• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of open world level design, just as much as Resident Evil's level design or portal's mechanics etc...

Let's not overlook the things Destiny does brilliantly just because we're unhappy with the overall product.

Ehhhhhh... I dunno. Skyrim's open worlds strike me as a much more impressive achievement in open world level design.

antitrop

What about Gears of War? Looking back anyone who gave that game a 8/10 was smoking crack
Yup, what a classic.

No matter how douchey Cliff Bleszinski can ever be sometimes, he's the guy that made fucking Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, and Gears of War. Dude's legend status, for sure, I don't think anything can ever take that away from him.

Ehhhhhh... I dunno. Skyrim's open worlds strike me as a much more impressive achievement in open world level design.
Or GTA V, even. GTA V is the closest any game has gotten to recreating the feel of its source material, while still feeling fresh, new, and exciting. The direct similarities to the actual city of LA are absolutely a colossal achievement.

Trey

Docsuess where is you AotCR review, breh? As you can see, the people are fiending for some Halo retrospectives.

Yup, what a classic.

No matter how douchey Cliff Bleszinski can ever be sometimes, he's the guy that made fucking Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, and Gears of War. Dude's legend status, for sure, I don't think anything can ever take that away from him.

Or GTA V, even.

Yeah. It's not that Destiny's worlds aren't impressive (visually, at least), but it's tough to stack them up against GTAV or Skyrim and declare them the winner.

Steel

Banned
Yeah. It's not that Destiny's worlds aren't impressive (visually, at least), but it's tough to stack them up against GTAV or Skyrim and declare them the winner.

I'd say it's tough to stack them against borderlands and call Destiny the winner in those terms. Maybe if we're just talking skyboxes? Destiny certainly has the prettiest sky boxes I've ever seen.

How exactly is Destiny is a colossal achievement?

The following things are colossal achievements:

1. The graphics of Mario 64;
2. The perfect gameplay of Goldeneye;
3. The setpieces in Uncharted 2;
4. The mechanics of Portal;
5. The storytelling in The Last of Us;
6. The beautiful world of Los Santos and Blaine County in GTAV; and
7. The level design in Resident Evil 4.

In no way shape or form is Destiny a colossal anything, other than moneymaker.

I'm not familiar with Resident Evil 4, but that is a great list.

And I'm now interested in RE4.

Steel

Banned
Borderlands 2, at least. Maybe not Borderlands 1.

Yeah, Borderlands 1 was pretty bland desert/barren everywhere until expansions. Still, the game had you using the open-world pretty consistently, instead of as a substitute for going from point a to b.

antitrop

I'm not familiar with Resident Evil 4, but that is a great list.

And I'm now interested in RE4.

Oh mother of fucking God, Resident Evil 4's level design is text-book perfection. It is always taking you to new and exciting areas, while still maintaining some backtracking to keep the world feeling cohesive, but it always adds a neat little spin on the backtracking so that it never feels monotonous.

Resident Evil 4 is one of those games that when I start thinking about it, all that fills my head are superlatives. I played it on GC when it first came out and it's always been one of my Top 10 games, and I'm working my way through the new definitive PC version in 60fps and it's too good for me to handle.

So I been playing it today for the first time, took my character to lvl 9 and I truly am enjoying it, I like the shooting and to look for loot and uncommon drops. I been playing co-op with my brother who is lvl 18 and find it awesome that I can join his story progression and missions even though I am only a lvl 9. I tried the multi player thing too, not enjoying that so much yet but I guess I will get used to it.

I'm enjoying it, I'm happy I didn't follow the reviews on this one.

antitrop

I liked Destiny when I was Level 9, too.

Bungie says it takes 20 hours to get better, but it took me 20 hours to figure out why it wasn't for me.

This might sound weird but Destiny feels like a studio's first game. They had massive ambitions but ended up forgetting basic things like content and story. There's almost no variety in missions. It's basically collect X, kill X, or defend X. The Sword of Crota is about the only variety offered which is really fun to use. Vehicles are fun to use but outside of 1-2 missions they aren't used at all except to get from point A to point B. Enemy variety is also pretty lacking. There's around 15 different non-boss enemies but only about 5 that function differently from others. Like many reviewers have said it feels likes there's a big hole of content missing which is confusing for a game in some form of development for 6-7 years.

