• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Ivy

Just my 2 cents.

I think the game is gorgeous, as in: it's so gorgeous!
I've never felt so much into a world as in Destiny, the design of the characters and worlds is great. The amount of detail is outstanding and really, the different worlds, they are beautyful and alien.

I love riding around, I'm really enjoying the MP and playing the missions with my buddy.
I love that it's not overcrowded and it's a very solid shooter.

I don't like the high volume music, had to quit playing with headphones to avoid headaches, I hope they give an option, I hate going adventuring with an ipod.
I find it weird they didn't offer a name option, some usernames really are goofy, for this kind of online FPS I feel they should have offered the option.

Steel

Banned
Far Cry 3 gets close at times, but the others get nowhere near imo.

Why do you think that? Honest question, I'm not seeing what's great about Destiny's open world. It really seems like a "get from point a to point b" thing until you get into an instance, and the other games mentioned actually consistently use their open world. Unless you're just talking about how pretty they are, in which case, sure Destiny has a pretty open world.

Turok was great . . . but better than GoldenEye? Nope. GoldenEye had great missions, variety of missions, interesting animation, AWESOME music, etc.

It doesn't stand up well today because the technology is so old but for its day, it was revolutionary. Pretty much the only truly great movie-inspired videogame.

A shitton of Star Wars games would like to have a word with you.

Zakalwe

Banned
Why do you think that? Honest question, I'm not seeing what's great about Destiny's open world. It really seems like a "get from point a to point b" thing until you get into an instance, and the other games mentioned actually consistently use their open world. Unless you're just talking about how pretty they are, in which case, sure Destiny has a pretty open world.

The structures, the pathways, the dug outs, the buildings and tunnels are all incredibly interesting to move through and over and fight across.

It's not interactive or dense with "meaningful" content, and plenty of it is just there without having any real reason to explore, but the environments and pathways themselves are intricate and beautiful. I guess it's a shame they didn't make more use of them.

I don't see how anyone could call BL2's environments more interesting. They're so much flatter and boxy in comparison.

Or GTA V, even. GTA V is the closest any game has gotten to recreating the feel of its source material, while still feeling fresh, new, and exciting. The direct similarities to the actual city of LA are absolutely a colossal achievement.

I've recently just come back from a trip in L.A. and up the pacific highway, and on returning, replayed GTA V. The whole time I was like, this shit is bananas. I had no idea how much detail they had gone to, how much care they had put into recreating that crazy city. I can only speak for the parts I saw: Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the hills to the north of the city, Getty Centre / Observatory, Santa Monica / Venice Beach, but wow...everything was bang on. There was some little parking lots in the Vinewood area that I could swear I walked past in real life. People who live in L.A. and that area must love exploring Los Santos and finding little-known places they've been and knowing that it's been recreated in the game.

HTupolev

If you consider "variety" in encounter design to be narrow hallways, monster closets, and the majority of enemies that you fight just rush at you, I guess?
Every single encounter I've come across in Destiny has had a similar flow to it: run and jump until I've line-of-sight isolated a pocket, corridor-ADS-fight the pocket until it's destroyed or I'm in danger, rinse and repeat. Sometimes with a bit of variation from throwing down a super or rocket, or running to revive a teammate. Ultimately having teammates does mix things up a bit, but not all that much. It doesn't matter if I'm using snipes on Vex or handcannon on Cabal, the general flow of things feels very similar. Trying to go too far away from this cycle has generally proven to be a bad idea. The only thing that changes much is the exact visceral shootbang response I get, which is admittedly pretty damned good. And it's not a bad cycle, it's quite enjoyable; if it wasn't, I probably wouldn't still be playing Destiny. But it's what there is.

Keyes has corridor shoots, it has you dancing, it has you approaching fortified lines and thinking of ways to obliterate or bypass them, it has coarse-grained structure. As do all of Halo 1's levels. Halo 1 almost feels like its core gameplay has an entire extra dimension compared with Destiny, and the design of the level exploits it. Yes, there are lots of monster closets in Keyes. But they're different monster closets, and the way the resulting encounter plays out has lots of its own characteristics and flavour.

That's not because Bungie had a well-thought-out or polished design, because obviously Halo 1 is a rushed product that's held together with scotch tape and popsicle sticks. It's because Halo 1 has a core gameplay that's more conducive to that sort of variety, and because Destiny's levels were deliberately designed to have similar structure as each other.

Synth

The structures, the pathways, the dug outs, the buildings and tunnels are all incredibly interesting to move through and over and fight across.

It's not interactive or dense with "meaningful" content, and plenty of it is just there without having any real reason to explore, but the environments and pathways themselves are intricate and beautiful. I guess it's a shame they didn't make more use of them.

I don't see how anyone could call BL2's environments more interesting. They're so much flatter and boxy in comparison.

I found Borderlands' environments more interesting (I've only really played the first one). Each of the areas felt like a real place, and not just a "map". You had an idea of who occupies this place, and why things were where they are. In Destiny I see these formations, but have no understanding of why they're here. Especially when it takes me a mile in one direction, only to then be a complete dead end. Destiny's world looks nicer than Borderlands' (and pretty much every other open-world game)... but I don't think they're amazingly designed. If anything they often feel generated.

Steel

Banned

It's not interactive or dense with "meaningful" content, an plenty of it is just there without having any real reason to explore, but the environments and pathways themselves are intricate and beautiful.

So what you're saying is, Destiny's open world is really pretty with a nice variety of landscapes, but you have no real reason to use it beyond canned sidequests from beacons. And this open world is populated by people guarding random ruins, and spots in the middle of nowhere for your shooting convenience. Exploring gives you chests that more often than not won't give you anything significant, and by endgame you don't need the money they spit out.

Borderlands 2 gave you a reason to use the open world. You would find side quests, npcs, and side quest objectives in the open world. You're rewarded for exploring a cave, the tops of buildings, etc, more often than not with a loot chest, or hidden quest, or a miniboss, or lockers/dung piles full of ammo and cash. The enemies never feel like they're out of place. You see a bandit? That's because you're in a bandit camp. You see an animal? Its nest is nearby.

To me Destiny's open world really feels like a "why bother" addition to the game.

Every single encounter I've come across in Destiny has had a similar flow to it: run and jump until I've line-of-sight isolated a pocket, corridor-ADS-fight the pocket until it's destroyed or I'm in danger, rinse and repeat. Sometimes with a bit of variation from throwing down a super or rocket, or running to revive a teammate. Ultimately having teammates does mix things up a bit, but not all that much. It doesn't matter if I'm using snipes on Vex or handcannon on Cabal, the general flow of things feels very similar. Trying to go too far away from this cycle has generally proven to be a bad idea. The only thing that changes much is the exact visceral shootbang response I get, which is admittedly pretty damned good. And it's not a bad cycle, it's quite enjoyable; if it wasn't, I probably wouldn't still be playing Destiny. But it's what there is.

Keyes has corridor shoots, it has you dancing, it has you approaching fortified lines and thinking of ways to obliterate or bypass them, it has coarse-grained structure. As do all of Halo 1's levels. Halo 1 almost feels like its core gameplay has an entire extra dimension compared with Destiny, and the design of the level exploits it. Yes, there are lots of monster closets in Keyes. But they're different monster closets, and the way the resulting encounter plays out has lots of its own characteristics and flavour.

That's not because Bungie had a well-thought-out or polished design, because obviously Halo 1 is a rushed product that's held together with scotch tape and popsicle sticks. It's because Halo 1 has a core gameplay that's more conducive to that sort of variety, and because Destiny's levels were deliberately designed to have similar structure as each other.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I could replay Keyes a thousand times and not see the good design you're describing. And I think Destiny's combat is pretty great and dynamic, just like Halo's (which makes sense, they share a lot of similar elements).

Zakalwe

Banned
So what you're saying is, Destiny's open world is really pretty with a nice variety of landscapes, but you have no real reason to use it beyond canned sidequests from beacons. And this open world is populated by people guarding random ruins, and spots in the middle of nowhere for your shooting convenience. Exploring gives you chests that more often than not won't give you anything significant, and by endgame you don't need the money they spit out.

Borderlands 2 gave you a reason to use the open world. You would find side quests, npcs, and side quest objectives in the open world. You're rewarded for exploring a cave, the tops of buildings, etc, more often than not with a loot chest, or hidden quest, or a miniboss, or lockers/dung piles full of ammo and cash. The enemies never feel like they're out of place. You see a bandit? That's because you're in a bandit camp. You see an animal? Its nest is nearby.

To me Destiny's open world really feels like a "why bother" addition to the game.

Lack of reason to explore an environment doesn't take away from the fact the environment itself is amazingly well designed and deserving of praise.

It just sucks that it hasn't been utilised in more interesting ways. Much like the sprawling caves and huge underground lagoons in FC3 that were /just there/.

It wouldn't even take much to make Destiny's patrols more interesting. Add more meaningful loot chests scattered about, maybe a legendary or exotic chest that can spawn, a few NPCs who give story driven quest lines, some unique boss types that spawn randomly or actually patrolling enemies, increase public events and make them more interesting. Etc...

Even now I enjoy running from beacon to beacon because the environments are just so damn fun to navigate, but that will be fleeting.

They have such beautiful groundwork. Now they need to utilise it more.

Steel

Banned

Lack of reason to explore an environment doesn't take away from the fact the environment itself is amazingly well designed and deserving of praise.

It just sucks that it hasn't been utilised in more interesting ways. Much like the sprawling caves and huge underground lagoons in FC3 that were /just there/.

It wouldn't even take much to make Destiny's patrols more interesting. Add more meaningful loot chests scattered about, maybe a legendary or exotic chest that can spawn, a few NPCs who give story driven quest lines, some unique boss types that spawn randomly or actually patrolling enemies, increase public events and make them more interesting. Etc...

Even now I enjoy running from beacon to beacon because the environments are just so damn fun to navigate, but that will be fleeting.

They have such beautiful groundwork. Now they need to utilise it more.

I'll give that the environments by themselves are great, but as you said they need to be utilized. As it stands now, I don't know why these environments exist.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'll give that the environments by themselves are great, but as you said they need to be utilized. As it stands now, I don't know why these environments exist.

If we're going to have a world that's only this interactive I'm damn glad the foundation environment is so intricate and beautiful.

Imagine if it wasn't and everything else was the same.

Synth

I find it a bit strange to claim the open world design to be "top tier" and say that other games don't come anywhere near it, and then acknowledge that the creators need to... you know... DO something with it. That's (a rather important) part of the design! It's not like Destiny's maps are Quake/Unreal Tournament tier layouts... they're just nice looking. Other games have nice looking environments that actually feel finished.

Again it seems a bit like handing someone an award for potential, over others that actually got shit done.

If you consider "variety" in encounter design to be narrow hallways, monster closets, and the majority of enemies that you fight just rush at you, I guess? The design in Keyes is subpar in too many ways; not even Destiny's worse sink to its level.

I get what you're saying, but I think I'd rather play Keyes than fight Phogoth ever again.

Zakalwe

Banned
I find it a bit strange to claim the open world design to be "top tier" and say that other games don't come anywhere near it, and then acknowledge that the creators need to... you know... DO something with it. That's (a rather important) part of the design! It's not like Destiny's maps are Quake/Unreal Tournament tier layouts... they're just nice looking. Other games have nice looking environments that actually feel finished.

Again it seems a bit like handing someone an award for potential, over others that actually got shit done.

When I said "open world" I meant "environments".

The /environments/ are top tier. They should be praised for their great design even if they're never utilised because the people who designed the environments themselves did a great fucking job.

I can see so many areas ripe for enemy encounters or hidden treasures etc... It's because they did such a great job shaping the place that it doesn't take much imagination to see how many of these empty areas could be fleshed out.

I can only imagine it was lack of time that lead to them being under-utilised.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
How exactly is Destiny is a colossal achievement?

The following things are colossal achievements:

1. The graphics of Mario 64;
2. The perfect gameplay of Goldeneye;
3. The setpieces in Uncharted 2;
4. The mechanics of Portal;
5. The storytelling in The Last of Us;
6. The beautiful world of Los Santos and Blaine County in GTAV; and
7. The level design in Resident Evil 4.

In no way shape or form is Destiny a colossal anything, other than moneymaker.

I actually think the open world level design of Destiny is top tier.

Destiny's achievement according to Bungie, and I am paraphrasing here, is evolution. It's currently like a puking infant that will one day with the aid of time (of myriad of players) and money (dlc & sequels) will grow into a beautiful adult everyone would want a piece of.

In terms of open world level design, just as much as Resident Evil's level design or portal's mechanics etc..
Let's not overlook the things Destiny does brilliantly just because we're unhappy with the overall product.
Alright, I feel like im having massive deja vu, is it just me?
I coulda sworn this exact conversation happened literally last week almost word for word

I get what you're saying, but I think I'd rather play Keyes than fight Phogoth ever again.

The fight wouldn't be so bad...if the other two people I get matched up with tried to hide in the back room...almost every time.

That fight went so smoothly playing with a friend and his coworker the other night. They were one lvl low and were still able to do it with ease.

The key to that fight is to spread out when mobs aren't present, and regroup when they do. The fight isn't difficult it just requires people to think. But your average player thinks hiding in a corner with a shrieker constantly spawning is a great idea.

