• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex 3 realtime screenshots revealed

Nishastra

Banned
Praetorianer said:
Why would anyone prefer a controller solution over mouse/keyboard combo anyway? :)
I have one reason: analog movement. In a game where precise movement is more important than precise aiming, I'll prefer an analog stick. As such, this is how I played Thief 3 and Invisible War (I tend to be stealthy) on PC. It's the only thing brought about by their Xbox co-development that I consider to be an improvement.

If this game allows for stealthiness rather than shoot-everything-asap gameplay, I'll probably do it here as well.

Mouse/keyboard wins for everything else, though :p

Gattsu25

Banned
Nishastra said:
I have one reason: analog movement. In a game where precise movement is more important than precise aiming, I'll prefer an analog stick. As such, this is how I played Thief 3 and Invisible War (I tend to be stealthy) on PC. It's the only thing brought about by their Xbox co-development that I consider to be an improvement.

If this game allows for stealthiness rather than shoot-everything-asap gameplay, I'll probably do it here as well.

Mouse/keyboard wins for everything else, though :p
Such poor rationalization. Mouse and keyboard offers an alternative method of movement called precise movement. As an aside, movement in PCs is substantially more precise as a direct result of the mouselook orientation which, coupled with the accurate and precise movement that keyboards grant, allows you to traverse the environment at a fidelity that consoles will never permit.

Your argument makes no sense.

The only arguments in favor of consoles are if you do not have a PC capable of running the game or are a baseless trophy/achievement whore

Praetorianer

Neo Member
I think it's really an issue of personal preference there with the control scheme. Personally, I cannot get along with pad control in first-person perspective, just because I have the feeling that it feels much less accurate than keyboard/mouse. Aiming is much less intuitive, precise and quick, too. Back then, when I used to play Doom with keyboard only, I wondered why anyone would prefer the mouse aiming over the keyboard aiming. Once I tried it, it felt so natural, and nothing came even close to it since then. It's not just aiming or moving, but all the keys you can customize for weapon binds, item binds and so on...to me, it's far more convenient than a pad controller, too.

@ MrPing1000:

Thanks for all the info. Sounds interesting. In an interview with game director Jean-Francois Dugas I read elsewhere, he stated, that the scene in the trailer, where the guy shoots himself, the mind control is not done by Jensen, but by someone else..or something? I, too, thought that it looked like Jensen wanted to actually prevent the guy from shooting himself. I smell conspiracy and evil mind control by maybe a superpotent AI?

*continues reading Neuromancer*

Gattsu25

Banned
Thoughts below.

I'm looking forward to this game. I expect it to be a fun yet unpolished play experience. I don't expect it to come anywhere near the original but the abysmal second game has lowered my expectations enough where even an above average game would be a success in my opinion.
MrPing1000 said:
Didn't see this thread. Might as well post this here. This is from the PC GAMER UK July issue, big big preview heres some interesting stuff.

Ok some details.

THe preview was written by Tom Francis, he loves Deus Ex.

"Hmm, this kind of is Deus Ex"

"I doubt it will be better than Deus Ex 1, but I think it might be comparable". << Expected

Adam Jensen is your name and you were a security guard until some aug'd guys removed your arms. << Supposedly you lost your arms and had them replaced (as an experiment?)

The story is self contained within the game and is seperate from the other 2 games. << Expected

The game is primarily a stealth game, but light levels don't affect it, it's line of sight. Adam is able to cover against walls etc and when he does so the game goes into third person, and you can see around corners. << Primarily stealth = awesome. Being in total shadow yet still being able to be seen due to the bad guys having line of sight is confusing. It also gives some insight into the design of the game. Light levels being unimportant hints that the game will be primarily well lit and bright which, while it fits in with the theme of the future, doesn't gel well with the game's predecessor. Deus Ex allowed stealth based on line of sight and light levels, and it made sense. >_<

Silent take downs are also in third person, you can take people down non-lethally or use your augs to kill people in a very gorey silent way. << I'm all for offering non-lethal or lethal melee takedowns, but I would prefer if they all happened in first person. Still, games like Vegas have prepped me for this insane level of 1st/3rd person perspective switching. I really hope this is configurable but can ultimately live with it.

