• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

I agree from a strategy perspective variety of Guardian class and subclass will probably pay dividends in the raid, but I doubt there will be subclass requirements to complete them.
Considering the limited amount of different subclasses per class, agreed. This isn't a traditional rpg where you need a healer or buffer or you're dead. Bosses in the beta already practically had 1 hit kill bullshit moves so it's not like it's impossible to defeat bosses without healers.

Homeboyd

I guess you have more faith in their innovation then I do. I'm assuming they cant create this super difficulty mechanics, outside of just ramping up the gear check, based on raiding in a lot of MMO's and playing a lot of FPS games. You are assuming their innovation in this part justifies the lack of matchmaking, that's fine with me, but if this was Vegas I most definitely would be taking my odds.
I'm just saying, everyone is telling us/Bungie they are absolutely wrong by excluding MM when they know less than nothing about raids and what's required to complete them.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
This. This shit right here. This is the only stuff you guys can come up with as a counter argument. "Your random will be a moron playing with his feet. He'll also be deaf and mute".. Most of the time, no he fucking won't. Do you know how many games I've played with random people that are more then "Aim and shoot" successfully? Many. Heck, Battlefield 4. I play with randoms there and I have no mic. I've been a part of some tight squads that are able to successfully flank, defend and take out heavy armor all by simply seeing what kit the other guy has and following eachother.

"B-b-b-but these are COMPLEX PUZZLES, you'll need to communicate!"

The only examples that have been given so far are pillars that all 6 need to jump across that vanish shortly after the first person jumps, and opening a door by standing on 6 pressure plates. Oh my heavens, how the fuck would I ever figure these puzzles out without a tight squad of my childhood friends . This is such a shit argument, and I really feel you all know it.

There is, literally, zero good arguments against matchmaking. But lets line them up anyway.

1. Random people will be under-equipped, under-skilled morons who play with their feet and have no mic.

The Raid will be locked until level 20, so they won't be under-equipped. They will have a really good understanding of the gameplay, since you know, they leveled twenty-freaking-times. Most players use mics. If they don't, who gives a shit. Your voice will still be booming from their television, giving suggestions and orders. Also, players going into Raid will, shockingly, be up for Raiding. Players that aren't up for it, will only join once or twice before realizing it's not for them.

2. People will complain about the difficulty curve if anyone can join through matchmaking! Bungie will nerf the Raids like WoW did!

You honestly think the only thing that will prevent people from complaining about the Raid difficulty is the fact they need to manually invite players to the group? I've got some property on the moon for sale, interested? People will complain, regardless. Now however, they'll also bitch about the difficulty of even getting into a Raiding party. Who wants to have to visit Bungie.net and comb over LFG requests until you find someone? Who wants to click and type invites over and over at the tower? Heck, even the end all be all DestinyGAF will be a massive pain in the ass. Not like you'll be able to click on the clan in the game and see available raiding parties. You'll be in the same lame ass boat as the rest of us.

3. A world renowned guild tried for 16 hours and were unable to beat it! Randoms would never stand a chance on this! Tight squads of BFFs ONLY shitlord!

Frist off, let me say again (and this thread is proof of that), there would be a ton of hightly motivated and aptly skilled players in the matchmaking pool. Thinking otherwise is just stupid. Secondly, I don't believe this for one damned second. 16 hours? Top guild? Whatever. If the number is legit, I seriously doubt that was all playtime. And if it was, holy shit, they must have been terrible at Destiny.

Look, the simple fact of the matter is, there is no good argument against matchmaking. The only thing it adds to the equation, is making it possible for people to play it without having to jump through unnecessary hoops, and it detracts nothing.

The ONLY good argument against it. But guess what, it's not even a good argument.
Do you see how it's common sense to include it? You can't be THIS blind.

This is another lame argument.

Dude, seriously? You're serious, aren't you. Okay. I'll bite.
Bungie did this to themselves. The numbers 3 and 6 are found, literally, NOWHERE in modern co-op gaming.
Bungie is in for a rude awakening when the Raids fail miserably.
What's your problem man?

