• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid's Disgaea PC Article is a Mess | Up: Disable beta branch, issues solved

Dinjoralo

If it is upscaling, what resolution is it then? It clearly isn't 720p or below, I've done enough pixel-counting in my day to see that resolution plain as day.

From what I've seen it looks like a case of no antialiasing, not upscaling.

I'm wanna say it's the games default resolution, which is 960 x 544, but it's not that bad. It's DEFINITELY not running at native 1080p, that I can tell you for a fact.

Teknoman

How play something like this?

mjiHIgB.png

or this

1hZf9Ml.png

And numerical gamepad controls? WTF.

Turn depth of field off.

Good.

Gattsu25

Banned
I just tried starting it up and I had to unplug my Xbox One controller just to get the menus to stop freaking out. I go to start the game and it locks up within 10 seconds of starting the intro segment.

Going to wait for some patches..

Mohasus

I just tried starting it up and I had to unplug my Xbox One controller just to get the menus to stop freaking out. I go to start the game and it locks up within 10 seconds of starting the intro segment.

Going to wait for some patches..

Typical Xbox One Controller behavior in dinput games on windows 10. You have to use the old driver.

MS has to patch this, and I don't think they will.

I'm wanna say it's the games default resolution, which is 960 x 544, but it's not that bad. It's DEFINITELY not running at native 1080p, that I can tell you for a fact.

If it's locked to any resolution, I assure you, it is not a 720P or below one. That doesn't add up with my pixel counting.

Dinjoralo

If it's locked to any resolution, I assure you, it is not a 720P or below one. That doesn't add up with my pixel counting.

Your game's looking like this, right? Where all the aliasing is really huge?

I tried fiddling with windowed mode, there's definitely some kind of internal resolution cap, but it's somewhere higher than the default window res.

I tried fiddling with windowed mode, there's definitely some kind of internal resolution cap, but it's somewhere higher than the default window res.

I don't know about you, but that looks like pretty average sized jaggies for 1080p with no AA. I don't see the distinctive blurryness of 720p at play either.

Compare, with, say, this:

Or this:

Steam has had one integrated into the client for a while. In the Top left corner of the client go Steam > Settings > In-Game > In-Game FPS counter.

yeah i know, but im not sure it was was working in disgaea, since its almost always at 60fps, even during the massive slowdown im having

Win 10, i5 4690+950 runs fine at 60fps. The gpu is at 30% usage at half the core frequency (759mhz) so it's basically downclocked by the driver. 25% cpu usage at max. The only issue for now is the bugged SSAO. Oh and disable character filter and blur which are both horrible. Not good for the people having issues right now but this doesn't seem like a bad port to me.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
It works pretty much perfectly here until I turn on SSAO at which point I get weird shadow rectangles all over the screen like this:
Not really a huge deal since turning it off fixes everything and who needs SSAO in a Disgaea game. Surprised it's even in an option.

GTX970, by the way.

Yeah the SSAO effect has a deleterious effect on the textures. Best to leave it off.

Got solid 60fps.

The mouse controls for moving around the castle are great.

I'm not so sold on the mouse controls for moving around on the field. Needing to move my cursor to each individual menu item instead of having the scrollwheel control it feels unnecessarily clunky. The response times for bringing up the menu aren't the greatest either.

sanhora

Was Disgaea PC: Launch Day Update posted yet?

NIS America Steam Team said:
Thank you for checking out Disgaea PC!

We spent a total of ten months on researching and developing this game for PC users, two months of which were spent on rigorous testing. However, we have been made aware of the fact that some of our customers have been experiencing issues when playing the game.

According to the research we have done, it seems as if most of the issues are graphics related.

Right now, we at NISA and NIS are trying to gather as much information from all over the world as possible in order to pinpoint what is causing these problems.

Please use the comment section below and let us know what issues you are experiencing.

If you could provide your computer specs, and specific details of where and when the bug occurs, we can have a better understanding in pinpointing the issue.

We will do our absolute best to fix these issues as quickly as possible, and we will make sure that all your voices are heard by the dev team.

Thank you for your understanding.

It's pretty obvious that despite all the various bugs it's not just a quick barebones cash grab. Hopefully they can iron out the major issues fast so this doesn't affect the sales too much (and the chances of the other Disgaea games coming to Steam.)

prudislav

well the D-toid reaction is way overblown , yeah its messy but nowhere near the ToS kind of trash port.

Too bad this might result in bad sales and thus no more Disgaea ghames on steam :-(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This looks like a game that should be able to run smoothly on a Pentium 2 + TNT1.
When it was released on PS2, I think most people felt that it looked like an enhanced PlayStation 1 title even. It should not require much to run well.

Parsnip

Typical Xbox One Controller behavior in dinput games on windows 10. You have to use the old driver.

MS has to patch this, and I don't think they will.

Gone Home goes batshit for me in menus, didn't know it was the One controller.

This has actually been fixed in the latest insider preview and apparently driver update is being pushed through as well in the coming month. At least Gone Home works again, I don't own Disgaea so I can't test that one.

dity

Look, I was witness to RE4 (2007 port), Dark Souls, FF13 (And FF13-2), and the recent swirling shitfest that is Symphonia firsthand, I'm pretty sure I know what a bad port is. I'll agree that the implementation of the new settings is fucked, but I'll also say that if you just can't simply turn them off since they look like arse anyway that its on you to suffer the framerate issues they create.

This is nothing nearly on the level of those things I listed before. I won't crown it as this year's Valkyria/Zestiria, but this is hardly a "shit port".

Sounds like a shit port if I have to play it with V-Sync off, window it, maximise it, wire up my PS4 pad, and then hope to god I have no more issues after that.

I find it pretty weird that people are defending it so hard. Yeah it's not an absolute mess but it also shouldn't have been released in this state

We should demand better ports and not find excuses

I think NISA will fix it but you never know

Depends, as far as I know, NIS(A) have not ported anything to PC until Disgaea PC, which absolutely needs improvements, but hey, if they have the exact same issues with their next PC port, that's when I won't tolerate that shit.

Because by this logic, Dark Souls II and 3 would never come to PC. And I'm not saying the original state of the Dark Souls 1 port is all that defensible, but at the very least, FROM learned from it and DID improve their pipeline.

Again, if this doesn't get resolved by them or they launch another port on Steam that has loads of issues, then fair enough, they're not trying and we shouldn't reward them for intentional shoddy port work.

Sounds like a shit port if I have to play it with V-Sync off, window it, maximise it, wire up my PS4 pad, and then hope to god I have no more issues after that.

Notice how everything you said can be done in fifteen seconds or less without a single third-party fix?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The PC Port of Disgaea is an Absolute Mess
And why am I not surprised? 8/

If you can't port your game to PC and dedicate a lot of time / resources / QA testing to make sure that it's in a good state to release... then... um, why even bother? We'll just get a refund and you get nothing, it's that simple.

This needs to stop.

Mohasus

Huge?

Please circle it, because if you are talking about the characters, then yes, they are low res and there is not a whole lot you can do about that. Other than turning the texture filter on. Or maybe someone will be able to import 2D sprites from the newer games into this.

Focus on the border of the stage and it is clear that it isn't 720p or lower.

aravuus

Fuck. Was really looking forward to the game. Hope they patch it soon.

Wow, some people overreacting too much, refunding before waiting for few patches, jeebus.

They're guaranteed to get their money back if they refund now. In two weeks, it'll be too late. If the game never gets fixed, they're shit out of luck.

Absolutely nothing foolish about it.

hodgy100

Wow, some people overreacting too much, refunding before waiting for few patches, jeebus.

That's not an overreaction? Why would you wait until some patches which may / may not fix the game your refund window might expire. refund while you can I say and perhaps pick up the game in the future if they fix it.

Still it looks like foolish move, especially if they buy it again (and then refund again lol)

not really. if they buy it again when there have been some patches and the game is still broken, they should be able to get a refund again.

You should really stop shaming people that enact their consumer rights.

Tizoc

Why is it overreacting? they can buy it again whenever the game gets fixed.
wait a day or 2 for the patches to roll out then if it still doesnt work properly for u, refund it
It wouldnt get you raped to just WAIT :p
Long as u didnt play it for /2 hours steam would refund the game

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
That's not an overreaction? Why would you wait until some patches which may / may not fix the game your refund window might expire. refund while you can I say and perhaps pick up the game in the future if they fix it.
Yeah, it's not that unreasonable. I just hope people have at least tried running it because plenty of others in this thread (including yours truly) haven't had issues as severe as the article in the OP. So hopefully people aren't just refunding it in a knee-jerk reaction when they don't know if the port works okay or shits the bed on their rig.

dity

wait a day or 2 for the patches to roll out then if it still doesnt work properly for u, refund it
It wouldnt get you raped to just WAIT :p
Long as u didnt play it for /2 hours steam would refund the game
I've had games I haven't even touched but had longer than 2 weeks that Steam won't refund, so yeah.

I think it's perfectly fair to ask for a refund now if people were expecting better and aren't satisfied.

You have a 2 week window to get your refund, and you need less than 2 hours played. If we look at any other refund policy, why would you wait to return a faulty/broken item? You can always buy it again, you refunding it just shows that you were willing to fork out the cash but didn't because of a failure on the product.

I see some folks saying there's a lot of apologist-talk going on, but I just want to make it clear: I just don't want anyone to blow things out of proportion, especially because let's be honest: it is such a subjective topic, for me the game as it stands works and I'm okay with that, but I won't fault anyone for expecting better of their PC versions. If you've bought it and aren't satisfied, get your refund. If you haven't bought it yet but are concerned, see if there's any way you can play it beforehand just to see if it works, and if you're not satisfied, you can always let NISA know via feedback and hopefully they'll respond accordingly.

You're expecting reviewers to do a dev's beta testing for them after the game has already been released?

Reviewers did for Danganronpa. You're reviewing a game, what's hurting in contacting the one supplying the review copy to tell there's issues ?

Tizoc

I've had games I haven't even touched but had longer than 2 weeks that Steam won't refund, so yeah.
Fair enough but i still suggest waiting a day or two and if the patch still doesnt fix it, go on ahead and refund

hodgy100

I think it's perfectly fair to ask for a refund now if people were expecting better and aren't satisfied.

You have a 2 week window to get your refund, and you need less than 2 hours played. If we look at any other refund policy, why would you wait to return a faulty/broken item? You can always buy it again, you refunding it just shows that you were willing to fork out the cash but didn't because of a failure on the product.

I see some folks saying there's a lot of apologist-talk going on, but I just want to make it clear: I just don't want anyone to blow things out of proportion, especially because let's be honest: it is such a subjective topic, for me the game as it stands works and I'm okay with that, but I won't fault anyone for expecting better of their PC versions. If you've bought it and aren't satisfied, get your refund. If you haven't bought it yet but are concerned, see if there's any way you can play it beforehand just to see if it works, and if you're not satisfied, you can always let NISA know via feedback and hopefully they'll respond accordingly.

Exactly!

Top Bottom