Of course your average player also seems not to understand that if everyone in the fireteam dies you just wasted 10 minutes of a boss fight. I understand if a revive isn't feasible, but when your team mates are on the other side of the arena and you can reach them easily FREAKING REVIVE THEM!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You're going to have to help me here please: what's your point?
Theres no point really, I honestly saw this exact same comment chain like a week ago that I honestly thought I was on a old tab on my phone.
I even remember i~lo making that comment, or atleast a comment similer to it on the matter.

So the IGN comments for the newest Destiny article talking about how it gets better after level 20 is so so toxic. Yes, the game has its flaws, but my god, the hatred this game is getting is insane.

Destiny isn't perfect, but I've been having a blast. Playing as a Warlock in the Crucible is hitting all the right spots for me. Shotgun + melee combo while bouncing and gliding all over the map = GOAT. The multiplayer only falters when you have a bunch of people just staying in one place sniping instead of using the fun traversal options.

I didn't like Bastion at first because of it's size but it really is a great map. I love gliding up and taking out turrets from overhead. I am sick of First Light though, was my least favorite in the Alpha/Beta and the other maps are so much tighter.

I finally went back to the story earlier after leveling up to 17 in the Crucible and started the Moon on hard, loving it. Mission structure is barebones and I think I'm pretty overlevelled for them, but going through the beautiful environment and wrecking everything is extremely satisfying.

It totally makes sense why the game has reviewed poorly, it is (so far at least) just a series of missions with pretty empty environments. Despite Bungie's intentions, I look at the story missions as more of a complement to the PVP. I wouldn't be surprised if reviewers just blasted through the story and played a couple of hours of multiplayer without really getting into it. Most of what I've seen tends to just gloss over it, which is pretty fuckin stupid to me. It's sad to think that the PR bullshit hype set them up to fail (granted the design faults are still their own, but folks were told to expect THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME x100,000 FUCK HALO).

Destiny seems more like it's designed to be addictive and keep you playing, rather than being something you can consume and get a complete experience from in a few days. It isn't perfect and post-release the world remains the same, but it's a really fun game with one of the most enjoyable PVP's I've ever played.

Zakalwe

Banned
Theres no point really, I honestly saw this exact same comment chain like a week ago that I honestly thought I was on a old tab on my phone.
I even remember i~lo making that comment, or atleast a comment similer to it on the matter.

Ah sorry, I thought you were making a sarky point I was missing or something.

This thread is full of déjà vu.

The /environments/ are top tier. They should be praised for their great design even if they're never utilised because the people who designed the environments themselves did a great fucking job.

I can see so many areas ripe for enemy encounters or hidden treasures etc... It's because they did such a great job shaping the place that it doesn't take much imagination to see how many of these empty areas could be fleshed out.

Yes this. The enviornments of Destiny are incredible. I have said wow on multiple occassions. It is easily this game's strongest aspect outside of the actual shooting mechanics. Seriously though, there are so many areas that could be further explored, such as the caves and more.

Destiny isn't perfect, but I've been having a blast. Playing as a Warlock in the Crucible is hitting all the right spots for me. Shotgun + melee combo while bouncing and gliding all over the map = GOAT. The multiplayer only falters when you have a bunch of people just staying in one place sniping instead of using the fun traversal options.

I didn't like Bastion at first because of it's size but it really is a great map. I love gliding up and taking out turrets from overhead. I am sick of First Light though, was my least favorite in the Alpha/Beta and the other maps are so much tighter.

I finally went back to the story earlier after leveling up to 17 in the Crucible and started the Moon on hard, loving it. Mission structure is barebones and I think I'm pretty overlevelled for them, but going through the beautiful environment and wrecking everything is extremely satisfying.

It totally makes sense why the game has reviewed poorly, it is (so far at least) just a series of missions with pretty empty environments. Despite Bungie's intentions, I look at the story missions as more of a complement to the PVP. I wouldn't be surprised if reviewers just blasted through the story and played a couple of hours of multiplayer without really getting into it. Most of what I've seen tends to just gloss over it, which is pretty fuckin stupid to me. It's sad to think that the PR bullshit hype set them up to fail (granted the design faults are still their own, but folks were told to expect THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME x100,000 FUCK HALO).

