personally I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of specialization (no int/disc/str anymore means lack of build variety imo). I do think the game looks like a helluva lot of fun, though, and will be there day 1 -- it's just more of an incremental change than I was expecting personally.

shingi70

Banned
Watched the event yesterday but I'm just now watching the Youtube impressions. I'm a Warlock for Life but I must saw that Titan Defender Striker Barrier seems pretty slick to me.

Hopefully I can find an active guild for the Xbox One version of the game.

Bold One

My only disappointments are the 4v4 crucible, no 60fps for 4 v fucking 4 and no dedicated servers. I would go PC, but I refuse to use a mouse and keyboard for shooting games.

Everything else has me rock-hard.

Avoid the gaming-side thread like a plague, seriously. There is criticism and then there is sanctioned trolling.

Can anyone please link me the music from the Cabal attack on the tower cinematic? makes my balls hot.

Because people are telling D2 could be just a DLC for D1 and no one would see the difference (and they are not so wrong)?

The "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" posts are absurd. And it is really funny because it's easy to drop a turd like that in a forum post but when you actually start looking at the totality of what Destiny 2 is offering over Destiny 1 it becomes obvious that the additions, changes, and general improvements are above and beyond anything added to Destiny since launch. The cynicism towards the game on this website (from my own observation) is something that makes me almost want to look elsewhere to read about the game. There's just something negative about the tone here which kinda bums me out...

Because people are telling D2 could be just a DLC for D1 and no one would see the difference (and they are not so wrong)?
I think when people will play the game, the differences will be more apparent.

People have to keep in mind that we have no footage of the most different thing about D2: the patrol structure.

This games now has a fleshed out patrol mode where it's like an open world game with quests, NPCs, hidden treasure and secrets. That to me is the most exciting, and "New" aspect of this game, and it hasn't even been shown yet!

I mean I have my share of disappointments (like not having all brand new sub-classes, or lack of dedis), but it's silly to say the game looks like a D1 expansion when all we've seen is a story mission, a strike, and a PVP match. And all 3 seem to be pretty fun and engaging

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well like any iteration it's more of the same but refined. Cry me a river with the DLC stuff :(

If it plays the same, refined skills and more content, what else do you need? Because that's what I want on my PC which will happen eventually for better or for worse.

Juan

Last night someone was telling us how destiny 2 could be a ps3 game after watching the new strike.

Well, to me, this person wasn't wrong. :/

I mean, there is not a single thing I've seen that couldn't be achieve with a DLC like Taken King changed the game or Rise of Iron added a sweet new space to come and play around.

Don't get me wrong, I think a sequel shouldn't be so different from the original game, but at least, a sequel give things that couldn't be achieve with past games (look at Mass Effect, Halo, Assassin's Creed, and I'm just giving big names here).

I couldn't enjoy the Raid part since I didn't get time to have 5 people with me and the game wasn't fun to me once I had a good weapon, so I'm glad they are adding social stuff and matchmaking for activities, so it's sure I will be on Destiny 2 next year when they will give away a full game edition with all the stuff, DLC and expansion from year 1.

The thing that actually make me laugh is more that people are happy to get their hand on the same game. Like with D1, they started at level 20, Year 2 was level 30 and Year 3 was level 40 with 400 light.

With D2, you're starting with a Level 20 cap, then you're going to get new weapons and armors in Year 2 to get Level 30 and in Year 3 you will be Level 40.

And the song will be similar (I guess) with D3 when it comes around.

Actually, I'm way more interested by the exploration D2 can provide me with, with the treasure map, lost sector & cie. I'm looking toward this stuff, but beyond that, I think Bungie played really safe with this one (which may be a good thing for D1 fans). :)

"I´m not a fan of 4v4" - criticism.

"This could be an expansion for Destiny 1" - straight up trolling.

So why don´t you take your bullshit this way? You´ll feel right at home.

Again, big lol. You're acting like a mother toward a teacher telling her your child just cheated on his friend during an exam and don't want to admit it. :D

It's not trolling to say D2 didn't show something that couldn't be achieve with a D1 DLC. Don't be blind about that.

"I'm not fan of 4v4" is more a personal taste. Saying "Map design and game' flow was much arcade with a 6v6 gametype" is actually a criticism.

chur

I see this as Destiny 1.5 and I'm OK with that. I was kinda worried Bungie was going to make drastic changes to the game like they made from Halo to Halo 2, or Halo 3 to Halo Reach. Halo 3 is my GOAT game and I remember talking to a bunch of people that saw it as Halo 2.5.

lol

Love the hardcore fans reactions toward Destiny 2 criticisms.
nah this is bs...overall people have been super negative on Destiny since day one. Dunno if it's some system wars type stuff, upset because Bungie went multi, or what, but despite the game's massive success, GAF has always been super critical.

It should die down once the game is out, looks like a lot of fun and MARIO Kart and Switch should have been an indication that graphics aren't everything. I just lol at the "looks the same as D1" there's so much different here.

The thing I don't understand is, you don't have to get into Destiny just because it's super popular, you don't have to 'get it'. I still don't really get GTA, its whatever. People enjoy what they enjoy. There were even people questioning the legitimacy of the bungie staff iterating on the friendships and bonds Destiny fostered.

Man, guys, just play what you like to play, stop trying to understand and be a part of everything.

Well, to me, this person wasn't wrong. :/

I mean, there is not a single thing I've seen that couldn't be achieve with a DLC like Taken King changed the game or Rise of Iron added a sweet new space to come and play around.

Don't get me wrong, I think a sequel shouldn't be so different from the original game, but at least, a sequel give things that couldn't be achieve with past games (look at Mass Effect, Halo, Assassin's Creed, and I'm just giving big names here).

I couldn't enjoy the Raid part since I didn't get time to have 5 people with me and the game wasn't fun to me once I had a good weapon, so I'm glad they are adding social stuff and matchmaking for activities, so it's sure I will be on Destiny 2 next year when they will give away a full game edition with all the stuff, DLC and expansion from year 1.

The thing that actually make me laugh is more that people are happy to get their hand on the same game. Like with D1, they started at level 20, Year 2 was level 30 and Year 3 was level 40 with 400 light.

With D2, you're starting with a Level 20 cap, then you're going to get new weapons and armors in Year 2 to get Level 30 and in Year 3 you will be Level 40.

And the song will be similar (I guess) with D3 when it comes around.

Actually, I'm way more interested by the exploration D2 can provide me with, with the treasure map, lost sector & cie. I'm looking toward this stuff, with beyond that, I think Bungie played really safe with this one (with may be a good thing for D1 fans). :)

We've still only seen a small slice though. We don't know how endgame pvp (like trials will work), we haven't seen the patrol exploration, we haven't seen how they reworked the other returning subclasses, we haven't seen all the new strikes and missions, etc. Bungie has been steadily introducing more and more varied content and mission structure. I'm really excited to see what mechanics they introduce in the new strikes and raid. And you have to keep in mind the game will play differently with reworked subclasses. It a not gonna be D1 where everyone needs to cheese sections with bubble + gally.

GlamFM

Banned
New campaign, new locations, new maps, new gear, new modes, new patrols, new stikes, new raid, new subclasses, new everything.

How is this even a debate? This is Destiny 2.

TTK was Destiny 1.5.

EDIT: Troll, im not feeding you anymore. Sorry.

shingi70

Banned
I want to reserve judgment till the beta, but the cha he's to the gameplay and the weapon system, it feels like Bungue has utterly wrecked PvP.

Juan

New campaign, new locations, new maps, new gear, new modes, new patrols, new stikes, new raid, new subclasses, new everything.

Well, you described Taken King with this, don't you think?

Again, I'm not trolling you. It seems you LOVE Destiny and you're ready to defend it against anything people could say, and it's cool to see people like this.

But don't be mad at people saying the things we have seen could be achieved with a DLC. Once again, everything you just said describe Taken King, even Rise of Iron, perfectly.

I want to reserve judgment till the beta, but the cha he's to the gameplay and the weapon system, it feels like Bungue has utterly wrecked PvP.
I dunno, I sorta like not having snipers and heavies be too abundant.

I also like how now people who popped Supers are "weak" against elemental damage of the same type. In other words, if an opponent popped a golden gun, a solar burn gun will be "supereffective" against them (like in pokemon!).

With the weapon changes, you are now ensured of having an elemental primary. In the new SnD gamemode, you can coordinate with the team if you hear a popped super, and make sure the person with the advantageous weapon burn can take them out.

I think this adds a lot more balance to the game, and makes it so that Supers aren't TOO OP.

GlamFM

Banned

Again, I'm not trolling you. It seems you LOVE Destiny and you're ready to defend it against anything people could say, and it's cool to see people like this.

But don't be mad at people saying the things we have seen could be achieved with a DLC. Once again, everything you just said describe Taken King, even Rise of Iron, perfectly.

Oddly enough I also described vanilla Destiny.

Wait what? Is TTK actually Destiny 2?

So did they actually reveal Destiny 3 yesterday?

Scale matters, not to trolls, but it matters.

So what? Is TTK actually Destiny 2?

Agreed

In essence, isn't scale EXACTLY what differenciates between a full game and expansion?

The full games (D1 and D2) have multiple planets, loads of missions, etc. While the expansions are always small portions of that (like only 1 new area, a handfull of missions, etc).

This scale alone means D2 is a full game and not an expansion. I dunno why it's so hard for people to understand.

Bold One

You can LOVE a game and still be critical about it. What is happening in gaming side is just lol-worthy, any legitimate criticism is being buried in the tried and tested shit-post driveby.

4v4 mp is not only a preference debate, it is also a legit criticism, and not having that mode in 60 fps is a huge fuck up on console and is indefensible in 2017 -

see, that is a criticism.

Saying it looks like DLC and spewing toxic misinformation that goes on to drive the narrative is fucking infuriating - Its the Fox News approach to forum-posting. You can say 'i'm not trolling" all you like but in the end all you are doing is feeding into the same narrative with 5 months till release and a lot of the game still to be shown - you've convinced people that it's a DLC.

shingi70

Banned
I dunno, I sorta like not having snipers and heavies be too abundant.

I also like how now people who popped Supers are "weak" against elemental damage of the same type. In other words, if an opponent popped a golden gun, a solar burn gun will be "supereffective" against them (like in pokemon!).

With the weapon changes, you are now ensured of having an elemental primary. In the new SnD gamemode, you can coordinate with the team if you hear a popped super, and make sure the person with the advantageous weapon burn can take them out.

I think this adds a lot more balance to the game, and makes it so that Supers aren't TOO OP.

The new system seems to not only be Bad for Pve, but hurts players who like to use Fision Rifles and Shotguns in the crucible.

Juan

Wait what? Is TTK actually Destiny 2?

Well, you saw nothing about the scale right know. Nothing we have seen seemed bigger than anything in D1, no?

And yeah, to be honest, Taken King brought changes to Destiny that could have been in a true sequel, from the narrative formula to the way they added NPC, the settings for your weapon, armors...

Yep, if Taken King wasn't a DLC, and all the changes brought by this DLC were in D2, I would have say that D2 changed a lot of good things for a sequel.

There is nothing bad saying D2 feel like a DLC when a DLC for D1 felt like an overall for the OG.

D2 feel like a good reboot that clear the table for new ground. If you consider that being a troll, well, then internet may not be a place for you buddy. :/

Saying it looks like DLC and spewing toxic misinformation that goes on to drive the narrative is fucking infuriating - Its the Fox News approach to forum-posting. You can say 'i'm not trolling" all you like but in the end all you are doing is feeding into the same narrative with 5 months till release and a lot of the game still to be shown - you've convinced people that it's a DLC.

Well, this game doesn't have Dedicated servers (but I don't really care about this tbh), not 60fps on PvP (and PvE as well), and I'm just saying that everything I've seen so far feel like something on the same level as the thing I've experienced with TTK and RoI. I'm not speculating about things I've not seen, like patrols & cie, since we saw nothing about this, we're just talking about what we have seen so far.

If everything they showed to you screams "a whole new game" to you, then I'm super happy for you, really, and I hope people feel like the same as you.

But I have the right to tell, and clearly demonstrate, that everything showed so far doesn't really make a big change from what I already have on my console.

stay gold

Rise of Irons 'campaign' took about an hour and half to get through. How can you possibly even entertain the notion that D2 is on the same scale as it.

X-Frame

A primary focused meta would be wonderful however I am seeing reactions with how much slower paced PvP is now. From weapons being even weaker than in Destiny 1 now to slowly/nerfed movement, and much slower ability recharges.

Obviously the subclasses aren't maxed and the weapons given seem to be rather lackluster but as a whole if it looks like with overall less effective solo capabilities that players will be sticking more with other teammates in 4v4, especially with the new Warlock and Titan class abilities -- a good thing IMO. Less lone wolf dominating, but that could change after players unlock exotics.

Juan

Rise of Irons 'campaign' took about an hour and half to get through. How can you possibly even entertain the notion that D2 is on the same scale as it.

Well, you didn't play D2, so how can you tell it's not? Speculation I guess?

RoI was like 20$ if I remember right (maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure)? So D2 will be like 60$, so maybe it will be 1,5 hour * 3 (like the price), so 4,5 hours? Did you count the Raid in the 1,5 hour?

Again, I know nothing about the end game for D2, that's why I'm not talking about this. I'm curious about patrols and exploration, really want to see more of this.

But hey, we're on the internet, no one is going to convince someone else here! Some people see D2 as a proper sequel and new game, I see it as a reboot for what they wanted to do with D1 and I'm illustrating my point with examples, in the end, saying that TTK felt more like a proper game changer than D2 seems to be.

Like, I don't see that much differences (I'm not saying this NO difference) between this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSQZKkmetU

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfbSN-NZXg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbNKQpBnyk

So seeing all the Destiny2 stuff really makes me want to play Destiny again, which I haven't done since I picked up TTK when it was on sale. My problem is that RoI has never gone on sale by itself. I've seen the collection go on sale several times, but never RoI. I might just try poking around the dreadnought and see if there are some TTK strikes/missions I haven't done just to get it out of my system.

GlamFM

Banned
Well, you didn't play D2, so how can you tell it's not? Speculation I guess?

RoI was like 20$ if I remember right (maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure)? So D2 will be like 60$, so maybe it will be 1,5 hour * 3 (like the price), so 4,5 hours? Did you count the Raid in the 1,5 hour?

Again, I know nothing about the end game for D2, that's why I'm not talking about this. I'm curious about patrols and exploration, really want to see more of this.

But hey, we're on the internet, no one is going to convince someone else here! Some people see D2 as a proper sequel and new game, I see it as a reboot for what they wanted to do with D1 and I'm illustrating my point with examples, in the end, saying that TTK felt more like a proper game changer than D2 seems to be.

Like, I don't see that much differences (I'm not saying this NO difference) between this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSQZKkmetU

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfbSN-NZXg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbNKQpBnyk

Ah! So what you're saying is TTK is more of a sequel than D2.

Why you feel like shitting up the community section is beyond me.

Is regular ass gaming side trolling not en vogue these days?

Dave_6

Yeah I really don't get these "looks like a D1 expansion" impressions at all. You could honestly say that about any sequel. My jaw dropped when it cut to the first gameplay in the tower.

Spoo

Yeah I really don't get these "looks like a D1 expansion" impressions at all. You could honestly say that about any sequel. My jaw dropped when it cut to the first gameplay in the tower.

These are likely people who stopped playing D1 long before The Dark Below even came out. Kind of hard to take their opinion into account when they don't actually know how far D1 has come over the last couple years (all of which changes will be in D2 to start with).

The first gameplay trailer in the tower is confirmed to be PC I think, which explains why it's visually so impressive in contrast with the PS4 stuff.

TyrantII

If D2 is really D1.5, then Halo 2 is Halo 1.5 and Uncharted 2 was Uncharted 1.5

It's stupid. I get it, since D1 has been constantly updated and feels more like a MMORPG game as a service, but the argument falls apart on close inspection. Sort of like the reskinned enemy argument, which also was wrong if you took closer looks at the models you were shooting rather then the visual archetype.

Speaking of which, take a close look and you'll notice a lot better animation, particle effects, lighting, shaders, then you have the new world playspaces and characters. There's a few things recycled, but they were refit for the new engine.

And that's not even including the bulk we haven't seen. From all appearances the only thing they didn't touch much was gunplay which is great news to me.

I can't believe we'll be playing Desitny 2 in less than 4 months and can't wait to explore the new areas and see what Lost Sectors/Adventures, etc are all about. I hope there are at least 8 new strikes debuting with the launch, hard to believe there were initially only 5 on Xbox and 6 on PS4 for vanilla Destiny (17 in total today with the one PS4 exclusive).

Raven117

I will never understand what the critics want in destiny. It seems they want a full fledge MMO in FPS skins.

I dunno.

I'm excited to play it because I love playing destiny with Gaf and my other friends. Though Im a little disapointed without the 60fps, thats about the only thing Im bummed about.

The rest...sign me up day 1 all the DLC. (And for heavens sakes, if there is a rocket launcher on sale in the first week or two, buy it).

Been liking the conversations/debates in here since the reveal!

I'm excited for Destiny 2. I got my rank 7 for the Age of Triumph last night. Shirt ordered. Watched the reveal as well as some of the coverage. VG247 has a subclass abilities video for each class. Here is the warlocks: http://www.vg247.com/2017/05/19/destiny-2-all-warlock-dawnblade-subclass-skills-and-abilities

They also have one for Titan and Hunter. Interesting take on each of the classes. I'm pumped to rock my Hunter.

With regards to the debate of if it is just Destiny 1.5: More Destiny is good for me. The past 3 years have been great and I am looking forward to the next 3. Has there been issues? Sure.. but hopefully Bungie will face them together, with the community (as they have attempted with D1).

Loving the look of the Gunslinger Hunter but I'm anxious to see what tweaks they do to the Nightstalker subclass given that they got rid of the Defender Titan and self-revive Sunsinger Warlock as the aforementioned Hunter subclass was extremely useful in raids as were the Defender/Sunsinger.

I'd love for every class/subclass to become viable in the new raid instead of having basically one for each class being mainstays and the idea of having to have a particular subclass be part of a Fireteam to complete a raid encounter.

WotM made strides towards subclass diversity, I hope it continues.

Xeroblade

After watching a bunch of gameplay, I was on the side of "Destiny 1.5" as well. but Datto has some great info in this video HERE

and it changed my mind. Is there a little bit of the same shit in there? yes, but there is also changes we have seen and probably a bunch of changes we have yet to see.
I get why people say it could just be dlc, it does look the same but how much and what did you want changed? Either way, I am there day one and will put 600+ hours into Destiny 2. It's more Destiny, can't really be mad at that.

Top Bottom