• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

What? L3/R3 ????

i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202304__super.png

But how will you start a game if there's no start button?
And how will you select which game mode to play if there's no select button?

Boss Man

Which is why it's harder to play games that require heavy use of analog control on the Dual Shock. It's extra work.

Nintendo's design is incorrect for their games, in my opinion, since I don't see them making a lot of games that require heavy analog control (like shooters) and third parties certainly aren't going to make any for the Wii U; but that configuration would be very natural for the PS4 or Xbox.
Heavy analog control still uses the face buttons quite a lot. In shooters specifically, I don't want to make that downward reach to reload, switch weapons, or jump. It is just completely unnatural.

I've held all of these controllers a lot (I'm sure you have too), and there is absolutely no difference in the movement of the sticks related to position (concavity helps though). There may be if the DS3 or 360 pad were configured so that your thumbs have to reach downward, but they aren't.

I wish I had a way to take pictures of my hands holding these controllers to demonstrate, because once you really evaluate it you see what I'm talking about. For instance, the DS3 actually puts your thumbs more towards an upward-middle position than a downwards one, but the controller doesn't obviously show that.

Either way, it's not some glaring issue. As I said before I actually like the Wii U's Pro controller, but the stick positions should absolutely not be imitated.

Ovid

Or so it appears. Via Ashler in the VG247 thread.

http://www.destructoid.com/what-the-hell-is-this-the-new-playstation-controller--244985.phtml

Things to note - this very likely isn't a final design even if it represents final functionality. Sony has been experimenting with various prototypes, apparently.

edit - a brightened view via Beermeister

1d2kkl.jpg

edit 2 - infinityBCRT suggests looking at the black rectangles either side of the dev kit. Suggests they might be camera lenses, providing the functionality of the rumoured stereo depth camera?
Ugh, whatever. Just show me the games.

jonabbey

Having the touchpad be able to distinguish a 'click' from a finger just sliding across the surface sounds ace. That'll make it possible to have an on-screen cursor tracking the finger position on screen before the user clicks.

Explains why they don't think they need a screen on it.

Wow, this looks fucking atrocious.

I'd rather they keep the exact same design as DS3 as opposed to this crap.
It's not much different? Layout is the same, d-pad looks improved. If you're talking about pure aesthetics, then you're probably jumping the gun there. It will look considerably slicker in the final version.

But the PS2/PS3 controller buttons are pressure based, aren't they? Obviously they aren't directly measuring it, but it's still approximated.

According to howstuffworks:

Each button has a tiny curved disk attached to its bottom. This disk is very conductive. When the button is depressed, the disk is pushed against a thin conductive strip mounted on the controller's circuit board. If the button is pressed lightly, the bottom part of the curved disk is all that touches the strip, increasing the level of conductivity slightly. As the button is pressed harder, more of the disk comes into contact with the strip, gradually increasing the level of conductivity. This varying degree of conductivity makes the buttons pressure-sensitive!

Melchiah

I dont understand people who use their middle fingers for the second triggers.

on 360 index fingers on triggers and i move them up to the bumpers as needed.

Impossible to do all the tricks in PS2's SSX without pressing three or four shoulder buttons simultaneously. It also works well with fast-paced games; ME3 MP - shoot & use powers together, WipEout HD - use picked items & brake together (depending on how you map the controls, I use to map the thrust on X). The gameplay would change drastically if you could use the L2 & R2 triggers only with the index fingers.

EDIT: SSX tricks - Elise:
#4: Crail Air L1+R1+R2
------------------------------------------------------------------------
#5: Canadian Bacon Air L2+R1+R2
#6: Experimental Air L1+L2+R1+R2
#9: Holy Crail Air (L1+R1+R2)
#10: Mean Lein Air (L1+L2+R1)
#15: 360 Roast Beef Jerky Air l|r 360+(L1+L2+R2)
#17: 360 Canadian Back Bacon l|r 360+(L2+R1+R2)
#34: 900 Experimental l|r 900+L1+L2+R1+R2
#43: 1080 Unethical Experimental l|r 1080+(L1+L2+R1+R2)
#44: Dbl Rodeo Experimental l|r 1080+d 720+L1+L2+R1+R2
#46: 1080 Lein l|r 1080+L1+L2+R1
#48: Dbl BF Experimental d 720+L1+L2+R1+R2
#49: Misty 720 Holy Crail l|r 720+u 360+(L1+R1+R2)

Gravijah

They are not digital buttons, they are analog buttons. That's how they measure pressure.

I've always seen them referred to as digital buttons, I didn't think I had ever seen them referred to as analog.

Edit: Wait, I see what I have misunderstood. Thank you.

plainr_

I really wanted the break apart controller to be true but I'll gladly take this too.

Also, I really hope that is a speaker on the controller. It can double as a speaker for those without headsets and for in game sound effects like the Wii Remote.

Top Bottom