• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid's Disgaea PC Article is a Mess | Up: Disable beta branch, issues solved

Gattsu25

Banned
So which one lied?

Neither?

Let's wait for more impressions but it's perfectly reasonable that one person experienced a technical mess while another did not.

Some people swear that RAGE ran well on PC and my experiences with that game say otherwise. A lot of factors can vary performance.

Dinjoralo

I will say, the keyboard and mouse controls are working well for me. Everything works well enough entirely using the mouse.

As far as performance goes, I think just having Vsync on when the game starts is what causes the massive framerate drops for me. I can turn it off and back on and it works fine.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is the conclusion that Destructoid have got it wrong?

People I know who have it are saying it's all good...

It's a mix. I don't think Destructoid's hyperbole of "WORST. PORT. EVER." is accurate. But it's a bad port for right now with the all over the place performance. It feels like they needed another month or two before selling this.

I'd honestly wait and see what NISA is going to do in regards to fixing these frame-drop/framerate issues for those of us that are currently effected by it.

No problem here either, I'm a bit disorientated by the mouse controls because I am so used to the PS controls, but it's really not a bad way to play it.

Comparing it to Tales of Symphonia is going way overboard.

Again, it's hard to say, because this can be such a subjective topic, but I will say it has issues, that's for sure, issues that perhaps a decade-old game shouldn't...but eh, works well enough for me at the moment.

After launching in windowed mode, I was able to turn everything on (though I disabled the blur effect, DoF and character filter cause they do not look good at all) and outside of combat it's holding 60, but I'll report back if going to combat changes it.

Edit: Currently in a battle, VSYNC/SSAO/High Shadows are on, running windowed at desktop resolution (1440x900), running steady 60. It's going to take some time to fully map out what factors produce what results, but yea, figured I'd let y'all know. Also...my earlier issue with the Geo Effect tiles was cause I pressed Tab on accident which turns that effect off in-game....oops.

With vsync it's pretty unplayable, without it there's massive tearing. Really hope they fix the issues since they seemed to actually care about this port.

Digital artbook is real nice, sad I didn't buy the physical edition in time.

Shantom

All the additions made for the port are either pretty bad (New textures, the blur options) or outright broken (SSAO), so from that perspective it's pretty bad. If you just treat it as a barebones port, it's fine, at least for me. Plenty of people are reporting performance issues, so a patch is certainly required.

Nishastra

Banned
Someone on Steam discovered that the game runs much better if you have a DirectInput controller plugged in (anything other than an Xbox controller, basically).

I switched my Fighting Commander to PS4 mode and sure enough, I now get 60fps with the new textures. Madness.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
i wouldn't say its a mess, it does the slightly below the bare minimum if you asked me. like if i was to grade it I'd give it a C.

Someone on Steam discovered that the game runs much better if you have a DirectInput controller plugged in (anything other than an Xbox controller, basically).

I switched my Fighting Commander to PS4 mode and sure enough, I now get 60fps with the new textures. Madness.

i switched to dinput and still had problems

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looks like I'll stay away until more impressions and news hit. Disgaea is one of my favorite IPs but I'm not going to support below average ports. =(

Yup, overreacting clickbait article. The port is fine even though v-sync is broken, same for SSAO. A lot of efforts seems to have been put into the game, especially for the assets, which some of them has been redone. Also, nice mice+keyboard controls !

Jawmuncher

So it's a decent port with some things that should make it better with a patch or two. I figured it would more or less be solid. Saying it was completely broken after someone said otherwise seemed a bit odd to me.

TheSeks

lol. So you're telling me that SF5 pads will run better with Disgaea 1 PC while they aren't supported in SF5 PC proper, and 360/X-box controllers will work better on SF5 PC versus the official SF5 pads.

EL-OH-EL Japanese publishers.

Wasn't planning on playing this any time soon, but I decided to test it out due to this thread. Runs just fine for me... 60 FPS regardless of settings. No menu hitches/stuttering/whatever the reviewer in the OP's article was talking about. No issues with vsync. Tested with both a PS4 and 360 controller. The game uses 8% of one of my GPUs (GTX680). The new graphical effects are bad, but the textures seem good and I like the new UI. It's a good port based on my experience!

Just played a bit and yeah a few issues here and there but not an absolute mess. Hopefully the bigger problems can be fixed with a patch.

So it's a decent port with some things that should make it better with a patch or two. I figured it would more or less be solid. Saying it was completely broken after someone said otherwise seemed a bit odd to me.

i wonder if the 980 is the problem, i having the same issues and i have a gtx 980

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
The game runs fine on my end for whats it worth...

No problems with vsync either... maybe I'm just lucky

Eila

All the additions made for the port are either pretty bad (New textures, the blur options) or outright broken (SSAO), so from that perspective it's pretty bad. If you just treat it as a barebones port, it's fine, at least for me. Plenty of people are reporting performance issues, so a patch is certainly required.

I like the HD menus/text/art as well as running the game at higher resolutions than PSP. The DoF and blur effect feel off, but thankfully you can set each thing individually.
I'd say it's fine, but apparently it varies by hardware.
Certainly much better than Tales of Symphonia.

epmode

The new textures are really awkward. At least in the opening areas. Many of the colors clash horribly compared to the stylish look of the old stuff. Tile variation is much worse too.

The old textures still look fine.

I'll probably leave the new UI. Everything else is off.

Nzyme32

It's a mix. I don't think Destructoid's hyperbole of "WORST. PORT. EVER." is accurate. But it's a bad port for right now with the all over the place performance. It feels like they needed another month or two before selling this.

I'd honestly wait and see what NISA is going to do in regards to fixing these frame-drop/framerate issues for those of us that are currently effected by it.

Again, it's hard to say, because this can be such a subjective topic, but I will say it has issues, that's for sure, issues that perhaps a decade-old game shouldn't...but eh, works well enough for me at the moment.

After launching in windowed mode, I was able to turn everything on (though I disabled the blur effect, DoF and character filter cause they do not look good at all) and outside of combat it's holding 60, but I'll report back if going to combat changes it.

Edit: Currently in a battle, VSYNC/SSAO/High Shadows are on, running windowed at desktop resolution (1440x900), running steady 60. It's going to take some time to fully map out what factors produce what results, but yea, figured I'd let y'all know. Also...my earlier issue with the Geo Effect tiles was cause I pressed Tab on accident which turns that effect off in-game....oops.

they are right

im having the same issues

with the almost same computer build

Cool. I'll steer clear for now

Peff

Running fairly decently on the old dual core/5770 combo outside of the issue with Vsync, with is indeed not ideal given the amount of tearing, but it'll probably be fixed quickly. I probably wouldn't bother adding the extra effects if they go on to port the rest of the series, but the new UI and portraits are pretty nice.

Bring on Phantom Brave!

Yup, overreacting clickbait article. The port is fine even though v-sync is broken, same for SSAO. A lot of efforts seems to have been put into the game, especially for the assets, which some of them has been redone. Also, nice mice+keyboard controls !

That's reassuring and the issues seem fixable, I was seriously hoping for the article to be wrong.

Ok, here's my performance guide thus far:

1. TURN VSYNC AND SSAO OFF
2. Have a controller plugged in. It would seem this has the issue FF13 had where it constantly makes CPU calls to see if a controller is plugged in if one is not detected. I'd expect a fix soon-ish though.
3. Turn down all other settings if you are not already at 60FPS
4. TURN VSYNC AND SSAO OFF

Now, if you have tearing at this point put the game into Windowed mode. That will fix your tearing issues. Either drag the window size to whatever you want (The resolution will change to match.) or hit the Maximize button and bite the bullet on having bordered fullscreen. Alternatively use Borderless Windowed Gaming or some other borderless fullscreen app, but this has given me cursor-alignment issues so far and potential overscan.

du7y

How play something like this?

mjiHIgB.png

or this

1hZf9Ml.png

And numerical gamepad controls? WTF.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ok, here's my performance guide thus far:

1. TURN VSYNC AND SSAO OFF
4. TURN VSYNC AND SSAO OFF

The game is running absolutely fine on my end with vsync and ssao turned on...

I'm not saying that it isn't a problem for you, but it really seems to depend on the system you are using, which is still a big problem of course

Fuck it, I've officially lost my last drop of patience with the Steam forums.

333fbd7c1f.jpg

>Lists instructions that are done entirely through ingame options except for one last misc note.

>"Wow, a game so broken that even gamers have to fix it themselves."

Jesus fucking christ, when did scaling down options that THE GAME GIVES YOU become "Gamers having to fix the game themselves"? This isn't some fucking Nvidia Control Panel magic or community made fixes, this is literally changing the options already in the game.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe!"

The game is LESS BROKEN THAN XCOM 2, and yet Disgaea is the one that becomes the outrage of the century! Where's that Durante quote on people who whine about bad PC ports/poor optimization when they crank up settings to max when I need it?

Corpekata

Banned
Fuck it, I've officially lost my last drop of patience with the Steam forums.

333fbd7c1f.jpg

>Lists instructions that are done entirely through ingame options except for one last misc note.

>"Wow, a game so broken that even gamers have to fix it themselves."

Jesus fucking christ, when did scaling down options that THE GAME GIVES YOU become "Gamers having to fix the game themselves"? This isn't some fucking Nvidia Control Panel magic or community made fixes, this is literally changing the options already in the game.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe!"

The game is LESS BROKEN THAN XCOM 2, and yet Disgaea is the one that becomes the outrage of the century! Where's that Durante quote on people who whine about bad PC ports/poor optimization when they crank up settings to max when I need it?

Do you really think having to turn Vsync off is normal and part of the "max settings" fad?

Not to mention SSAO for a game like this. This is hardly in the realm of needing to max things out, the settings are broken. Durante's stance is about settings that are actually powerful and not meant to be run by everyone. This isn't the case here.

except that this is a really bad port, just cause you are not having issues doesnt mean others arent,

the fact that i cant play this well with a gtx 980 is unacceptable

TheSeks

Except the port is bad. Even if crank down options the performance may be all over the place. It needs to be worked on.

Top Bottom