• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

BokehKing

Banned
Since no one on the Xbox platform has played that mission yet, the interest by the community to play a "new" mission is probably pretty big.
But what I'm saying is, we are comparing one mission, to all the 'new things' they will implement through out the year with out b. S. Exclusive stuff

For example
Bf4 on Xbox 1 got two dlc packs in like two weeks, but once the season pass stuff started to come out, it was at the same time across the board.

J-Rzez

My main issue with the whole exclusivity deal is the exclusive alpha (I don't know what the deal is with beta on PS4, but from what I know, it will be closed on Xbox One). I thought that much was clear from my post, but if it wasn't, I apologize. The game just doesn't look very appealing to me at the moment, and going by the impressions in the alpha thread, many people there also entered with low or lowered expectations, so I don't know why that point of view seems to be controversial to some of you.

Don't worry. Destiny is up to expectations of what Bungie can make. Their games have a certain "feel" to them in gameplay, and it's there. It's Halo with a tremendous helping of content plopped on top of it, thus creating even more depth. It feels great. Sorry you might not play it out of wrongful spite, perhaps your wounds will heal in time.

Shin-Ra

somebody needs to leak a convenient sob story about how this poor, poor dlc was gonna be canceled due to lack of budget. But then benevolent Sony arrived with a hat full of money, and generously paid for it's completion so that it may be enjoyed by gamers from all walks of life on Playstation (R) brand consoles.
This happened with Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall. True story!

artist

Banned
somebody needs to leak a convenient sob story about how this poor, poor dlc was gonna be canceled due to lack of budget. But then benevolent Sony arrived with a hat full of money, and generously paid for it's completion so that it may be enjoyed by gamers from all walks of life on Playstation (R) brand consoles.
Narrated in the lovely voice of Martin O'Donnell.

Cels

This happened with Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall. True story!

we know it happened with titanfall, from the final hours, but i thought dead rising was just a straight "we pay you, you make game for us" deal (like Ryse), none of this last-minute savior nonsense

Katsa

Banned

Hmm, I hadn't thought about this, this is an interesting point. So, that's Respawn, Capcom, Insomniac and PopCap. All with similar stories and all with anticipated games (not with Sony of course.)

Meh.

It's one strike level and a MP map and some gear.
I'll play it on the system where my friends have it. If it comes out in a year, okay. Who know if i'll even play the game in a year. It's very unlikely that this one level makes the game suddenly more better to play on a PS4.

As far as the gear goes, that gear will probablly become useless when you get to a higher level or find a better item. It's replaceable.

But hey, if you are one of those people that want to get "everything" of the DLC in a game, then sure, the PS4 is for you in the beginning.

SnakeEyes

Banned
IIRC:

- Titanfall signs with EA Partners, gets a set budget for the game
- Game development begins
- Zampella or West leaves (I don't remember which)
- Development continues 2-3 years
- Respawn burned through their budget with almost nothing to show for it
- EA would cancel the game unless outside funding arrived to lower risk
- MS stepped up in exchange for 1 year timed exclusivity
- Game continues development
- Disastrous Xbox One reveal
- Many gamers saying they'll wait for it to come to PS4
- MS pays EA an undisclosed amount for full exclusivity
- Internet rage en masse
- Internet hyping en masse
- Game comes out
- Falls off the face of the earth because of matchmaking and lack of content
- Titanfall 2 (probably) coming to PS4
- The wait begins

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Nope, you're pretty much correct on every point here. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at EA from the launch of the Xbone, and watched their responses to the lacklustre sales figures of the Xbone at the time of Titanfall's launch.

Except...Sunset OverDrive is an exclusive and so is TitanFall. This is coming to Xbox One, and has timed exclusivity for a year. They are not comparable.

I was actually talking about the below quote. People who feel betrayed.

He's probably talking about the people who scream "betrayal! Betrayal of the ones who made you big!" People.

Some Xbox people are really butthurt about this just like some PlayStation only owners were when Sunset Overdrive was announced.

Pretty much
Except the butthurt stuff

I don't mind what insomniac did, I don't want sunset over drive
What I wish they had was a new ratchet or resistance game on Sony though, but time will tell.