There are legitimate points in favor of a lack of matchmaking. Dismissing them with snark and sarcasm does not make them less legitimate and makes you look like an asshole. Bungie has been very clear on what this content will be in terms of challenge and that they intend to have you play through with a full Fireteam constructed beforehand. That is how they want you to go through the content. It doesn't matter if the people on your Fireteam are shit or friends or anything, it matters that you are in a Fireteam that was set up with the intent of specifically playing the Raid. If you add matchmaking, you introduce many potential frustrations and problems related to it, and those frustrations and problems are amplified by the nature of this kind of content. Frustrations / problems including but not limited to;

People playing without headset.
People just coming in and trying for the first time only to give up after 15 minutes.
People that can't play for as long as you want for any reason.
People not really interested in doing the Raid but just 'checking it out' because they have nothing to do.
People coming in unprepared.
People that already finished the Raid and take their frustration out on everyone for them not knowing what to do.
People playing with headset, but in a foreign language.
People playing with headset, but with you on mute so they can just talk to their friend.
Checkpointing issues as I described in my earlier post.
If they rework the checkpointing to get rid of it for the more classic 'dump you in a match'-matchmaking; joining games in progress.
Previously mentioned issues with ending up with randoms with the same gear and thus vastly reduced efficiency vs. certain enemies.
Problems with replacing people that drop out in between checkpoints.

I'm not saying that every single random is like that, I'm saying that these are all problems that arise or are amplified when implementing automatic matchmaking. Is it possible to have great games with randoms? Yes, sure, I've had tons of great games with randoms. But Bungie has looked at the pros and cons of automatic matchmaking in the context of this specific piece of content and made the call that matchmaking does not fit it, and that is their call to make.

And I know I probably can't change your mind on anything, but I highly doubt that the Raid will be even remotely easy, considering the fact that they have weapons in the game made specifically to be more effective against a specific enemy type in the area specific to this Raid. And for more context on that 16-hour number; that was not 16 hours in a row, that was 16 hours of failing / trying again. There is nothing pointing in the direction of that being a complete lie as of yet.

Some of you people are way too over-reactive about this and are going beyond reason to condemn Bungie ( and all those who don't instantly condemn them too ) for this game-design decision, instead of just accepting that there are legitimate reasons for not doing matchmaking for this specific type of content and then arguing that there are also reasons to add it back in and taking that as the starting point for a discussion.

Again, I myself do not see harm in adding matchmaking ( though I honestly don't really see the need for it, considering the type of content etc. and I'd rather they look on how they've arranged getting into a Fireteam at the moment, as that is the real problem for me here ), but there are reasons for it's omission, and the dismissal of those reasons and condemnation of the people that bring them up does not facilitate actual discussion on the subject at hand.

gatti-man

I'm just saying, everyone is telling us/Bungie they are absolutely wrong by excluding MM when they know less than nothing about raids and what's required to complete them.

It honestly doesn't matter and that's the point. Whatever is required a matchmaker wouldn't hurt. It would only provide a mixer and for people to sample the content and see what's required for themselves.

StUnNeR H2K

I understand, StUnNeR H2K. But the issue at hand is Destiny's apparent lack of in-game tools to form/join raid groups. People are suggesting matchmaking as a possible solution to that problem. I think it's okay to disagree with this suggestion but, regardless of this debate, the main problem (destiny's poor social interaction tools) is still there.

All we are saying is that something should be done to address it. And while I'd agree that public matchmaking may not be the best solution for raids (because of the reasons that you and others have pointed), I think having it as an option (even if only temporary) is better than doing absolutely nothing to address the aforementioned problem.

I'm sure months after release we will not even remember this issue. Either because it won't be or Bungie will find a way to create a simple in-game system to recruit people to raid with.

unbias

It honestly doesn't matter and that's the point. Whatever is required a matchmaker wouldn't hurt. It would only provide a mixer and for people to sample the content and see what's required for themselves.

Yup, which is why this sounds like a content stall decision, that a lot of mmo's do. Which, hey, fine I get it, but it doesnt make it any less annoying. If I have 3 friends on at that day, and that is the only day they can do it, I am quite confident in our ability to explain stuff to 3 pug people to clear the content. The fact we cant have that is annoying.

MADGAME

Considering the limited amount of different subclasses per class, agreed. This isn't a traditional rpg where you need a healer or buffer or you're dead. Bosses in the beta already practically had 1 hit kill bullshit moves so it's not like it's impossible to defeat bosses without healers.
Either way I'm psyched to go raiding to Gaffers and yeah, I'm expecting more 1-hit death moves in strikes and raids.

give-it-to-me-gifbbzcz.gif

Matchmaking would be better for finding decent players than internet forums because you actually get to see people perform.
Exactly I can just imagine how annoying that would be, also friends on all different consoles ... Literally hundreds of situations that paint it as a pain in the Butt

Homeboyd

It will hurt. I've explained many times why. It will actually hurt players experience with this mode. We're going in circles at this point.

ObiDin

Look at the strikes though, people with no mic and you can't tell them

"shoot the legs"
"take cover"
"don't revive him yet"
"you died in the same spot 3 times in a row, go somewhere else"
"why are you two both standing next to me, spread out"

Sure, but you should still have the option to use matchmaking if you can't get a full party. This smacks of Bungie of old, "No sound options because we made it perfectly". No matchmaking because we want you to experience it our way.

Give us the option, you don't even have to make it the default option, just give us the option.

MMaRsu

Banned
This smacks of Bungie of old, "No sound options because we made it perfectly".

Yup, sounds like the same arrogant shit. We know what's best for you consumers so we won't give you options.

It will hurt. I've explained many times why. It will actually hurt players experience with this mode. We're going in circles at this point.
Perhaps, but what will hurt more? Getting to the end game with a few friends and realizing there is a barrier to raiding that is too time consuming/incoveninet to proceed? Or getting to end game with those same friends, getting matched up with a couple of 'newbs' and failing gloriously. Personally the experience of actually trying the content far outweighs the alternative. But hey thats just me, and I can see both sides of the argument. I would rather it would just be designed in a way that more people can enjoy or even try it.

Additionally (edit) I think the reason I am so passionate about this, is that I have 3 friends that regularly play together, so all we really need is 2 randoms. Going to message boards in the hopes of finding people to play with seems unnecessary, and far less likely to succeed than mm. I would be wiling to bet that we would be able to clear the raid more often than not with two random people, that have mics of course ;)

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh god, is "arrogant Bungie" the new "arrogant Sony?"

Not really? It's just arrogance that they feel they can decide what options you can't have. Like messing with the sound sliders. If I want to lower the damn music or SFX let me do it ffs. Dont just not include them because in your head you feel it's perfect.

This feels about the same.

MADGAME

I'm surprised that I'm liking this thread so far. Good balance of varied opinions on the issue

Definitely varied opinions on the topic. I like to think I'm an objective person, but the only reason I can find after diluting all the fluff for the argument against matchmaking is that it is believed the difficulty level will be lowered. The theory is this will happen because matchmaking will facilitate unorganized teams and cause them to be unable to complete the raid, which will result in complaints. Bungie (who apparently have no backbone if using this argument) will have no say in the matter and will be forced to nerf the raid.

Edit: I apologize if I missed other reasons. This seems to be the reoccurring one, and the one that affects the game as a whole, and not individual preferences or sessions.

Homeboyd

Definitely varied opinions on the topic. I like to think I'm an objective person, but the only reason I can find after diluting all the fluff for the argument against matchmaking is that the difficulty level will be lowered. This will happen because matchmaking will facilitate unorganized teams and cause them to be unable to complete the raid, which will result in complaints. Bungie (who apparently have no backbone if using this argument) will be forced to nerf the raid.
I've given other reasons. In fact, I haven't even used that one as one my own.

Zakalwe

Banned
Definitely varied opinions on the topic. I like to think I'm an objective person, but the only reason I can find after diluting all the fluff for the argument against matchmaking is that it is believed the difficulty level will be lowered. The theory is this will happen because matchmaking will facilitate unorganized teams and cause them to be unable to complete the raid, which will result in complaints. Bungie (who apparently have no backbone if using this argument) will have no say in the matter and will be forced to nerf the raid.

Not an argument that justifies it.

Bungie allow matchmaking and put a warning up when you attempt to use it: "this encounter is designed for a private team of 6 players with voice communication".

Done.

There's no reason not to include matchmaking as long as they make it clear it's not designed for it. As I said earlier in the thread, I've completed similar encounters with public teams before, and I've actually enjoyed many failed attempts.

What's your problem man?

Some of you people are way too over-reactive about this and are going beyond reason to condemn Bungie ( and all those who don't instantly condemn them too ) for this game-design decision, instead of just accepting that there are legitimate reasons for not doing matchmaking for this specific type of content and then arguing that there are also reasons to add it back in and taking that as the starting point for a discussion.

