• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine a single raid is going to change things much if at all.

It might even make matters worse by infuriating some people with just a really long bullet-sponge boss slog.
That's why I am not as excited for it. How can they think theses rotating bullet sponges are fun? It's the exact opposite.

hamchan

A raid won't change anything about how bad the large portion of the game is but I am hoping that the bosses show some variety in design instead of just being huge bullet sponges like every other boss. It can give me some hope that they at least know what they're doing for future content.

Armaros

I can't imagine a single raid is going to change things much if at all.

It might even make matters worse by infuriating some people with just a really long bullet-sponge boss slog.

Imagine if the bosses are that bad, and if whaterver raid engrams the put in are able to give out the same junk loot that legendaries do.

Well it's Bungie's last chance to redeem the launch game (since we're still in launch window). If the raid is brilliant, it could counter a lot of the criticism they've received until now, even make some people reconsider their review/purchase. If not, the game will keep being considered a disappointment by many.

It might counter some, but I don't see how it could counter a lot of the criticism. Destiny would still remain a game saddled with plenty of problems and a brilliant high level raid (unplayable unless you have 5 friends who are dedicated enough to grind until they're level 26). Nothing but serious redesign through patching will fix that.

Steel

Banned
For all the issues the game has, I've already put 30 hours into it, so I really can't say it hasn't been worth the price.

I'm not feeling like I've been cheated of my money either. I honestly didn't expect much from the game, pvp was fun enough to justify the purchase. Game is terribly flawed, though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm actually locked out of the raid because the geniuses at Bungie decided to spawn the level up trainer for only two days.

Fun eh?

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay no exotic gear but you're not "locked out". You can start raiding at any point during the week. It just resets on Tuesdays.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Okay no exotic gear but you're not "locked out". You can start raiding at any point during the week. It just resets on Tuesdays.

The raiding parties are being formed already and starting.

I couldn't join them only because the level up trainer was a timed event.

That's not good design.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wow, I have only played a little, but he is actually quite spot on with his points

No he isn't. He just echoes what everyone says about the obvious flaws the makes a load of terrible points.

Things like "it IS halo MP" are not spot on.

Team up with more people "hopefully more than 3". He didn't even take the time to google that there are 6.

He then describes what he thinks a raid is, describes a strike /exactly/ (people teaming up to take on a huge boss that spawns minions and takes ages to kill) and says "I have no clue how this is going to work in Destiny".

(It already "works" in Destiny, the problem is the bosses don't have interesting phases that force the team to work together to use their powers in synergy, etc...).

And so on...

It's a thoughtless review.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's a thoughtless review.

It isn't a thoughtless review because he's clearly put thought into his opinion, which is what a review is. Yes he is factually incorrect at times, but for the most part he's actually pretty spot on with what a number of people have already criticised the game for.

I don't particularly like DSP because he infuriates me with his atrocious skill level, but the dude is being honest and outlining that it's his opinion, and you can take it or leave it.

TheOddOne

Haven't really followed DSPGaming in a long time (grew tired of watching him for some reason). But he just reviewed Destiny so I thought I'd just put it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NJeTmroMY

Needless to say, he REALLY didn't like the game. Basically slams Bungie and Destiny at the end.

4.5/10
I don’t remember them ever promoting it as an MMO. When Bungie was asked about it being a MMO in interviews, they went out of their way to not call it that; however they did call it a shared world shooter (or some variation of that) a number of times. Marketing leading up to the release for the game never once uttered that it even was an MMO–even though all the signs were there and people made the connection. So, I can’t understand his 10 minute rant about the games marketing being deceptive. If Bungie and Activision went out of their way to say that it was an MMO, then he would have been totally right and his points completely valid; however the arguments he puts out now made little sense and sounds like he did very little research on that.

The MMO trapping in Destiny could be labeled as inspiration from other games to bend the genres, much like FPS’s that take RPG XP design in their game, third-person action-adventure games that take a light Metroidvania approach and so on. Halo started out as a Myth clone, and was changed to FPS later on but some of the RTS trappings stayed in the game; mostly the wide open spaces and the various vehicles that the player can use. Bungie trying to bend genres again isn’t something that is shocking, every game they bring out is drastically altered in some way; ODST was a complete departure with its non-linear setup and Reach became somewhat of a class-based shooter. The thing is, the Destiny genre bending has not worked out that well; MMO players feels alienated that the game didn’t embrace the genre fully and FPS’s players never get full normal treatment either.

