• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex 3 realtime screenshots revealed

1vkp3.jpg

look closely at the "candle" . looks an awful lot like neons to me also notice how the "candles" bulge a little at the middle and are glowing internally, methinks they are electronic candles ala the whole renaiccance themes.

mr_nothin

Banned
Resolution on these pics SUCK but I'll be damned if a lot of them dont look like concept art. Its like a weird of game+concept art. Looks cool

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
What's bad with the graphics? I'm just happy it matches the style they've set out. It's one of the few CGI trailers with comparable gameplay graphics.
It's a low res and jaggied mess?
The actual assets look good but it's hard to see past the res.

mr_nothin said:
Resolution on these pics SUCK but I'll be damned if a lot of them dont look like concept art. Its like a weird of game+concept art. Looks cool

They're obviously just shitty quality pics with bad compression. Stylistically, the in-game looks just like the trailers, same atmosphere, feel, etc. Honestly I couldn't really care less if it's 640p or whatever, as long as the art direction is up to snuff and consistent.

Cep

Banned
revolverjgw said:
They're obviously just shitty quality pics with bad compression. Stylistically, the in-game looks just like the trailers, same atmosphere, feel, etc. Honestly I couldn't really care less if it's 640p or whatever, as long as the art direction is up to snuff and consistent.

I wish more people had their priorities as straight as you do.

Gattsu25

Banned
mr_nothin said:

Note to developers: You can almost never satisfy gamers with game unveiling screenshots.

Give them false AA in screens and they cry bullshot
Give them accurate aliasing and they cry fugly

Zaptruder

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Note to developers: You can almost never satisfy gamers with game unveiling screenshots.

i.e. they're stupid fucks out there that just won't shut the fuck up.

Cep

Banned
Gattsu25 said:

The solution is to unveil actual footage instead of teasing with screen-shots.

Dead Man

Jesus christ at people bitching about the res. I don't care if it is 640x480, as long as it playes well, is deep, and captures the feel of either Neal stephenson or william gibson.

Twig

Banned
Gattsu25 said:

If they were PC shots, AA wouldn't be out of the question. Nor would a reasonable resolution.

Too bad they're clearly ugly-ass console screenshots.

But, that doesn't really bug me. I know the superior PC version will look billions better. No, what bothers me is that I don't like the art style. ): I usually love all things cyberpunk, but this took it in an unappealing direction.

EDIT: Which is weird, 'cause I thought the trailer looked fantastic. I'll reserve full judgment for actual gameplay videos, because of that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cep said:
I wish more people had their priorities as straight as you do.
If you are going to game primarily on a console, that more or less is your priority by default. If resolution was that important to you, you would have bought a PC capable of keeping up with that need.

charsace

Pictures look fantastic. Just hope this can live up to the first game. Not that I didn't think the second game was great, it just didn't touch the first game.

Salacious Crumb

The only thing more annoying than pixel counters is people that get bent out of shape over pixel counters. Let them say what they want about the jaggies and resolution of these shots, any sane person will playing this on the PC anyway.

Pooya

The last game that used this engine is Tomb Raider Underworld which ran at 1024x576 on 360 and 720p with terrible frame rate on PS3 (according to DF at least). I don't expect this to be any different, PC is the way to go.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
miladesn said:
The last game that used this engine is Tomb Raider Underworld which ran at 1024x576 on 360 and 720p with terrible frame rate on PS3 (according to DF at least). I don't expect this to be any different, PC is the way to go.
It ran great on PC too. And looks great.

mr_nothin

Banned
Gattsu25 said:

Yea because there's no middle ground. GAF is so black n white.

Maybe if the screenshots were actually native 720p instead of being upscaled then maybe it wouldnt look so bad. I can get past jaggies of a game in it's native resolution but when it's upscaled to another resolution then it gets blurry and makes the jaggies worse. It doesnt take pixel counting to tell that these screenshots are a blurry/low res/jaggied mess. As I said in my previous statement, the actual assets are really good but the IQ is ugly. The screen look like concept art (which is a compliment). Doesnt defeat the fact that the screens are horrible in terms of IQ.

revolverjgw said:
OBVIOUSLY....
The pictures are what they are. I criticized the screens, not the game. The actual screens are a blurry mess, hopefully that's not the case of the actual game...if it is, then I'll say the same thing about the game.