Synth

I found that Halo took 2-3 games to get interesting, this however may never get that chance, but that's life.

Halo barely took 2-3 levels to become interesting.

What's really fascinating to me about Destiny is that it, like Halo: Combat Evolved, is incredibly repetitive in level/encounter design.

I see a lot of parallels between the two games when viewed in this manner. Both are great games but very flawed in some ways.

I'm sorry, but comparing the repetitive nature of Destiny to Halo:CE is flat out taking the piss. The very first level has you sneaking through interjoining corridors, attempting to find an exit with less/no enemy resistance. The next level had you combating enemies both on foot or in vehicles (multiple types too), actually exploring the area and being able to approach the battle in many different ways. Then there was a level that started out with you carefully picking enemies off with a sniper rifle... taking care not to alert the rest of the group with each shot. You had a "storm the beach" setting where you and a group of AI units pushed forward against the enemies attempting to hold the line. You had THAT bridge to cross. You had areas where you could catch the enemies sleeping and take them out without any of them being awake to fight back. You had battles that took place in the sky...

This doesn't even take into account the fact that the weapon combinations and enemy AI already make Halo more dynamic before all the superior encounter design is applied. You can replay the same battles in Halo repeatedly and have the battle play out dramatically different each time. Even failing to kill a certain enemy with the first shot you take can mean you end up fighting half the battle ill-equipped because you didn't get to utilize the weapon they would have otherwise dropped. Or succeeding may have just caused a load of the smaller enemies to charge at you waving explosives. Destiny gives me less variation in different battles than Halo often does playing the same battle multiple times. And Halo's battles aren't even supposed to be grinded for how ever many hundreds of hours to unlock stuff.

You're probably just thinking of The Library and Guilty Spark's endless monologues, as you defend against wave after wave of the same enemies as he unlocks yet another door. Because yea... that part was a lot like Destiny.

ethomaz

Banned
Because in reading his posts I've noticed he seems personally offended by anyone who doesn't agree that Destiny sucks.
No lol... I didn't read his posts before. I'm not offended with him too... neither by the reviews... but it is weird when a reviews says good things people here trash it.

I agree with the point of the low score reviews but I see and enjoyed the game like GI... so is it score wrong? I don't think so.

Edit - What I really know is the game didn't deserves a 4/10 like the las YouTube review posted here :D 4/10 is near 2/10 that is unplayable to me.

I don't know if Goldeneye was as big in the US as it was in the UK, but it's hard to overstate its importance: it was the only console FPS that anyone played throughout the entire PS-N64-Saturn generation. It wasn't just the game of the year - it was the only shooter people played with their friends for about 3-4 years straight on saturday mornings. Never got boring. Never needed DLC or special updates or sequels to make it more fun. It was just designed to be fun from day one and to not get boring.

And it was made by 10 people, eight of whom had never previously worked on video games.

Meanwhile, the $500 billion dollar production machine for Destiny got so out of hand that they brought in Paul McCartney to write an original song for it...

HTupolev

Have you played Keyes recently?
Not in the last couple weeks, but yes, more or less. It's phenomenal.

I do have some more reservations about it than most of Halo 1, as it's got the Flood intensity of The Library but with a comparatively skinny dance floor... there are a few spots that arguably get a tad chaotic on legendary. But it mostly manages to work well, and it's delightfully grim and intense.

Compared with Destiny's levels, Keyes has a much more defined and purposeful high-level structure. It also features far more variety in encounter design, and IMO Halo 1's gunplay is substantially more conducive toward letting different encounters feel different than Destiny is.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d.../2014/09/15/destiny-game-informer-review.aspx

jennifer_lawrence_okay.gif

Game Informer continues to be the same score-inflating shills they've always been.

They've actually given some pretty harsh scores on the level of GameSpot in the past. The outlet for example was completely against ZombiU since its announcement and gave the other 4.0 score next to the worse-to-read one from McGee at GameSpot.

But yeah, that's a fucking ridiculous score and read, coming from the guy who just bought the game AGAIN for PS4. I don't see what it achieved beyond one of the most stable network launches.

Edit: Who the hell is dissing Gears of War? Don't see what is with Destiny that is making folks retroactively shitting on good games.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Destiny's design decisions are amateur-hour shite.

I am gonna miss the first raid runs because some dirtbag at Bungie decided that the guy who sells levels should only exist for two days a week.

Fucking glorious.

Muffdraul

I don't know if Goldeneye was as big in the US as it was in the UK, but it's hard to overstate its importance: it was the only console FPS that anyone played throughout the entire PS-N64-Saturn generation. It wasn't just the game of the year - it was the only shooter people played for about 3-4 years straight. Never got boring. Never needed DLC or special updates or sequels to make it more fun. It was just designed to be fun from day one and to not get boring.

And it was made by 10 people, eight of whom had never previously worked on video games.

Meanwhile, the $500 billion dollar production machine for Destiny got so out of hand that they brought in Paul McCartney to write an original song for it...

Turok was better than Goldeneye. Everybody knows it, they just won't admit it. Some kind of communist conspiracy or something...

Not in the last couple weeks, but yes, more or less. It's phenomenal.

I do have some more reservations about it than most of Halo 1, as it's got the Flood intensity of The Library but with a comparatively skinny dance floor... there are a few spots that arguably get a tad chaotic on legendary. But it mostly manages to work well, and it's delightfully grim and intense.

Compared with Destiny's levels, Keyes has a much more defined and purposeful high-level structure. It also features far more variety in encounter design, and IMO Halo 1's gunplay is substantially more conducive toward letting different encounters feel different than Destiny is.

If you consider "variety" in encounter design to be narrow hallways, monster closets, and the majority of enemies that you fight just rush at you, I guess? The design in Keyes is subpar in too many ways; not even Destiny's worse sink to its level.

RSB

Banned
What's really fascinating to me about Destiny is that it, like Halo: Combat Evolved, is incredibly repetitive in level/encounter design.

I see a lot of parallels between the two games when viewed in this manner. Both are great games but very flawed in some ways.
Silent Cartographer alone has more variety than the entirety of Destiny. Same for Halo, AotCR and Two Betrayals. Destiny doesn't even have one vehicle for multiple players, like the Warthog or the Scorpion, or a flying vehicle, like the Banshee.

The encounters were also more diverse and had better flow in Halo, with cool mechanics, like the classic plasma weapon to remove shields + headshot, or the shoot fleeing grunt in the back + headshot. The most interesting mechanic present in Destiny is stunning those cabal with shields and follow with a headshot, which is basically another version of the classic jackal stun + headshot. Halo also didn't have awful bullet sponge enemies like Destiny does. The fact that you could pick up weapons on the fly also helped make the encounters more dynamic and interesting. And that's without mentioning the vehicle battles, which are almost non-existent in Destiny, sadly.

The weapons also managed to feel more diverse, with cool alien weapons like the plasma pistol and the needler. Destiny only has 9 weapon types, and none of them is especially interesting. Only the fusion rifle kind of tries to be somewhat original, all the other are just variations of the standard weapons present in pretty much every FPS (pistols, machine guns, rifles and rocket launchers)

And that's just Halo CE. If you also consider the sequels, the comparison is even less favorable for Destiny. Gameplay mechanics like vehicle boarding, flood resucitating corpses, or using the plasma pistol EMP to disable vehicles. Weapons like the gravity hammer, the energy sword, the spartan laser, the brute shot or the grenade launcher. Vehicles like the wraith, the brute chopper, the hornet, the falcon or the revenant. And what about levels like Delta Halo, Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark or The Covenant, all of them also better designed and more varied than anything you can find in Destiny. Or features like theater mode, firefight, and forge? Destiny doesn't even give you the option to play custom games or split screen co-op/MP (both of which were already included in Halo CE, thirteen years ago) or choose what gameplay modifiers (skulls) you want when replaying levels, or play strikes alone (unless you are playing the weekly, you are always forced into matchmaking)

What was Bungie thinking? IDK, but I'm glad the critics are being "harsh" on Destiny. Hopefully they will get back on track with Destiny 2, because this game is lacking in so many aspects it's not even funny. I expect much better from Bungie.

Betty

Banned
Turok was better than Goldeneye. Everybody knows it, they just won't admit it. Some kind of communist conspiracy or something...