If you're into gaming to the point you go on forums, they should have known for about a year now ps4 was getting the special treatment.

They are doing a new and improved ratchet. But the feeling of knowing that the developer you grew up with, who you spent countless of dollars supporting went to the other side is what I'm talking about. Bungie fans are feeling that right now and it's warranted but at least Halo can continue on without Bungie despite the "Betrayal". Sony doesn't have a replacement Insomniac.

Sundown

Banned
Having read the thread and seen all the disingenuous comparisons and corporate cheerleading, I'm curious to see the reactions from certain posters when Microsoft pulls the same shit Sony has - and make no mistake, they will, and the more platform holders are lauded - of all things - the more this will escalate. Anyone noticed how there wasn't so much of a mention of XB1 versions of Watch Dogs and Destiny? How do you think Microsoft will respond? If you think they won't, then you haven't been paying attention, because Phil Spencer hasn't been name dropping Destiny in podcasts and on stage at E3 without reason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, as much as this is a shinier of two turds situation, I much prefer Microsoft's timed deals over Sony locking additional content for games they co-market like Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Watch Dogs for example.

Like other posters have pointed out, to some people it seems to be despicable money hatting when Microsoft does this kind of shit, but "smart marketing" when Sony does it. It's ridiculous. It doesn't matter who your "allegiance" lies with in the console war. A shitty practice is a shitty practice - regardless of who the platform holder is as, ultimately, gamers lose out.

Apathetic responses like "It doesn't affect me so I'm ok with it" are equally bad. Of course it affects you. Unless you own all platforms - in which case you are in the minority and the majority is still affected by this.

No practice of delivering less content to other paying customers is a good thing. It's a shitty practice that needs to die.

Just my two cents.

Shin-Ra

Having read the thread and seen all the disingenuous comparisons and corporate cheerleading, I'm curious to see the reactions from certain posters when Microsoft pulls the same shit Sony has - and make no mistake, they will, and the more platform holders are lauded - of all things - the more this will escalate. Anyone noticed how there wasn't so much of a mention of XB1 versions of Watch Dogs and Destiny? How do you think Microsoft will respond? If you think they won't, then you haven't been paying attention, because Phil Spencer hasn't been name dropping Destiny in podcasts and on stage at E3 without reason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, as much as this is a shinier of two turds situation, I much prefer Microsoft's timed deals over Sony locking additional content for games they co-market like Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Watch Dogs for example.

Like other posters have pointed out, to some people it seems to be despicable money hatting when Microsoft does this kind of shit, but "smart marketing" when Sony does it. It's ridiculous. It doesn't matter who your "allegiance" lies with in the console war. A shitty practice is a shitty practice - regardless of who the platform holder is as, ultimately, gamers lose out.
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest money hatters IN THE WORLD. They CREATED MoneyHatting, the standard MH$’s that everyone deals against. So while people laude Sony for their INDIE skills, do you really think Microsoft don’t know how to build a proposal optimized for maximizing saltiness for ponies? Seriously? There is no way they're giving up a Bungie advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running Destiny say they are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be dishonorable.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more exclusives, they did it with PS3, they did it with PS2, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, exclusives on MS' system looked the same or better.

BokehKing

Banned
Don't blame Bungie blame Microsoft is what I'm saying, Bungie wanted to branch out and do this for you, Microsoft probably said

"no Moar halo"

If Microsoft played their cards right, it wouldn't have mattered.

End of the day, it's coming out on 4 systems, you're getting your 1080p, they didn't betray anyone

Sony fans have more of a right to be mad at insomniac than Microsoft fans have to be at Bungie.

Again, there is 'no' betrayal.

Sundown

Banned
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest money hatters IN THE WORLD. They CREATED MoneyHatting, the standard MH$’s that everyone deals against. So while people laude Sony for their INDIE skills, do you really think Microsoft don’t know how to build a proposal optimized for maximizing saltiness for ponies? Seriously? There is no way they're giving up a Bungie advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running Destiny say they are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be dishonorable.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more exclusives, they did it with PS3, they did it with PS2, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, exclusives on MS' system looked the same or better.

