• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

If Eidos Montreal is putting actual effort into this version, it makes even less sense. I get that they're probably going to bring the updated content to other platforms, but why even bother with temporary Wii U exclusivity?

Moff

To be honest, although they were clearly the games most discussed flaw, the bossfights are really neglectable. they were easy and took about 5 minutes each, in a several dozen hours game. its really not a reason to buy this game again and/or call this the definitive version.

If I'd buy this game again, then only because of the gamepad gimmicks. I imagine hacking, the map, sniping and maybe using other skills like the dialogue enhancement with it might be quite fun. just because I like gimmicks.

The boss fights in the game are almost objectively bad. Subjectively, since I had a stealth/hacker build, they were awful.

At the end of the day, no matter the tweaks and some added content, it's still a two years old port at $50.

I don't think anyone has criticised Eidos quite as hard as you insinuate (quite the opposite, actually), but I've seen a lot of puzzlement expressed about its viability. And rightfully so, I think this will sell terribly.

There were tons of people shitting on Square yesterday for the game merely existing. Who cares if it's $50? Is this not the generation of the one month price drop? Who cares if it sets the sales charts in fire? Are Wii U owners so defensive of 3rd party sales that they will only accept games that will do well? It's a great game being made better on a platform with a dearth of great games. It is instantly one of the top 3 games in the library. The reaction has been silly imho.

VariantX

If Eidos Montreal is putting actual effort into this version, it makes even less sense. I get that they're probably going to bring the updated content to other platforms, but why even bother with temporary Wii U exclusivity?

To protect what little value that version has for a time??

ozfunghi

Anyway... any chance a trilogy gets anounced for PC/PS360 at half price, including the new features, before this hits the stores? Lol. Straight Right déja vu.

There were tons of people shitting on Square yesterday for the game merely existing. Who cares if it's $50? Is this not the generation of the one month price drop? Who cares if it sets the sales charts in fire? Are Wii U owners so defensive of 3rd party sales that they will only accept games that will do well? It's a great game being made better on a platform with a dearth of great games. It is instantly one of the top 3 games in the library. The reaction has been silly imho.

Because they know exactly what will happen when this game bombs at 50 bucks. Publiahers will claim Wiiu owners dont buy games and end all support. Of course Wiiu sales are dismal enough to do that anyway but still

Edit: Most of this content will probably come out as a patch for the other versions

Doczu

From Amazon: Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut (Wii U/$50) - May 7

It's just that Nintendo gamers are in a shithole when it comes to situations like these.

Want to have a sequel to Deus Ex on your Wii U? Well then, buy this augmented, director's cut version of Human Revolution for almost the full price. If you don't, then say goodbye to our future projects.

It's a game that came out recently, there was no need to change it significaly to have it run on the console. It's no REmake situation, or something. It's a god-damn port. Brutal Legend for PC doesn't cost 50 bucks, and it also is a (slightly) upgraded port. You can't hope to have good sales when you do something like that.

Square can shove the game in it's ass if it's just a dirty port job.

Disclaimer: I will humbly take my words back and eat a crow if:
- the game will look better than the HD twins version (not counting for PC quality, but it would be a big +);
- will have a stable framerate;
- will have better boss battles;

Well, can someone tell me how to make a tasty roasted crow?
I'm still gonna bitch about the price (10-20 bucks too high), and untill there is a comparison with the other console editions there is nothing you can say about the graphics. But on the other hand - game dev commentary and improved gameplay/ai/boss battles sound tempting. Very tempting.

Mileena

Banned
If this was priced accordingly it could do well, given they're fixing the game. $50 means it'll sell 250 copies maybe.

The_Lump

Banned

Pretty sure Straight Right are doing this version. They handled ME3.

And I really doubt they're going to bring off screen play or any of the other improvements to other platforms. Why would they?

GetemMa

I have to say, I am tempted by this. I didn't finish it on my 360 for a variety of reasons. The improvements sound great though.

I just hope this means that they are trying to acclimate the audience for the next Deus Ex game which I hope is released this year on the WiiU.

Dammit, I loved HL2's commentary nodes. To see it in DX:HR...but don't want to buy it at full price again...ergh, I'll just wait for a price drop, but chances are, I'll definitely pick this up at some point. I love love love reading behind-the-scenes stuff, especially how Valve did HL2's and Portal 2's. Developer commentary is something I wish more of my favourite developers would do, so I'm really glad I'll be able to hear Eidos' thoughts on DX:HR as I play the game.

mclem

I already said the boss fights were not a big deal. They were not the best part of the game to be sure but they were relatively easy to get through. Other than that I'm not seeing improvements other than a generic "AI will be better" which is something that is really hard for most people to pick out, unless there is a drastic improvement.