Again, I myself do not see harm in adding matchmaking ( though I honestly don't really see the need for it, considering the type of content etc. and I'd rather they look on how they've arranged getting into a Fireteam at the moment, as that is the real problem for me here ), but there are reasons for it's omission, and the dismissal of those reasons and condemnation of the people that bring them up does not facilitate actual discussion on the subject at hand.

Thank you.

Thank you for saying everything I was thinking, to help save me some time.

What's wrong with matching you up with randoms you've done previous missions with? If you enjoyed playing with them there should be some type of system that matches you up with your favorite coop players... A lot of worse case scenarios come up here but from my beta experience everyone played beautifully together

aristotle

Not an argument that justifies it.

Bungie allow matchmaking and put a warning up when you attempt to use it: "this encounter is designed for a private team of 6 players with voice communication".

Done.

There's no reason not to include matchmaking as long as they make it clear it's not designed for it. As I said earlier in the thread, I've completed similar encounters with public teams before, and I've actually enjoyed many failed attempts.

The downside to this is the FPS crowd. They're not known for being understanding, calm, or rational. Even when they're winning, a lot of them can be asshats. Just imagining the outcry on forums, twitter, etc. for the difficulty will be annoying. FPS games attract a certain crowd which expects to win. Seeing so many get to a huge wall in terms of difficulty will cause the 'net to be covered in horrible reactionary posts and condemnations.

If we were talking about a regular gameplay type like MMOs usually are, then I'd be all for matchmaking on day one. Right now matchmaking isn't really needed, but I think it'll be added in at a later date.

What's wrong with matching you up with randoms you've done previous missions with? If you enjoyed playing with them there should be some type of system that matches you up with your favorite coop players... A lot of worse case scenarios come up here but from my beta experience everyone played beautifully together

Uh you can do that now. Just add them as a friend and join up.

Two Words

To the people that believe this is a good decision, what do you expect this person to do:

A guy plays Destiny a lot, but doesn't have any friends that play it much or at all. He can't voice chat or text chat with any other players in the game because they are not on his friends list. Everybody in the game is essentially a mute until he sends them a friend request and they accept it. If this person wants to even try the raid, he would have to spam out friend requests until he finds 5 other people who want to do a several hour raid at that exact moment. How is that even feasible?

David___

Banned
To the people that believe this is a good decision, what do you expect this person to do:

Go on any video game forum/ use the app and find like-minded players. Better yet, if you enjoyed playing with someone via match-making, add them as a friend.I find it unbelievable people are willing to grind for possibly days or weeks just to get ready for the Raid yet can't be assed to go get a group together.

Surbii

Banned
Go on any video game forum/ use the app and find like-minded players. I find it unbelievable people are willing to grind for possibly days or weeks just to get ready for the Raid yet can't be assed to go get a group together.
Getting ready to raid is time spent playing the game. Going on forums is not.

Mindlog

The downside to this is the FPS crowd. They're not known for being understanding, calm, or rational. Even when they're winning, a lot of them can be asshats. Just imagining the outcry on forums, twitter, etc. for the difficulty will be annoying. FPS games attract a certain crowd which expects to win. Seeing so many get to a huge wall in terms of difficulty will cause the 'net to be covered in horrible reactionary posts and condemnations.
Many of the complaints I've read in this thread are from the MMORPG crowd directed at the MMORPG crowd.

Most games will have a loud semi-casual audience yelling at comparatively small but even louder 'hardcore' audience.

Two Words

Go on any video game forum/ use the app and find like-minded players. Better yet, if you enjoyed playing with someone via match-making, add them as a friend.I find it unbelievable people are willing to grind for possibly days or weeks just to get ready for the Raid yet can't be assed to go get a group together.

Neither of those things sound appealing at all. A lot of people have never gone on a forum before and the idea of going on the internet to ask a group of strangers to play video games with them just sounds absurd. Same goes for friending random strangers just so you can ask them "Want to raid with me?" I may not have a problem with it, and you may not either. But you can't just stick your head in the sand and act like this is a reasonable step to take for most people. And there is a good chance those people spending weeks playing to prep for a raid are actually having fun playing the game, which is why they played it for weeks.