Anyway, the rest of his review is pretty fair.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So when is IGN review going live? I don't care much about it, since already own the game but I do want to see the reactions LOL

Scrabble

Why is Destiny continually compared to mmo's? Even when from day 1 bungie has repeatedly said "this isn't an mmo"

http://youtu.be/mN8f14eMn-I?t=44s

But for the sake of argument, if we were to compare it to mmo/s, aren't all the things Destiny does better equally deserving of mentioning? Like the fact an mmo has never looked even half as good as destiny does or that an mmo has never had combat as good as Destiny does, enemy a.i. has never been this good in an mmo, etc. But nope, lets mention for the millionth time how there isn't enough content, never mind the fact I spent well over 20+ hours with it and it doesn't have a supscription fee.

Zakalwe

Banned
he's clearly put thought into his opinion, which is what a review is.

Yes he is factually incorrect at times.

So incorrect facts and just reading off the list of obvious flaws we've all been discussing for the last week.

Sorry, that doesn't strike me as thoughtful.

Nugg

Scores under 7 for Destiny are too harsh.

Boring/repetitive content and weak story, but with that level of production grants you a 7 to me.

Underwhelming because of crazy high expectations shouldn't drive the score down in my opinion. Everybody should just keep their expectations on a realistic level.

It reminds me of people claiming that (vanilla) Diablo III sucked after having played 100-150 hours. Sure it's underwhelming, but come on, how many games gave you that much value?

I must have sunk about 25 hours into Destiny, and I'm begining to feel that I might be about done with it. But still, it gave me 25 hours of pretty good fun. Not many games this gen gave me that much. It's clearly not a 9 or 10, but 6? Come on.

The very same game, not from Bungie, not from Activision, would have reviewed better. Again, not game of the year, sure, but better than that.

Boring/repetitive content and weak story, but with that level of production grants you a 7 to me.

So a boring repetitive game always deserves atleast a 7 if it has high production values?

That's a fucked up way of thinking man.

GuessWho

I'm just disappointed that you can't join a story with random. Total bs. Everyone says the game is best played with other players... I want to but the game doesn't make it easier.

spootime

Underwhelming because of crazy high expectations shouldn't drive the score down in my opinion. Everybody should just keep their expectations on a realistic level.

It reminds me of people claiming that (vanilla) Diablo III sucked after having played 100-150 hours. Sure it's underwhelming, but come on, how many games gave you that much value?

I must have sunk about 25 hours into Destiny, and I'm begining to feel that I might be about done with it. But still, it gave me 25 hours of pretty good fun. Not many games this gen gave me that much. It's clearly not a 9 or 10, but 6? Come on.

The very same game, not from Bungie, not from Activision, would have reviewed better. Again, not game of the year, sure, but better than that.

You can't judge games solely based off of their price:hours spent ratio. I would still argue that Diablo 3 in vanilla was not well designed. I put enough hours in to beat inferno on monk before inferno nerf, but it was still extremely frustrating to play and poorly done.

Caramello

I think a score below 6 is too harsh but I can understand any score between 6 and 9.

Nugg

So a boring repetitive game always deserves atleast a 7 if it has high production values?

That's a fucked up way of thinking man.

Nope, what I mean is Destiny is not that boring, and it's also a spectacular game.

I wouldn't say an awful game with pretty fireworks deserves a 7, no.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Why is Destiny continually compared to mmo's? Even when from day 1 bungie has repeatedly said "this isn't an mmo"

But for the sake of argument, if we were to compare it to mmo/s, aren't all the things Destiny does better equally deserving of mentioning? Like the fact an mmo has never looked even half as good as destiny does or that an mmo has never had combat as good as Destiny does, enemy a.i. has never been this good in an mmo, etc. But nope, lets mention for the millionth time how there isn't enough content, never mind the fact I spent well over 20+ hours with it and it doesn't have a supscription fee.

They continually say that it isn't an MMO, but also continue to implement MMO-like features and mechanics plus hint very heavily at the genre label. Destiny isn't half of what any current MMO is anyway, so it shouldn't be labelled as one. At the very least some of the AAA MMO's out there actually have a decent backstory, and lore that is in the game.

