• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

injurai

Banned
PS2-4 uber alles
ps2-46us1g.png

I'd so be okay with this.

Pagusas

Elden Member
1340078586.jpg

I don't understand this design. The curvature of the lower part of the machine makes no sense to me (what function does it serve)? I don't like the way the top piece and bottom piece aren't really flush with one another at the left end.

It doesn't need to serve a purpose, its just aesthetically pleasing (at least to me) The curve is nice.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't understand this design. The curvature of the lower part of the machine makes no sense to me (what function does it serve)? I don't like the way the top piece and bottom piece aren't really flush with one another at the left end.

to collect the dust

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Most of these designs wouldn't work due to the cooling needed, unless you made them extremely fat. That's why they go with the double stack.

teiresias

I'd really prefer if all the consoles went back to either flip-door drives or ejectable tray drives (prefer the latter since it worked well on the PS2), because anyone who's had a console fail with a disc in the system will tell you they'd rather just have to stick a paper-clip in a little hole to get the disc out rather than either a) take it apart to retrieve it or b) send it off to Sony and have them ship the disc back.

CLEEK

I'd really prefer if all the consoles went back to either flip-door drives or ejectable tray drives (prefer the latter since it worked well on the PS2), because anyone who's had a console fail with a disc in the system will tell you they'd rather just have to stick a paper-clip in a little hole to get the disc out rather than either a) take it apart to retrieve it or b) send it off to Sony and have them ship the disc back.

The problem with flip tops and tray systems is noise. They vibrate like fuck when the disc spin up.

One of my main hopes for the PS4 is Sony continue to address console noise. They did a great job with the fat PS3, which compared to the 360 was practically silent. The PS3 slim went one better, and it can actually be silent during play. The PS3 super slim by all account is the noisiest version of the lot. Not 360 noisy, but still bad.

With the next Xbox, it wouldn't matter that type of drive they use if the rumour about having to install all games (and run them from HDD) is true.

KillGore

Whipped up something else. Based on Sony's current slogan but like I said going back to what made the PlayStation brand the dominate force that it was (and one can argue still is to a point).

It's read as red-e (Ready.Make.Believe). Paying homage to the original Playstation marketing, but injecting modernism into the entire thing. Giving it a high class feel but still realizing it's a videogame system.

ibbssLxrDVxgMR.jpg

This is really really good. Please be something like this.

Uh, no. Only 20gb/60gb ps3 models had this problem. Every ps3 afterwards has a way to eject the disc even if the system doesn't power up.

seantos

Neo Member
Am I the only one who puts controllers or game cases on top of my consoles? I prefer a flat surface that isn't sloped or curved so that you can actually stack stuff on top of it and not have it fall off all the time. I have way too many components as it is to start having everything be weird unique shapes that don't sit nicely side by side in my setup. Also I don't think i have ever used a system vertically after seeing what happens to a spinning disc in a drive when a system falls over.

Now imagine that in the average person's cabinet with not alot of room to either side of the player...have fun with those discs D: *beep* fuck I just turned it off! *beep* god damn it it just ejected it when I put it in! *beep* seriously?! fucking touch panel! *beep* WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS?! RAAAAAAAMPPAAAAGGGGEEE!

That shit is abnormally long (or wide)

That's what she said! :3

Oppo

Now imagine that in the average person's cabinet with not alot of room to either side of the player...have fun with those discs D: *beep* fuck I just turned it off! *beep* god damn it it just ejected it when I put it in! *beep* seriously?! fucking touch panel! *beep* WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS?! RAAAAAAAMPPAAAAGGGGEEE!
Looking at the pic, the disc is half out, and has at least half again that much room, so wouldn't be a problem I don't think.

that controller seems perfect now. the handles are a bit bigger and thicker,L2 and R2 fixed,analogs and controller is wider and more spaced. Also concave analog sticks. Hope it looks nicer which it should. Not sure about the screen.

Top Bottom