AkuMifune

Banned

On PSN I have two friends. One recently passed away and the other is in Afghanistan. I don't think they can join me for Destiny.

Of course you could tell me to go get more friends, but it's 2014. My friends are the random people I get matched up with at large.

This is lame. But whatever. Feels like a design limitation disguised as a design choice that will get patched later when they figure it out.

Homeboyd

Neither of those things sound appealing at all. A lot of people have never gone on a forum before and the idea of going on the internet to ask a group of strangers to play video games with them just sounds absurd. Same goes for friending random strangers just so you can ask them "Want to raid with me?" I may not have a problem with it, and you may not either. But you can't just stick your head in the sand and act like this is a reasonable step to take for most people.
Yep and that's not a solution. They aren't suggesting you do that. That's the whole reason they're excluding matchmaking. You searching around forums etc is essentially the same thing as being matched with them in MM. They don't want you building teams this way for raids.

Two Words

Complaining about not being able to Raid isn't time playing the game either, yet it seems like people are going to be fine doing just that at the time of launch.

So because we are fine with complaining about the lack of MM now on this forum 6 weeks before the game is even released, that means other completely different people will be okay with okay with visiting forums to ask for raid partners? Seriously? This is your counter point? A statement that has absolutely no sense or reason?

frequency

I'm not saying that it's rare to pick up randoms to fill out a group. I'm saying it was rare to succeed with PUGs until WoW put in an easier difficulty.

And while LFR may have increased the raw numbers of Raiders, WoW's overall population has lowered since it's introduction. A coincidence I'm sure, but still relevant when you're suggesting that more Raiders = more Players. It's also worth noting that WoW reached it's popularity height before LFR was introduced despite most players not Raiding. They did so due to having a myriad of other activities for players of all varieties to do. Destiny won't have as many other activities as WoW obviously but they do have other Endgame options and have said they plan on actively facilitating special events and things of that nature for the players. Iron Banner is an example of such as it's not one of the normal Crucible modes.

The thing here is that people who are arguing against Matchmaking are not saying that Bungie is perfect. Just that they have the only perspective that is informed by 100% factual information as they've designed and play tested the content. Those arguing for matchmaking are working off of assumptions and quite a few don't have any experience with Raids of any kind to contextualize Bungie's design overall.

It's like telling someone who has never had Mochi that you're going to give them Ice Cream they should eat with their hands, and they reject the idea immediately.

And I'm saying that it was not rare to succeed with random pick up players for raids. It was a very common thing to do back when you needed 40 people to do these things. And even now when you can have as low as 10 players, it's a common thing to do. Are those runs from top end bleeding edge guilds? No. But it was still successful in getting people in to see content and farm loot.

WoW's declining population had nothing to do with LFR. LFR was introduced in 4.3. Long after numbers were declining.
Not talking about raw numbers of raiders but percentage of the total player base willing to participate in raids.

Pick up groups are successful in every game where you can have pick up groups, no matter the complexity. MMORPGs, shooters, MOBAs, it doesn't matter. If you can have a pick up group, people will do it and succeed at it to varying degrees.

You have a lot of MMORPG experience don't you? I'm a little surprised that you've never seen this and that you would say the failure rate with any random pick up increases so much. I would say picking up someone who isn't a part of your core group to do a raid with was the primary method of recruitment. At least as a trial to see how well they fit in with your guild. Like, were all those guilds you were in and those around you supposed to be people who played together from 1-60 then moved onto raiding? How was recruitment done? You didn't have a trial period for new recruits in raids?

Even if all you could do with a pick up group was farm the first boss, that's still something and is still better than nothing.

I simply don't have the kind of faith in Bungie as you seem to that they know what's best I guess. And if it truly will be the first game ever that has content so hard and requires such insane coordination that a pick up group can't handle it, then at the very least they need to add tools in the game to allow people to get to that level of hardcore commitment that Bungie believes players require to even be allowed to attempt their content.

If they don't want to do matchmaking, then fine. Do something.
I doubt they can do matchmaking now anyway. I believe it's probably a technical limitation on top of design philosophy. As I understand it, you get locked into an instance ID with the 5 other people who go in with you. They probably have no system to deal with that for if it was 6 random people playing a night and then getting locked in with those randoms who wouldn't be able to coordinate schedules to continue on another night later in the week.

