• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Boss Man

0 or 1 Two states. Analogue in comparision is range of 1 to 0 (with 0,4 0,2 etc).
This isn't really correct. Digital and binary are not the same thing. Digital is defined by discrete states so 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc are fine. Think of it like the difference between a digital clock that changes its numbers each minute or hour, and a Rolex watch that is constantly moving (or your car's speedometer). Digital ticks in predefined intervals, analog glides along in a continuous motion.

Mathematically I guess you could think of it like the difference between using your fingers to count integers (digital) and trying to count real numbers (analog).

V4fscOa.png
3D Cameras aka PS Kinect.

mclem

edit 2 - infinityBCRT suggests looking at the black rectangles either side of the dev kit. Suggests they might be camera lenses, providing the functionality of the rumoured stereo depth camera?

It strikes me as extremely limiting to have them attached to a dev unit. Means you can't tuck the unit away at the back. Would make more sense if that *was* the case for them to be attached to a separate body.

Nah. 'Just' two HD cameras. Those two extra bulbs are just led indicators.

Hm, could that be why there seems to be a glass panel extending onto the back of the controller above the touch screen, Wii like I/R camera? Seems a bit pointless if they have a decent MOVE setup in there too.

Either my perspective skills suck, or it's quite a bit larger. Measured buttons and stick gate.

oShloNU.gif
I think you've exaggerated the perspective on your overlay a tad.

This one has no perspective applied, and yet seems like a more reasonable comparison:

Considering the small size of the DS3 controller, the rumoured PS4 controller doesn't seem big at all.

baSZmq7.gif

It's certainly a bit bigger, but not by all that much.

AndyD

aka andydumi
0 or 1 Two states. Analogue in comparision is range of 1 to 0 (with 0,4 0,2 etc).

This isn't really correct. Digital and binary are not the same thing. Digital is defined by discrete states so 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc are fine. Think of it like the difference between a digital clock that changes its numbers each minute or hour, and a Rolex watch that is constantly moving (or your car's speedometer). Digital ticks in predefined intervals, analog glides along in a continuous motion.

Mathematically I guess you could think of it like the difference between using your fingers to count integers (digital) and trying to count real numbers (analog).

For gaming purposes though digital is 1s and 0s only and analog is the range 0 to 1 with say 10 or 100 or 1000 degrees of variety based on the sensitivity implemented.

I do like the capabilities, but I hope that's a mic and not a speaker, or both. Although the speaker could work for voice chat , same way as a cellphone speakerphone. One less item to have in the living room and buy as an accessory and better than having voice chat coming through the surround speakers., which is highly obnoxious.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think you've exaggerated the perspective on your overlay a tad.

This one has no perspective applied, and yet seems like a more reasonable comparison:

I attempted to match the stick angles/shadows and they seem to match up reasonably well. Maybe it is quite a bit larger.

32 pages in one day over a controller prototype, let it never be said that we are not a passionate bunch ;)
32 pages in 4 hours

Perkel

Banned

I know. But there is no better explanation for people who don't know much about tech.

Same with 0,3 or 3. Just example to better explain people what this is all about.

Of course it's going to be wider. There's a touchpad. What, you want a reeeaaallllyyy tiny one or something?

Digital buttons? Oh thank god. DS3 buttons are mushy to me. Then again so are Xbox ones. There's always classic controller...

Alx

Although I cannot think of anything else, I'm still not convinced that those are cameras. Did they remove the optics ? What is the second "hole" for, it looks like it would be occluded by the central "hole", so it cannot be an emitter...
Maybe you're supposed to plug something in there ?

Hero

Seriously going with that d-pad/left analog stick layout for a 4th generation in a row, Sony? Come the fuck on.

MechaZain

Banned
Happiness over a touchpad on the Dualshock but GAF nearly burned the house down over Kinect being included on Xbox.

Begun, the console wars has.

Pimpbaa

Seriously going with that d-pad/left analog stick layout for a 4th generation in a row, Sony? Come the fuck on.

Why would they change the proper layout?

Anyway, instead of a touch pad, they should have put an oled touchscreen that bends over the top.

waypoetic

Banned
This is what Glenn/Torgo from PSNation has to say about it (i checked their Facebook-page) :

I've seen it closer-up, so there are some things that this pic doesn't really show. The size is just a bit bigger than the DS3 btw.

This version was sent to devs about 2 weeks ago

- (random poster) I hate the analog stick design. I hope they change it back to the DS3 style.
- (Glenn/Torgo answers) That's not a good picture. When you see it close-up, I think you'll be happy...

Happiness over a touchpad on the Dualshock but GAF nearly burned the house down over Kinect being included on Xbox.

Begun, the console wars has.

A touchpad does not require me to clear space.

People can't see how a touchpad and forced kinect might differ.

Begun, it has indeed.

W1SSY

Looks good to me. Why would Sony change the layout when in GAF threads it seems to be split 50/50 on preference of the layout.

Hero

Because the majority of games control via the left analog stick and should be put in the primary default resting position on the controller instead of being anchored to a design from the late 90's.

Raonak

Banned
So looks like the share stuff was right after all.

no start/select is weird.... but at the same time, in most games, the select button was pretty useless. usually one accessed the menu, and the other paused. having just one options buttons makes a lot more sense.

When emulating ps1 games and such, the start/select will probably be on the touchpad, left side = select, right side = start
option button will probably be for the emulator options. and PS button for the standard menu.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have adjusted this to make it more level, with compare same scale DS3.

DS4_zpsc43e335d.png

DS3_zpsd58e4f6c.png

Looks way better this way. You can see it's a pretty big improvement, even in the prototype.

I'm also happy about digital buttons. They feel better than analogue and the analogue features were only used in MGS2 and 3 and were way too finnicky.

Top Bottom