Destiny seems more like it's designed to be addictive and keep you playing, rather than being something you can consume and get a complete experience from in a few days. It isn't perfect and post-release the world remains the same, but it's a really fun game with one of the most enjoyable PVP's I've ever played.
I think you just summed up the game perfectly. I am loving the PvP thus far and I have a constant want to get new gear. For me, the game did what it wanted to, and it succeeded more so than I expected PvP-wise

Synth

That's pretty much what I meant too actually. Even if you took out every enemy and NPC from Borderlands environments, I would still be able to have a good idea of who it would be populated by, as the environment itself largely tells their story. Destiny's world looks more beautiful, but I don't see how it stands out as an incredible achievement unmatched by other open world games. Many of these games (such as Skyrim) are simultaneously beautiful and large, whilst also presenting purpose for why things exist where they are. The list you responded wasn't just a list of people that did a great job. A list like that would require hundreds (thousands?) of entries. The games on that list were doing things that almost nothing else could be reasonably compared with at the time. That doesn't really describe Destiny or it's environments (which are very comparable to various Halo games tbh...), whether they're beautiful or not. They're not graphically a Mario 64 (or Virtua Fighter 3) moment in gaming.

Sirim

The greatest accomplishment and most redeeming aspect of Destiny is that the Sony/Bungie partnership led to good triggers on the DS4.

tanooki27

why did so many reviewers choose to give watchdogs a ride on the 8 train, particularly when compared to destiny? i guess watchdogs has more "story," but the writing and delivery sucks huge balls. maybe it's more "fully realized," but the cars suck, the handling sucks, the soundtrack sucks, the graphics are uninspiring, and playing it in general sucks. it has a neat online multiplayer component - but it's not integrated into the game in fun or interesting ways.

i suppose it comes down to opinion. in my opinion, destiny outclasses watchdogs. why did reviewers decide to give it a pass and choose to clamp down on destiny?

Jarmel

Banned
So now that the reviews are coming out, do people still think Bungie held off the reviewers because they wanted the game to be reviewed in a more 'natural' and open environment?

Smash88

Banned
I actually think the open world level design of Destiny is top tier.

Except Destiny is not open world in the slightest. It's an arena shooter, similar to Warframe. We were promised open world, and then we get an arena with set pieces and enemies with lots of HP.

You need to get your eyes checked if you think otherwise.

What? I'd replace that with Halo 1/2 and what it did for console shooters.

Call of Duty 4 did way more in terms of console shooters than Halo 1/2 ever did.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Do we know if they will rethink the expansion pack now? Or its too late? It better be good. I bought the Guardian Edition.

Just got it from Gamefly and spent about 2 hours in the story mode. It definitely doesn't deserve so much hate, but I've played much better FPSes before. The gunfights are pretty intense and the gameplay is solid. The music is great. The story is confusing and I pretty much lost interest in it. The voice acting is decent, but I expected much better from Peter Dinklage. The missions are very repetitive though and they can get boring fast.

I'd say a 7 is about on par for what I would give this game. Not bad, nothing groundbreaking, excellent production values (save for the voice acting), weak AI (so far. I hope it's better on higher levels), good gameplay. Think I'll finish the story and send it back.

Massa

Wow... I just beat Phogoth yesterday and it was amazing, one of my favorite gaming moments of the year. We were close to losing it more than a few times and pulled through it anyway, it was great.

Game is fantastic. Surprised by the reviews thus far.

Seems like gamers these days like cinematics more then great co-op gameplay. Every game is really just point a to b with some window dressing. The combat situations and AI are great.

Smash88

Banned
I am just baffled by the last three replies. Are you guys for real? COD4 merely a mega successful FPS....?

Listen, I'm not saying Halo didn't innovate or do amazing things, but COD4 did more for the FPS scene, IMO.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I am just baffled by the last three replies. Are you guys for real? COD4 merely a mega successful FPS....?

Listen, I'm not saying Halo didn't innovate or do amazing things, but COD4 did more for the FPS scene, IMO.

Exactly what did it do?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
lol y'als all wrong like me speeling and grmar.

Halo 2 made FPS popular on dat console, CoD 4 launch FPS on console into da stratosphere!!!

RSB

Banned
Well it added RPG mechanics to a lot of shooters that had no business having them. Oh, and loadouts, loadouts everywhere.

Edit:

Almost forgot, killstreaks. Though that was arguably in battlefront to a lesser extent.
Also made that ADS bullshit popular.

Sirim

Not only is Destiny not really "open world", but by putting a Sparrow track from one end to the other and obviously designing the world so that if you don't use it you'll be walking across empty space with little to do or see, they gave a small world the impression of being smaller than it already was.

In my opinion, the inclusion of a Sparrow and the inclusion of worlds designed around them were two big mistakes.

Not only is Destiny not really "open world", but by putting a Sparrow track from one end to the other and obviously designing the world so that if you don't use it you'll be walking across empty space with little to do or see, they gave a small world the impression of being smaller than it already was.

In my opinion, the inclusion of a Sparrow and the inclusion of worlds designed around them were two big mistakes.

I'd zoom along to get to my objective but disembark to investigate caves and corners only to find nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom