• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's Raid, 'Vault of Glass' is now available to play. Hardest challenge yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... do we have an impression yet on this Raid or is this thread just made for complaining?
Seriously, can someone tell me how the Raid is?

Norns

Enrage timers are gear checks. The only reason the enrage timer is even a game mechanic is to enforce that the players kill it quickly, and that means it requires better gear.

I'm watching it right now.

There's no strategy at play here beyond "Stay out of the fire" tier MMO hazards. It looks criminally boring. Also: It has an enrage timer. Whether you like it or not, that makes it a gear check.

did you forget you said this, on this same page?

Oh i see, you edited your post. cute.

Here's the problem. Absolutely nothing else in this game is remotely as interesting as that. They've designed it so only the most dedicated groups of people can play the best content in this game, and everybody else gets a shitty story, shitty drops, and shitty bosses.

This is very true. And why Bungie is getting all the shit. Those who don't see it... well i just don't understand how anyone can't!

So... did the streamers ever find anything else, potentially environmental that could be a key to beating the giant time traveling robot thing? All ive seen is some running around trying to cause direct, physical damage.

Norns

Naw, I've raided for US firsts/world first enough to know that you should never underestimate people and forming strategies. It's a gear check thing right now. Bungie designed an encounter impossible numerically.

Sort of like pre-nerf Heroic Spine. Blizzard purposely made Heroic Spine impossible to extend heroic raiding/race for world first by a week.

Oh you've done the math?

1099.gif

^ What this thread has turned into...

I actually think this thread is much more interesting now.

It would be kind of boring to talk about 6 players shooting and hiding behind pillars for 10 pages...

Norns

...those two posts don't contradict each other. I'm saying the same thing both times.

What are you even going on about at this point?

You said that the encounters are nothing but bullet sponge gear checks with no mechanics.

They aren't.

How many times do i have to say it to you?

Enrage timers are gear checks. The only reason the enrage timer is even a game mechanic is to enforce that the players kill it quickly, and that means it requires better gear.

Not necessarily.

It's half "gear-check" and half "you're-doing-it-wrong."

Most of the time, Raid TRASH are the Gear Checks. (Or Minimum Character/Gear Level Requirements not even letting you enter the Raid in the first place)

If you make it to a Raid boss, you should be able to defeat it with practice and knowledge of the mechanics.

So... do we have an impression yet on this Raid or is this thread just made for complaining?
Seriously, can someone tell me how the Raid is?

The streams are pretty informative, I think I've learned a lot about Destiny in general just from watching them for ~30 minutes.
The relic mechanics are probably the most interesting part of each encounter, it remains to be seen if it's just the one guy with the shield having all the fun. For everyone else it's a game of 'don't die, call out high priority targets and only nuke the boss when it's vulnerable.' I wouldn't call it boring, but there are some growing pains with the basic encounter structure that I would hope Bungie addresses in future iterations.

FinKL

Been watching StreamerHouse and this looks like a miserable experience.

They also been playing for at least 4 hours straight, but they have been swapping players in and out. It sucks because like all MMO raids if you know up to a certain point, and the new people entering don't, you are wasting your time having the new players play catchup learning the mechanics/patterns/optimizations.

This is exactly how I was expecting endgame raiding to be (miserable) when they had the first play testers just flat out give up. This is not casual friendly, at least from what I'm seeing. They have to be missing something?

Alucrid

Banned
Here's the problem. Absolutely nothing else in this game is remotely as interesting as that. They've designed it so only the most dedicated groups of people can play the best content in this game, and everybody else gets a shitty story, shitty drops, and shitty bosses.

It's designed for so the most dedicated groups of people can play the best content in the game...day 1. Eventually everyone will level up their gear. Eventually strategies will be posted on how to get through the encounter. Eventually people's level will outrank the difficulty. Eventually most people who want to see the raid will.

Kosma

Banned
They also been playing for at least 4 hours straight, but they have been swapping players in and out. It sucks because like all MMO raids if you know up to a certain point, and the new people entering don't, you are wasting your time having the new players play catchup learning the mechanics/patterns/optimizations.

This is exactly how I was expecting endgame raiding to be (miserable) when they had the first play testers just flat out give up. This is not casual friendly, at least from what I'm seeing. They have to be missing something?

Closer to 8 hours now

It's designed for so the most dedicated groups of people can play the best content in the game...day 1. Eventually everyone will level up their gear. Eventually strategies will be posted on how to get through the encounter. Eventually people's level will outrank the difficulty. Eventually most people who want to see the raid will.

But how many people will get bored and move on, before that eventuality?

I am almost level 20 but I have no idea how long it takes to get to 26 (does the game even explain these light levels?) and have exactly one friend that is also that high level.

No matchmaking for Raids and no explanation how to get to 26 basically means I am going to be done with this game very soon.

And yeah, the Strikes are hardly impressive. So I don't have much hope for the raid anyway

Lucent

So in the Datto stream, people said there are 8 bosses in the raid. And they're only on the 2nd boss? And having trouble figuring out how to beat him? Yeah congrats to whoever becomes "legend". lol

Cynar

I am almost level 20 but I have no idea how long it takes to get to 26 (does the game even explain these light levels?) and have exactly one friend that is also that high level.

No matchmaking for Raids and no explanation how to get to 26 basically means I am going to be done with this game very soon.

And yeah, the Strikes are hardly impressive. So I don't have much hope for the raid anyway
It explains it if you level up to 20. Once you get 20 it let's you know. Holy shit the whining.

Karl Hawk

Banned
So in the Datto stream, people said there are 8 bosses in the raid. And they're only on the 2nd boss? And having trouble figuring out how to beat him? Yeah congrats to whoever becomes "legend". lol

4 bosses for each tier. There's two tiers in Vault of Glass Raid.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Can you save your progress in the raid? Like in MMOS, you can do a few bosses and comeback the next day?

Yes, you can. There's checkpoints where you can save your progress there.

Keep in mind that checkpoint saves reset every Tuesday and the Fireteam leader you played with previously in the Raid need to be the same Fireteam leader in order to continue your progress.

Despera

Banned
The fact that no one has finished it yet is mind blowing.
That's why the game saves your progress so you can continue at a later date (within a week of the last save I think?).

Edit: Apparently the save resets every Tuesday so scratch that last part.

Sojgat

Tried doing it with some randoms. Was pretty fun, but it really seems like you need two of each class for it to work. Titan shield would have come in handy I'm sure, but we didn't have any.

Steel

Banned

Light levels=armor. You need to find some purple armor to reach level 26. Unfortunately, RNG is a joke in this game, it might take you a small amount of time, it might take you forever.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The fact that no one has finished it yet is mind blowing.

4th i believe

FFXIV's last raid stage (COIL stage 9) took a few days or weeks for the first group in the world to beat. Only a handful of people on GAF's guild have beaten it since it's been out the last couple of months.

They make these things über hard, to keep people (a smaller percentage of the whole) playing the game. Something to strive for, similar to getting all of the achievements on a game.

As soon as by give comes up with more raids, they'll "nerf" this one down for the casual players. That's the MMO endgame design.

KingV

I don't understand who this game is marketed to. I can't imagine even 1% of Destiny players ever completing this. It looks really hard even if you know exactly what to do.

Is it just me or is the boss's health not moving at all in the Streamerhouse stream? They've been doing the same thing over and over and between the six of them I haven't noticed his health meter budge from the half way mark.

Z3M0G

If you die in the raid, you can't respawn yourself after 30 sec? you must still wait for a team-mate to revive you? Or is it encounter specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom