• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Anyone drinking during the beta? What you got in the cooling?

Some girl caught me lurking the beer isle and suggested this:

d1fd3ae754.jpeg

Lee

I want to be clear, I'm not criticizing how it operates now. I'm acknowledging that it's likely run that way for a reason. I'm just not aware of that reason and haven't had any desire to question it really because I don't see a need to question it.

Like, I'm sure it's been discussed and I trust they came to run it the way it is for a reason. That's all.

My original post on the topic was just me adding to the overall discussion what I think the only flaw is in the current way that it's run. But it's not a super huge deal to me either way.

Gotcha. Yeah, I couldn't tell you the reason either. You'd have to ask Xplicitone.

Dthomp

Too circle jerk-y.

And it moves too fast. If you're not there in the moment your lost.

I actually feel the same way. As somebody who still plays destiny more then 4 days a week it is just too much "other" crap to sift through. I know it's a chat program but man I just want to find people to do stuff with and every channel just turns into "random nonsense" from people going back and forth. Not to mention the "LFG" tab in my experiences (late central time zone) rarely even got the 1-2 people we would need in order to raid. Everybody loves the idea of discord, but only a handful use it regularly, I hope alot of users return to the board for D2

WipedOut

I actually feel the same way. As somebody who still plays destiny more then 4 days a week it is just too much "other" crap to sift through. I know it's a chat program but man I just want to find people to do stuff with and every channel just turns into "random nonsense" from people going back and forth. Not to mention the "LFG" tab in my experiences (late central time zone) rarely even got the 1-2 people we would need in order to raid. Everybody loves the idea of discord, but only a handful use it regularly, I hope alot of users return to the board for D2

well to be fair, like maybe only two people in there right now still play the game regularly.

When the new remastered raids came out LFG was pretty lively. It's just the community is in a lull right now waiting for the launch of D2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why don't we have a separate Destiny lfg thread? Or is that against some rule I'm not aware of?
I don't know if there's a rule against it or not but I also don't particularly see the need or benefit. There's no reason not to post LFG requests or ask for help in the OTs, right?

Jaraghan

You can still complete it. I did so with two blank pages (Trials and Raids) and the equivalent of 2 more blank as well. IIRC you need 60 nodes to complete the book (each three I did got me 5%). I can't remember how many nodes there are on each page, but that's your wiggle room.
Alright thanks. I'm pretty stoked about these veteran emblems. Surprisingly, I can get 6 out of the 7. Never did all Year 2 Moments of Triumphs nodes though :(

Trakan

https://m.imgur.com/a/j5pQQ

Sentinel Perk Tree's as of the beta.

It seems to be even better than what I was imagining. Health for the Sentinel and nearby allies on every melee kill?! Overshields for the Sentinel and nearby allies on every melee ability kill? Plus Ward of Dawn. Plus Overshields give faster reload, melee damage, and last longer.

First Cluster is just PvE Defender heaven. 2nd is more PvP.

Jesus Christ, not even counting the fact that it has 2 supers, Sentinel just flat out looks better than literally everything else.

Is there a link to the DestinyGAF discord somewhere? Looking to hookup with some others for Destiny 2 PC beta. Lack of friends is why I quit destiny 1.

Raven117

Posted from the other thread!

Im ready...My body is ready, GET HYPE, SON!

Can't wait for it all. Can't wait for the buttery smooth gameplay, a solid strike, and few awesome tricks.

Then I can't wait for everybody to get back on line and start beetching about it. How its 1.5...and yada yada. How "Bungo" is full of sheet...and how bad the weapons balancing is (its a beta). I can't wait for the incessant back and forth all week arguing about something that is supposed to be a test to iron all this out BEFORE launch, hence beta.

Can't wait for the preorders cancelled, and the massive moaning...

But everyone will be back...everyone will be there day 1, where we will love/hate Destiny all over again.

Give it to me Destiny 2! I had my forray with the Japanese games in the beginning of this year, and don't give me wrong, I loved it. Neir, Persona 5, Nioh, Zelda...all awesome, but bring me home baby. PEW PEW PEW!

All this discord vs OT talk..

