• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex E3 behind closed doors (20 minutes of gameplay) leaked

StuBurns

Banned
The Bookerman said:
I've seen worst from Video games, ex: Just Cause 2.
This is true, however I hold games that rely on story telling more heavily to higher standards. If you want to make a stupid game, sure, make it KZ2, JC2, Saint's Row shitty, but if you want a game that relies on character interaction, you have to step it up.

This isn't the worst by a very long stretch, but it's no where near as good as the game should dictate, for me at least.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
CosmicGroinPull said:
Really? Been a while since I finished ME2, but there was something very real about them, can't remember what it is. Here they're not completely convincing.

I mean they just stand there and wait for you to come.

If you mean that they move smoothly during dialogues then I don't see any difference here - both games use mo-cap.

CosmicGroinPull said:
Really? Been a while since I finished ME2, but there was something very real about them, can't remember what it is. Here they're not completely convincing.

Most of them just stood still and occasionally changed poses(mostly just folding their arms while leaning to one side).

Zenith

Banned
Zero-Crescent said:
I downloaded both parts before they took it down, but due to the potentially sensitive nature of the material, I'm not uploading it until a mod gives the O-K.

Zero-Crescent said:
I'm not keeping it a secret to be a jerk. ScrewAttack took this down for a reason, and I don't want to post a link to the downloads only to have it come back and bite me in the tuchas.

In any case, it'll take ~21 more minutes for the upload to finish, so either someone else will take a risk and upload it first by then, or a mod will give their approval.

Scratch that. DestinRL works for ScrewAttack and he kindly requested that I do not upload the files. I'm an honorable man, and I will comply with his wishes to not upload it again.

hmmmm.........FUCK. THAT .SHIT.

and props to the people who weren't so neurotic that they didn't have problems sharing this with the wider world.

CosmicGroinPull said:

Here they are actively bad, whereas in ME 1/2, they were pretty passive.

Ricker

I don`t get why they don`t want to show this...do they not want the general public to buy the game also along with the journalists.... *** roll eyes***

This and freaking review embargo`s piss me off...

EDIT: Get Destinrl to at least tell us why they don`t want to show it to everyone

Zenith said:
hmmmm.........FUCK. THAT .SHIT.

and props to the people who weren't so neurotic that they didn't have problems sharing this with the wider world.

No, if you have connections in this industry, and they step up and say that it really will present a problem for them if you do something, you generally be an adult and respect that.

m0ngo said:
The wait is going to be brutal.

After watching those videos, this very well could be my game of the forever. The original Deus Ex is the only game I have ever played that I beat more than 30 times. Hell, I rarely even play a game TWICE. This one is looking like it will be even... better? Is that even possible?

Haunted

It looks pretty cool.

Bit stiff, and the takedowns were executed way too easily, but I loved the mood.

Here's hoping they do a bit more with the setting. I approve of the night club, but they have this amazing concept of a futuristic city (HK or whatever) and the playable level they create is a backyard filled with fucking shipping containers? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lolligag said:
The game hasn't aged well.

Do not want.

No, actually, DX1 has aged pretty well, gameplay-wise.

Zenith

Banned
Maffis said:
It looked really cool. Was it the bad quality from the gameplay, but did the game load everytime he did a stealth take-down? Seems like a buzzkill if the game stops for a second everytime you do one.

it's alpha.

at this point it wouldn't surprise me if the bartender wasn't Tong and they were just using his model as a placeholder.

No, if you have connections in this industry, and they step up and say that it really will present a problem for them if you do something, you generally be an adult and respect that.

been there, done that. Turned out to be the better choice. I'm not going to worry if it doesn't fit into their narrow fixed marketing strategy.

besides, unless the guy was the worst cameraman in the world SA was using a hidden camera. not our job to cover up their mistakes.

1-D_FTW

The devil's in the detail with this game, but they've certainly nailed the atmosphere of what Deus Ex should be. Cautiously optimistic.

Clevinger

The game looks good; they shouldn't have left it behind closed doors. Though I'm guessing they had their reasons with placeholders and such.

