• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

WillyFive

I have man hands.
The space gives me room to not mistakenly hit a different direction on the pad.

From my experience, you'd have to push down the button for it to register, otherwise the thumb would just rest on the button. Maybe you had a Dual Shock with a weak D-Pad?

Boss Man

The part that goes under the top half of the device, where the analog sticks are now. The thumbs will also reach the D-Pad and face buttons. A natural configuration for games that require the use of the analog sticks a lot. What would be backwards would be if both sticks were, let's say, the bottom of the device.
It is harder to move your thumbs down from their natural position than it is to move them up. Unless my thumbs are just unique or something. From any position on this 'plane' the movement of the actual sticks is unchanged. The problem is in reaching for the face buttons, which that configuration makes more difficult because of the way thumbs work.

spekkeh

Banned
ftDjGdR.jpg

Bros do you even lift.

Reallink

Love that they're actually adding new features (move tracking and touchpad) and not just shipping the same old PS1/PS2/PS3 dual shock. 16 years was plenty long for that shit.

Perkel

Banned
it says the share button cannot be programmed by the developer. the options button might be one of select or start, but the share button cannot be either of them.

My line of thought is that they removed start/select idea. "Options" will be new "Start" and select will be probably changed to touchpad and expanded.

lenovox1

It is harder to move your thumbs down from their natural position than it is to move them up. Unless my thumbs are just unique or something. From any position on this 'plane' the movement of the actual sticks is unchanged. The problem is in reaching for the face buttons, which that configuration makes more difficult because of the way thumbs work.

Neither one is "hard," y'all, or ergonomic. Quit tripping you two.

ibun

From VGLEAKS:

ORBIS Controller Features:

- Digital Buttons:

• Directional buttons
  • Triangle, Circle, Cross and Square
  • L1, L2 and L3
  • R1, R2 and R3
  • OPTIONS
  • SHARE (reserved for the system and cannot be accesed by the application)
  • Touchpad clicks
  • PS (reserved for the system and cannot be accesed by the application)

Analog Buttons:

• L2
  • R2

- Sticks:
  • Left
  • Right

- Touchpad:

• Two-point multi-touch (with mechanical click)
  • ORBIS Controller has an electrical capacitance touchpad where the position at wich the user’s finger is touching the pad can be detected. At most, two points can be detected at the same time.

- Motion sensors:

• 3-axes gyro sensor
  • 3-axes velocity sensor

- Vibration feature:
  • Large motor
  • small motor

- Light bar:

• RGB LED (reserved for the system and cannot be accesed by the application)
share and option the new select and pause...

WillyFive

It is harder to move your thumbs down from their natural position than it is to move them up.

Which is why it's harder to play games that require heavy use of analog control on the Dual Shock. It's extra work.

Nintendo's design is incorrect for their games, in my opinion, since I don't see them making a lot of games that require heavy analog control (like shooters) and third parties certainly aren't going to make any for the Wii U; but that configuration would be very natural for the PS4 or Xbox.

Gravijah

Love that they're actually adding new features (move tracking and touchpad) and not just shipping the same old PS1/PS2/PS3 dual shock. 16 years was plenty long for that shit.

Sixaxis was added on the DS3/Sixaxis & the DS2 had pressure sensitive buttons.

StuBurns

Banned
You should be able to use a DS3 for BC/ PS2 classics etc. But I'm not surprised as hardly any games use them.
Yeah, literally there's only MGS2/3 that use it I care about, and I wouldn't go back to playing PS2 versions if they even sold them on the store, so personally, I guess it has no value.

If it allows for a crisper button response, such as on the Vita though, it's a clear improvement.

eso76

Looks alright.
I was hoping it would be a little different from the DS3 (1 and 2 :p ), but it seems to solve one problem I had with it.

The dual shock always had thin "handles", these look thicker and a little curvier, so I'm sure that part will feel better. Body is a little too wide to accomodate the touch pad, though maybe

t00t

Neo Member
From VGLEAKS:

- Digital Buttons:

• Directional buttons
  • L1, L2 and L3
  • R1, R2 and R3
  • OPTIONS
  • Touchpad clicks

Analog Buttons:

• L2
  • R2

- Sticks:
  • Left
  • Right

- Touchpad:

• ORBIS Controller has an electrical capacitance touchpad where the position at wich the user’s finger is touching the pad can be detected. At most, two points can be detected at the same time.

- Motion sensors:

• 3-axes gyro sensor
  • 3-axes velocity sensor

- Vibration feature:
  • Large motor
  • small motor

- Light bar:

No info on mic or jack

Interesting!

Boss Man

Either one is "hard," y'all, or ergonomic. Quit tripping you two.
I'm not saying that it's impossible or doesn't work, just that it doesn't feel as good to reach down for face buttons as it does to reach up for them. I just don't want to see the weird top stick thing become common.

Hopefully it looks better when its actually released and polished. Love the PS3-2-1 controller, not crazy about those ugly analogue sticks.

amar212

does anyone use the select button for anything besides freaking Codec in MGS games?

Changing cameras in Gran Turismo 5?

Game never remembers your desired camera between gaming sessions, so you always have to cycle if you want to drive from camera other then bumper on the initial boot.

That and Codec basically.

Drencrom

dukeoflegs

From VGLEAKS:

- Digital Buttons:

• Directional buttons
  • L1, L2 and L3
  • R1, R2 and R3
  • OPTIONS
  • Touchpad clicks

Analog Buttons:

• L2
  • R2

- Sticks:
  • Left
  • Right

- Touchpad:

- Motion sensors:

• 3-axes gyro sensor
  • 3-axes velocity sensor

- Vibration feature:
  • Large motor
  • small motor

- Light bar:

No info on mic or jack

Triangle, Circle, Cross and Square as digital buttons is a step back in controller design. The face buttons have been pressure sensitive/analog buttons since PS2.
Go play GT5 or MGS2 HD and you can use those buttons with slight pressure to full pressure

DieH@rd

Banned
From VGLEAKS:

- Digital Buttons:

• Directional buttons
  • L1, L2 and L3
  • R1, R2 and R3
  • OPTIONS <<<<< no more Start button?
  • Touchpad clicks

Analog Buttons:

• L2
  • R2

- Sticks:
  • Left
  • Right

- Touchpad:

- Motion sensors:

• 3-axes gyro sensor
  • 3-axes velocity sensor

- Vibration feature:
  • Large motor
  • small motor

- Light bar:

No info on mic or jack

They will eliminate Start button?

velociraptor

Or so it appears. Via Ashler in the VG247 thread.

http://www.destructoid.com/what-the-hell-is-this-the-new-playstation-controller--244985.phtml

Things to note - this very likely isn't a final design even if it represents final functionality. Sony has been experimenting with various prototypes, apparently.

edit - a brightened view via Beermeister

1d2kkl.jpg

edit 2 - infinityBCRT suggests looking at the black rectangles either side of the dev kit. Suggests they might be camera lenses, providing the functionality of the rumoured stereo depth camera?

Wow, this looks fucking atrocious.

I'd rather they keep the exact same design as DS3 as opposed to this crap.

Top Bottom