I think the big significance of them was that - as I understand it, do correct me if I'm wrong - they didn't work for some forms of roleplaying which were otherwise fully-supported by the game; you had to 'break character' for a boss and then swap back. That kinda sucks for the game's flow.

gdt

Sounds like nice changes....but nothing to be hyped over. And the PC version is $5...right now. And it will look better and play better. Stuffing the gamepad full of shit cause you can is annoying.

And I've no doubt that the AI and Boss improvements will make it over to the PC version....you know...the one that actually sells.

I have to say, I am tempted by this. I didn't finish it on my 360 for a variety of reasons. The improvements sound great though.

I just hope this means that they are trying to acclimate the audience for the next Deus Ex game which I hope is released this year.

Deus Ex 4 is going to be PS4/720 just like Thief which is why this port makes little sense to begin with besides throwing wii u owners a bone. And didnt ME3 have issues? So im not convinced of straight rights porting ability

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The new improvements sound great and it's a great deal for those who don't have the game already.

However, for me, it's not worth it having already played it on the 360. I'd rather spend $49 on a new game I haven't played yet, though I will admit I wish I played it with the GamePad features (mainly map on the screen + inventory)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I would think AI changes, etc could. Though it depends if they are tweaked or completely redone. Integrating the extra missions might be harder as you have to buy those and not everyone has them. The Tong mission was a a preorder bonus and not sure if that is even for sale. They'd have to make a patch that looks to see if you have the extra missions and somehow add it into the base game. On the PC I think Missing Link is actually treated as a separate game you don't even access from within Deus Ex: Human Revolution itself. It launches separately.

The cost to patch something like this on the other consoles might also be a problem as suggested above. It also likely won't be smooth sailing either after the first patch so it might take a few to get it right. PC on the other hand this might not be a problem.
Well, can they just release Director's Cut version digitally or sell a retail version at the adequate price? I mean without Wii U functions.

I have the original game and Missing Link DLC in Steam, but Director's Cut is a more completed story which you can play from start to finish without switching the original game to Missing Link after mission in port. Not to mention changes in gameplay, boss fights and other stuff not related to Wii U functions.

Derrick01

Banned
I think the big significance of them was that - as I understand it, do correct me if I'm wrong - they didn't work for some forms of roleplaying which were otherwise fully-supported by the game; you had to 'break character' for a boss and then swap back. That kinda sucks for the game's flow.

Yeah they interrupted people who were going for full ghost, no kill runs. But I still didn't see the big deal with that, it didn't stop me from doing the rest of the game in full stealth/no kills. Since the boss fights were there and unavoidable I just kind of shrugged and did them and then went back to sneaking and not killing.

Because they know exactly what will happen when this game bombs at 50 bucks. Publiahers will claim Wiiu owners dont buy games and end all support. Of course Wiiu sales are dismal enough to do that anyway but still

Edit: Most of this content will probably come out as a patch for the other versions

Square had DQX confirmed for Wii U since early 2012. The game only sold about 250k opening month on NPD. Wii U already had its "test" games anyway. Publishers are making decisions based on the sales of CoD and Assassin's Creed, not a minor franchise like Deus Ex.

The console war isn't being fought with this game.

Wonder what will be 'striking' about the visual improvements? Game looked fairly good to start with iirc?

Judging from the pictures, it's lower resolution textures (check out the Final Fantasy 27 poster) and weak anti-aliasing.

They could very much be a roadblock. I don't call that minor at all. I remember having to alter what skills I took after reading about them from those that were further in the game then I was just so I was prepared. Had I continued on my original path I wouldn't have gotten through the fights as they currently are and would have likely had to restart and make sure my character was prepared or just got frustrated and not played anymore.
With this mentality, most encounters in the game are a potential roadblock. For instance, saving Malik is difficult for a stealth/Pacifist build, but totally possible.
Furthermore, the first boss is defeatable without firing a single bullet. The second and third aren't, but from what I remember, you can acquire everything you need to defeat them just before the fights (I recall an armory just before the second fight). They're hardly roadblocks at all, but they are absolutely jarring in this kind of game.

Doczu

You don't have to eat crow if you're right.

For now i'm only partially right (boss battles). If the graphics will be updated and the game will have a balance overhaul i will eat one. Instagram'd.

I do hope that it isn't the only upgrade. I'm not saying the game is ugly, but the Wii U can do better.

The_Lump

Banned
Judging from the pictures, it's lower resolution textures (check out the Final Fantasy 27 poster) and weak anti-aliasing.

Oh right, tha...

Wii U version has AA wich is not present in PS360 versions

"Pedneault insists these improvements wouldn't be possible on Xbox 360 simply because there's not enough disc space available. Neither, Dugas says, would the anti-aliasing, which wasn't present in the other console versions but is in the Wii U version."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nfirmed-and-yes-theyve-fixed-the-boss-battles

Hmmm, what to believe.

