• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny to appear at Sony presser on Monday

Tobor

Ah, thanks. I never really followed the times they quoted before the presser in past years.

I guess that means it won't be 90mins then...ah well, hopefully they'll pace it better this year.

They have a hard out time due to renting the theaters. I would seriously not expect it to run long this year.

Shin

Banned
Damn man, why is a lot of GAF hating on this game lately?

Not hating it, but it got demo'd last year and they'll probably spend another 10 minute this year during their conference.
A time they could spend on a new game or something...

Corto

I think Stump's post is great, and very accurate, but I still feel it's the publishers (first parties more so) who are responsible for whipping people up into the frenzy that they fail to deliver on.

MS with their "We're going to do something completely new with E3", Sony with their come and see the show at the cinema thing. Don't raise expectations if you are incapable of meeting them.

When so much money is invested in less titles the interest must be kept high.

They have a hard out time due to renting the theaters. I would seriously not expect it to run long this year.

Let's hope so. I don't mind it going over if there's lots to show, I don't like it when it goes over because of lengthy demos that become annoying the longer they go on.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wanna like this game, but the way the info rollout was handled hasn't done them any favors. The messaging is confusing, and it's still not coming across as unique or compelling enough. It simply doesn't fill me with hype.

I think Stump's post is great, and very accurate, but I still feel it's the publishers (first parties more so) who are responsible for whipping people up into the frenzy that they fail to deliver on.

MS with their "We're going to do something completely new with E3", Sony with their come and see the show at the cinema thing. Don't raise expectations if you are incapable of meeting them.

Sure, but some expectations are absurd. There were people in the Guerrilla thread that were saying, without any sarcasm, that Sony's show would be disappointing if they showed The Last Guardian, Project Beast, Uncharted, The Order and DRIVECLUB. Think about that.

Salex_

For real? I can reel a list of about ten games that come to mind straight away when I think about games I really, really want.

Indies aren't for everyone of course, but I feel not caring for them really limits how much you're getting out of gaming. Can't imagine not having a nice mix of both, would make gaming a really boring affair after a while.

The people who say they don't like indie games reminds me of the people who say that don't like anime.

I'm so confused by this mindset. Why would anyone be so closed out and generalize an entire medium?

"Indie" and "Anime" aren't genres. Both of them are platforms for genres.

Just keep it short Sony, concentrate on your own games please!

The pressers from the big three have never been about concentrating on their own games.

It's always been a mix of first and third party titles, not sure why it's suddenly an issue this year...

The people who say they don't like indie games reminds me of the people who say that don't like anime.

I'm so confused by this mindset. Why would anyone be so closed out and generalize an entire medium?

"Indie" and "Anime" aren't genres. Both of them are platforms for genres.

Yup, agreed completely.

I won't write off anyone's opinion though, some people just don't see the appeal of indies, perhaps they are limited in the amount of time they have to game and would rather focus their attention on AAA titles. I have less time to game than I did just five years ago, but I still can't imagine not having a nice mix, even if it means I amass a backlog that begins to stress me out whenever I sit down to game.

Tobor

Sure, but some expectations are absurd. There were people in the Guerrilla thread that were saying, without any sarcasm, that Sony's show would be disappointing if they showed The Last Guardian, Project Beast, Uncharted, The Order and DRIVECLUB. Think about that.

Expectations are absolutely out of whack. It's bizarre what some people are expecting given the very obvious and significant changes to the industry the last few years.

Wouldn't you say that project beast is getting a whole lot of hype from being on next gen, and not just because it's exclusive? And games like GTA or mgs still seem to be getting a lot of love despite being multiplatform

They also get a lot of hate. It's not lack of love, it's excess of hate that fanboys contribute with.

Corto

WE ALREADY KNOW OF THOSE. WE WANT NEW SHIT GIVE US NEW SHIT!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Let's hope so. I don't mind it going over if there's lots to show, I don't like it when it goes over because of lengthy demos that become annoying the longer they go on.
I expect this year to be better focused and better paced than previous years. Lengthy stuff like the Wonderbook demo won't fly if they're showing this in theaters.

Yeah, it's insane. I'd rather just see stuff coming out between now and next E3 and if all of those games are out by then HOLY SHIT YES. I don't want to see a bunch of thrown together trailers for stuff coming in 2016.

I'd be kind of concerned if it didn't show up there.

Hopefully it looks more fun this time around and doesn't pull a Watch Dogs.

Raide

I wonder what they will show in their 5-10 minutes? They really have to get into something amazing to hype people up, as well as explain what the game is and why people should be playing it. Some new content outside of Old Russia would be nice, so showing some Solos content and then show the fire-teams coming into it and then should even more players joining in for an epic fight. They have shown that style once and it gets the point of Destiny across.

RulkezX

I swear people would rather some shitty 45 CGI trailer for a game that won't be out for 2 years , with a generic game name flashed at the end followed by "Only on XYZ" just so they can play list wars for another year.

Destiny is a major new IP from a top tier developer and people are moaning that they hope not much is shown.....

HORRORSHØW

open with destiny, end with project beast and the TLG.
KuGsj.gif

velociraptor

It would be wonderful if they showed these games. I think that would be an E3 conference worth watching, assuming compelling gameplay is shown for each of these games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hurray, third party multi platform games taking up time at Sony's presser.

I will never understand people who get mad at this shit. The event is showcasing games that are coming out on the system within the next year and reveals for new titles on that system down the road. Destiny is one of the biggest games on the PS4 this year, the new Call of Duty is one of the biggest games on the XB1 this year and so on.

If you want an E3 show with no time focused on big third party AAA titles then just watch Nintendo's event and call it a day.

I will never understand people who get mad at this shit. The event is showcasing games that are coming out on the system within the next year and reveals for new titles on that system down the road.

If you want an E3 show with no time focused on big third party AAA titles then just watch Nintendo's event and call it a day.

I'm fairly certain it's some of these posters first E3. ...or they are playing dumb for laughs.

velociraptor

I'm fairly certain it's some of these posters first E3. ...or they are playing dumb for laughs.
I think most people would have no qualms with third party games being at the presser (hell, I'm excited for games like Destiny). I think the only worry is that Sony's first party studios appear to be absent. e.g. SSM, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule. Instead of confirmations asking us to look forward to E3 from aforementioned studios, we hear 'sorry guys, next year maybe!'

I would be. I have no interest in any of those games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
RE: "Does Sony have nothing else?"

Dudes, welcome to the New Normal. It's not Sony. It's everyone. It takes more people to make fewer games than ever. Publishers are more reliant on iterative sequels than ever. Risk-adversity to a major publisher means betting the whole bank on a megaton title you think can sell 10+ million and then betting the production budget over again in marketing. It means 800 pre-order SKUs, microtransactions, DLC and season passes, items, or whatever else they can do. It means games as a service. We've been saying this for years. The middle is gone. The licensed market is gone. Handheld support is an afterthought.

EA and Ubisoft are the largest third-party publishers in console gaming, and incidentally the only ones who still have E3 stage performances.

EA has cut their game count at least in half, probably more, over the last 5-6 years. You want to know what they're going to show? FIFA, Madden (incl/ NCAA Football), they'll skip NHL because it's niche, UFC, they might show NBA, they might show golf. That's sports. Now onto mainstream console games: Annualized Battlefield, annualized BioWare RPG (Mass Effect / Dragon Age; although don't be surprised if one of BioWare's side teams is working on some other IP, maybe something with Star Wars); speaking of, get ready for an annualized Star Wars game, starting with Battlefront; annualized Maxis/Redwood Shores Game (this year: The Sims 4); annualized racing game (whether or not it's called Need for Speed). I just spoiled EA's next five E3 conferences, sorry to drop the bomb here. They've basically sunsetted their external publishing efforts, but I guess Titanfall worked well enough that we'll have one of those, so expect DLC or a sequel announcement too.

Ubisoft is now up to pretty near a thousand people working on a flagship game. This year we'll get two Assassin's Creed games, Far Cry 4, Watch_Dogs' DLC, The Division, some other Tom Clancy nonsense, probably some other Splinter Cell game (although Blacklist tanked so maybe not), Just Dance until that gets nuked, Rocksteady until that gets nuked.

Why is Destiny being flogged everywhere? Because it's one of like 5 games Activision is putting out, so they all need to be billion dollar games. Call of Duty. Destiny. Skylanders. Annualized Transformers and Spider-Man. Blizzard's latest expansions or next game. That's the whole company now. They'll eventually revive Guitar Hero and maybe eventually Tony Hawk. Literally five games from the Activision side, all aiming for hundreds of millions or billions of dollars of revenue each. That's the New Normal. Destiny is a half-billion dollar minimum targeted game, and it's intended to be a multi-billion dollar franchise.

The same is true for all the first party publishers. More people making fewer games, experiments are kept small, full sized games need to be guaranteed smash successes. Games take at least two years to make now, so you basically have the option to announce one E3, demo a near-final next E3, release that fall (which you do if it's a once every two year franchise)... or do announce the same year you're releasing (which you do if you have two teams doing odd/even years of a franchise).

If this news is surprising or depressing, then the correct thing to do is to start paying less attention to video games, because then the annual sequels will at least surprise and impress you. If you check the news every day, you already know what most teams are doing (or if not, at least what stage in their game's development they're in), so you won't be blown away. You also don't need to watch E3 live. It's a lot easier to be happy when you catch a five minute recap the next morning with the highlights then when you get angry at Sony for wasting your time on Wonderbook because how dare they.

A truth tactical missile right here. Thank you for this.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't really believe those opinions are sincere though, I think it's just people establishing that nothing Sony could feasibly deliver would be impressive.

The pressers from the big three have never been about concentrating on their own games.

It's always been a mix of first and third party titles, not sure why it's suddenly an issue this year...

Yep. Plus, people on these boards tend to overstate the importance of exclusives. Not saying they aren't important, but they're not the end-all, be-all either. Sony's co-marketing of Destiny and Watch Dogs this year paints the picture to casuals that the PS4 is the place to play those games. This has proven to be a successful formula. MS has been doing it with COD for years.

Also, this board's been salty on Destiny as of late, but don't kid yourselves, kids: Destiny's a big fucking deal. My online "crew" consists of about 10 guys. We've been together since 2005 on the Xbox and transitioned to the 360 when it launched and stayed with it. As a group, we moved to PS4 this gen, and while the reasons were many, the promise that PS4 would be the best place to play Destiny was a big factor. Whether you think it should or not, this shit matters in the marketplace.

To the people wondering why there is so much skepticism surrounding Destiny. Did you read the hands on previews from a couple months ago?

I browsed a couple and there was a straight up "meh" response from outlets like Polygon and IGN after having played it.

I think most people would have no qualms with third party games being at the presser (hell, I'm excited for games like Destiny). I think the only worry is that Sony's first party studios appear to be absent. e.g. SSM, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule. Instead of confirmations asking us to look forward to E3 from aforementioned studios, we hear 'sorry guys, next year maybe!'

This is not what people are posting so there's no reason to think this. You just continued the "no games" narrative.

Vire

Bungie needs to knock this shit out of the park and really wow people. There is a really negative stigma towards the game as of late and it's mostly because everything they have shown has been underwhelming/boring at best.

Emphasize the world size, mission structure, and have an impressive campaign demo.

I swear people would rather some shitty 45 CGI trailer for a game that won't be out for 2 years , with a generic game name flashed at the end followed by "Only on XYZ" just so they can play list wars for another year.

Destiny is a major new IP from a top tier developer and people are moaning that they hope not much is shown.....

Bungie does tend to show too much though. Remember that Sabre mission in Reach that could've been an awesome surprise for players?

At this point, people know if they're buying Destiny or not, so it's understandable that those of us who post on forums would rather not see much of it. Realistically though, 500 million dollars says otherwise :B

Bungie does tend to show too much though. Remember that Sabre mission in Reach that could've been an awesome surprise for players?

At this point, people know if they're buying Destiny or not, so it's understandable that those of us who post on forums would rather not see much of it. Realistically though, 500 million dollars says otherwise :B

Based on only like 1/5 of the game which is the problem Bungie faces.

RulkezX

To the people wondering why there is so much skepticism surrounding Destiny. Did you read the hands on previews from a couple months ago?

I browsed a couple and there was a straight up "meh" response from outlets like Polygon and IGN after having played it.

And the impressions from people in the beta were the polar opposite.

Were they? There was that thread on GAF that got nuked about the multiplayer being ass.

From the 5 friends on my PSN friends list that were playing the F&F (Music Player Demo) nightly and giving me their excited impressions, they sure were.

This game will have the biggest turn around ever.

Top Bottom