Also there are a number of great looking MMO's, especially the Eastern MMO's but I do agree Destiny looks fabulous. And content is always going to be a major draw of criticism because, well that is what players will be playing. If the content isn't there don't expect people to throw in $60-$100 just for pretty graphics and nice sound effects.

All this drama over reviews, and it ends up just 3 points below watch dogs & infamous, and it best selling new IP in launch week UK

Anyway, enjoying the game so am pleased at its sales performance

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Haven't really followed DSPGaming in a long time (grew tired of watching him for some reason). But he just reviewed Destiny so I thought I'd just put it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NJeTmroMY

Needless to say, he REALLY didn't like the game. Basically slams Bungie and Destiny at the end.

4.5/10

I completely agree with this. If you don't want to watch everything just skip to the 30 minutes mark.

Can't wait for angry joe's review, this should be fun too.

pieface

Really not feeling this game.

Put about 15hours into the BETA PVP, but since getting the full release I've probably spent about 3-4 hours in PVP, and am completely bored of it already.

Needs better gametypes, needs less supers. It's all a bit... meh!

TheOddOne

- Kill Screen: I Still Believe In Destiny
Destiny’s post-game content—in which we’re encouraged to repeatedly replay those levels for better gear, to then take on epic, multi-hour raids—is engineered to force everyone into the relationship I had with Halo for so long. It’s all or nothing; Destiny is your favorite videogame or gtfo. A steady trickle of new, excruciatingly difficult tasks are to lure us back, again and again, for years, until Destiny Strikes Back and we get to explore the caves of Neptune, or whatever. And, truly: who knows what Destiny might become over the next decade? Who knows where any of us will be in life? Where will you be in February 2017? Are you busy in early autumn 2023? Bungie has been thinking four-dimensionally for too long; Destiny asks us to be invested in the future of Destiny, because, presumably, it is our destiny.
Today, of course, Destiny is a mess, but I sympathize with it. It contains multitudes, and I see the multitudes in it. Like Destiny, we all struggle with what came before us. We struggle to measure up to it, to change it, to learn from its mistakes. We want to be bigger than our parents, and in some ways, we always are. But ultimately we, too, are human. Like Luke, we can’t live up to others’ expectations; no one can be everything to everyone. What else could we call such failure but destiny?

What the hell is up with IGN's U.S review? Are they giving this guy as long as he wants to write it? He's had the game more than a week now.

Synth

Maybe they simply don't agree with you on those points?

Ryse and Killzone: Shadowfall should be enough to show that graphics alone won't make much difference to anyone's scoring. As for combat, what would we be comparing to? Most MMO's have combat systems that aren't directly comparable... but if forced to compare them, then I'd say something like PSO2 definitely does have combat as good as Destiny, and I'd consider it better due to the class variety and resulting teamwork that variety inspires. As for AI, I'd probably agree that the standard mob AI in Destiny is better than pretty much any comparable MMO... but the bosses... they have AI that's worse than a vast number of MMO games. Many MMO's have bosses that have complex and interesting behaviours, rather than simply walking around waiting to be shot whilst firing a heavy damage weapon.

The reason why Destiny gets judged so harshly in multiple areas, is because doing combat better than Random MMO X, doesn't mean as much when it's worse than Random FPS Y. Doing social interaction better than Random FPS X doesn't mean as much when it's so much worse than Random MMO Y. Destiny claims it isn't an MMO, so it doesn't really get a direct MMO comparison... it gets judged pretty much entirely on what it offers, and in most aspects that isn't much. It's just spread too thin, rather than being amazing in a few key areas. If you're a fan of Halo, you'll probably be disappointed. If you're a fan of Phantasy Star Online, you'll probably be disappointed. If you're a fan of both (me) the disappointment could possibly kill you.

dcolmenar

Neo Member
A steady trickle of new, excruciatingly difficult tasks are to lure us back, again and again, for years, until Destiny Strikes Back and we get to explore the caves of Neptune, or whatever

No caves on Neptune; it's all gas.

Add Eurogamer as well.

Maybe they feel bad pissing all over their money stacks?

Also there is this dilemma, if they give the game above an 8 it looks highly suspect considering it is common knowledge how mediocre teh game is. If they give it a realistic score, they probably alienate their website from fanboys and from activision slightly.

There are probably tons of people who visit IGN who thought the game was going to be the next slice of bread and hence expect scores accordingly or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom