• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid's Disgaea PC Article is a Mess | Up: Disable beta branch, issues solved

MUnited83

For you.
Weirdly enough i'm just getting 27 fps with shadows turned on. 32 with Shadows turned off.

I'm on a GTX 970 + 4690k. I got V-sync off, SSAO off, all filters turned off and textures set to old. I even have a DirectInput device plugged in.
Pretty weird tbh, but I assume this will be patched fairly quickly.

Goddammit well there goes my hopes of getting a port of Disgaea 5 to PC... :(

Game seems selling pretty well, don't worry. The port isn't that terrible either, so far the issues seem like stuff that should be easily patched. Outside of those issues the port seems to have a lot of care with all the stuff they put in over the older versions.

I find it pretty weird that people are defending it so hard. Yeah it's not an absolute mess but it also shouldn't have been released in this state

We should demand better ports and not find excuses

I think NISA will fix it but you never know

Hopefully they can patch it. I have much love for the Disgaea series, especially this one... and for the company, so I was looking forward to them having a secure future on PC.

QaaQer

I find it pretty weird that people are defending it so hard. Yeah it's not an absolute mess but it also shouldn't have been released in this state

shut up and eat your moldy bread or you wont get D2.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hopefully they can patch it. I have much love for the Disgaea series, especially this one... and for the company, so I was looking forward to them having a secure future on PC.

Well this is their first real release so we'll see how they handle things pretty soon. Hopefully they're prompt for the people who do have issues.

Eila

Weirdly enough i'm just getting 27 fps with shadows turned on. 32 with Shadows turned off.

I'm on a GTX 970 + 4690k. I got V-sync off, SSAO off, all filters turned off and textures set to old. I even have a DirectInput device plugged in.
Pretty weird tbh, but I assume this will be patched fairly quickly.

Game seems selling pretty well, don't worry. The port isn't that terrible either, so far the issues seem like stuff that should be easily patched. Outside of those issues the port seems to have a lot of care with all the stuff they put in over the older versions.

I feel a lot of the people having problems are on NVIDIA. I have really crappy AMD graphics yet manage to run it fine.
A shame, as they seem to have put some nice work on it. I definetely have seen much worse "first"
Cladun X2
tries.

Look, I was witness to RE4 (2007 port), Dark Souls, FF13 (And FF13-2), and the recent swirling shitfest that is Symphonia firsthand, I'm pretty sure I know what a bad port is. I'll agree that the implementation of the new settings is fucked, but I'll also say that if you just can't simply turn them off since they look like arse anyway that its on you to suffer the framerate issues they create.

This is nothing nearly on the level of those things I listed before. I won't crown it as this year's Valkyria/Zestiria, but this is hardly a "shit port".

People arent finding excuse, just saying it's overreaction.

The thing is that not everyone is having these issues. I mean it's working pretty well for me (apart from that weird Wide mode bug, the resolution being less than HD, the lack of resolution option and running a little fast in combat its fine) so I've got ~nothing to criticize it on). The seemingly completely random performance is certainly a major issue in and of itself though.

I'd really hate to have to debug this though, doesn't seem to be much in the way of rhyme or reason to what setups get problems.

I feel a lot of the people having problems are on NVIDIA. I have really crappy AMD graphics yet manage to run it fine.
A shame, as they seem to have put some nice work on it. I definetely have seen much worse "first"
Cladun X2
tries.

I'm running a 980M without issues at the moment. I'm going to fiddle with the settings a bit now and see if I can cause myself some issues.

desmax

Just started playing here.

It's an all right port. Turning on some of the new graphical features makes the framerate goes down, but let them off gives me 60fps (Cutscenes seems to drop a little, but not below 50).

I let V-Sync turned on; seems to stay at 60, but I'll try the tutorial battle to see if it keeps like that.

Mouse controls works nice on the base, but talking with NPC's is a pain, and so is getting away from them.

