• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid's Disgaea PC Article is a Mess | Up: Disable beta branch, issues solved

Talyn

Reviewers did for Danganronpa. You're reviewing a game, what's hurting in contacting the one supplying the review copy to tell there's issues ?
Who exactly is preventing NISA from reading their review? They released the game in this state, you seriously think it's news to them that it's broken?

Who exactly is preventing NISA from reading their review? They released the game in this state, you seriously think it's news to them that it's broken?

Based on some of the impressions given in this thread alone (myself included), yes?

Edit: Hey, they probably should've done more QA, or been more far-reaching with hardware configurations, but don't assume it's intentional on their part just yet.

No one. But what about doing so BEFORE writing, correcting, publishing the review. The reviewer expressed his concerns earlier on Twitter.

OmegaDL50

Can someone post a picture of how the game looks? All i get from google is something that looks like it runs on a GBA. There is no way even a low-end PC can't brute force it at 1000 fps, no matter how bad the code must be.

People have said similar things towards Disgaea 5 in that it should have been a PS3 game because it doesn't visually look taxing.

The thing with Disgaea despite it's aesthetics has some complex number crunching under the hood. Most performance issues on the console releases, such as Disgaea 4 and Disgaea D2 on the PS3, and especially the Vita ports of both Disgaea 3 and 4 with the numerous issues of slowdown was not a matter of hardware being unable to display the graphics but rather a case of the game loading so much objects on screen at once which caused said slowdowns to begin with.

While the game may be in 2D, however push enough 2D objects on screen it's memory intensive.

Of course in the case of a PC port of Disgaea however the memory related slowdowns should be the LEAST of an issue, unless the game had some sort of leak.

Honestly they should probably just quickly push out a patch that disables the new effects completely for the time being, they seem to be the major cause of the problems.

Dinjoralo

Huge?

Please circle it, because if you are talking about the characters, then yes, they are low res and there is not a whole lot you can do about that. Other than turning the texture filter on. Or maybe someone will be able to import 2D sprites from the newer games into this.

Focus on the border of the stage and it is clear that it isn't 720p or lower.

Okay, compare this, which is at 1080p:
4wauTAm.png

To this, which is at that weird double-PSP resolution:

I resized both images with nearest-neighbor filtering. I'm not freaking crazy here. There is upscaling going on.

epmode

I resized both images with nearest-neighbor filtering. I'm not freaking crazy here. There is upscaling going on.

Gross. I didn't look closely to see if there was any upscaling on the 3D. That's a dealbreaker if true.

Something still doesn't add up here. Going with your newer images on this subject:

(Run in two tabs to flip between)

This is beginning to be a bit of a conundrum, but I'm still erring on the side that it's not upscaling. From the default res, at the least. Note how the positioning and size of the aliasing shifts between images?

I'll dig up a screenshot real quick, but the telltale sign I've seen of upscales is that the aliasing looks the exact same in the exact same places. Give me a minute to dig up some of my Symphonia comparison shots which show that trait.

Dinjoralo

Something still doesn't add up here. Going with your newer images on this subject:

This is beginning to be a bit of a conundrum, but I'm still erring on the side that it's not upscaling. From the default res, at the least. Note how the positioning and size of the aliasing shifts between images?

I'll dig up a screenshot real quick, but the telltale sign I've seen of upscales is that the aliasing looks the exact same in the exact same places. Give me a minute to dig up some of my Symphonia comparison shots which show that trait.

I don't think it's upscaling quite form that res either, but it's clearly upscaling from something. All the edges should be completely sharp, on the pillars, the throne, everything.

Eusis

Uh... Someone's GPU is dying. Or is using integrated graphics.
Given how low end the game SHOULD be (I believe Trails in the Sky is likely a technologically more advanced game) it shouldn't really have an issue with integrated graphics if ported well.

I do hope this gets fixed up. NISA seemed to be taking it seriously enough at least with a PC physical LE, so hopefully whoever ported it will go over the issues and fix them until it's a truly PC worthy port and lay that standard down for the future with Disgaea 2-5.

Tain

Wondering if the game renders natively at an integer-multiplied version of the PSP resolution as high as it can to the target res (so 1080p could fit PSP resolution x3, which is 1440x816, but not x4), and then upscales that to the target res.

Wondering if the game renders natively at an integer-multiplied version of the PSP resolution as high as it can to the target res (so 1080p could fit PSP resolution x3, which is 1440x816, but not x4), and then upscales that to the target res.

That... Might actually be it. Though what I've heard is 1590x861, which doesn't seem integer to PSP.

EDIT: Apparently that guy had his set to Wide instead of Full.

We need someone with a 4K screen to test this.

SarusGray

Given how low end the game SHOULD be (I believe Trails in the Sky is likely a technologically more advanced game) it shouldn't really have an issue with integrated graphics if ported well.

I do hope this gets fixed up. NISA seemed to be taking it seriously enough at least with a PC physical LE, so hopefully whoever ported it will go over the issues and fix them until it's a truly PC worthy port and lay that standard down for the future with Disgaea 2-5.

NISA is trying really hard to break in to the PC scene. They had a TV commercial, physical PC limited edition, and advertise the shit out of it. (versus Disgaea 5's advertisement) I doubt they'll leave it be. What's worrisome though is the large amount of games being developed by nippon ichi in japan and how much reshuffling they have to do. I hope they can handle all this load. (considering yomawari, nearly textless game is taking almost a year to localize)

Wereroku

Yeah, those foolish people that have standards. If only people could just suck up and stay with shitty ports.

If they have standards and don't buy it and never get another NIS game on pc will that stop them from complaining at every announcement?

On topic though I am guessing they didn't do enough QA on this title I wonder what their statement is going to be.

On topic though I am guessing they didn't do enough QA on this title I wonder what their statement is going to be.

Testing is only going to be as good as the time given and the priority given to the discovered bugs. It's easy to blame a lack of QA but management has to give the final go to launch in the end.

This is a sloppy port. The lack of resolution options, a binary-formatted .cfg file and the gfx features that nobody asked for making the game ugly (DoF, Edge Blur, SSAO) all mar the release and make it a bad example for other developers wishing to please a PC audience.

I'm still happy enough with it not to demand a refund. About the only things I'd really rather see is proper resolution support and better mouse control over menus. This still has the potential to be the definitive Disgaea experience.

Testing is only going to be as good as the time given and the priority given to the discovered bugs. It's easy to blame a lack of QA but management has to give the final go to launch in the end.

This is a sloppy port. The lack of resolution options, a binary-formatted .cfg file and the gfx features that nobody asked for making the game ugly (DoF, Edge Blur, SSAO) all mar the release and make it a bad example for other developers wishing to please a PC audience.

I'm still happy enough with it not to demand a refund. About the only things I'd really rather see is proper resolution support and better mouse control over menus. This still has the potential to be the definitive Disgaea experience.

Honestly, the only thing that's bugging me is...I want to be able to speed up animations and message speed if possible, I played Disgaea 1 after getting into the series with 3 (which had a speed-up function), so maybe it doesn't inherently support that, but at the very least, I'd like to see a way to just have text scroll immediately.

Small issues, but for a game that could potentially take hundreds of hours of playtime, it adds up.

aravuus

So, aside from the obvious Steam stuff (cards, overlay etc), is there any reason to get the port over emulating currently?

Laharl's speed through the castle is MUCH faster if you use the mouse, at least.

But yeah the QOL speedup from the sequels isn't present here. Only the animation skips from the PSP version is in. It's not really that bad considering the much shorter grind in this game compared to the later entries.

WolvenOne

Well, it's a good thing I rarely buy PC games right when they launch. Still a shame though, was actually feeling an itch to play this game again recently.

I wonder how Phantom Brave is going to fair, now...

I mean, if the Koei-Tecmo stuff is any indication, initial sales will take a hit, if they haven't fixed their pipeline and made improvements since, it will end up selling less and people will have every right to be scared unless otherwise stated.

But if they take the feedback from this and a) work to resolve the issues present in Disgaea PC and b) make sure to take these things into account for future releases, things aren't quite as doom & gloom as some might see it.

mfaex

http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/907844117156430250 Day 2 update.

Hi Everyone!

Firstly, I would like to reach out to our Disgaea PC users and give thanks for being patient with our release of Disgaea PC. We wanted to keep the Disgaea PC community updated on what exactly is going on a day-to-day basis.

As of today, we have noted three major threads and are aware of the issues mentioned in these threads:

Refund thread
“60 FPS, NO Issues Club”
Disgaea PC issue thread

We have also created two new threads within the discussion board:

1.) Having issues with your game? [READ ME FIRST]
http://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/0/412448158147437177/

This thread discusses the frequently asked questions throughout various discussions of Disgaea PC. Please read this FAQ first prior to posting a new thread to keep the discussions organized.

2.) Bug Reports:http://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/3/412448158147364362/

As the title mentions, the “Bug Reports” thread is an area where you can list your issue as well as your system information. This information is incredibly vital for our dev team to know, so we can better analyze the issues Disgaea PC users are facing.

Please understand that we are continuing to update every Disgaea PC user on the daily basis and provide any new developments as days progress. Another update announcement will also be provided tomorrow, so stay tuned, dood!

Best,
Robbie

Apparently opting out of the steam beta client, if you are in, is clearing up problems for some people.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/0/412448158148686380/

FLD

Wow

this works perfectly. buttery smooth 60fps now

Same here! I had completely forgotten I was even on the beta client.

Now I'm getting a rock solid 60 fps with everything turned on, including v-sync.

Oh man, this is great. I really didn't wanna have to refund this one. Or sit on it until the first patch hit...

Can we make a new thread for this megaton news that Disgaea's issues seem to entirely be linked to a faulty Steam beta client?

We need to get the news out there to people who kneejerked and have already moved on.

...Is my "shitty port defence" vindicated now that we have fairly solid proof none of this was on NISA?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Whatever beta client update Valve did seemed to fix Disgaea for me. I haven't put it in full-screen yet, though. >_>

Falk

that puzzling face
Can we make a new thread for this megaton news that Disgaea's issues seem to entirely be linked to a faulty Steam beta client?

We need to get the news out there to people who kneejerked and have already moved on.

...Is my "shitty port defence" vindicated now that we have fairly solid proof none of this was on NISA?

I think that unless someone can objectively state that the non-beta client is performing a lot better than beta client, that'd be as much a speculation as what we have right now.

Realistically someone should just make an OT anyway.

Top Bottom