DigitalDevil said:
After watching those videos, this very well could be my game of the forever. The original Deus Ex is the only game I have ever played that I beat more than 30 times. Hell, I rarely even play a game TWICE. This one is looking like it will be even... better? Is that even possible?

*high-five*

Kade

I'll need to see more of the passive stuff (conversations, hacking, social, stealth) before I come to a conclusion on this game. It's looks pretty rad though.

Zoc

lorddarkflare said:
General plotting and world were pretty solid

Yes. Keep in mind, though, that this is most because DE3 is directly copying sources which were fairly good.

lorddarkflare said:
characterization was lacking

Well, neither Tong nor the player character were very original, of course, but they were both realistic enough, and had identities that came across pretty clearly. That's actually a big step up over DE's cartoon characters and DE2's faceless nobodies. Here's a test for whether a character has been well defined: can you imagine them in a variety of different contexts outside the one you first saw them in? Do they lose any distinciveness when you imagine them that way? I think the characters we saw do fairly well on that test.

lorddarkflare said:
the dialogue was laughably bad

Yes. Again, dialogue needs to do more than just serve the story. Dialogue in any medium should be interesting enough to listen to on its own, without needing to know the details of the story. In high art, it also has to embody a worldview; it has to have a perspective on that world and clear ideas about it, and it has to be original (the hardest one, but the most important: if you can't write something that no one has ever written before, why are you bothering?)

The dialogue I heard in those videos sounded artificial, sounded very similar to things I've heard many times before, and wasn't really interesting enough that I would want to listen to a bunch of it outside the game. DE had some pretty interesting conversations about transhumanism, politics, and other subjects. Still, it was far better than DE2, where the gist of typical conversations was: "Hi, I'm the head of a huge corporation, and I just happened to be standing on this street corner doing nothing. Thanks for coming up to talk to me. I'm feuding with another giant corporation. I've never met you, but I feel like hiring you as an assassin, because you look tough. Kill their CEO and come back here for your reward."

Wiggum2007

I'm hoping they don't go overboard with in-game cutscenes. That scene eavesdropping on Tong from the vent for instance, I would love to be able to just watch from the vent rather than trigger a cutscene like they showed.

mujun

Very Mass Effectish, which is of course a good thing as I love Mass Effect. Hope they can one up the ME franchise in some aspects.

MechaX

Hm.. I definitely like what I see, despite how I'm not even a Deus Ex fan or anything.

On that subject, I should probably getting around to playing Deus Ex 1.

mujun said:
Very Mass Effectish, which is of course a good thing as I love Mass Effect. Hope they can one up the ME franchise in some aspects.

You know what.... It is Very Mass effect.

But I think it's deeper than mass effect in some respect.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bioware Montreal would make a move on some of the developpers of this team.... Or maybe they already did.

raphier

Banned
I don't like the fact that the game feels like the player has no control over the takedowns and that they don't leave a room for human mistakes.

Zoc said:
Yes. Keep in mind, though, that this is most because DE3 is directly copying sources which were fairly good.

Well, neither Tong nor the player character were very original, of course, but they were both realistic enough, and had identities that came across pretty clearly. That's actually a big step up over DE's cartoon characters and DE2's faceless nobodies. Here's a test for whether a character has been well defined: can you imagine them in a variety of different contexts outside the one you first saw them in? Do they lose any distinciveness when you imagine them that way? I think the characters we saw do fairly well on that test.

Yes. Again, dialogue needs to do more than just serve the story. Dialogue in any medium should be interesting enough to listen to on its own, without needing to know the details of the story. In high art, it also has to embody a worldview; it has to have a perspective on that world and clear ideas about it, and it has to be original (the hardest one, but the most important: if you can't write something that no one has ever written before, why are you bothering?)

The dialogue I heard in those videos sounded artificial, sounded very similar to things I've heard many times before, and wasn't really interesting enough that I would want to listen to a bunch of it outside the game. DE had some pretty interesting conversations about transhumanism, politics, and other subjects. Still, it was far better than DE2, where the gist of typical conversations was: "Hi, I'm the head of a huge corporation, and I just happened to be standing on this street corner doing nothing. Thanks for coming up to talk to me. I'm feuding with another giant corporation. I've never met you, but I feel like hiring you as an assassin, because you look tough. Kill their CEO and come back here for your reward."