Not happy with the button displays, but It doesn't seem that bad. I mean, this is Nippon Ichi; remember that time they tried to make a 3D game?

But hey, I do hope it gets patched soon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No performance issues here, everything seemed to be running fine.

Vsync off with a gsync monitor though, most of the issues seem to be tied to vsync.

Durante's stance is about settings that are actually powerful and not meant to be run by everyone. This isn't the case here.

I wholly disagree. This is very much the case.

Had the settings not been included, the majority of the complaints simply would not be here. The performance issues are entirely tied to the new settings.

Though perhaps instead those complaints would shift over to the more worthwhile thing to complain about: Render resolution being set to window-resolution/desktop-resolution.

Most of us who play at 4K don't have our desktops set to 4K, for obvious scaling issues. THIS is what ticks me off here, not completely avoidable performance issues.

Dinjoralo

I think I've figured it out on my end. When I start the game, I just have insanely poor performance until I tweak some of the graphics options, which fixes it. Besides that, it's running pretty well, though I wish it wasn't upscaling from a lower resolution.

I think I've figured it out on my end. When I start the game, I just have insanely poor performance until I tweak some of the graphics options, which fixes it. Besides that, it's running pretty well, though I wish it wasn't upscaling from a lower resolution.

If it is upscaling, what resolution is it then? It clearly isn't 720p or below, I've done enough pixel-counting in my day to see that resolution plain as day.

From what I've seen it looks like a case of no antialiasing, not upscaling.

MUnited83

For you.

Had the settings not been included, the majority of the complaints simply would not be here. The performance issues are entirely tied to the new settings.

This is incorrect, I'm getting at best 32 fps even with all settings to off or lowest possible.

This is incorrect, I'm getting at best 32 fps even with all settings to off or lowest possible.

Hmm... Do you have a CPU with integrated graphics perhaps? The game may be defaulting to using that as opposed to your GPU. I know some games have had issues doing that before.

For some people (myself included), a bad port is better than no port at all.

THAT I shall disagree on as well! Have you SEEN Symphonia? Playing the original in Dolphin with a Widescreen hack is an infinitely better experience than its port.

Okay Depth of Field and Blur don't seem to do anything useful (they just make distance areas blurrier) and SSAO just causes random weird black lines. Setting Shadows to High works well enough. Turning off Character Filter does what you'd expect (jaggy sprites).

The settings don't seem well explained , Normal Map ON seems to give the better textures though (more 3D).

Corpekata

Banned

Though perhaps instead those complaints would shift over to the more worthwhile thing to complain about: Render resolution being set to window-resolution/desktop-resolution.

Most of us who play at 4K don't have our desktops set to 4K, for obvious scaling issues. THIS is what ticks me off here, not completely avoidable performance issues.

The settings causing performance issues is not what I was arguing against. The settings causing performance issues MAKING SENSE is.

I was arguing against you invoking people upset with the port as being some max settings chasers when one of the settings is frigging VSYNC.

The settings are bugged, flat out. The Durante post you're attempting to use to deflect from how shitty the port is, is about cutting edge settings, like complaining you can't use Supersampling at 4k on Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 970. Not Vsync or SSAO on a PS2 port.

The settings are BROKEN and BUGGED, it is not in the same category.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
For some people (myself included), a bad port is better than no port at all.

Has nothing to do with elitest. Has everything to do with a competent product for the majority of users for their money. I am not a bigger for scraps.

MUnited83

For you.
Hmm... Do you have a CPU with integrated graphics perhaps? The game may be defaulting to using that as opposed to your GPU. I know some games have had issues doing that before.

THAT I shall disagree on as well! Have you SEEN Symphonia? Playing the original in Dolphin with a Widescreen hack is an infinitely better experience than its port.

Forced it to run in Nvidia control panel, no dice, still the same performance. Pretty weird, and even my CPU integrated card should be able to run it fine, since some people are reporting fine performance with Intel HD 4000s

Forced it to run in Nvidia control panel, no dice, still the same performance. Pretty weird, and even my CPU integrated card should be able to run it fine, since some people are reporting fine performance with Intel HD 4000s

Ah, I see. Refund or wait for patch then.

Port does seem to have a mind of its own for some reason.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I posted this also in the Steam thread

------------------------------------------

so, i tried it on my 100€ windows tablet which has like no GPU power at all (2GB RAM Baytrail tablet) and the game runs between 30 and 40 fps with all the fancy graphic effects turned off :p

thats pretty amazing imo!

they should have added dedicated touch controls, some stuff is not possible without a keyboard or controller, but pinch to zoom works which is strange...

ovEFv4G.jpg

----------------------------------

something is definitely wrong at the moment considering that the game runs on a really cheap tablet but some beefy rigs have problems with it

so, i tried it on my 100€ windows tablet which has like no GPU power at all (2GB RAM Baytrail tablet) and the game runs between 30 and 40 fps with all the fancy graphic effects turned off :p

they should have added dedicated touch controls, some stuff is not possible without a keyboard or controller, but pinch to zoom works which is strange...

...Uh, I regret to inform you but being in the 30-40 zone effectively puts you in the 50% game speed club. Sorry.

As for pinch-zoom... Is it windows zooming in on the screen, or have you found the zoom-in-out function the rest of us have been trying to hunt down?

MUnited83

For you.
Ah, I see. Refund or wait for patch then.

Port does seem to have a mind of its own for some reason.
Will be waiting for a patch. At least for the most part it all seem issues that should be easily fixed.
I posted this also in the Steam thread

------------------------------------------

----------------------------------

something is definitely wrong at the moment considering that the game runs on a really cheap tablet but some beefy rigs have problems with it

100$ windows tablet beating the crap out of a GTX 970+4690k :p

Kaleinc

Banned
This looks like a game that should be able to run smoothly on a Pentium 2 + TNT1.
The amusing thing is to stumble on posts like I have OC Xeon E7, 3xTitans Z no issues.
No shit.
In fact P2 should be able to run 10 instances of this game at once.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Will be waiting for a patch. At least for the most part it all seem issues that should be easily fixed.

We have almost the same specs (I have 4670k which is pretty much a hotter 4690k) and I have 60 fps no problems :/

This port really is weird.

The_Super_Inframan

...Uh, I regret to inform you but being in the 30-40 zone effectively puts you in the 50% game speed club. Sorry.

As for pinch-zoom... Is it windows zooming in on the screen, or have you found the zoom-in-out function the rest of us have been trying to hunt down?

yeah, it was just a test to see if it runs at all, I wouldn't play it anyway on the tablet, I have my Vita for that ;)

regarding the zoom, nope, it's the native in game zoom in/out function, not windows...

deal with it!
;)

Mohasus

Sure, in that case you can emulate the game. This one too.

But we can't emulate Disgaea 5, at least for now.

Big-E

Garbage. People as a whole though don't care about performance issues by in large. I am of the opinion that the original PSP release of the FFT remaster is an unplayable mess due to slowdown on abilities and magic yet that version of the game received unanimous praise. I played through the PS1 version more times than I can count yet couldn't get through the first act of the PSP version due to slowdown.

The mess that appears to be the Disgaea port is in all likelihood perfectly fine for a large segment of people. I just hope given the niche nature of the game that the people buying the game will be more vocal so shit like this stops happening as it is unacceptable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Nobody is excusing it. The port is bad. But can it be improved? Yeah. It's not a Tales of Symphonia level port like Destructoid is claiming. The major problem right now is performance issues. If they can fix that, the rest of it can possibly follow.

question

what operating system are you people running, maybe that can be a cause of the problem

running windows 10 with major issues with the game

The_Super_Inframan

question

what operating system are you people running, maybe that can be a cause of the problem

running windows 10 with major issues with the game

W10, i5-4690K, HD7870... everything fine besides some really short random framedrops/slowdowns from time to time

Top Bottom