Crossbow is in!

Guards you knock out can be brought back to their senses by other guards, who then hunt for you. << Makes sense, but ultimately will encourage lethal takedowns.

You start with just your arms augmented but you can buy more augs for yourself from a Limb Clinic. These augs can then be upgraded with experience points (a metaphor for Adam Jensen getting used to them). << I like this system.

Augs use energy, no energy and you can't use them. You can upgrade your energy bar throughout the game with new pips and the lowest pip recharges itself slowly. << I like this system.

Augs listed:
Enhanced vision
Mind Reading
Mind Control (like in the trailer where he makes the guy shoot himself) << :D
Cloak
Claymore system
Icarus landing system (jump high, stun enemies when u land) << Sounds awesome
Strength (more carrying space and upgrade to carry heavy stuff)
Wrist Blades
Hacking module
Mysterious splayed hand abilities.

Running and shooting at people will get you killed, you can die from 2-4 bullets hitting you. << Couldn't have hoped for a better system.

Health regens there are no med packs. << ugh. I figured it was going to have recharging health--what game nowadays doesn't :( Still, I would have preferred having health 'pips' that each conferred a small amount of health over full health regen.

You can't lose limbs (aww). << :(

The city in the trailer is an island city built off the coast of Shanghai by one of the leading cybernetics companies. When the government wouldn't let them expand the city they just build another one on top of it. So it's a double decker island city. The developer say it's bigger than Liberty Island in the first game. You also play on the seaport of shanghai and it looks like a real life seaport... with a giant double decker city built off it. << Sounds good. The design of the city (as shown in the CG trailer) looks fucking unbelievable.

You have a female pilot.

A few characters from the original game make cameo apperances and some of the original voice actors return. The only one that seems for sure is Tracer Tong, who at this point is a computer hacker.

There is an expansive conversation system. Minor characters you just get the information from and move on, but major characters it's possible to have long conversations with resulting in either getting what you want, failing and having to try again or pissing them off so much that they won't ever talk to you again The example they give is a heated argument Adam has with a mob boss. << I want this to be great. I'm tempering my hopes, though.

Theres a line from Steve Szczepkowski the audio director when talking about the voice actor for Adam "That's his natural tone. I didn't want a mimic of JC, but he needed to sound like he's from the same family." Make of that what you will. << hmm

Hacking takes place in real time on screens in the game and is a minigame, screw up and a timer countsdown before you fail. Since it's real time a guard could attack you whilst you're doing it. << yay. more minigames :\

Theres a cover system. << M.E.H.

You can pick up all sorts of stuff, use it as cover etc or throw at people to kill them. << I hope you can pick up small animals and throw them at guards faces.

The Renaissance style is mostly limited to the uper echelons of society, most of the game is closer to reality. They tried coating the entire game in Renaissance style but it looked awful. << The little bits of renaissance that they show in the trailers, depicting the upper levels of society, look awful as well. I'm holding out hope, though.
Praetorianer said:
I think it's really an issue of personal preference there with the control scheme. Personally, I cannot get along with pad control in first-person perspective, just because I have the feeling that it feels much less accurate than keyboard/mouse. Aiming is much less intuitive, precise and quick, too. Back then, when I used to play Doom with keyboard only, I wondered why anyone would prefer the mouse aiming over the keyboard aiming. Once I tried it, it felt so natural, and nothing came even close to it since then. It's not just aiming or moving, but all the keys you can customize for weapon binds, item binds and so on...to me, it's far more convenient than a pad controller, too.
Could never play doom with a mouse because I couldn't figure out ow to remove walking controls from the mouse. I wanted to be able to look left to right without walking forward/backward whenever I moved the mouse.

Whats meh about a cover system? You like being able to die from 2-3 hits, but you don't want regenerating health, and you don't want a cover system.
I don't get it, just what the hell DO you want?

Gattsu25

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Whats meh about a cover system? You like being able to die from 2-3 hits, but you don't want regenerating health, and you don't want a cover system.
More than one way to hide.

The cover system makes the most sense for a game where the only way to hide is to not have enemy's line-of-sight on you. It's the best solution to an arbitrarily placed restriction on your choices with stealth.

Purkake4

Banned
From an interview

In Eidos Montreal's quest to be different, Jacques-Belletete said he focused the team to have two design analogies in mind--the Icarus myth and the Renaissance. Jacques-Belletete said Icarus fit the theme of transhumanism perfectly. "Dude, this guy is augmented. That's transhumanism," he said. "He has too much fun with transhumanism, and then he burns and falls to his death--this is my metaphor; this is perfect."
Far out, bro!

Reknoc

Wish first person games had the same cover system as Killzone 2, I find switching perspective incredibly jarring. Still sounds pretty good though.

I forgot to mention that yes you can pick up corpses and unconscious people as well. So I guess that'll encourage those of us that prefer not to kill anyone to hide the sleepy heads in fun and exciting places.

Oh and it's mentioned briefly that you can do commando rolls from cover to cover. Theres no mention of what your view is in cover but I presume it's also 3rd person.

Still, this game is definitely turned out better than anyone, who is aware of Deus Ex, expected. I hope they allow mods for the PC version, I'd love to see what the insane fanbase could do with this.

Gattsu25 said:
More than one way to hide.

The cover system makes the most sense for a game where the only way to hide it to not have enemy's line-of-sight on you. It's the best solution to an arbitrarily placed restriction on your choices with stealth.

Okay, more than one way to hide is good as far as stealth is concerned, I agree with that. But in a game where you can die from 2-3 bullets, I think that a regenerating health system and a cover system are pretty much a necessity. I mean, if there weren't health regen or cover, it'd get pretty tedious having to pop a medkit every 2 seconds in a firefight, right?

Gattsu25

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Still, this game is definitely turned out better than anyone, who is aware of Deus Ex, expected. I hope they allow mods for the PC version, I'd love to see what the insane fanbase could do with this.
Yep. No matter how much it seems like I'm putting the game down, it's in my top 5 most anticipated items for E3.

pmj

Gattsu25 said:
Such poor rationalization. Mouse and keyboard offers an alternative method of movement called precise movement. As an aside, movement in PCs is substantially more precise as a direct result of the mouselook orientation which, coupled with the accurate and precise movement that keyboards grant, allows you to traverse the environment at a fidelity that consoles will never permit.

Your argument makes no sense.

The only arguments in favor of consoles are if you do not have a PC capable of running the game or are a baseless trophy/achievement whore
A keyboard is digital. It offers you a single movement speed, additional speeds only through modifier buttons (shift to run) and the rest will have to be done by the player such as inching your way forward by tapping a key instead of holding it in, as the hold speed would be too fast.

Keyboards are very precise (and nobody argued otherwise), but can you really not see how one might prefer the ability to choose the exact speed they want in any situation? How one might consider that a more natural way to move in a game? Seriously?

Praetorianer

Neo Member
@ I should be doing hw

That's what I thought, too. Deus Ex 1 and 2 with the engine from 3, maybe?

@Gattsu25

I often have the feeling that ppl need to exaggerate...why is Invisible War abysmal? I mean, come on, it is not up there with the original game, but abysmal? When IW is abysmal, what is a game like Soldier Of Fortune 3? IW was a good game, but lots of people were disappointed because the gameplay was dumbed down in comparison to the first Deus Ex, but it was far, far away from being a bad game.

//edit:

Interview with game director Dugas at Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-e3-2010-trailer

ILikeFeet

Banned
if the game is truely a stealth approach, I may not like it as much as I thought. combined with the 3-4 hit kills, it would really hamper my play style. I hope you get the sniper rifle early -_-

~Kinggi~

Banned
That, looks wonderful. They at least captured the look of the cg trailer and the art stills into the city of he game. Hope rising!

i've never been a pc gamer but i've heard the name deus ex thrown around but im not sure what it is. from what i can gather its like bioshock because you can augment your character so if thats true is loot a big part of this game? also is there experience points to distribute?

I should be doing hw said:

Speak for yourself. From the way they talked about the project I expected them to go back to Deus Ex 1 and build on it from there, forgetting Invisible War even happened.

Instead it seems like they're starting from IW, reincorporating a select few things from DX1, and adding a bunch of stuff that today's console-weaned audience can't live without.

Confidence Man said:
Speak for yourself. From the way they talked about the project I expected them to go back to Deus Ex 1 and build on it from there, forgetting Invisible War even happened.

Instead it seems like they're starting from IW, reincorporating a select few things from DX1, and adding a bunch of stuff that today's console-weaned audience can't live without.
thanks-to-that-post-ill-never-walk-again.thumbnail.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
Pinko Marx: I would have preferred an item driven system, given how important your inventory was in the original. Understanding that this wasn't in place, I would have settled for Riddick-like system, which they are using for energy.

pmj: I can see how people can prefer gamepads over keyboards and mice. I just never had the problems you described. The only game I can remember where I found myself inching forward, like you described, was in WoW.

I should be doing hw: Nothing. I'm hoping for gameplay footage or a developer walkthrough, since they are showing gameplay screens before E3. I'm looking forward to developer interviews, as well.

Praetorianer: Well, that was an interesting interview. So some other character is performing the mind control? Your pilot maybe? Disappointed that the last page of the interview was pretty much a sales pitch for the games engine and the companies involved in the trailer.

Regarding IW; it was a game that never sat right with me. I originally played it on the Xbox and then later on the PC and in both cases I found myself losing absolutely all motivation to play the game after a few hours. I remember getting as far as a sewer system when I first played the game but don't even remember if that was close to my quitting point or hours before. The part that stood out the most for me was a weak first impression the game left, which was reaffirmed when I retried the game on PC. I recently tried it again on steam and couldn't even make it to your first real mission on my latest playthrough, which is my time with the game that I can remember the best. I can't even tell why I initially lost interest with the game when I first played it because I can't remember anything about the game. It was entirely forgettable.

terrdactycalsrock: Deus Ex came out on the PS2 and was a better than expected port. A sequel to Deus Ex was made for the original XBox. The games had loot, but it wasn't in the Diablo style where every item was overpowered. The abilities were used less often than in Bioshock, but had greater impact.

syllogism

DennisK4 said:
No, he isn't and neither are you two numbskulls.
Deus Ex is among my favorite games ever and I basically love the "genre"; in fact, it's the only kind of shooter I'm really interested in. It doesn't change the fact there was room for improvement. I'm mostly referring to the first part of the quote.

ILikeFeet

Banned
granted I may have been spoiled by Half Life 2. not at all the same, but changed my expectations for any game with guns

Darkman M

Pinko Marx said:

Your Avatar rocks hard man.

Twig

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
But in a game where you can die from 2-3 bullets, I think that a regenerating health system and a cover system are pretty much a necessity
Fuck that stupid noise you have horrible taste in game design.

Regenerating health is the worst thing to happen to games.

If there's regenerating health, make it a skill or aug (where it slowly ticks back up) that you have to spend points or canisters on to the expense of other skills, like in DX1.

Dennis

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Okay, more than one way to hide is good as far as stealth is concerned, I agree with that. But in a game where you can die from 2-3 bullets, I think that a regenerating health system and a cover system are pretty much a necessity. I mean, if there weren't health regen or cover, it'd get pretty tedious having to pop a medkit every 2 seconds in a firefight, right?
Oh.My.God - how is it possible to put so much wrong into one post.

People like you are the reason something like Invisible War gets made.

Top Bottom