Praetorianer

Neo Member
Gattsu25 said:
Note to developers: You can almost never satisfy gafers with game unveiling screenshots.

Fixed.

revolverjgw said:

This.

I don't understand people whining about the graphics being dated or looking terrible, like DeusEx has always been about fancy looks. Just give me my DeusEx and haters can continue to play another CoD installment or watch Transformers 3 when it comes out.

miladesn said:

Hopefully they'll upgrade the 360 version of the engine (and fix the problems on the PS3, of course) as the one used in Underworld was still based on rather ancient Tomb Raider Legend tech (unlike the PS3 version, which was brand new).

Durante

Gattsu25 said:

For console only games this may be true. But if there's a PC version (and it's even claimed to be the lead) then no one should cry bullshot when they release, say, 1080p with 4xAA, since those are the settings many can actually play at. And it would look significantly better than the sub-720p we have now.

Twig

Banned
Praetorianer said:
I don't understand people whining about the graphics being dated or looking terrible, like DeusEx has always been about fancy looks. Just give me my DeusEx and haters can continue to play another CoD installment or watch Transformers 3 when it comes out.
God forbid people want things in a visual medium to look good.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks nice! I like the kind of painterly/water-coloury quality aspects of the graphics have. Weirdly the aliasing in some of the screens sort of seems in keeping with that.

Wow that's much better than I thought it would look! The art is great! PC version is going to be bitchin'.
Sadly, I'm excited over the fact that the MC has hair. This gen has really lowered my expectations on things :lol

54-46!

Is DX3 gonna have those walking around on the streets and talking to people bits like the first game had?, probably my favourite part about that one.

onken

Praetorianer said:

Yeah the only problem with that being Deus Ex had great graphics for the time.

Praetorianer

Neo Member
No, actually it had not. I'll cite the Gamespot and IGN reviews from 2000 as representative comments:

Gamespot:

"Deus Ex's graphics aren't very good, either. Though the game uses Epic Games' Unreal engine, which was once lauded for its exceptional visual quality, Deus Ex is actually a fairly bland-looking game because of its incessantly dark industrial environments".

IGN:

"As good as the gameplay is, visuals aren't one of Deus Ex's stronger points. Since it's built on the Unreal engine, Deus Ex isn't as pretty as other first-person games like Quake III or Soldier of Fortune. The graphics are blocky, the animation is stiff, and the dithering is just plain awful in some spots, but overall Deus Ex certainly looks better than your average game, and I'm certainly willing to sacrifice graphics in favor of solid gameplay, which this game is overflowing with."

Personally, I think the rather scarce visuals added a lot to the atmosphere of the game, so imo the graphics were good. But in comparison with other FPS (I'm not saying DeusEx is a FPS) from that time, it paled a bit.

Swifty

It's amusing watching people get bent out of shape over sub-HD when there is a PC version coming out. It's not that hard guys. If you don't want to play in a locked sub-HD res, get the PC version, set the resolution to 1920x1080 or 1650x1050 in the in-game renderer options, and you've got a true HD experience. :\

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Swifty said:
It's amusing watching people get bent out of shape over sub-HD when there is a PC version coming out. It's not that hard guys. If you don't want to play in a locked sub-HD res, get the PC version, set the resolution to 1920x1080 or 1650x1050 in the in-game renderer options, and you've got a true HD experience. :\
Well they are probably held back from getting the PC version because getting a PC that could run this at 1080p must be at least 3000$ minimum right?? I'm gonna laugh when the game has perfect controller support on PC as well so people can't even bitch about that as a reason not to roll with the PC version.

Truant

Praetorianer said:
Why would anyone prefer a controller solution over mouse/keyboard combo anyway? :)

Depends on the game, to be honest. I love my PC, I grew up on Half-Life and Deus Ex, but I still prefer some shooters on the pad. Like, Bioshock, Dead Space and Far Cry 2 felt better on a pad to me. Other games are unplayable on a pad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Praetorianer said:
Why would anyone prefer a controller solution over mouse/keyboard combo anyway? :)
Because some people just prefer it. I would never play this type of game with a controller, but there are who just can't get used to MKB or stuff like that. There were some complaints over the lack of pad support in Mass Effect 2 recently as a slight against the PC version.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Stallion Free said:
Because some people just prefer it. I would never play this type of game with a controller, but there are who just can't get used to MKB or stuff like that. There were some complaints over the lack of pad support in Mass Effect 2 recently as a slight against the PC version.
I'm sure people wouldn't have been complaining nearly as much if Mass Effect 2 had proper keyboard and custom keybinding support. Worst defaults ever.

Jenga

Banned
Praetorianer said:
"Deus Ex's graphics aren't very good, either. Though the game uses Epic Games' Unreal engine, which was once lauded for its exceptional visual quality, Deus Ex is actually a fairly bland-looking game because of its incessantly dark industrial environments".
deus ex 3 does look like it will have an incessant amount of yellow industrial environments

Didn't see this thread. Might as well post this here. This is from the PC GAMER UK July issue, big big preview heres some interesting stuff.

Ok some details.

THe preview was written by Tom Francis, he loves Deus Ex.

"Hmm, this kind of is Deus Ex"

"I doubt it will be better than Deus Ex 1, but I think it might be comparable".

Adam Jensen is your name and you were a security guard until some aug'd guys removed your arms.

The story is self contained within the game and is seperate from the other 2 games.

The game is primarily a stealth game, but light levels don't affect it, it's line of sight. Adam is able to cover against walls etc and when he does so the game goes into third person, and you can see around corners.

Silent take downs are also in third person, you can take people down non-lethally or use your augs to kill people in a very gorey silent way.

Crossbow is in!

Guards you knock out can be brought back to their senses by other guards, who then hunt for you.

You start with just your arms augmented but you can buy more augs for yourself from a Limb Clinic. These augs can then be upgraded with experience points (a metaphor for Adam Jensen getting used to them).

Augs use energy, no energy and you can't use them. You can upgrade your energy bar throughout the game with new pips and the lowest pip recharges itself slowly.

Augs listed:
Enhanced vision
Mind Reading
Mind Control (like in the trailer where he makes the guy shoot himself)
Cloak
Claymore system
Icarus landing system (jump high, stun enemies when u land)
Strength (more carrying space and upgrade to carry heavy stuff)
Wrist Blades
Hacking module
Mysterious splayed hand abilities.

Running and shooting at people will get you killed, you can die from 2-4 bullets hitting you.

Health regens there are no med packs.

You can't lose limbs (aww).

The city in the trailer is an island city built off the coast of Shanghai by one of the leading cybernetics companies. When the government wouldn't let them expand the city they just build another one on top of it. So it's a double decker island city. The developer say it's bigger than Liberty Island in the first game. You also play on the seaport of shanghai and it looks like a real life seaport... with a giant double decker city built off it.

You have a female pilot.

A few characters from the original game make cameo apperances and some of the original voice actors return. The only one that seems for sure is Tracer Tong, who at this point is a computer hacker.

There is an expansive conversation system. Minor characters you just get the information from and move on, but major characters it's possible to have long conversations with resulting in either getting what you want, failing and having to try again or pissing them off so much that they won't ever talk to you again The example they give is a heated argument Adam has with a mob boss.

Theres a line from Steve Szczepkowski the audio director when talking about the voice actor for Adam "That's his natural tone. I didn't want a mimic of JC, but he needed to sound like he's from the same family." Make of that what you will.

Hacking takes place in real time on screens in the game and is a minigame, screw up and a timer countsdown before you fail. Since it's real time a guard could attack you whilst you're doing it.

Theres a cover system.

You can pick up all sorts of stuff, use it as cover etc or throw at people to kill them.

The Renaissance style is mostly limited to the uper echelons of society, most of the game is closer to reality. They tried coating the entire game in Renaissance style but it looked awful.

Top Bottom