I understand you have nothing of value to add to the discussion, but this is a waste of everybody's time - including your own.

Ishan

I don't even know what to say to that .....

I'll give you the PS2 Xbox era, but PS3? I say this as someone who was primarily a 360 man last gen...only the Gears of War games looked anywhere close to the likes of Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, etc. Sure there were some mediocre looking exclusives * cough - Resistance - but this is just plain silly.

Back on topic - I'm in the camp of "so what?" MS started this nonsense during the 360 era, now it's become standard practice for one publisher or another to offer exclusive DLC to one platform or the other. MS fans crying foul have no leg to stand on since this practice has benefited them up until now.

artist

Banned

Apathetic responses like "It doesn't affect me so I'm ok with it" are equally bad. Of course it affects you. Unless you own all platforms - in which case you are in the minority and the majority is still affected by this.

No practice of delivering less content to other paying customers is a good thing. It's a shitty practice that needs to die.

Just my two cents.
Again, can you point out who's done this?

seriously? PS3, PS4 and PC users are still waiting for Peggle2 and garden warfare due to a MS moneyhat. I would rather the game be available day1

iQ5LsXa4pEvpH.gif

Jagernaut

I'll give you the PS2 Xbox era, but PS3? I say this as someone who was primarily a 360 man last gen...only the Gears of War games looked anywhere close to the likes of Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, etc. Sure there were some mediocre looking exclusives * cough - Resistance - but this is just plain silly.

Back on topic - I'm in the camp of "so what?" MS started this nonsense during the 360 era, now it's become standard practice for one publisher or another to offer exclusive DLC to one platform or the other. MS fans crying foul have no leg to stand on since this practice has benefited them up until now.

It's a joke based on one of Albert Penello's ridiculous posts.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I understand you have nothing of value to add to the discussion, but this is a waste of everybody's time - including your own.

I don't even know what to say to that .....

Some GAF history:

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

Sundown

Banned
Again, can you point out who's done this?

Read the thread again, and this time keep an eye out for posters that have criticised MS for similar practices. There are plenty of them in this thread alone.

seriously? PS3, PS4 and PC users are still waiting for Peggle2 and garden warfare due to a MS moneyhat. I would rather the game be available day1

Really? Cause you'll eventually get to play Garden Warfare. I'll never get to play any of the exclusive content Sony moneyhats. How is your situation worse than mine? Especially when you consider how much that exclusive content adds up over time.

cakely

ohYY5.jpg

reKon

Banned

Edit: OK I missed this reference

Really? Cause you'll eventually get to play Garden Warfare. I'll never get to play any of the exclusive content Sony moneyhats. How is your situation worse than mine? Especially when you consider how much that exclusive content adds up over time.

Really? Cause you'll eventually get to play Destiny with that insignificant dlc. If we gotta wait for a whole game, you can wait for a few pieces of dlc.

What's much worse, we have to wait for the list of people he repeatedly speaks about.

The funny thing is, I remember it was said Destiny was to originally a timed exclusive on Microsoft's platforms first back in 2012? If wonder if he would even be arguing this if that remained the case?

Interesting development:

UPDATE 6/23/14 1:15pm Activision has told Eurogamer that Destiny's PlayStation-exclusive content will remain exclusive until "fall 2015".

UPDATE 6/23/14 5:05pm Activision has contacted Eurogamer again to retract it's earlier comments and state that, for now, it has yet to formally announce any details regarding the Destiny content's timed exclusivity.

(Reformated for 'Merica)

Original article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Interesting development:

UPDATE 6/23/14 1:15pm Activision has told Eurogamer that Destiny's PlayStation-exclusive content will remain exclusive until "fall 2015".

UPDATE 6/23/14 5:05pm Activision has contacted Eurogamer again to retract it's earlier comments and state that, for now, it has yet to formally announce any details regarding the Destiny content's timed exclusivity.

(Reformated for 'Merica)

Original article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph
WTF, get your story straight Activision!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yeah no...I'm all up for this now Xbox owners get to feel how it feels like to wait for timed content to release on the console of their choice the same way I felt with anything Bethesda related on Xbox 360 where I had to wait for content to come to PS3.

Top Bottom