Effect

Deus Ex 4 is going to be PS4/720 just like Thief which is why this port makes little sense to begin with besides throwing wii u owners a bone. And didnt ME3 have issues? So im not convinced of straight rights porting ability

This is my biggest issue with this game and other late ports other then the prices. Late ports don't do well. They didn't do well on the PS3 and they didn't do well on the 360. They aren't doing well or going to do well on the Wii U. This is a known issue. However developers and publishers will be all to happy to use this as an excuse for why their future games aren't appearing on the system regardless if it makes good business sense.

I'm appreciative of the work that isn going into the game but that still doesn't excuse the price tag give how late this game is. I'm saying somewhat positive things about the game in this thread but price is still a big issue and I'm honestly in the end not getting it at $50 or even $40. I'll wait until it goes really low because I know no sequel will ever come. Also because when there will likely be actual new games one the system around the time it comes out.

It's why I didn't get Need for Speed even though that game seemed to have some effort behind. Not even the Origin sale could make get it to be honest even though I could have made it work financially. I fully expect the next Need for Speed game not to appear on the system regardless of how Most Wanted does so why waste the money.

I'm focusing at the moment on Nintendo made and published games with the exception of Monster Hunter given Nintendo and Capcom's relationship regarding that franchise. When it's assured that future games will appear regardless of how a late port does then I'll start looking at things differently.

Sendou

I do hope that it isn't the only upgrade. I'm not saying the game is ugly, but the Wii U can do better.

From the article:

Eidos Montreal was keen to improve the graphics for the Wii U version, too. The visuals seen in The Missing Link DLC had more of an impact, Dugas says, than those in the main game, because the developers were more comfortable with their tools when they came to create them. And so, The Missing Link benefited from work done to the game's shaders, which had the knock on effect of making environmental reflections on textures were better. And the lighting system was revamped to be based on an interpretation of a formula used by real world architects during the building planning stage to simulate how light will bounce around an environment. All the visual effects seen in The Missing Link were applied to the main game for the Director's Cut.

"It's much sharper," Dugas says. "There are more nuances between the light and dark places."

You might also notice a new fog system that, according to Pedneault, "makes the atmosphere really stand out". Shadows that were choppy have been smoothed, Dugas says. "It makes a big difference."

Pedneault insists these improvements wouldn't be possible on Xbox 360 simply because there's not enough disc space available. Neither, Dugas says, would the anti-aliasing, which wasn't present in the other console versions but is in the Wii U version.

"It's more powerful on the Wii U," Dugas says. "Even some of the graphics that were improved already on the 360 for The Missing Link, we were able to go a little bit farther with the Wii U, just because of the hardware. In terms of the shadows, which are smoothed out, it's much different than the Xbox version."

Wait is Straight Right doing this or Edios Montreal?

Both. It's probably more like Straight Right doing the work and Edios Montreal overseeing at some cabability.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wait, what? I'm pretty sure the PS3/360 versions had some form of post-process anti-aliasing.

Yeah, according to DF the 360 version used FXAA and the PS3 version used an altered version of FXAA or MLAA. I would expect the Wii U version to use some form of post-processing AA as well.

Effect

Wait is Straight Right doing this or Edios Montreal?

Both likely. Even though Mass Effect 3 was done by Straight Right they still had a Bioware team overseeing things. The producer that did interviews for ME3, Melanie Faulknor, was from Bioware. No one from Straight Right was ever the face for the game.

Meelow

Banned
Both. It's probably more like Straight Right doing the work and Edios Montreal overseeing at some cabability.

both by the looks of things

Both likely. Even though Mass Effect 3 was done by Straight Right they still had a Bioware team overseeing things. The producer that did interviews for ME3, Melanie Faulknor, was from Bioware. No one from Straight Right was ever the face for the game.

Oh, because if Straight Right wasn't doing it than they would be porting a different game.

The_Lump

Banned
Click the pictures, and believe your eyes?

I never played the PS3/360 versions of DEHR so I wouldn't know if they had AA or not.

Easy fella, I was just chuckling at the already conflicting information :)

But if you haven't played it, how are you concluding the WiiU version has lower resolution textures and "weak AA" from some screenshots?

tkscz

Easy fella, I was just chuckling at the already conflicting information :)

But if you haven't played it, how are you concluding the WiiU version has lower resolution textures and "weak AA" from some screenshots?

what screen shot? i couldn't find one. just what looks to be a photoshopped image of jeson with a wiiu gamepad

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
with a gamepad integration so heavy, it's not surprising honestly.
I love the offtv, but I can accept its absence if games use the gamepad in some deep way as this one seems to do

Agreed. If the developers integrated the Gamepad functionality heavily in the game, I have no problem with no Off-TV play. Look at Zombi-U. Nobody's complaining about no Off-TV for that title.

Top Bottom