• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny to appear at Sony presser on Monday

Prine

Banned
I wish Sony didnt waste thier time on this and focus on exclusives. Hope we dont get any 3rd party games demod at each companies presser. Cant stand when COD gets demod at MS conference ,annoys me to no end.

People who think it's cool to call a platform Indiestation and complain about them showing up on an E3 stage. Yes these people exist and they are even here on GAF which is baffling.

Indiestation has a nice ring to it.

Anyway, that's rather depressing. How can anyone hate indies when they are essentially the new mid tier developer.

Gaming would certainly be far less interesting and more boring without them.

RulkezX

Got to say thank god MS arnt wasting thier time on this. Got to say i wish Sony didnt waste thier time on this and focus on exclusives.

You must be really pissed CoD is gonna be at the MS show.

I can't wait to see it and hope they have enough time to do it justice.

They will give about ten mintutes to this, Probably a little bit more to also announce a console bundle and pricing.

I don't think even developers want to bore the crowd with a long demo. They want to be concise and impactful.

Tobor

I wish Sony didnt waste thier time on this and focus on exclusives. Hope we dont get any 3rd party games demod at each companies presser. Cant stand when COD gets demod at MS conference ,annoys me to no end.

Remember you made this post during the Call of Duty segment of the MS conference.

Raide

I really want to see more of Destiny to know what the overall plan is. Would be nice to see some Xbox One footage as well, just to calm the fans a bit.

Bsigg12

Well, how long could they possibly go for? Gametrailers has Sony's conference pegged for 90 minutes this year on Monday night.

As they should. It's the biggest game releasing this fall, and they have a marketing partnership for it.

COD will take up a similar amount time in Microsofts press conference.

I expect AW to have a demo at the MS presser but it probably won't be as long as any potential Destiny demo.

MS only have 90mins after all and Sony aren't restricted by live TV schedules.

Xater

I really want to see more of Destiny to know what the overall plan is. Would be nice to see some Xbox One footage as well, just to calm the fans a bit.

Let me tell you right now you won't see that version. The first time you'll see it is when the beta on that platform starts.

Somnia

Well, how long could they possibly go for? Gametrailers has Sony's conference pegged for 90 minutes this year on Monday night.

Sony always runs over, expect a 1:45 to 2 hour show. They don't have to worry about tv ads, etc like the others.

Tobor

I expect AW to have a demo at the MS presser but it probably won't be as long as any potential Destiny demo.

MS only have 90mins after all and Sony aren't restricted by live TV schedules.

Sony is running this live in movie theaters. Theirs won't be longer than 90 minutes either.

Portugeezer

I personally think it wont be, huge open world with lots of players/huge battles ..

If Sony is pushing it it will be 1080p, I even think PlanetSide 2 will be 1080p. Also Destiny doesn't look amazing technically, it's more about art style for this game, so it should be 1080p.

Lasty95

Great summary of how things are going now. If you want to be surprised or something new look into smaller games (those are the soooo much hated Indies) or stop playing video games.

I dont understand how that's relevant here.

Destiny is an ambitious new IP.

It's genuinely trying new things and attempting to drive the genre forward, and it's doing that on an unprecedented scale.

It sounds like you're penalising it for having a big budget.

Makes no sense to me at all.

This game is going to sell like crazy in September, dismissing it is probably not the best idea when it's from the developers of the (good) Halo games and come September Activision is going to release the floodgates with that $500 million marketing campaign.

I for one have been patiently awaiting for the next Bungie game since Halo: Reach

Raide

Let me tell you right now you won't see that version. The first time you'll see it is when the beta on that platform starts.

I am guessing Sony have that one pretty much wrapped up. Shame that Bungie are almost pretending the Xbox One version does not exist and it will suck to wait till the Beta kicks in to get any indication of performance etc...unless the Beta kicks in during E3 of course.

Sony is running this live in movie theaters. Theirs won't be longer than 90 minutes either.

It's 90 minutes but they also have exclusive footage that'll only be shown to those in the theaters. Sony likely rented them out for two and half to three hours just to make sure that they have everything covered.

Hopefully it doesn't take up too much time. I don't mind 3-4 minutes on stage, but most of it should be available on the floor by now.

It will

People who think it's cool to call a platform Indiestation and complain about them showing up on an E3 stage. Yes these people exist and they are even here on GAF which is baffling.

That's honestly the scariest current narrative on GAF. I always try to think better of this place. Indies are the closest to true video gaming that we have, yet there are those that find them bothersome at best, and hated at worst.

desertdroog

AAA backlash.

It's a good sign tbh, given the forums track record it means it's gonna sell an absolute ton.

I cannot wait for the next iteration in the Destiny release. All Bungie will have to do is show a fifteen second cgi trailer and forums everywhere will explode into 40+ pages about those fifteen seconds.

Except it will be a majority of hype and not incredulity about whatever message they missed regarding Bungie's and the fan communities information on Destiny et. al.

Is 90mins confirmed? That's a big departure from past years. I like it, always felt their pressers were far too bloated and poorly paced.

Anyway, with that new info in mind, I don't expect either demo to last more than 10mins.

artist

Banned
RE: "Does Sony have nothing else?"

Dudes, welcome to the New Normal. It's not Sony. It's everyone. It takes more people to make fewer games than ever. Publishers are more reliant on iterative sequels than ever. Risk-adversity to a major publisher means betting the whole bank on a megaton title you think can sell 10+ million and then betting the production budget over again in marketing. It means 800 pre-order SKUs, microtransactions, DLC and season passes, items, or whatever else they can do. It means games as a service. We've been saying this for years. The middle is gone. The licensed market is gone. Handheld support is an afterthought.

EA and Ubisoft are the largest third-party publishers in console gaming, and incidentally the only ones who still have E3 stage performances.

EA has cut their game count at least in half, probably more, over the last 5-6 years. You want to know what they're going to show? FIFA, Madden (incl/ NCAA Football), they'll skip NHL because it's niche, UFC, they might show NBA, they might show golf. That's sports. Now onto mainstream console games: Annualized Battlefield, annualized BioWare RPG (Mass Effect / Dragon Age; although don't be surprised if one of BioWare's side teams is working on some other IP, maybe something with Star Wars); speaking of, get ready for an annualized Star Wars game, starting with Battlefront; annualized Maxis/Redwood Shores Game (this year: The Sims 4); annualized racing game (whether or not it's called Need for Speed). I just spoiled EA's next five E3 conferences, sorry to drop the bomb here. They've basically sunsetted their external publishing efforts, but I guess Titanfall worked well enough that we'll have one of those, so expect DLC or a sequel announcement too.

Ubisoft is now up to pretty near a thousand people working on a flagship game. This year we'll get two Assassin's Creed games, Far Cry 4, Watch_Dogs' DLC, The Division, some other Tom Clancy nonsense, probably some other Splinter Cell game (although Blacklist tanked so maybe not), Just Dance until that gets nuked, Rocksteady until that gets nuked.

Why is Destiny being flogged everywhere? Because it's one of like 5 games Activision is putting out, so they all need to be billion dollar games. Call of Duty. Destiny. Skylanders. Annualized Transformers and Spider-Man. Blizzard's latest expansions or next game. That's the whole company now. They'll eventually revive Guitar Hero and maybe eventually Tony Hawk. Literally five games from the Activision side, all aiming for hundreds of millions or billions of dollars of revenue each. That's the New Normal. Destiny is a half-billion dollar minimum targeted game, and it's intended to be a multi-billion dollar franchise.

The same is true for all the first party publishers. More people making fewer games, experiments are kept small, full sized games need to be guaranteed smash successes. Games take at least two years to make now, so you basically have the option to announce one E3, demo a near-final next E3, release that fall (which you do if it's a once every two year franchise)... or do announce the same year you're releasing (which you do if you have two teams doing odd/even years of a franchise).

If this news is surprising or depressing, then the correct thing to do is to start paying less attention to video games, because then the annual sequels will at least surprise and impress you. If you check the news every day, you already know what most teams are doing (or if not, at least what stage in their game's development they're in), so you won't be blown away. You also don't need to watch E3 live. It's a lot easier to be happy when you catch a five minute recap the next morning with the highlights then when you get angry at Sony for wasting your time on Wonderbook because how dare they.
#RealityCheck

If Sony is pushing it it will be 1080p, I even think PlanetSide 2 will be 1080p. Also Destiny doesn't look amazing technically, it's more about art style for this game, so it should be 1080p.
By "pushing it" if you mean, co-marketing then look at Watch_Dogs.

Xater

I dont understand how that's relevant here.

Destiny is an ambitious new IP.

It's genuinely trying new things and attempting to drive the genre forward, and it's doing that on an unprecedented scale.

It sounds like you're penalising it for having a big budget.

Makes no sense to me at all.

I'm not penalising anything. I am excited for Destiny. It was a response to Stumpo's post and not related to Destiny. Still Destiny is not a game that's going to surprise you because it's going to show up at multiple shows just because it takes forever to make.

Salex_

Can someone help me understand why people say this...? Do you think they didn't put the new games they wanted to showcase at the top of the priority? It's not like we need a full 2 hours to show those games.

+3rd party game =/= -exclusive

The only thing that happens is a longer conference. If you deleted all multiplat games, you'll just get an extremely short conference. We may hear about new games from multiplat developers (old and new) who don't release annually games. Don't you want to see those new games?

I sometimes wonder if people actually care about the games or just what platform the games are on.

Is 90mins confirmed? That's a big departure from past years. I like it, always felt their pressers were far too bloated and poorly paced.

Anyway, with that new info in mind, I don't expect either demo to last more than 10mins.

90m is always the time that Sony gives for their conferences. It just never runs that length.

Bsigg12

Sony always runs over, expect a 1:45 to 2 hour show. They don't have to worry about tv ads, etc like the others.

They are renting theater space this year so it would limit how long they could go for. The theaters look like they have 2 and a half hours booked though. Doors open 30 minutes before the conference and are scheduled for 2 hours.

Floex

I'm more than happy to see more of this if they finally start to show the open world stuff. Haven't been blown away by this game yet, the time is now due to do so.

Raide

This is different and you know it. Besides, we know what they have shown is 1080p on PS4, it could change, but I doubt it.

It is pretty ambitious game, so they could be dropping things to keep performance up. I will be very surprised if they keep the 1080p and the scale intact.

velociraptor

Indiestation has a nice ring to it.

Anyway, that's rather depressing. How can anyone hate indies when they are essentially the new mid tier developer.

Gaming would certainly be far less interesting and more boring without them.

I don't care for indie games. There is not a single indie game out there where I think 'damn, I'm really missing out'. The reason why I'm interested in the PS4 is for the blockbuster exclusives. So far, Sony's exclusive output has been very disappointing. It's even more disappointing that Sony is devoting their conference slots to third party games.

EA: Battlefield Hardline
Activision: Destiny
Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed Unity?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't care for indie games. There is not a single indie game out there where I think 'damn, I'm really missing out'. The reason why I'm interested in the PS4 is for the blockbuster exclusives. So far, Sony's exclusive output has been very disappointing. It's even more disappointing that Sony is devoting their conference slots to third party games.

MS will likely have just as much, if not more, third party stuff present. This is nothing new.

90m is always the time that Sony gives for their conferences. It just never runs that length.

Ah, thanks. I never really followed the times they quoted before the presser in past years.

I guess that means it won't be 90mins then...ah well, hopefully they'll pace it better this year.

I think a lot of negativity comes from the fact that it's cross gen. It seems like any game that is "next gen" exclusive will get the benefit of doubt and garner excitement just for its potential.

For real? I can reel a list of about ten games that come to mind straight away when I think about games I really, really want.

Indies aren't for everyone of course, but I feel not caring for them really limits how much you're getting out of gaming. Can't imagine not having a nice mix of both, would make gaming a really boring affair after a while.

I get your point about wanting blockbuster exclusives, but Sony have a number of indie exclusives that could turn out to be just as good, if not better than any AAA title on the horizon.

Didn't Bungie's Twitter say almost a week ago that this would be the case?

We've known this for months.

Terrifying...

Plus you've obviously never seen an E3 presser if you're complaining about Sony (or MS or Nintendo) giving slots to 3rd party.

Top Bottom