Huh?

I was addressing Deus Ex 1 not Human Revolution.

Zoc

lorddarkflare said:
Huh?

I was addressing Deus Ex 1 not Human Revolution.

Were you? The original context must have been lost in the quote of a quote. What I said about DE3 still stands, though.

See

Amazing stuff, I loved Deus Ex but never got into IW for some reason.

Also, the E3 Trailer is probably the best trailer I have seen in recent memory, amazing stuff.

Looks great aside from the takedowns, which are utter bullshit and have no place in this game. It looks like every melee attack is a fucking cutscene. The one where he just runs right up to two guards and then BAM a cutscene where he kills them both was ridiculous, as was the drop down + area attack. How can anyone think that shit is a good idea? Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Clevinger

Confidence Man said:
Looks great aside from the takedowns, which are utter bullshit and have no place in this game. It looks like every melee attack is a fucking cutscene. The one where he just runs right up to two guards and then BAM a cutscene where he kills them both was ridiculous, as was the drop down + area attack. How can anyone think that shit is a good idea? Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

The single takedowns look fine. I mean, it just goes down to preference. Do you like to run up to something and thwak them in the neck or do you want a little context sensitive animation? Personally, both are fine for me.

The only part that was iffy to me was the double takedown. That is, unless it was tied to an aug like the strength aug, then it's perfectly fine by me.

DaBuddaDa

Confidence Man said:
The one where he just runs right up to two guards and then BAM a cutscene where he kills them both was ridiculous, as was the drop down + area attack. How can anyone think that shit is a good idea? Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

It looks really cool for ads and trailers so they can sell more copies. Hey, it worked for Assassin's Creed, right?

Clevinger said:
The single takedowns look fine. I mean, it just goes down to preference. Do you like to run up to something and thwak them in the neck or do you want a little context sensitive animation? Personally, both are fine for me.

The only part that was iffy to me was the double takedown. That is, unless it was tied to an aug like the strength aug, then it's perfectly fine by me.

I wouldn't mind a Killzone 3-type animation where I have to actually get close and attack myself, rather than watch the game do it for me. This fucking sucks.

Confidence Man said:
I wouldn't mind a Killzone 3-type animation where I have to actually get close and attack myself, rather than watch the game do it for me. This fucking sucks.

I knida agree, I'd prefer it all to occur from the FPS perspective but I don't think there's a chance of them reverting now. The main thing I'd like to see changed which I think they will change is that the transitions in and out of the 'cutscenes' are very janky at the moment.

Clevinger

Confidence Man said:

I just see it as the equivalent of what happens in Deus Ex. You get close enough behind an enemy and you press a button and thwak, they go down. Except in this case there's an animation. I can understand how people don't like it, though.

DaBuddaDa

Just finished watching this. I have no idea why Eidos didn't show this off on the floor. This would have easily gained some GOTS nominations if it had been! Hype +1000

DaBuddaDa

Clevinger said:
I just see it as the equivalent of what happens in Deus Ex. You get close enough behind an enemy and you press a button and thwak, they go down. Except in this case there's an animation. I can understand how people don't like it, though.

The only difference is, in one case it's "press left mouse button, guy falls down," and in another case it's "press X button, guy falls down." The amount of hate this feature is getting is ridiculous.

Clevinger

DaBuddaDa said:
The only difference is, in one case it's "press left mouse button, guy falls down," and in another case it's "press X button, guy falls down." The amount of hate this feature is getting is ridiculous.

The double takedown and the falling one are kind of odd though, if they're not tied to augs.

Draft

Stealth kills in Deus Ex, Game of the Forever edition, are janky at best, infuriating at worst. It's not fun, deep or satisfying to play guess the invisible contact point with the cattle prod.

I'm not 100% sold on press X to eliminate these 18 guys simultaneously, but if there's any area where a new Deus Ex could do practically anything and improve on Deus Ex GOTF edition, it's stealth takedowns.

DaBuddaDa said:

There's quite a bit more difference than that, but if you're defending this shit already there's not much point in enumerating it.

Top Bottom