GhaleonEB

If they don't want to do matchmaking. Fine. Do something.

This is the big question, to my mind. How easy will it be to pull teams together? We need tools other than a friends list. Something akin to Reach's Active Roster but with better features to pull raiding teams together is something I'd like to see.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not the same thing as by talking to people you actually get information about them before you're running the content. You can find out how they like to play, what their class is, what they're build is.. what expectations/goals they have, etc... You literally get none of that information in a matchmade queue.

Queuing for a Strike and finding out that everyone is a Hunter with Sniper Rifles isn't that bad. Queing for a Raid and getting the same thing can be awful if the content requires Titan's Shield Super to survive a boss attack. Or damaging enemy shields requires Void elemental weapons/attacks but everyone placed in your party is Solar or Arc. Being able to learn this information before you start a Raid makes a big difference.

You could do the exact same thing before you guys get far into the Raid. Talk to any new players, see what they know, and weed them out. Shit isn't rocket science. Also having filters on the Raid like you do with LFR would help with all Hunters type situations.

None of these issues are even remotely new and most MMOs have come to successful conclusions to this. It's on Bungie to explain why their game is so fundamentally different than the legions of MMOs that have matchmaking to justify with the game purposefully excludes it.

ZangBa

I just want to stress that a matchmaking tool is more of a quality of life addition than anything else. Regardless of its inclusion or not, randoms will end up joining together and going through the content, the tool just makes it an easier and quicker process to accessing it. Not every random player is going to be an imbecile, my experience as a WoW player and guild leader/officer reinforces this.

David___

Banned
So because we are fine with complaining about the lack of MM now on this forum 6 weeks before the game is even released, that means other completely different people will be okay with okay with visiting forums to ask for raid partners?

When did I equate the two?

People here seem fine complaining that there is no MM before the game releases and most likely will complain even after launch even though they grinded for weeks just to get ready. That's all I'm saying.

Lemondish

As described by the creators, gathering a force for the raid is a part of the challenge. It's an objective. A part of your mission. Requesting that it be circumvented is akin to complaining about not being able to skip an objective in a story mission. The creator's intend for you to complete this task before moving onto the next step - entering the raid. It ensures you're adequately prepared so that this content is passable and enjoyable for those who choose to partake in it. This is clearly defined in what they've shared of their vision, from both DeeJ and Urk I believe.

I think this is why it doesn't make sense as to why some are so adamant about 'having the option'. It doesn't seem to jive with the intended purpose of this limitation. Perhaps it will fit when the content is on farm status, everyone knows the fights, and everyone is so well geared that they can effectively cover up mistakes other members make.

Jarmel

Banned
As described by the creators, gathering a force for the raid is a part of the challenge. It's an objective. A part of your mission. Requesting that it be circumvented is akin to complaining about not being able to skip an objective in a story mission. The creator's intend for you to complete this task before moving onto the next step - entering the raid. It ensures you're adequately prepared so that this content is passable and enjoyable for those who choose to partake in it. This is clearly defined in what they've shared of their vision, from both DeeJ and Urk I believe.

I think this is why it doesn't make sense as to why some are so adamant about 'having the option'. It doesn't seem to jive with the intended purpose of this limitation.

Maybe if Bungie hadn't created such a shitty group and communication system in Destiny, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Players shouldn't have to fight the intent of the game developers to do something basic like putting a group together.

Yep and that's not a solution. They aren't suggesting you do that. That's the whole reason they're excluding matchmaking. You searching around forums etc is essentially the same thing as being matched with them in MM. They don't want you building teams this way for raids.
So accorind to this Bungie are suggesting you just.. dont play it? Sounds pretty elitist/exclusionary to me...

I only just stumbled upon this thread, but has it been discussed about possibly having checkpoints throughout the raids and matching people based on that progress?

To me, that seems like a good solution for the "But the people won't finish and/or do what's required for the raids!" arguments.
This is the big question, to my mind. How easy will it be to pull teams together? We need tools other than a friends list. Something akin to Reach's Active Roster but with better features to pull raiding teams together is something I'd like to see.
And this is the looming question I'm curious about as well.

Lemondish

Maybe if Bungie hadn't created such a shitty group and communication system in Destiny, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Players shouldn't have to fight the intent of the game developers to do something basic like putting a group together.