Turok was never better than Goldeneye, certainly not in multiplayer and it didn't even approach Perfect Dark either.

frequency

I think it is an achievement making millions of shooter fans play a Monster Hunter like repetitive grinding game, complete with super high health bosses, running through the same few areas indefinitely, and stupid drop rates.

I don't like Destiny quite as much (mainly because I'm not a shooter fan and I particularly dislike ADS systems) but I can totally understand a 9 (8.75, whatever, fractions of scores are stupid) score for the game in its current state just as much as I understand a 6.

Synth

Make it Turok 2 with it's hilarity inducing Cerebral Bore and levitating waterways, and you have a deal. Headshot motherfuckers.

Synth

Turok 2 was one if my favourite games at the time.

Present day me has a stomach ache thinking about those frame rates.

I'm leaving it as a memory.

Someone at work brought an N64 in the other week and we decided to all play some GoldenEye matches on it... was not a good idea.

Synth

How good has this thread become? We're now discussing Turok and GoldenEye. I'm starting to feel like I really know you guys. :p

This should be moved to the community section, so we can argue Destiny vs every other game in existence forever.

Sirim

Today was the day.

Today was the day I heard someone on GAF say Destiny's open world was more impressive than Skyrim's.

Turok was great . . . but better than GoldenEye? Nope. GoldenEye had great missions, variety of missions, interesting animation, AWESOME music, etc.

It doesn't stand up well today because the technology is so old but for its day, it was revolutionary. Pretty much the only truly great movie-inspired videogame.

Maybe in 2014.

In 2006, you're crazy, there was nothing like it. Except Kill.Switch. And that didn't have multiplayer... or good graphics. Or a chainsaw.

I never really liked the way it controlled. Too sluggish and weighty. I also didn't care about the story or characters, but that's no big deal.

Great graphics, co-op, fun multiplayer... but at the end of the day I just wasn't feeling it that much = 8/10

I really tried to love it, since it's the game I bought a 360 for.

Silent Cartographer alone has more variety than the entirety of Destiny. Same for Halo, AotCR and Two Betrayals. Destiny doesn't even have one vehicle for multiple players, like the Warthog or the Scorpion, or a flying vehicle, like the Banshee.

The encounters were also more diverse and had better flow in Halo, with cool mechanics, like the classic plasma weapon to remove shields + headshot, or the shoot fleeing grunt in the back + headshot. The most interesting mechanic present in Destiny is stunning those cabal with shields and follow with a headshot, which is basically another version of the classic jackal stun + headshot. Halo also didn't have awful bullet sponge enemies like Destiny does. The fact that you could pick up weapons on the fly also helped make the encounters more dynamic and interesting. And that's without mentioning the vehicle battles, which are almost non-existent in Destiny, sadly.

The weapons also managed to feel more diverse, with cool alien weapons like the plasma pistol and the needler. Destiny only has 9 weapon types, and none of them is especially interesting. Only the fusion rifle kind of tries to be somewhat original, all the other are just variations of the standard weapons present in pretty much every FPS (pistols, machine guns, rifles and rocket launchers)

And that's just Halo CE. If you also consider the sequels, the comparison is even less favorable for Destiny. Gameplay mechanics like vehicle boarding, flood resucitating corpses, or using the plasma pistol EMP to disable vehicles. Weapons like the gravity hammer, the energy sword, the spartan laser, the brute shot or the grenade launcher. Vehicles like the wraith, the brute chopper, the hornet, the falcon or the revenant. And what about levels like Delta Halo, Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark or The Covenant, all of them also better designed and more varied than anything you can find in Destiny. Or features like theater mode, firefight, and forge? Destiny doesn't even give you the option to play custom games or split screen co-op/MP (both of which were already included in Halo CE, thirteen years ago) or choose what gameplay modifiers (skulls) you want when replaying levels, or play strikes alone (unless you are playing the weekly, you are always forced into matchmaking)

What was Bungie thinking? IDK, but I'm glad the critics are being "harsh" on Destiny. Hopefully they will get back on track with Destiny 2, because this game is lacking in so many aspects it's not even funny. I expect much better from Bungie.

Yup. Competitive multiplayer is broken as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom