• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

FordGTGuy

Banned
original-556x390.jpg

I love this design, put a LCD in it Sony even a low-res LCD.

Theonik

Are the triggers on the Move controller any good? I'm pretty sure they will use those for this controller.

Can't be worse than the ones on the DS3 lol
The move controller triggers are fantastic imo. Not quite Gamecube good but pretty good anyway.

They're not exactly concave, they're convex with a rather thick ridge going around them. Doesn't look all that great, but I think they might feel pretty damn nice.
You might be right, I would need to hold one to really judge how it would feel though I can see not liking the ridge in the long run. (I like to use the entire surface of the stick to manipulate it so it would be a tactile barrier in doing so)

Jburton

Banned
original-556x390.jpg

The handles seems a bit longer than of the DS3, am I right?

And triggers similar to the ones on the 360 controller + a bigger Vita D-Pad? Sweet!

If the analog sticks feels not too loose this time than we have the perfect gaming controller.

Looks really nice from that angle.

Coming along nicely.

It is your - or general - associations that make something seem dated. I can understand how in a persons eye's, a colour could be associated with a certain time, like avocado green kitchens (really? I'm glad I was not alive then)

To say a colour is dated though is like me saying that the number 7 is old school.

The number 14 is so 1940's.

If you see what I mean. :)

Exactly. Colors can't be dated, color association with objects? Sure.

On a more related note. Have there been any pictures of the triggers yet? How can somebody post pics of this thing without the triggers visible? It's like non-gamers have all access passes to gaming products or something.

EDIT: Never mind, I see everybody is clamoring for some trigger pics.

Sky Chief

The controller looks MUCH better from the new angle.

So Kotaku is saying that the light is indeed for Move-like functionality. Seems to me like the stereoscopic EyeToy will be a mandatory accessory and packaged with every PS4. What does everyone else think?

dejay

Banned
Are the palm prongs (whatever they're called) longer and with increased diameter or is that my imagination? If so it pleases me. One thing I dislike about PS3 is the size of them - they never sit naturally in my hands. The d-pad and better triggers would be the icing on the cake.

I'm i the only the only gamer who sees no difference at all between the 360's and PS3's stick placements? I guess i have small hands because they feel exactly the same to me. The vita pad is god tier, can't wait to feel it on the DS4.

nowai

I'm i the only the only gamer who sees no difference at all between the 360's and PS3's stick placements? I guess i have small hands because they feel exactly the same to. The vita pad is god tier, can't wait to feel it on the DS4.

bk_tinyhands.jpg

Yes, you are the only one. :)

1-D_FTW

Harmony remotes are over priced for a whole slew of reasons. I just can't see why at this point, with all the smart phones and tablets out there, that adding a 2" vertical touch screen would be too cost prohibitive.

My view is this: if a touchpad gives better tracking, that's what I want. I don't want to look down at a controller to swipe anyways. And blind swiping should work better on a touchpad.

Of course, if it can't be used for FPS games, it's useless to me and I don't care what they do with it.

I'm i the only the only gamer who sees no difference at all between the 360's and PS3's stick placements? I guess i have small hands because they feel exactly the same to. The vita pad is god tier, can't wait to feel it on the DS4.

I prefer the 360 placements, but I don't really give a fuck either way. It's at the bottom of my list when it comes to controller wants. I would gladly accept symmetrical sticks on the 360 if they traded those hard pebbles for actual buttons (preferably clicky).

The actual discernible difference is so slight that it does not matter. The hyperbole behind the arguments are the stuff of console warriors.

Well, I think people take "I prefer ... " as a means of attacking their respective"favorite".

I prefer the 360 sticks and will say that in any controller thread but it's not an insult to Sony, it's just a preference. People are just too defensive.

Shit, I've been playing on that controller since 1995.

dejay

Banned
The actual discernible difference is so slight that it does not matter. The hyperbole behind the arguments are the stuff of console warriors.

It matters to me - I can't comment for others. The new controller appears to have the good aspects I liked in both MS's and Sony's controllers, as well as some Homer Car additions that won't negatively impact me, so I'm happy.

Tyrax

The latest theory I read was the the top of the controller between the triggers is a Move sensor that complements the Six Axis. Finally!

iYMg6Nn.jpg

Jack_AG

Banned
Are the palm prongs (whatever they're called) longer and with increased diameter or is that my imagination? If so it pleases me. One thing I dislike about PS3 is the size of them - they never sit naturally in my hands. The d-pad and better triggers would be the icing on the cake.

They look to be a bit wider at the top and as long as the DS1 grips were before they were shortened for the DS2:

dual-analog-on-shock.jpg

Well, I think people take "I prefer ... " as a means of attacking their respective"favorite".

I prefer the 360 sticks and will say that in any controller thread but it's not an insult to Sony, it's just a preference. People are just too defensive.

Shit, I've been playing on that controller since 1995.

Yeah that's fine. The irritating ones are like when words like "symmetrical trash" or "industry standard" are used. Especially when nothing has even been contributed to the thread.

At this point everyone needs to accept that PlayStation is a symmetrical stick console and move on or discuss other aspects of the controllers.

Jack_AG

Banned
That Start Button.
Can't be unseen.

And just like the PS4 controller prototype, it's a bit too close to the main action buttons.
I hope the Start Button placement is changed next-gen.

I thought the same thing.

I have no clue why we even have start/select buttons. They are relics of the past that aren't used for anything interesting. PS button is fine for a menu system... with a touchscreen - want to get to the system menu? Swipe down like the notification pane on Android.

Done. Start/Select are dead to me.

So awesome D-Pad and it handles more like the 360? I'm there.

If the system is BC, I will buy all my fighting games for this from this generation onwards.

No magnetometer/compass? Wouldn't that just be normal sixaxis, and not even as good as vita or move?

As for the lack of split controller, I expect this is just so you can have default pointer type controls in any games, they'll probably continue to sell move controllers for more specific games that benefit from dual controls.

no barometer? no gps/gnss?

I really hope we can buy a controller without the move light on the top. I hate LED's in a dark room. It's very distracting for me, especially for something I'm holding.

I am sure it only lights up during Move or Motion controlled games....There would be no reason for it to light up all the time..

Saberus

would a move led even affect the battery life? i have always been under the impression that led lights use very little energy.
Also I'm sure they will be using Bluetooth 4.0, will deliver more bandwidth to the device but use less power than the current Bluetooth 3.0

dejay

Banned
would a move led even affect the battery life? i have always been under the impression that led lights use very little energy.

You're probably right and having a coloured light would be a good way to indicate which controller is meant to be used. However I would like to have at least the option of turning it off when not in use just for the reasons mentioned about being distracting.

Also I'm sure they will be using Bluetooth 4.0, will deliver more bandwidth to the device but use less power than the current Bluetooth 3.0

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Hopefully the battery lasts at least the same as DS3. I can't stress enough how charging dock contacts will be needed on this thing. If the speaker is used often that will take some juice as well from the speaker itself and data streaming to it.

Just copy the 360 controller and be done with it, hands down the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Too much pride Sony, too much pride getting in the way of what works best.

I prefer the DS and others do too. Sony isn't going to abandon 3 systems worth of customers because some people prefer the 360 design and stick layout...Again, which controller you think is best is your preference, not a fact. There is no evidence that one controller design is better or more effective than another..

I will bet you this, the next Xbox will have the design you prefer....Cheers..

Top Bottom