Replace the window with the OT and the PC with discord in this meme:

13e.jpg
Code:

:p
some people feel the opposite, opinions!

But for real tho, the beta is upon us, both discord and the OT (beta OT i guess) will be moving fast probably. They also both have their advantages and disadvantages but coexist they must /shrug

I don't know if there's a rule against it or not but I also don't particularly see the need or benefit. There's no reason not to post LFG requests or ask for help in the OTs, right?

I guess. I've seen people comment on how most of the OT's comments have been lfg related. Seems to me that once you hit a certain percentage of posts being about something that it probably deserves a separate thread.

It would especially be of benefit to people who have no interest in looking for people to raid with or joining a train. Keeps the OT about everything else.

There's apps and websites dedicated to it, a dedicated thread might work.

Help related stuff would obviously still be in the OT.

I like how pc GAF have their separate trouble shooting threads for games.

How do y'all decide to what class to play? Is class decision that important in the game? I don't want to make a decision and regret it later.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So who is making the beta thread tomorrow?

Also, they're totally going to underestimate the demand, despite it being Destiny 2, and the servers are going to be a mess, aren't they?

How do y'all decide to what class to play? Is class decision that important in the game? I don't want to make a decision and regret it later.

You get three characters, so you can have one of each. Just pick one to start and play it until you want to try something else, then make/switch to another character.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You get three characters, so you can have one of each. Just pick one to start and play it until you want to try something else, then make/switch to another character.

As far as I'm concerned, Destiny is best played if you have all three characters.

And if the leveling system is basically the same as it has been in Destiny 1, getting your second and third characters to max light will be a fast process as you can just use weapons you already got on your first character and use that character's extra max light armor pieces as infusion fuel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Didn't we go through OT1 in a span of a few days prior to even Destiny being released? Man, the hype was insane then.
Yeah a little under a week, it was posted on September 2nd, and lasted until about an hour prior to the digital release of the game at midnight Sept 9th, west coast time.

The first page of OT2 contains 100 posts in the span of under 3 minutes, a rate of more than one post every 2 seconds. This was obviously before it was possible to have LFG posts or even talk about playing the actual game.

This is where all the trouble began.

I don't think a dedicated thread for LFG requests is necessary and if the issue was that Discord has reduced the activity level in this thread on the whole, I don't think further fragmentation into mulitple threads would help.

LFG requests weren't actually ever the majority of posts in an OT statistically speaking, even if it may have felt like because of the sheer volume of posters participating. What those posts did accomplish, to the community's benefit in my opinion, was bump the thread frequently and successively even if there was no "news" to discuss, which enabled lively discussions and sustained engagement- even if sometimes hard to follow. I can sympathize with the idea that it cluttered the thread, and the speed and volume of discussion did lead to a lot of repeated questions and retreading of ideas, but then this in turn led to the creation of FAQs and guides to address common topics, which were able to help out a greater number of individual posters than a slower-paced thread would have in total.

If having LFG posts within the thread is actually frowned upon by the mods or anything then a dedicated thread is a good idea because I will never expect everyone in the community to use Discord. But if not, I always considered them a net positive.

While my first class will be Warlock, I intend to make three different classes each to make things less stale

Speaking of DestinyGAF Discord, mind if I join in as well? :p

Sentinel just looks way to fun not to use. Titans in general.

Lol use the wall ability then Ward of Dawn behind it. Lol double Armor lock.

Whole team of Sentinels sounds annoying in Control.

Would anyone mind sending me the Discord info so I can join or is there some requirement to join that I'm unaware of?

There isn't a requirement, I think one of the mods just has to send the invite link. (I am not a mod.)

i thought they stopped production of 4 loco...
guinness blonde for me tomorrow..awwww yeahhhh...
I remember hearing the same, and buying a bunch on a lark soon after for a New Year's party, thinking I'd never see them again. But I've always seen them in gas stations and liquor stores since then, at least here in California.

Maybe they just had enough unsold stock to ride out the lapse in production.

Re: 4loko, they just had to change the formula to make it less dangerous.

Also.. anyone know what time they flip the switch on the servers? I'm guessing 10am~ ish Pacific?

Top Bottom