I'm confused as to what you're referring to here. Putting a group together is as easy as pressing a button, so I don't think that's what you meant to imply. All I needed to do was aim at someone, hit R3, and invite them. Super easy.

I'm guessing you're referring to the lack of ingame communication options?

I see what you are saying, but gathering people for a raid isnt a challenge its a hassle. And more importantly, it's not fun really. Posting LF2M for VOG, in various forums is not a 'challenge', just a waste of time in my opinion. Not to mention it makes it MUCH less likely that you will even find someone to fill that last spot in your roster.

Two Words

I think this is why it doesn't make sense as to why some are so adamant about 'having the option'. It doesn't seem to jive with the intended purpose of this limitation. Perhaps it will fit when the content is on farm status, everyone knows the fights, and everyone is so well geared that they can effectively cover up mistakes other members make.

If this is what they believe, then they have failed to create a challenge that is actually fun. Most people don't want to have an "Ocean Eleven" experience where a ton of your time is spent just forming the team. If Bungie just wants to say "tough that's what we're doing!" then they shouldn't be surprised to get consumer backlash.

Lemondish

So accorind to this Bungie are suggesting you just.. dont play it? Sounds pretty elitist/exclusionary to me...

If this is what they believe, then they have failed to create a challenge that is actually fun. Most people don't want to have an "Ocean Eleven" experience where a ton of your time is spent just forming the team. If Bungie just wants to say "tough that's what we're doing!" then they shouldn't be surprised to get consumer backlash.

I see what you are saying, but gathering people for a raid isnt a challenge its a hassle. And more importantly, it's not fun really. Posting LF2M for VOG, in various forums is not a 'challenge', just a waste of time in my opinion. Not to mention it makes it MUCH less likely that you will even find someone to fill that last spot in your roster.

Do you not make friends online, ever? I have a friend list of 100 or so folks who play the same games I do on PS4. That was compiled only since launch. I meet someone in a match and we sometimes party up, exchange friend requests, and have a blast. It's so bloody easy to meet new people in online games that it surprises me that someone is actually worried about not having a pool large enough to play with. With 4.6 million people who supposedly played the beta, I don't think you're going to have trouble meeting folks. The best part? Nearly every piece of group content you'll be doing before you're adequately geared and leveled for raiding will put you in contact with another person.

I also don't agree that it is unfun or a hassle. I actually enjoy this amount of organization. It's why I was always drawn to being a guild officer in MMO's. Those who simply feel they need to spam a forum for this are missing the point of a social game. Furthermore, I don't see why the developers should have to cater specifically to you simply because you don't find it fun. You know what else you won't find fun? Raiding difficult content with insufficiently prepared people who do not communicate, don't know how to coordinate, and seldom cooperate. Are you then going to request they retune the difficulty because its 'unfun and a hassle'?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm confused as to what you're referring to here. Putting a group together is as easy as pressing a button, so I don't think that's what you meant to imply. All I needed to do was aim at someone, hit R3, and invite them. Super easy.

I'm guessing you're referring to the lack of ingame communication options?

It's mainly communication options but also stuff like restrictions on explore mode (as you can only do the Tower and Crucible if you have a group larger than 3) and the matchgmaking for Strikes being rudimentary.

Two Words

Do you not make friends online, ever? I have a friend list of 100 or so folks who play the same games I do on PS4. That was compiled only since launch. I meet someone in a match and we sometimes party up, exchange friend requests, and have a blast. It's so bloody easy to meet new people in online games that it surprises me that someone is actually worried about not having a pool large enough to play with. With 4.6 million people who supposedly played the beta, I don't think you're going to have trouble meeting folks. The best part? Nearly every piece of group content you'll be doing before you're adequately geared and leveled for raiding will put you in contact with another person.

A lot of people only make their actual friends their PSN friends. Can we not act like a majority of Destiny players are going to be spamming out friend requests whenever they want to find people to play? It doesn't work that way for a majority of people. You are falling into the trap of thinking everybody is as comfortable as befriending complete strangers as you are.

MADGAME

This has been addressed earlier in the thread. It isn't just having friends, it's having 5 other friends leveled up, have the right equipment, and are online and can dedicate the hours at the same time you can. Those requirements can significantly reduce or completely eliminate the eligible candidate pool for your Raid team.

Top Bottom